Archinect
anchor

Home made lighting fixtures

4arch

I've pretty much given up any hope of finding decent yet inexpensive store-bought fixtures. I need one for over my Ikea vanity and one each for my front and back porches. I have in mind what I want, so I figured I'd design and build them myself rather than settling for the banal.

Anybody ever done this successfully? Any tips for avoiding burning my house down? Is it better to start with a store bought fixture and modify it, or just to completely start from scratch?

May 4, 06 9:33 am

you hit the nail on the head

Unless you are an electrical hobbyist its best to start from a kit. You can buy basic outlets in a variety of sizes, for different bulbs etc from just about anywhere.

I did a project about 8 years ago, was cheaper to buy some cheap fixtures than the kits, got some fabricators to weld loops and I did the rest myself - first design build. Cost about U$20 less the original cost, and they looked like 300, when the interior was changed the owner took the fixtures and placed them in a hotel they owned...so they couldn't have been that bad ;)

May 4, 06 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
art tech geek

the issues are primarily in UL compliance which is meant to assure consumer safety.

1) all of the wiring has to be basically untouchable. All of the components you use should have UL listed stickers - or cast impressions. Putting them together means these components have all the wiring secured correctly and then concealed inside of threaded pipe, using nipple connectors and matching fittings - ie. sockets. out of touch, sight etc.

2) installation issues - how much heat will the fixture create on itself - the materials & the environment. the bigger the bulb(s) the more adequate +++ the proximity to its surroundings including flat walls behind (paint makes a difference) and the ceiling or overhang.

Investigating retro fitting existing fixtures - there are lots of UL listed fixtures out there that in my opinion are not necessarily safe because of where people have them installed. Too much heat, in the wrong places.

Bummers:
A ) is that the stranded copper 14 ga. wire comes in LONG 500 foot SPOOLS - $$$ if you are only doing a couple of fixtures. It is flexible enough to get into and around 90 degree & odd bends in a tight piece of threaded pipe.
B ) If you have to tap into metal to make a fixture - the pretap for standard electrical threaded pipe is an R drill - quite expensive also. The taps are about 5 bucks - that little drill was about $37. That price just about gave me a cardiacattack. A good industrial hardware store - ie. Shamrock Supply (near 110 & 91 interchange) can help with taps & such.

In my area - there is an electrical component supplier - Lighthouse Electric in SP. I regularly rifle thru the bins. They also will order things for me. There are several around in the LA area. Spot Lighting in LB on PCH just east of the 710/river has really nice bulb selection - ie. zero start ballasts for fluorescent fixtures (they don't buzzzzzzzz) & 6 foot tubes.

You are gonna have fun. If you have a question - feel free to shoot me an email. i used to work as an art director for an electrical sign company - so I had a starting point of having drawn things that were UL ok - for several years before I ever tackled actually making something on my own.

May 5, 06 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I made a lamp that's been working for about 7 years now. Just go to your local hardware store or Home Depot/Lowe's and buy what you need. I went with a fluorescent bulb, just for safety (the 'shade' was plexiglass). It's pretty damn simple - screw in the cord, screw in the switch, add bulb, viola! You have yourself a custom light!

May 5, 06 8:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: