Archinect
anchor

Post-Graduate Study. Alternatives?

Hi I was wondering if I could get some light shed on this topic:

I want to use Masters as an opportunity to tackle something not architecture... I have been thinking a long time about this and doing lots of research and trying to talk to different people etc... However, after a year, I still feel ambiguous. I have a list of a few possible options and I'm hoping someone could shed some personal knowledge (examples of friends, colleagues, themselves) regarding any of these paths.

My situation:

I have my b.Arch degree and have been working 2 years (6 months in Australia, 1.5 years in China). Im 22, turning 23 in a couple of months. I plan to work rest of the year and travel a bit before jumping into Masters. I am 100% certain I do not want to do Architecture for Masters!

Possibilities:

1. Project Management. Do a course? Construction management? (worries: would aim to do a localised course in China/HK. but what if the economies fails one day?)

2. Masters of Science in Real Estate - 3 paths within real estate etc... yet after discussing each role on various occasions, the feeling of ambiguity still remains. (similar worries as to localised courses)

3. MBA (but not likely)

4. Work for an international developer and move up

5. completely unrelated field: I am considering anything to do with money. Finance, economics etc. I've always been good with maths and I guess I was 1 of those people that thought architecture would be more physics/maths when I enrolled. But I toughed it out anyway.

I'm not a bad architect, in fact I do some really awesome stuff, but I don't LOVE it like some people. So it seems pointless that I am working so hard for so little monetary reward. For me a job is a job, I will work hard and keep a good attitude BUT at the same time I want to get PAID MORE!

Any possible leads, thoughts, suggestions would be sincerely appreciated!

Jan 10, 12 4:38 am
mdhuang94

Here are my 3 cents.

You will definitely have to do some soul searching and research on these programs. For me, I am eventually going to get an MBA with a real estate concentration (hopefully Wharton) to get into the development/lucrative aspects of architecture. The MBA is much more comprehensive than the MSRED. The MBA will open A LOT more doors of opportunites than the MSRED. You will be networking with non developers which is essential to forming potential clients and gathering other contacts in their respective industries. If you find out your not that enthusiastic about RED, the MBA will let you go into finance and other business fields easily.

I am EXTREMELY concerened about the pay for being an architect as I will be stuck with college debt so this is the route I'm targeting. I am sophomore but have done hours of research and interviews on this topic as I am like you, concerned about architecture compensation.

Call me crazy but I will most likely get an M Arch II before the MBA as I am passionate about architecture and would like to teach some day. I critique better than I create.

Jul 18, 14 7:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: