Archinect
anchor

Billing rate vs. pay rate

montaigne

my boss bills me out at 3 times my hourly. I have no medical or dental insurance. There are no adminstrators to pay. He doesn't have to pay any license fees as he failed to maintain his license when he left the country (this means he bills himself as a designer only). Office rent is about 6,500/yr and I'm not sure what utilities cost. Moreover, he pays me as an independent contractor so he doesn't help with any of my taxes. The contractor's we work with find most of our work. He spends very little time teaching me what he knows.

Is this unreasonable?

Mar 4, 06 5:07 am  · 
 · 
digger

montaigne - "unreasonable" is an amorphous concept that others will have difficulty addressing for you - what you should ask yourself is whether you feel you are paid fairly and whether your current situation is right for you

at very many levels, your employer's cost structure has nothing at all to do with what you should be paid - check out what other firms are paying people with similar training, experience and abilities (check out the latest AIA salary survey or go to Salary.com) - also consider the working conditions and benefits offered at these other firms - if those other opportunities are better than what you have, you might consider making a move

however, based on the somewhat sketchy outline that you provide, i would think you could do much better elsewhere

Mar 4, 06 10:43 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

by the way, for those of you really interested in this topic, at least two other archinect threads have covered this topic before:

Salary/Billing Rate equation

pay vs. billing discrepancy

Mar 4, 06 10:51 am  · 
 · 
e

quizzical, i agree with you regarding the importance of value. it is obviously important to have an umderstanding of time and your expenses associated with that time, but it is equally important to consider the worth of a project to both you and your client. when writing a proposal for a client, i look at it both ways.

Mar 4, 06 11:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: