Archinect
anchor

Should I go abroad to complete IDP? South America!

Rickie

Hello fellow archinectors!

I am six months from completing IDP.  I haven't been able to find work in the United States, it is a tough market.  I love architecture, but I love traveling just as much, and sitting at home waiting for a job has been getting to me.  Also, I was born and raised in the States, but my family is from Latin America.

According to NCARB, I can satisfy up to 1 year of the requirements by working abroad.  The experience has to be under a registered architect in that country.  If I do this, I can successfully complete NCARB, finally.  I'd be going to South America...life is cheaper, and I am fluent in espanol.

What are your thoughts?  Has anyone ever done this before?

Feb 29, 12 6:17 pm
WhatsOnTheARE

Go for it! You will ultimately be happier and may even decide to get licensed in SA and give back. Which country are you thinking about ?

Feb 29, 12 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
WhatsOnTheARE

Maybe you can bring back some of the pre-colonial architecture and restore the architectural culture and pride. http://www.bumblehood.com/en/article/erFgeoV0RKiRQ30UiZUJ7w

Feb 29, 12 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Rickie

Thanks!  I have family in Chile and Ecuador.  These would be my first two choices.  Working in architecture, traveling abroad  and experiencing another way of life would be very rewarding.

Feb 29, 12 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Rickie

Any advice?  Anyone?

Mar 1, 12 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
archmart

Wondering if anyone has advice for gaining IDP hours in South America under a licensed Architect from that foreign country? Is this possible?

Sep 28, 14 5:13 am  · 
 · 
OM..

I worked abroad and gained IDP hours while working under a registered architect. You just log your hours as you would in the States and they approve them- it's very easy.

Just find a good firm and go for it!

Sep 28, 14 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Rickie, Go for it and don't rule out working there long term. Some of the best modern architecture comes from South America, as you well know. And the young women there are just fantastic; you will have a wonderful social life as well. Go!

Sep 28, 14 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

As far as i remember from the IDP handout, you can earn up to 1800 hrs abroad working under a US registered architect. Remaining hours should be spent in the US.

Sep 29, 14 2:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: