Archinect
anchor

Groundhog Day or What About Bob?

Manteno_Montenegro

My friends, Groundhog Day has always been one of my favorite movies. Recently, though, I have watched What About Bob a few times, and I'm starting to wonder if it doesn't rival the warm and dark hilarity of Groundhog Day.
I'm seriously in limbo now as to choose which is Bill Murray's greater roll.

Can someone please offer me some opinions on either movie?

Jul 7, 04 4:35 pm
duke19_98

Have you seen Lost in Translation.... It is defiantly Bill Murray's greatest role. Far better than groundhog day or what about bob.

check it out.

Jul 7, 04 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
buffalo fill

I believe Rushmore should be on the list as well.

Jul 7, 04 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

If you are in SF the Roxie theater is having a Bill Murray Marathon.

http://www.roxie.com/July04.html#Murray

Jul 7, 04 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

bfunk - another film of note to be playing at the SF Roxie is Rivers and Tides : Andy Goldsworthy Working With Time

Jul 7, 04 4:48 pm  · 
1  · 
db

Groundhog Day for sure over What About Bob, though you should also see Quick Change -- the 3 together would be a great box set.

I keep wanting the dvd of GHDay so I can count how many days he actually goes through. Is there anyone who has done this and knows?

Lost in Translation and Rushmore (and Royal Tennanbaum's) are great in there own right, but I don't think they're in the same vein as these others.

Jul 7, 04 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

38 days shown on screen but 33 years 350 days total according to yahoo! UK staff

Feb 2, 24 9:08 am  · 
 · 
betamax

Royal Tenebaums takes a close close second to Caddyshack and Ghostbusters (1) is in a near third. I would say all the previously mentioned movies don't hold a match to those classic Murray performances. Lost in Translation is a great film...but it juust doesn't do Bill right.

Jul 7, 04 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
buffalo fill

It seems that Groundhog Day has stood the test of time better than What About Bob. Therefore, I think GDay is the more appropriate choice.

Jul 7, 04 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

groundhog day is better, but i definitely like lost in translation better than any bill murray movie. that chick in it is hot also, my type.

Jul 7, 04 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

how can the role of Carl spackle played by bill Murray in caddy shack ever be beaten? with such great lines as "Cinderella story here at Augusta, from greens keeper to professional golfer. he is about 346 yards out, looks like he has a 5 iron...he hits it...its in the hole!!"
and "I don't think the heavy stuff is going to come down for quite some time"
and of course " if I kill all the golfers they will lock me up and throw away the key. ohh gofers, we don't even need a reason to do that"

Jul 7, 04 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

sorry...Carl Spakler

Jul 7, 04 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

well, okay...but its definitely a different strain of movie, and a different kind of humor. the reason i like lost in translation is that it is an anomaly in murray's work, and deals with all sorts of issues he hasn't dealt with in the past. it is even a comedy as much as it is just an awkward film.

Jul 7, 04 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

Paul

Rivers & Tides is a well done film, I thought, a fluid cinematic revelation much like his work itself. Have you seen it yet? I reccomend it to anyone who has not.

Jul 7, 04 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

OMG...
For starters, I have seen Lost in Translation and Rushmore and Royal Tennenbaums...Murray got rooked for the Oscar for Translation.
But...I'm not talking about those movies!
Grrrrrr!!

Anyhow, Groundhog Day gets my vote, because I've really said prayers that I could one day have that happen to my life.

Jul 7, 04 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
jhopkins

all these are great films, but groundhog's day gets my vote.
other murray classics, in my opinion, are in no particular order:
cradle will rock, scrooged, kingpin, stripes, the man who knew to little
with cradle will rock taking best picture and the others just being perfect vehicles for murrays cheeseball slapstick.

Jul 7, 04 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Has anyone seen the german film Gegen Die Wand? I saw it in Germany a few months ago. It's an excellent film. (not that it has anything to due with bill murray) Does anyone know when it is going to be released in the US?

Jul 7, 04 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

ok so no one here has heard of STRIPES? One of the funniest anti-military films EVER!

Jul 7, 04 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
benny

meatballs!

but from the two, What About Bob-- R.Dreyfus is great in that.

Jul 7, 04 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Ddot

I had a friend visit me when I lived in New Hampshire who was thrilled when I drove her to see Like Winnipesaukee, because she loved What About Bob so much. It's a good movie, to be sure, but I have to vote Groundhog Day. Much more fun.

Jul 7, 04 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
LaTorpilleRose

I love the Tourettes scene in What About Bob. Like anyone can just will that upon themselves!
I always wanted Tourettes as a child, I still want it badly.

Jul 7, 04 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Caddyshack

Jul 8, 04 12:28 am  · 
 · 

HOW BOUT CADDY SHACK , I ONCE PLAYED GOLF WITH THE DAILI LAMA HIMSELF . YOU KNOW WHAT HE SAID TI ME ?/

Jul 8, 04 9:32 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

"so i'v got that going for me, which is nice"

Jul 8, 04 9:55 am  · 
 · 
the righteous fist

lol, now watch this drive

Jul 8, 04 10:07 am  · 
 · 
mm

Has anyone else noticed that Groundhog Day gets funnier each time you watch it?

Odd how that happens, given the storyline of the movie.

Jul 8, 04 11:26 am  · 
 · 
nameisinuse

stripes...

"why did the chicken cross the road?"
"to get to the other side, SIR!"

Jul 8, 04 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Ramsey

I wanna party with you cowboy. You and me together? Forget it!

Jul 8, 04 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

groundhog day!

Feb 2, 13 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

New news on Groundhog Day!

how long was Phil Connors stuck?!?

Feb 2, 24 9:09 am  · 
1  · 

We were just talking about that in the office!

Feb 2, 24 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: