Archinect
anchor

3D modeling/rendering class?

kerfuffle

hi-

my boss has offered to pay for me to take a 3D modeling/rendering course - I know sketchup pretty well, but i'd rather use something a little more "professional." I am leaning towards Max (or maybe Rhino + a renderer) but am open to anything.

I would like to know something that is typically used in other offices, would be useful in grad school, and will be a spring-board for other 3D apps.

Also - I am in the Boston area, and would like to know of other programs that offer something a little bit more comprehensive/theoretical than the BAC's continuing Ed courses... I have a background in Computer Science, so anything that also teaches scripting along with learning 3D rendering techniques would be highly desirable. I am very interested in MIT's Computation and Design department, but I have a feeling they don't offer anything akin a continuing ed program.

Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

-to

Mar 30, 06 3:42 pm
trace™

For arch viz, nothing is better than practice (well, that goes for anything, I guess). I haven't ever seen a class for 3D that doesn't quickly go into characters and other Hollywood stuff.

Autodesk does have an animation tutorial for Max somewhere on their site.

But if your boss want's to pay, then take it. I'd try contacting Autodesk and seeing if anyone can teach you stuff specific to architecture. Only problem is, they'll try to get you to use Mental Ray, which I would advise against. Get your boss to buy either Final Render or Vray.

Mar 30, 06 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
remonio

You can get online video tutorials for 3ds max at http://www.lynda.com and purchase Vray DVDs from http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/

Your boss could pay for a subscription with Lynda.com before you take a class especially if you've never used 3ds max before.

Mar 30, 06 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
Cure

oh u know sketchup pretty well? ok, well cool i hope u'll reply to this. how do you make a railing that is turning a corner? i mean a continuous component. do you have to use some kinda plug-in? i read some forums on the site, but it was confusing...anybody?

Mar 30, 06 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

for starters -i'd suggest learning Rhino to build models and, if you have access, 3ds max for rendering/animation

rhino's pretty easy to pick up if you know basic cad and is importable into 3ds for animation and rendering. it may be hard going from sketchup to 3ds as far as learning the interface

Mar 30, 06 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
kerfuffle

thanks everyone - maybe the best way is to purchase the software - spend some time playing around and then take a class. I just want to be able to make an informed decision about which software combo is the most useful for the office. So are there any other modeling and rendering programs out there that would be worth learning? or is rhino the future?

jonathan - use the "follow me" tool. i.e. draw a plane, then draw a line perpendicular to the plane (curved line, line with many angles, etc...). select the "follow me" tool, and push/pull the face of the plane. I think this is what you are asking...

anyway- thanks again...

-to

Apr 3, 06 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Cure

ohh wow i never saw that feature or knew what it was for...thanks toaster!

Apr 3, 06 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
pencebor

i use sketchUp for extruding floor plans and making 3D models. Then I export it as .3ds file and render it in MAX. nobody can tell that it was all done in sketchup. (sketchup is great!)

Apr 4, 06 3:16 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Simple need: Sketchup is great for basic modeling. Max with Final Render or Vray for rendering.

Medium Compexity: FormZ is superb for overall modeling. Max with Final Render or Vray for rendering.

Complex: Rhino is great for complex shapes. Max with Final Render or Vray for rendering.

Alternatives:

Cinema 4D with Final Render is the best alternative, I think, and has a pretty large user base (nothing compares to Max, though). Sounds trivial, but when you need a specific tree or car or furniture, having the largest user base is a huge help.

Overall, though, there is no reason you can't start with Max, add Max with Final Render or Vray. Then, if need be, get a better modeler. Many large arch viz firms only use Max for rendering and modeling - it's not bad, just not great.

Apr 4, 06 8:15 am  · 
 · 
kerfuffle

hmm... so max is the standard at larger firms?

what's the difference between vray and final render?

where does one purchase these?

I think getting the office to purchase 3DS Max is the way to go at the moment... although i think my computer won't be able to handle it...

I think i'll also take both rhino and max classes... instead of just one.

thanks again!

-to

Apr 4, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Max:

www.autodesk.com

Final Render:

www.cebas.com
www.turbosquid.com

Vray:

www.chaosgroup.com

Difference? Vray and Final Render are plugins for max - they 'plugin' to the interface and are dedicated renderers (they will replace max's, or, rather, offer you an additional choice). They both do essentially the same thing, just slightly different.

Having a good computer will be very important. This ain't cheap. max will cost $3500, Final Render/Vray will cost about $700-800.

I would skip Rhino until you have a grasp of what you are doing. Otherwise, it'll just be too confusing to try to important things into Max, know what is going on, etc. (do you know the differences between Nurmbs, Solids, Surfaces, Edit Poly, etc., etc?), not to mention more money.

Get a good machine first before trying another program.

Apr 4, 06 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
cadomestique

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Vray also works with SketchUp.  

If you acquire this plug in,  great photo realistic renderings can be produced within SK environment and don't ask anything to Max/Maya/Rino

@ Cure: 

You need first to x-line a path of "extrusion" then use the "follow me" tool.  In simple words that's the technique. 

Apr 5, 16 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Why? Because this is a 10-year old thread brought back to life by a spam bot.

Apr 5, 16 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
lacalr

Revit - 3DS Max - Vray is the workflow i've been using and I believe other larger firms do the same. If you are looking to get back into school for this type of stuff knowing Rhino or sketchup and then Vray to render is a common method. There are a lot of tutorials out there, especially concerning the 3DS Max and Vray approach. However there are many different techniques out there, I do believe Vray or Final Render produce the most photo realistic renderings, if thats what youre going for. 

Apr 5, 16 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Formit instead of sketchup>Revit and you can use autodesk raytracer 

Apr 5, 16 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
maslačmatej

Look at my channel about 3d modeling and rendering, if you like subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/user/T...

Nov 22, 18 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
Lewis Garrison

Learn 3ds Max

Learn Vray for 3ds Max

Get you're boss to buy you a Lynda account for tutorials on all the above. 

Nov 26, 18 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
chrisharrington

3D model creation begins with a sketch or getting the object itself, from which the model will be played.The cost of 3D model depends on its level of detail and the amount of craft that goes into creating it.list for more details regarding 3d printing services FlatPyramid

Dec 13, 18 6:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: