Archinect
anchor

Subtle pleasant sensations

walter_

puddles__i saw them too while billy joel was at msg, but didnt notice i guess. the single most amazing musical experience.

Mar 2, 06 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
aml

it's quondAm. none of my business but it's disturbing my peaceful lurking. sorry about that.

Mar 2, 06 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
aml

since now i should contribute: diving into the ocean, looking at the sunlight through the water, diving underneath a wave and then laying in the ground and letting the sun dry you up. preferably with a nice book.

Mar 2, 06 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

the feel of slightly damp grass at 9:15 on a Friday night in mid fall, have always loved that feeling.

fresh sheets in a made bed. the only way to sleep

drinking all night and NOT waking up with a hangover.

Mar 2, 06 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
walter_

walking through nyc during rush hour while listening to music, blocking out all the sounds of the city for those 15 minutes. preferrably listening to bright eyes.

Mar 2, 06 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

drawing clean, solid lines on a sheet of mylar with a rapidograph.

perfect combination of gas and clutch while shifting the transmission.

the sound of the plan checkers stamp hitting your plans.

removing the seatbelt.

smoking a cigarette outside, early in a foggy morning

Mar 2, 06 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

this thread is driving me crazy because I live for these things, but if I could describe them, they'd be less subtle, less pleasant, or I'd be a writer...

There's a local, reddish brown, often mossy sandstone in CO that gives off a dusty, almost perfumey smell when you hit it just right with a hammer or chisel. You can get the same smell, far less frequently, hitting it with the metal edge of a ski or snowboard. GREAT smell, reminds me of something I can't quite remember.

Mar 2, 06 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

Downhill Mtn Bike Racing- a weekend of practice runs, Sunday morning race run with associated raceday stomach jitters. Somewhere between leaving the starting line and when I start talking to myself and giggling (maybe 30 secs?) I swear I can actually feel all the thoughts being evacuated from my brain while the light in the trees and sound of the air rushing by and smell of the world all slightly change. Feels like a 2 week vacation, but better.

Mar 2, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

wordless communication with your dog.

Mar 2, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Visiting archinect and gazing at a long line of thoughtful offerings written by strangers who you consider friends

;-)

Mar 2, 06 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

lb, this should be an exercise that we do with the kids. a break-the-ice discussion.

Mar 2, 06 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
archaalto

here here on the sigur ros...just saw them last week.

manamana-you gotta get the CDs with the little red plastic tab for easier opening

fro9k-i know what you mean abou the mossy colorado rock. i find it more prevalent in the southpark/crested butte/monarch area than anywhere else [especially in spring when the snow has started melting]

Mar 2, 06 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

when the baby seems to know what you're saying.

Mar 2, 06 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Shiny new strings on a bass or a guitar. Secret pleasure. Wouldn't play live with new strings though - some things are best kept in the bedroom.

Mar 2, 06 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Agreed Steven.

Which reminds me of aother: seeing the light go on in a student's eyes when s/he suddenly "gets it". The ah-ha! moment.

Mar 2, 06 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

garpike- seriously? i always changed out before a gig. the sound is just so much better. esp. on bass.

-the smell of surf wax. that or the neoprene from a wetsuit.
-the sound of a summer breeze through trees w/ a tickle on your face.
-getting caught outside in a summer rainstorm.
-getting something nice in the mail unexpectedly
-jumping out of a swing at the peak
-reminiscing about childhood summer vacation
-finding out someone has a crush on you
-new car smell
-sailing w/ friends
-the moment you learn to ride a bike
-down comforters
-smell of ripe tomatoes
-being cold and stepping into the sun
-smell of freshly sharpened pencils
-hearing a song you really like for the first time

Mar 2, 06 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

ACFA, I used to like fresh strings on bass, but now I like them just a little broken in. Like a week of playing before hand. I finger pluck. You?

Mar 2, 06 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

I play the guitar, but I have to say that the way the bass makes my heart shake in my chest is an apt addition to this thread. Ampeg SVT, 8x10 cab.

Mar 2, 06 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

pick, fingers, and slap. i prefer a little more of that new string brightness on my sound. i think slapping/popping and picking tends to wear the strings stretch out faster. i've had fenders go flat after two intense gigs.

and so as not to hijack

-going home and eating real southern food
-going fast, whether it's running, driving, biking, etc. etc.
-finishing a task early when you thought it'd take forever
-when a girl calls you back
-talking to someone and then realizing it's suddenly hours later
-the smell in the air when it's just about to snow

Mar 2, 06 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

Oh ... and the bizarro daytime that follows a big snowstorm.

Mar 2, 06 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

sneezing.

a random email from someone with whom you'd lost contact.

drawing something freehand and realizing it's almost perfectly to scale.

Mar 2, 06 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

chocolate glazed krispy kreme donuts on friday a.m., when your turn to bring them in was last week. (again, not subtle.)

Mar 2, 06 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Sorry to perpetuate the hijacking, but what bass is your main instrument? It may help to tell you I have made a G&L L-1000 my main bass. The maple fretboard gives me the extra snap I need, while the slightly used strings give me the right amount of clarity. I guess on that bass, which is kind of barky and fret-noisy, strings that are too new just amplify the noises. Putting new strings on my Yamaha TRB-4 gives me chills - and will make me skip meals.

Back to the more rounded thread topic:
-Putting dry clothes on after walking home in the rain
-Having a Yuengling (tap or bottle) after having been away from PA for months
-The smell of the cake being made on your birthday
-Listening to someone sing or play their instruments so well you get chills
-Listening to live music and getting chills
-Listening to live music and getting chills sans beer or drugs

-And a recent find: Ditching crutches after two months!

Mar 2, 06 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

watching the snow from my window:

(this was a few days ago, but it's snowing again :)

Mar 2, 06 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Lots of racks on those bikes are you in...

Yep. Holland.

Mar 2, 06 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

Yep I am.

Mar 2, 06 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

Slipping into tight clean sheets after a long shower.
The smell of fleshly cut grass in a packed soccer stadium,
The sound of your skis while doing the bumps
The taste of fresh falling snow.
The cold touch of granite while lead climbing.
Watching the sunset while flying a plain
A sincere complement

Mar 2, 06 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

kids who fight off the sandman...

Mar 2, 06 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Letting the Sandman win, especially after a hard day.

Mar 2, 06 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
upside

the thrill of the hunt when you dive for crabs or crayfish and they put up a fight, your 3 meters down, skindiving, you run out of air but you cant surface until you get them in the bag.

the first breath of air.

the cold sting of the first wave you duckdive under on the way out back for a surf.

the smell after rain.

swimming in the rain when its hot.

the weighty and satisfying feel of a pint glass.

Mar 2, 06 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
upside

picking a scab

and. peeling off sunburnt skin.

Mar 2, 06 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
Don't pick it, or it will never heal!

Yeah, grabbing hold of a big one and removing it. Nice.

Mar 2, 06 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

the smell of concrete after a summer rain
the chill you get when you eat unripe, sour fruits from a tree
smell of freshly cut grass
smell of sunset boulevard
the salty smell in the air when you just got off a plane that landed in LA
generally, landing in LA

Mar 2, 06 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Not subtle, but singing in the car... loud.

Mar 2, 06 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

To a song you haven’t heard in years but still remember the lyrics …. Nice

Mar 2, 06 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

oh, yeah, screaming in the car, on the freeway so that no one can hear

Mar 2, 06 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

A spoonful of peanut butter.

Mar 2, 06 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

standing under warm water in the shower for a good 10-12 minutes, even though i am late for the office, or whatever. It is the time when everything floats into nothingness.

Mar 2, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
JerkStoreCalling

laying in bed in cool sheets against slightly sunburnt skin, after a day at the beach. even better if there's an ocean breeze or you can hear the waves crashing

hearing my house creak when the wind blows hard on a cold winter day

laying under a heavy blanket (similar to x-ray shield)

sitting in a grass field at night in the summertime

laying in the silence of a snowstorm looking at the sky

leaving the window open in the winter or ac on high in the summer and waking up under a big blanket. even better if you're with someone (assuming you want them there still)

a long run in the summer rain

popping a good zit, while embarrasing to admit, is the most frequently satisfying thing i do. extra credit if it shoots onto the mirror

wow, apparently the most satisfying things i do involve laying down...

Mar 2, 06 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Squeeking into the subway car as the doors are closing - but only if you're a local/non-tourist.

Mar 2, 06 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
walter_

the smell of new york your first visit back after leaving for college.

Mar 3, 06 10:27 am  · 
 · 

happiness is a warm puppy. I truly believe it. Leaning back in a recliner with a puppy using your stomach as a bed.

Mar 3, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

a, no. happiness is a kitten that wakes you up in the morning.

Mar 3, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha ha ha cat people vs. dog people.

My cat used to be so small he would sit on my head while I read or watched tv. I had to wear a hat to prevent the claws-in-the-scalp issue. Good times...

Mar 3, 06 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
job job

so I decided to try the 5:15, albeit at 9:30, this morning. I was interested to open up to an urban experience > and realized I do this everyday, and it's at the bus stop...

The contents of my closet shelf were lying on the floor before I remembered the clothing I wanted was in the wash; I then noticed my fingers were curled in the ctrl+z position...

Tati Playtime-like sequences gives me a smile.

Mar 3, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

whoever mentioned the shifting of the clutch in the car. ditto that one. it was definitely a lot sweeter when i had my original clutch, but there is something so satisfying about it, and how many times do you do it in a single car ride? maybe 100.....but there is always at least one time that I shift the stick, and I'm like, yeah....

there have been a couple occasions in my current car (which has turbo) that I have accelerated so quickly that the ensuing adrenaline rush has almost made me blackout....i guess it's the closest i've come to understanding how race car drivers might feel.

Mar 3, 06 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Most of my recent subtle pleasures are going to be kid related, so excuse my new parent gushy-ness-

After a couple minutes of protest songs, a baby sleeping on your chest. (I'm sorry, babies trump dogs or cats any day.)

Seeing your kid figure something out for the first time, with no help what so ever. (You can open doors! Oh crap, you can open doors!)

The first smile of the morning from the kid.

Milk breath.

Mar 4, 06 2:28 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

The way your skin feels after a long day at the beach with all the salt on it. Then taking a nice warm shower to take it off.

Bobbing in the water on a hot, calm glassy day when the beach is empty. Then catching a nice smooth relaxed roller all the way in.

Looking up in the sky and seeing the milky way on a cold crisp night.

Mar 4, 06 2:40 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

puddles, per your comment I spent some time lyaing on the ground this lovely early spring midwestern day. It was wonderful and yes felt like being a kid.

Mar 4, 06 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

After watching extreme close ups of Moby Dick illustrations in Thumbsucker last night I remembered this one:

Black ink on white paper.

Mar 4, 06 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: