anchor

Olfa vs. X-Acto

colinrichardson

There's only one answer....

OLFA, MOTHER-CUTTER!!!!!

these r tha best.... no-1 betr disagree with me

X-TRA HEAVY DUTY

chek this 1 out-- crazy-long handle

x-acto luzas- don't talk sh*t... i used to crit utility knives, so i know wut i'm talkin about.

May 26, 06 5:45 pm
FrankLloydMike

haha. this is so much better than the yale vs. harvard thread. i'm totally with you about olfa, except that i have an excel knife (don't give me that constantly loosening x-acto bullshit) for precision, but i almost always use the olfa! ps. "mother-cutter" is amazing.

May 26, 06 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Olfa fo'sho. Got this dope one that had a paint can opener on the end. Haven't had a chance to try that out yet.

May 26, 06 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

I love 'em both!

May 26, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

My X-Acto has more control and better feel than your stinkin' Olfa!

May 26, 06 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

it's all about the OLFA L-2 with its rubber grip! although for more precise cutting i do use the X-Acto

May 26, 06 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

oh, I want one. anti-roll device...nice.

http://www.olfa.com/Products.asp?C=13&P=95

May 26, 06 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
AP

let me see you do THIS with your sorry OLFA!

HA!

actually, I prefer the convenience of an OLFA, but there are certain things that require the precision of the x-acto:

May 26, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
AP

oooooh. some pretty sweet offerings on the olfa site that I wasn't aware of:

May 26, 06 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

olfa for the big cuts, xacto for controlled cuts.

May 26, 06 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

Your xacto aint shit.

May 26, 06 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

xacto, presicion in my work is everything. Alot of my fellow studiomates use olfa, but they're models typically lack the presicion of the xacto. I keep an olfa for the big stuff though.

May 26, 06 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
count spectacula

Interesting side note.... my japanese studio-mate informed me that Ol Fa means "snap off" in Japanese...

May 26, 06 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
AP

x-acto means "ridiculously precise" in english ;)

May 26, 06 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Sweet. And true.

May 27, 06 10:15 am  · 
 · 
rayray

no contest - x-acto

May 27, 06 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

The last thing you wanna hear during a crit is the "craft" comment. "Umm, no offense, but it looks like a dog chewed on this model and then barfed back up." Or "this model looks like it was made with a rusty axe by a blind axe murderer." People who use olfa exclusively tend to get more craft comments than the anal x-acto users.

May 27, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

No wonder there is so much hatred in the world when there is so much black and white. Olfa for big, straight pieces, X-acto for exactitudinous work. Use all your tools. GEEEEZ

May 27, 06 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

I've been using this very knife since undergrad for big and small precision required pieces. awesome. and i haven't slipped and cut my finger, ever. *knock on wood*

May 27, 06 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

Surprising brand loyalty here. Beat the Olfa crew at their own game: you can cleanly snap the end off of a no.11 x-acto blade at least twice if you use a pair of pliers and a swift motion. You could say that extending the life of your blade....is a SNAP (OH!).

May 27, 06 7:47 pm  · 
 · 

I have had x-actos dislodged from my head, arm and shoulder. But I still love them...but I only use the ones that look like Ol Fa's the we lil bladed ones are shite. But it doesn't matter to me anymore I have minions to make my models

May 29, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
archinaut

for the minimalist OLFA user:

May 29, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
archinaut

for the minimalist OLFA user:

the OLFA SILVER

May 29, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Sexy! But how does it perform?

May 29, 06 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
alexan

your puny knives whimper beneath my horsepower

May 29, 06 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

if you wanna gut a fish then use an olfa, but if you wanna nice clean A+ model x acto is the only road to go down. and im out!!!!!

May 30, 06 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

if you wanna gut a fish then use an olfa, but if you wanna nice clean A+ model x acto is the only road to go down. and im out!!!!!

May 30, 06 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
robertgandy

i used to use olfa..that was my turndown or my cutting weakness. when i started to use an x acto...my bad cuts were all gone...precision is what i needed...and with the round handle, when u go around a turn , u can rotate it without having to actually take the knife out of your hand and reposition. i still use an olfa for straight cuts..but when i need to be on point with a cut, i will pull out the x acto...the laser of cutting!!! i love it.. 

Feb 21, 17 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

12 year old thread!  Do you work for x acto?

Feb 21, 17 9:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: