Archinect
anchor

mdler needs him a geetar

vado retro

build your own guitar. he did...

Feb 16, 06 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Following Vado's advice. My first guitar was an awful pink Samick, with a black scratchplate. My next axe was a Yamaha Ibanez ripoff, but it was black and kinda cool. My next one was the Fender, so a bit of a jump. This was around the time of Mothers Milk, and RHCP reined supreme and I loved Frusciante.

I replaced the humbubker position with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, and two SSL3's. I then replaced the hot rails with a Little '59.

I worked my way through amps, I had a samick, then a fender 'valvestate' equivalent, and then the daddy - a Marshall 30th Anniversary Half Stack with the blue lining. Sold it. Damn it.

Feb 16, 06 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I did. With the CNC mill. Plan on making two. The first to f up and the second to do a little better.

Feb 16, 06 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

Yah ACFA, a bag of *girls*.

I used to rock a '73 Tele. Totally vintage, single coil, etc. For my tastes, it was always lacking in Rawk-ness. But I'm not Keith Richards...

I too would love the PRS, but no $$.

Feb 16, 06 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ooooh! The late 60's/early 70's Tele Thinline with humbuckers rawks (sic)!

Feb 16, 06 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
upside

just took delivery of my new 72 reissue mex telle custom. love it. so easy to play, sounds great, and the hummer at the neck gives a fatter sound than you usualy get from a telle.

my bro has an american delux strat, sunburst.

for some reason the epiphones position their pickups really high under the strings+their not that comfortable to play. id take a cheap squire over a cheap eppy anyday.

Feb 16, 06 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
kinch

Garpike, just curious, but how much did the bass you built with the cnc end up costing, with parts and all. I've been thinking about doing that.

Also good buy on that rick. I used to have 4003 but sold it cause I was broke. Best craftsmanship for the money. Its like jewelry. Plus all that clanging scares the guitars which is nice.

Epi, and gibsons have higher pickup placement in general because of the magnet location. In fenders the pole pieces are the magnets. In gibsons, the magnet lies under the poles. Different magnetic field shape. If you put a fender pickup that high, it pulls the string out of tune.

Feb 16, 06 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

kinch, hmmm... I paid about $400. I used UCLA's CNC mill. I would definitely do it again, though the neck is tricky. I hand shaped mine.

Feb 16, 06 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

you could just buy a preshaped neck. those are readily available. i'd probably cannabalize mine from a mid 70s fender jazz given the opportunity.

garpike-
is there a truss rod running through your neck?

Feb 16, 06 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

one of vado retro's (the band, not the man) guitarists had a thin line tele with a patti smith sticker on it. sadly, like most guitars, it was stolen...

Feb 16, 06 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

This was my axe for a while...Only mine had the black guard. Great guitar...a real looker. At gigs people would often ask to buy it. Thinline neck, wicked smooth action. I love the vintage.

All this talk about guitars...I'm leaving work.

Gonna go home and rawk-out.

Feb 16, 06 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Good plan!

RAWK (SIC)!!!

Feb 16, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Here's a Dano guitar my husband custom painted for his brother:

Feb 16, 06 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Did I ever mention as part of my last job I got a personal tour of the Gibson factory in Memphis? (You guys are probably the only people who would care.) I have no clue when it comes to guitars but seeing all the backs and tops glued up, sunbursts getting sprayed, etc was pretty cool.

The guitar guys at that office had an occasional end of the day jam. Right before they went surfing. Sometimes I miss that place.

Feb 16, 06 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

damn it.

· 
WonderK

damn it!

· 
WonderK

DAMN IT!!!!!!

I'm sorry, I'm just trying to catch up. I've never done that before, by the way. But diabase is in this now and he's way ahead so I just went for it.

The tough thing is I don't have anything to say about guitars (always been partial to drummers, myself) so I have to go invade other threads.

I will say that any man who can play the riff from Smashing Pumpkins' "Today" is worthy of my attention.

That is all.

Feb 16, 06 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Just bought an Ibanez EDR .. Looks good, Plays a lil' better than ok.

Looking for a classic epiphone (with the sunburst finish) coz i feel the old ones had a better feel to it. met a guy with one, but he refuses to part with it !!!

Feb 16, 06 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
AP

WonderK, that's actually an easy one...(the intro, right?)

Feb 17, 06 12:00 am  · 
 · 
AP

---10----12----10----14p10------
------10----10----10-------10---

^tabs, for the non-music reading novice.

Feb 17, 06 12:02 am  · 
 · 

tabs are all i do AP, in spite of a few years of classical training as a youth. sad i know, it's either that or just playing by ear.

but i wouldn't say all non-music readers are novices. lots of great musicians can't/couldn't read; yet play as well as the fancy pantses who went to uni to learn music...

ie, I don't believe django ever learned to read and he was a seriously brilliant guitarist...unless i'm wrong, in which case forget all the above ;-)

Feb 17, 06 2:08 am  · 
 · 

btw cool bass garpike. very very cool.

Feb 17, 06 2:32 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Eric clapton didn't know how to read music ... or so i hear ..

Feb 17, 06 3:00 am  · 
 · 
mdler

the LA archinectrers... we should go to the Taylor Guitar factory in San Diego

Feb 17, 06 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

all the rockers go to the guitar emporium when they come to louisville.

Feb 17, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Also LA Archinectors, my friend Carey's shop is located in Yucaipa near Redlands:

Nordstrand Guitars

He enjoys visitors.

Feb 17, 06 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Thanks, jump. Actually I would like to part it out and build a better one.

Feb 17, 06 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

FOG Lite, that's cool you got a tour of Gibson. I once toured a bakery (first grade) and we got free bread at the end. You didn't happen to pick up a complimentary Thunderburd Bass IV?

Feb 17, 06 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Amazing coincidence, I once worked in a bakery!

We never got any samples from Gibson. It wasn't for lack of trying, we did ask. I did get to hear lots of stories from an exec there, Jimmy Page this, Clapton that... Even second hand guitar god glory is still worth basking in.

Feb 17, 06 3:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: