Archinect
anchor

MOTORCYCLES!

French

That's mine...
I know, I should get a real motorcycle...

Feb 16, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

French,

An offroad or hybrid is a great way to save money on a bike though...lighter, less likely to drop, and easier to do tricks. Plus if you pick a girl up on it you can always say that this is your weekend bike, and that your harley is in the shop cause some dickwad hit it while it was parked....then say "lets see if i can get us up to 30mph".

Feb 16, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

orhan,

pee wee still hangs out at the Cal Arts parties...my sister was a student there and had a run-in with him.

Feb 16, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

My Tiger is waiting for spring... (Mine's black)

Feb 16, 06 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
gbugel

urals.....drooool

Feb 16, 06 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

nothing in the world beats a 52 vincent
and a red headed girl...

Feb 16, 06 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I would like to know what everyone thinks of girls on bikes.

My theory is that girls like myself would be better suited with a crotch rocket or a BMW type bike. Actually the one that vado just posted would be fine by me as well. Something smaller and scrappy. Not too flashy though.

Ever since I lived in San Francisco and I saw everyone on motorcycles I decided that I would like to get one someday. But I can't imagine myself on a big cruiser. I just think that cruisers or Harley style bikes are much less feminine. I am much more interested in the "blond hair tumbling out of my big black helmet after I beat you in a street race" type look.

Thoughts?

Feb 17, 06 12:11 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

WonderK,

My girlfriend bought a bike (actually two, one is for parts) at the end of last season. I think she thinks I'm obsessed, and wanted to know what all the fuss was about. She loved being on the back of my bike, but wanted more... and who can blame her? Riding a bike is like nothing else you'll ever do!

Whatever style you're into, you'll undoubtedly have fun. Just make sure to take the MSF training course, and get yourself the best equipment you can afford - that means full-face helmet and actual leathers of some sort.

In any case, get out there already!

Feb 17, 06 12:24 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

thanks, slantsix. I think I have to work up to it though. I'll probably get a Vespa first :o)

But it's good to have goals!!!

Feb 17, 06 12:31 am  · 
 · 
norm

ok stupid question...how do i post an image?
(there are no stupid questions...just stupid people that ask questions.)

Feb 17, 06 11:08 am  · 
 · 
FRO

BRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPP!!

My choice for a good high-strung singletrack bike with lights to get you back to town on the road

Feb 17, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
FRO

otherwise

Feb 17, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

I'll try again:

I miss my Tiger (In storage until the snow clears).

Feb 17, 06 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

here ya go wonder k, you could get a royal enfield for about 5000k

Feb 17, 06 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

thanks vado.

I like that one. I like the red. For me it's also about "how easily could I get the matching motorcycle outfit". I mean really.

Feb 18, 06 11:25 am  · 
 · 
snooker

me and my motor cy... along with alot of others

http://www.sturgismotorcyclerally.com/photos/index.html

Feb 18, 06 11:47 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

pretty ez wonderk, pretty ez...

Feb 18, 06 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
adso

Via futurefeeder

Nice call on Richard Thompson there, Vado.

Mar 17, 06 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
aliwanis

ktm duke 990... a street fighter

Mar 19, 06 2:27 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

had a guy offer me his 96 Yamaha xj600 Seca II for $1,900, new chain, new battery, at least a season left on tires, and a deal for a matching helmet and jacket. What do you gusy think? This would be my FIRST bike.

Mar 19, 06 2:36 am  · 
 · 

I'm a big fan of the Royal Enfield Bullet Military (similar to whats posted by vado above) and would love to get that as my first bike. I also like the Triumph Thruxton 900 for the old cafe racer look. But out of geographical loyalty I guess I should get an Indian. The reality of it is that I'd probably end up with a Vespa. Theres nothing wrong with that, I just don't like the way the newer Vespas look.

Mar 19, 06 7:49 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

dropped by the dealer here yesterday looking to talk 748's with them.

they turned me to this daytona 675 as an alternative.
amazing bike - i'm converted - super light and narrow with 123bhp.
perhaps waiting 6 months i can find a used one a get a deal....

Nov 2, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

'and' get a deal.....

Nov 2, 06 10:49 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
Nov 2, 06 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis
Nov 2, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

jeffe, not to scare you.....but I love the story John Irving tells about the last time he rode a motorcycle: the day his first child was born, he rode his motorcycle very slowly and cautiously home from the hospital, and that was it.

I just can't stop myself from calling them "donorcycles".

Nov 2, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i know lb....i'm internally a bit conflicted - but it's playing out more in terms of being more thoughtful and mature about how i ride and where.

Nov 2, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

what's it like riding one of those vado?

Nov 2, 06 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the great writer john gardner wrote a story called the art of living in which the characters ride around on motorcycles at night with no lights on. i believe he died in a motorcycle accident. lb there's only one other thing i prefer straddling...

Nov 2, 06 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Nov 2, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

well said vado - I forget about the rest of my life when I'm riding
...and some days, there's plenty to forget
everyone's got their poison, some damage you slowly, some all at once
I figure this one my wife approves of, and as long as I'm careful, chances are good I'll live

do you really ride a bonneville, vado? I figure, the more rare the better, that's part of the reason I love my tiger.

Nov 2, 06 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Nov 2, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I loooove my Speed Triple! Glad to see that there's a lot of Triumph riders on Archinect!

Nov 2, 06 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

yeah, it may not be as pretty or 'elite' as all yours, but it took me from ohio to maine and back little worse for the wear.

Nov 3, 06 2:11 am  · 
 · 
SuperWonder

Nice!

Nov 3, 06 2:14 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

super, there's no place for a chick on there...

Nov 3, 06 5:51 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Actually, with a bike like that, the term would be 'broad'.
No offence meant - I'll ride with anyone!

Nov 3, 06 7:56 am  · 
 · 
emilyrides

I can second the Ducati Monster as a fantastic first bike, a used Monster was mine. Aestethically it's hard to hold a candle to a Ducati, they are really beautiful and they feel wonderfully solfi under you, which is a good confidence booster if you are fairly new to having a ride. Sadly, my Monster was stolen in Manhattan, and I replaced it with a Norton Commando. The Commando is a bit of a a handful, and it uses a magneto as opposed to a battery for starting, so I wouldn't never have this bike if it were transportation not something for fun. Really nice Commando's can be found cheap, which is a good reason to buy one. My former boss owns a BMW trans-Sahara which is an absolutely stunning bike, the nicest of any I have ever ridden. If money is not much of an object you may to consider a BMW.

Nov 3, 06 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England
Nov 4, 06 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Motorized unicycle:

Oct 1, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: