Archinect
anchor

Washington DC graduate programs

holeyman

Information on MArch programs in DC area is meager in this forum.

What are your thoughts on the graduate programs for Maryland, Catholic or VTech-Washington Alexandria Center?

Apr 12, 06 1:20 pm
orEqual

I had a professor who strongly encouraged me to consider the VTech program (the "Consortium"). I'm surprised that no one seems to have mentioned it in the other threads. He told me that if I wanted to have total control over my education, then the Consortium was the place to be. I knew a handful of students who had studied there for a semester, and they all loved it.

This professor also wouldn't write me a recommendation letter to Princeton because I couldn't convince him that Michael Graves and Stanley Tigerman were no longer involved with the program in any way. Eisenman almost ruined it for Yale. Best professor that I ever had...

Apr 12, 06 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
some person

WAAC was discussed in a thread a few months ago...great place.

Apr 12, 06 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Here's the link to the discussion, btw.

WAAC

Apr 12, 06 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
cnl3b

I work in a Northern VA firm and my boss once told me he thought the most prepared graduates (from the schools in this area) came from VaTech. I just applied to school and and am thinking of accepting admission at Catholic because of the huge scholarship they gave me, but am a bit hesitant because I'm not too sure about the quality of the program.

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that for the three-year VaTech M.Arch program you were required to spend two years in Blacksburg and could only spend your last year at WAAC.

Apr 12, 06 11:38 pm  · 
 · 

Maryland has a strong program with a focus on building craft, history and (mostly traditional) urbanism.

Best thing to do, maybe you have already, is to go visit each school. I get the impression that all 3 are pretty different.

Apr 13, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

Useless social commentary:

I have never submitted an app so half-assed as the one I did for catholic and i got in.... apparently the student population is really really conservative there. Their website hasn't been updated in years.

UMD has a good social scene. Might be a good dept. I should have applied there, noting that I'm a maryland res.

VATech.. no clue.

Apr 13, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
gogetter

I got accepted to VTech - MArch2.
I may have to take a few courses at Blacksburg campus, only because my coursework from undergrad did not meet their requirement. Otherwise, I believe you can complete the program at Alexandria campus.
Maybe the 3 year program is different though......

Apr 13, 06 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
J3

I am a graduate of the WAAC ('02)
Any questions? ask and I will try to answer.

Apr 14, 06 8:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: