Archinect
anchor

Harvard GSD portfolio

just me

Hi

I would love to see examples of portfolios that got excepted to Harvard's GSD MArch I program.

Can anyone help?

THANKS

Apr 1, 06 9:37 am
just me

portfolio's excepted to princeton would also be good

Apr 1, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
just me

Thanks but I would love to see Princeton portfolio's

Apr 16, 06 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
awol

are there really portfolio "types" that get you accepted to grad school (beyond "legible," "not on a CD" and "not overly bulky")? i did admissions processing for my department once and it was personal style statements galore.

Apr 16, 06 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
ess

another question regarding your wish list:

excepted portfolios or accepted portfolios -- there's quite a difference.

Apr 16, 06 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
just me

I have asked for accepted portfolios because I’m from a furniture and product design background and I’m interested in a MArch 1 from Princeton (preferably) or if not Harvard. But I have no idea if my portfolio will be excepted, because I have no architecture work.

My portfolio is very good when compared to other furniture and product portfolios but I have no idea weather this will translate.

I would also like to know from what background the princeton students come from and how many are international students?

Apr 16, 06 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
just me

sorry "accepted" on "excepted"

Apr 16, 06 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
ess

all of the resources you are asking for exist on this site; you have to invest the time and energy to assimilate them. i will spell it out:

go to the link that jasoncross has provided above. write down the names of those people that have included a link to their portfolios/graduate school submissions. now, go to the 'accepted to grad schools' thread in order to cross reference the two pieces of information. you will see very clearly who was accepted to which program/s.

Apr 16, 06 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
marketfair

make sure ewe have someone grammar/spell-check your statement before you send it...

Apr 16, 06 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
just me

marketfair I'm very sorry for my spelling offended you. but unlike you, English is NOT my first language,

thanks ess i will try that but why duos everyone on this discussion seem to have a attitude problem, i’m just trying to find some information out and as for your comment “you have to invest the time and energy” i have been searching all the threads and spent a long time on the princeton website trying to find-out the information but i just hoped that someone that attended the college might be able to give me some insight

Apr 16, 06 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
awol

it's just an attempt not to create duplicate threads everywhere, which would make it irrelevant to have threads at all.

i would take jasoncross' advice with the thread you should look at - it's the fault of the thread-searching software that it's difficult to find what you are looking for.

Apr 16, 06 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
just me

i have had a look at the jasoncross link but i couldn't find anything relevant to me and a lot of the links no longer work. all of the portfolios are from people with arch backgrounds so its really difficult to compare to my work.

but thanks awol

and im sorry my last post made me sound lick a dickhead i’m really not. its just the language thing can make posting on a site like this difficult.

Apr 16, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
ess

justme - it is the duplicate thread thing that aggravates a lot of readers on this site...not to mention that so many people seemingly want information brought to them on a platter -- information that already exists abundantly on this board; they just never take the time to do their homework. i apologize for being cross and mistakenly lumping you into this category.

i just looked on princeton's site to see that the have 04/05 m.arch theses posted. this might be helpful to you in order to understand what caliber of work comes out of the program. i think, though, that awol makes a good point about schools specifying portfolio types to potential applicants. if they did this - or going a level above, actually posted accepted portfolios on their website -- every portfolio in the next round of admissions would look exactly like that which they posted. (not to mention make for an incredibly robotic submission/decision process for the school, having to rummage through hundreds of the nearly same submission).

Apr 16, 06 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
ess

..and just another thought. maybe go through some threads to find some current princeton students (i know i've read posts from one or two on here). email them with your questions an concerns. after all, they've gotten to where you'd like to be.

Apr 16, 06 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
surface

just me,

It made me smile to see that you consider yourself to have limited language ability in English, due to it not being your first language, yet you know the rather unconventional term "dickhead!"

Here is one portfolio technique I am using myself: Look at all the schools you are applying to, and make an Excel spreadsheet of their requirements. Some specify maximum dimensions - so make your portfolio the size of the smallest allowed maximum dimension. Some specify a maximum thickness - so make yours the smallest maximum thickness. Some specify a maximum number of pages, some want it bound in a specific way, and so on...so basically, make a table comparing all of these things, and then make one portfolio that suits every school you are applying to.

Regarding the Princeton website of M.arch theses - don't forget that those are the portfolios of students who are GRADUATING from the program. Princeton and other schools surely have very high standards for applicants, but you could hardly be expected to produce a portfolio of such a calibre as these M.Arch theses when you are just APPLYING to the school.

Apr 16, 06 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
just me

thanks susan surface that could be useful

as for "dickhead" i had some English and American friends at college and it was a lot less unconventional than you would expect, i'm glad i could make you smile with that, as all i've seemed to do is piss everyone off witch was not what i wanted to do.

ess thanks, i have seen the Princeton site and did notice that one of the students from the thesis projects posts on the site, so i have dun my homework and i apologize if i given the impression that i just want everyone to do the work for me. i am very willing to spend the time researching, this post was just one way i was trying to get the information

i am NOT trying to find out "specifying portfolio types to potential applicants" but i am simply trying to find out if anyone from a furniture and product background has recently or ever been excepted (and i will send this to all the people i can find that have gone to Princeton, but i thought that if i did it through a post then the information would be open to anyone else who comes from my background and is looking for similar information, i thought that was the point of a site like this)

Apr 16, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
just me

as for "dickhead" i had some English and American friends at college and it was a lot less unconventional than you would expect, i'm glad i could make you smile with that, as all i've seemed to do is piss everyone off witch was not what i wanted to do.

ess thanks, i have seen the Princeton site and did notice that one of the students from the thesis projects posts on the site, so i have dun my homework and i apologize if i given the impression that i just want everyone to do the work for me. i am very willing to spend the time researching, this post was just one way i was trying to get the information

i am NOT trying to find out "specifying portfolio types to potential applicants" but i am simply trying to find out if anyone from a furniture and product background has recently or ever been excepted (and i will send this to all the people i can find that have gone to Princeton, but i thought that if i did it through a post then the information would be open to anyone else who comes from my background and is looking for similar information, i thought that was the point of a site like this)

Apr 16, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
just me

Apr 16, 06 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
just me

sorry for double posting (didn't mean to)

Apr 16, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
oldirty

Is there any way we could have a moratorium on new applying to grad school threads until sometime in September? It seems like everything people would want/need to know is already on here and has been repeated ad nauseum, so they should just look for it instead of creating new threads. Maybe it would prevent bandwitdth issues (if there are any) and give space for other discussions. Just a suggestion.

Apr 16, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

hey, c'mon, you can have all the discussions you want regardless of the other threads...just don't read them!

Apr 16, 06 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
Matthew Allen
Matthew Allen

wow, sorry that's such a big file. its high enough quality that you could print out a copy and send it in yourself! wheeee!

oh it was printed double-sided on 11x17 paper, folded and hand bound. the cover was just cover stock. $18 per copy at kinkos...

Apr 17, 06 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Matthew Allen

one more. gsd:accept; princeton:reject; penn:accept; columbia:accept. i'm going to the gsd.

Apr 17, 06 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

matt, is this for march I?

nice presentation, i really like the layouts

Apr 17, 06 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
nervoussystem

Matthew Allen, did we meet on a train once perhaps?

Apr 17, 06 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
Matthew Allen

yeah maybe. was it from albany to boston? i do remember that. whats up?

Apr 17, 06 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
rexxer

chupacabra, is that for MArch II?

Hey Matthew Allen, your portfolio is gone (account suspended, apparently). Any chance you can put it up again?

Mar 30, 09 8:35 am  · 
 · 
jizzy

apparently this [removed] got into march 1, which is surprising since her ptf is mediocre at best. u can find her ptf at [removed] she mustve had extremely high gre/gpa and great lors/personal statement. either that or its easier to get into the gsd than i thought

Apr 16, 09 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
rexxer

Wow, she got into "Harvard, Berkeley, Yale, Columbia, University of Texas, University of Virginia, and Princeton". Surprising. I guess you're right; her non-portfolio factors must have been exceptional.

Apr 16, 09 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

"non-portfolio factors"

there are so many ways that could go.

Apr 17, 09 1:07 am  · 
 · 
job job

guys, don't let your personal anxieties on grad school applications blind your social grace - unless you've always been assholes.

Apr 17, 09 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
MossMan

That portfolio is actually quite good. It's clean, legible, and simple. I don't know what kind of skills you all have but [removed]'s portfolio is legit. She is very deserving of being at the GSD.

Apr 17, 09 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
jizzy

since shes not here, i wasnt intentionally bein an asshole - just stating my humbleopinion kind sir. i was, however, being an ass. which brings me to my next point ...

mossman: if cleanliness, legibility and simplicity are sufficient for admittance to top schools, i might as well cut a chunk of my nice hot ass off with a chain saw, scrub this baby up with soap and laundry detergent, and write "fuck me" in clear nice and simple letters on the right cheek and send it to them as my ptf as a personification of me

but in all seriousness (or as much as i can possibly conjure up at this moment in time and space), my statement of her ptf being "mediocre at best" was based on not the organization of the ptf but instead the content itself. her stuff is ok but by no means amazing or innovative, which i thought schools like gsd, gsapp would expect

just my 2 cents. take em or i'll shove thme up your ass for you

Apr 18, 09 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
MAMBO

I'm applying for a M.Arch this year to a few schools, including GSD. When I have my portfolio ready I'll post it here for all of you to critique (and spit upon, if you wish).

Most of the links here don't work. For those that do:

Quilian Riano: looks good to me. I'm applying as non-AP (with no architectural background) so I am in no position to accurately judge the quality of your portfolio (since it mainly consists of architectural work), but my intuition says it's very nice.

[removed]'s doesn't look that bad. Remember that this isn't art school. I guess they're looking past artistic skill and more at factors like design and spatial awareness, which the portfolio seems to demonstrate fine.

Apr 18, 09 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
TheHero

That portfolio got her into Harvard? Underwhelmed. I guess her being Mexican or whatever helped.

Mar 20, 10 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

@TheHero you racist fat bastard -_- it's all about design and quality. You don't need to fill the entire page with shit when you just want to make your point across. I don't know what her portfolio looked like, but there has to be a legit reason why they got in. Maybe her design skills aren't the greatest, but thats why they took them in to push them on a certain potential that they see in them.  

Feb 2, 17 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

^ Are you for real?!

He has seen her folio. You haven't. How qualified are you in defending said content when you don't even know what/how it looks like in the first place?

Some mental gymnastics shit going on here. The only reason I can think of you jumping to her defence is, judging from your name, you're from south of the border too. That makes you a racist actually.

Edit: Nice of you to resurrect a 7 year old post btw.

Feb 2, 17 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: