Archinect
anchor

Louisville

le bossman

Going down for the weekend.  Do any of you Louisville humans have any recommendations?  Interesting buildings, graveyards, cool bars, places to eat etc?

Apr 22, 11 9:46 am

grab a free paper when you arrive: it's called LEO. any good acts that will be in town will be listed there.  all i know right now for this week are 1) a great local band named dallas alice (tonight) at air devils inn - the dive of all dives and 2) decemberists at our outdoor amphitheater on tuesday. dallas alice are rowdy/raucous tongue-in-cheek country rock. if that doesn't make them sound fun, i've just described them badly.

check out 21c for the free art gallery, but also for the great bar/restaurant 'proof' - my favorite in town. other restaurants to seek out: blind pig (don't pass up the bacon butter pecan ice cream); doc crow's; 732 social (ask your server to make a selection for you from the cheese menu); ghyslain's; jack fry's. you can't go wrong with any of these. i've heard good reports but haven't visited hammerhead's (a dive with good food), eiderdown, and dragon king's daughter.

for drinks, check out 'the beer store' on market, not technically a bar, but they can serve "samples". the same owners have an awesome new place in a former church in the highlands called the holy grale. (don't hold the punny spelling against 'em.) of the places listed above, proof, 732 social, jack fry's and blind pig also have very respectable bars. for good dives: outlook inn, seidenfaden's. for microbrews: cumberland brews, bluegrass brewing company (bbc).

cave hill cemetery is pretty great. big formal gatehouse/tower structure and a classic curving-drives parklike setting.  and colonel sanders.  other than that, we're short on interesting graveyards. there is one across from the phoenix hill tavern that has limited fame: it's the place mark olson (jayhawks) references in the lyrics of 'miss victoria's guitar'. 

buildings to visit: graves' humana tower. mies' american life building. 21c is a rehab project by deborah berke. the kentucky museum of art and design is a cool rehab by chu/gooding. there are a bunch of other places, but not springing to mind. any help, donna? 

not architectural, but the hillerich & bradsby louisville slugger bat factory is a cool-ish thing to do. and louisville slugger field is a really wonderful place to watch a game.

drop me an email if you want to consider a meet-up. i'm out of town saturday afternoon to sunday afternoon, but may be up for a drink sunday night. or some time.  

drink bourbon while you're here. it's the patriotic thing to do.  

Apr 22, 11 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

oh, and churchill downs doesn't open for spring meet until 30 april. you COULD ride over  to lexington and catch the ending of the spring meet at keeneland. (a beautiful track.) 

i'm sure i'll think of more things.

Apr 22, 11 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Dallas Alice?  Were they named "let it roll?"

Apr 22, 11 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

not that i know. each of them were in several other louisville bands but they've got something good going since they came together in this lineup. 

Apr 22, 11 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Dangit, I meant to say "Were they named AFTER 'Let it Roll?"  Didn't hit the edit button fast enough.

Apr 22, 11 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

they've driven the back roads so they won't get weighed.

Apr 22, 11 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow, two songs they could be named after.  Crazy.

Now I wonder if the songs are linked.

Sorry about the hijack, Bossman.

Apr 22, 11 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

my cousin is going to be at keenland but i'm not going to be able to make it as i'm leaving chicago at noon.  thanks for the info.  

Apr 22, 11 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

My friend is owner and head chef at Social 732.  My friends and I went back in October and we all agreed, it was some of the best food we'd ever eaten.

Apr 22, 11 4:38 pm  · 
 · 

I have nothing to add except that L'ville is a super cool town, cooler even than Austin, IMO. And definitely go to 21C and take a pee in the men's lobby level bathroom - bossman, with nothing but respect and affection, you strike me as the kind of guy that would enjoy that experience.  If I were a guy, I would!

Apr 22, 11 7:11 pm  · 
 · 

Southern Culture on the Skids tonight at Headliners on Lexington Rd. Always a good show. If you go, don't stand at the bar: the sounds sux. Best sound in the house is right in front of the sound board.

Go to Lynn's Paradise Cafe, North End Cafe, or Proof for breakfast. All good. I've also heard good things about Toast. 

Or you could always pick up the best omelette in the world at the Bardstown Road Farmer's Market this morning. 

Apr 23, 11 8:48 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

That it would be better than Austin makes me skeptical, but I have an open mind.  These are good suggestions.  I'll bring my ipod so I can look them up.  If it looks like I'll have some free time for a drink on Sunday night Steven, I'll definitely shoot you an email. 

Best

LB

Apr 23, 11 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: