Archinect
anchor

Anyone knows about Politecnico di Milano?

ninja

My school want to recommend me as graduate student to study there. But I know nothing about the school. Should I go or not?Help!

Apr 12, 06 5:14 am
French

I only know about their department of research in design for inhabited spaceships. They have published a small book of case tudies (that's actually a thesis); it's really plain and sort of ugly looking and boring to read, but it's the only book of this kind that I've found, which probably means that this department is a good one. By the way, on a side note, if anybody knows more about this topic I'd love to get more info on that topic...

Apr 12, 06 5:53 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

ninja.Its a reputed university, ( My friend who studied there liked it )
and the renonwed master architect Mario Botta is one of the faculty there.( dont know if he still lectures there though )

Apr 12, 06 6:01 am  · 
 · 
matteo

yes, me, i'm studying there.

what do you want to know?

Apr 13, 06 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
ninja

matteo,

R u a graduate student of master of science of architecture? nice to meet u.

How is the program in your opinion? I heard from my peers that the school is very reputed in Europe, but it seems to me emphasis more on the technology and science aspect of archiecture, is that true?

To be honest I do not have very strong technology backgraound or interest now since my B.Arch is studio- based. Besides, I do not speech Italian. Although I know the master of science of architecture is English based, would launage be an big issue?( I have one professor form Italy and he speaks lousy English.

BTW, I do looooove the design and art environment at Milan. Especialy there are many world class architect-based designers going out of the school, and to me that is way tempting. However, I will only have 2 years of study there, barely could I pick up any Italian for that time limit I think.

Dying to hear your advices.

Apr 13, 06 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

uhm, dont.
no offense, but if i had the choise between studying Architecture in italy or anywhere else in europe, i'do go anywhere else.

backward, huge, machine like, alienating, void of research, void of avantguard, non stimulating environment.

having said that, it's probably the best Architecture school in italy right now (rome's la terza is a close call)

Apr 13, 06 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

(i agree with bigness, i go there just because i live close to it, if i had to move i would have chosen another university in europe.)

where have you studied so far?
why have you decided to come here to study?
do you have other choices?

Politecnico is an international environment, but sometimes is could be alienating, but it is stimulating after all.

the graduate curriculum is spilt in 5 branches.
1_ architecture + urbanism
2_ architecture tecnhology
3_ restoration/conservation
4_ intern design architecture
5_ green architecture

i'm going for architecture technology, the laboratory is mainly focused on the technology aspects of architecture, the codes and the rules you have to face once you are out of university and have to work in real life.

architecture + urbanism is more theoretical, laboratory is easy (you don't even have to calculate the structure of your projects), mainly based on the research of the environment and the ideas that lead you to your project

if you like the field of the green architecture, it can be easily studied on your own and used in your project in the above laboratories.

restoration/conservation is quite good if you like the subject.

intern design architecture is good, but it doesn't have so much sense in my opinion. why do you ahve to study architecture if you want to be simply an interior designer?

the program is quite good, apart of the laboratories there are courses on structures, history, maths, economy and sociology, which give you a wide knowledge of the world of architecture.
once you graduate from politecnico you won't have difficulties to find a good job.

politecnico has a strong relationship with other european and non european universities, every year on march you can apply for the erasmus program that makes you study in a european university for a sememster or an entire year.

language could be an issue, but i heard, from a person in the university senate, but nothing ufficial yet, that next year there could be an entire graduate course of study held in english, so labs, studios and classes held in english.
anyhow, every year we get hundreds of erasmus students, which italian is not their first language, but they have never had any problem in learning the language and express themselves.
politecnico always schedules italian courses for foreigners.

Apr 14, 06 10:57 am  · 
 · 
ninja

matteo,

Thank you very much,
your info is of great help.
I am actually a B.Arch from China, now at the end of my five year undergraduate life. The Politecnico di Milano study thing is a scholarship project held between China and Italy. So my school has one position in this and want to recommend me.

I do not know much about the school except that it is well known for bringing people like Piano, but the price is if I choose to take this offer, after my graduation I will have to come back to China to work for the government for at leat 2 years. That is the deal.

I actually do have other choices. I have received offer of admission from some schools in US, they are UC Berkelry, UVA and Cornell.
I am so confused because these r very different approaches. To me it is so hard to compare them.

My interest lies in interdisciplinary realm of Architectural design and Urban design. Which is well spread in lots of palces n the world today.
I also love to have the opportunity to make a transition to touch other design realms such as fashion and cartoon...hehehe

Apr 14, 06 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

uhm,i would pick cornell.

as cool and fashionable as milano sound, is not going to do NOTHING for either your education or your cv (don't expect to get important contacts there, Architecture in italy is a very small affair, aside from piano and a few others)

seriously, go tho the states, it will be better all around: for your education, for your cv, for your contacts.

Apr 14, 06 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

if i were you, i would pick Politecnico.

why?
1_because in the future we will be even more open on china market, more than the states.
2_i know a chinese here who came here for these reasons:

a) China is more european than american, you are always looking at here for the new fashion trends and the things to copy and reproduce.

b) there are lots of italian architects who are working on their own in China right now, and since he doesn't want to work for big american corporations, he chose to come here to work in the future back in China with italian/european governments, istitutions, and private architects.

it's hard to work there, because foreign architect must learn chinese architect's way of doing. you could easily work with italian architets because you already know what we are looking for in a project and you know the language too.

WA, World Architecture, the most important chinese magazine on architecture, dedicated 2 issues to italian architecture, september and october 2005. you can take a look there and see if you like what you see.

Apr 15, 06 6:17 am  · 
 · 
ninja

Thanks alot matteo,

very constructive input. And I am impressed by your knowledge of Chinese architecture industry

I am seriously considering Italy now.

But to tell you the secret, I personally treasure the opportunity to study in the US very much because after all, it is gained through inumerous hard work and trying on my own though last 5 years. Thoes US schools have always been attractive to me since my high school. Although I would love to learn Italian and I believe that I could thrive in either of the two countries.

Apr 15, 06 10:47 am  · 
 · 
ninja

bigness ,

may I ask why amoung the US schools, you prefer Cornell most?
I heared that there M. Arch is not as strong as their B.Arch though.

Apr 15, 06 10:51 am  · 
 · 
matteo

right, i know what you mean.

it's a hard choice, but i think that you are gaining lots of usefull information here.

last thing i would like to tell you, maybe it's something that you might consider in your choice.
tuition + fee here is very low, for a foreigner is not even 10.000 euro per year (local pays up to 5.000/6.000 euro/year), so making a comparison is not even a semester in any us university.
and consider that the graduate course lasts only 2 years.

good luck.

Apr 15, 06 11:34 am  · 
 · 
ninja

Thank you matteo ,

I am really gaining alot.

The cost in US is really a HUGE issue.

You really understand me well:)

Apr 15, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
aarushi

I am an architect from India and very interested in interior design at  Politecnico di Milano.  Would you anyone have any information about the program, there is hardly any information over the net  ?

Oct 17, 16 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: