Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Can't find my wallet.  Grrrrrrr.  

Dec 16, 20 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

between/under the seats of the car? coat pockets? I hate this time of the year when you start using more clothing and lose things all the time.

Dec 16, 20 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

Looked. Nothing. Checked the office, the gym, my car. :(

Dec 16, 20 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Try cancelling all your credit cards - I always find my wallet immediately after I do this.

Dec 16, 20 2:21 pm  · 
7  · 
Wood Guy

It's probably right where you left it.

Dec 16, 20 2:52 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Can you check online when/where you made your last purchase?

Dec 16, 20 3:33 pm  · 
1  · 

Already know where I made my last purchase and we monitor or credit cards online for purchases to track our spending. So fart only the normal stuff.

Dec 16, 20 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My best thought is that it is sure to be in the last place you look for it. :)

Dec 16, 20 4:54 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

It’s always in the last place you look. Try looking there first.

Dec 16, 20 5:05 pm  · 
2  · 
Wilma Buttfit

If it helps, my wedding ring has been misplaced for months.

Dec 16, 20 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

Found it! I knocked it into the small trash can in our laundry room.

Dec 17, 20 12:07 pm  · 
5  · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

To many pockets in the winter time. Seems like I'm always putting car keys in the wrong pocket when I go to the store and have a arm full of groceries go to grab for my keys and well they are not in the pocket of the free arm. So have to do the shift of groceries from one arm to the other. Same thing happens at the Packie.

Dec 17, 20 12:20 pm  · 
1  · 

Glad it turned up. Points for tintt and NS on the dad joke (not sure if it is technically a dad joke, but since my dad used/uses it all the time it's a dad joke to me).

Dec 17, 20 12:27 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

lost a fee payment check yesterday, must have fallen off my jacket pocket between getting in the car and walking to the office, fortunately the client is friendly.

Dec 17, 20 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I found my ring! At a pawn shop. They sent my ex-housemate a postcard about it.

Dec 17, 20 6:41 pm  · 
2  · 

Wait, what? Tintt, you must elaborate on this.

Dec 17, 20 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Wow! That's fantastic news, and I imagine will be a good story for future dinner parties.

Dec 17, 20 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Chad, I took in a friend that was struggling last summer. My ring went missing around August or September. I kicked out the friend about 3 weeks ago for various reasons that are unmentionable and quite serious. Today, a postcard from a local pawnshop showed up addressed to this friend to remind her to come reclaim her jewelry.

Dec 17, 20 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Just remember that if its crime committed in the name of mental health or poverty you need to suck it up and excuse them. It's the right thing and I'm glad Seattle is paving the way.

Dec 17, 20 7:18 pm  · 
1  ·  1
Wilma Buttfit

archidude, tell me more. What do you mean by Seattle is paving the way?

Dec 17, 20 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you might need better friends tintt. or just stick with archinect. we wouldn't pawn your wedding ring and let you find out a few months later.

Dec 17, 20 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

tintt: I think Seattle is making poverty, addiction, mental illness allowable legal defenses in certain crimes such as theft, vandalism, etc. Effectively, they become get-out-of-jail cards. Look for this kind of nonsense to spread. Wokeism gone wacky.

Dec 17, 20 8:30 pm  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Ah I see. Oh geez. I just got back from the pawnshop where another layer was added to the story. They had seen my ring but currently don't have it.

Dec 17, 20 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Actually, if white collar criminals were put in prison for their malfeasance at rates that poor people were incarcerated, I'd definitely be more woke.

Dec 18, 20 6:58 am  · 
4  · 

I mean, geezer, there are circumstances under which those conditions - poverty, etc - actually *should* be an allowable legal defense for small crimes of property. Unless, of course, you're an inhumane ghoul.

Dec 18, 20 7:46 am  · 
3  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sorry for all the drama, internet friends. Only think I can think of is that the ring was stolen, pawned, then returned before I noticed. I found it in my jewelry box where I had looked before. Glad to have it back. Desperate times can make people do desperate things but that doesn't necessarily mean they are bad people, they just do bad things. I fear white collar crime much more because you can't just call the cops or piece together a mystery in a few hours with the help of the very nice pawnshop lady.

Dec 18, 20 9:26 am  · 
7  · 

I'm glad you got your ring back tintt. What an ordeal!

Dec 18, 20 9:57 am  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Tough position to be in. Friends and trust. People and cherished property. Difficult all around. I'm glad you got your ring back.

Dec 18, 20 11:52 am  · 
3  · 
archi_dude

Donna could you please give a scenario where a small property crime should be excusable due to being poor?

Dec 18, 20 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Archi, I believe the thought here is decriminalizing, like many places are starting to do with drugs, and instead focus on rehabilitation instead of tossing people in jail. I don't think anyone is giving away licenses for petty crimes.

Dec 18, 20 8:07 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Formula, if a desperate mother needs to feed her isn't, and can't get access to formula, and can't get the baby to latch. If that mother is fined, or charged, then we should burn down cities.

Dec 18, 20 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Difference there is you are harming yourself with drugs. Decriminalizing crime? You are allowing harm to others. And yes they are, you can google the thugs making headlines in Seattle and NY who joke about being arrested multiple times in the same day. You can look at the new DA of LA who is for decriminalization of crime in favor of rehabilitation even though under his tenure as DA in SF implementing those policies for 10 years property crime doubled in those 10 years. You can actually talk to cops who are actually hard working individuals who spend all day responding to calls and have them tell you about arresting GTA perpetrators who laugh, spit in their face and say "I'm gonna do time served and be back out here next week pig." Stick your head in the sand more though. Decriminalize crime....jesus.

Dec 18, 20 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Archi, see how my earlier reply was both thoughtful and intelligent? Give it a try.

Dec 18, 20 8:54 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

So, your friend left 3 weeks ago already and now your ring has magically reappeared...maybe talk to the husband ;)

Dec 19, 20 3:51 am  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Check with him about what, random? Did you miss the part about the pawnshop confirming that this friend of mine had an account with them, that she brought them several rings, and they were in possession of my ring for a while? Hopefully your architect skills are better than your PI skills. It isn't hard to follow petty crime by desperate addicts, they leave clues everywhere. ;)

Dec 19, 20 8:17 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Don’t know how I missed that, am the worst PI...

Dec 19, 20 10:00 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

tintt: well, actually I don't see the part about the account, several rings,etc. either. If you read your above postings, the sequence of events is a little confusing. No matter, since apparently things are resolved and the "friend" is hopefully out of your life.

Dec 19, 20 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Well shit then, geez. I'll try harder next time.

Dec 19, 20 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Hopefully there won't be a next time.

Dec 20, 20 1:36 pm  · 
1  · 

Who on here do I know who is a residential architect in LA who would be interested in a small(I think) residential addition/remodel project? Contact me please!

Dec 17, 20 12:33 pm  · 
3  · 
curtkram

can you talk them up from residential addition to 300 unit multifamily podium? if so, i think i can help.

Dec 17, 20 7:34 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

Zoning, shmoning!

Dec 17, 20 9:18 pm  · 
1  · 

I'm a Minnesotan living in Colorado so if this home owner wants some log cabin / mountain resort fusion type addition done to their LA home you can have them call me. Their addition will be 'unique' and 'eye catching'. :)

Dec 18, 20 9:59 am  · 
3  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Donna, if you can't find anyone, I have done work in LA from a distance and I have some contacts there I work with. I'm familiar with the codes and standards. Depends on what the project is I guess.

Dec 18, 20 10:52 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

Sent you a message, Donna...

Dec 18, 20 1:38 pm  · 
2  · 

Thanks citizen! A friend asked for a recommendations and I swear my mind just emptied. I *know* I know LA architects, I just couldn't think of them!

Dec 18, 20 3:30 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

Im an architect in LA, but wont be able to help you as nothing I design gets built !

Dec 18, 20 5:19 pm  · 
5  · 
archanonymous

LOL @ sameolddoctor

Dec 18, 20 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

sameold, that's a great strategy to avoid getting sued

Dec 18, 20 7:21 pm  · 
3  · 
proto

Dec 18, 20 7:13 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

Indoor Waterfall Starter Kit

Dec 18, 20 7:59 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Gross... glass block.

Dec 18, 20 8:04 pm  · 
2  ·  1
bowling_ball

Fucking. Hate. Glass. Block.

Dec 18, 20 8:10 pm  · 
1  ·  1
midlander

nice tile cutting work to make that L-shaped octagon on the column left face - shame it lines up to absolutely nothing!

Dec 18, 20 8:25 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Be careful in the dark when reaching for the newell post....

Dec 18, 20 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Non, really? The glass block is what jumped out at you? ;-)

Dec 19, 20 11:17 am  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

Not a fan of the stain on the wood stair either WG, but felt that was a minor item.

Dec 19, 20 11:45 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

This makes my new fireplace/baby crib invention look even better!

Dec 19, 20 12:35 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

I like glass block, it is just never used correctly.

Dec 19, 20 1:33 pm  · 
4  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I never thought I'd call out glass block in a project, but I recently did just that. Was inspired by this house. https://www.archdaily.com/248077/ad-classics-maison-de-verre-pierre-chareau-bernard-bijvoet

Dec 19, 20 1:58 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

Nothing wrong with glass blocks: https://ofhouses.com/post/154276545244/376-tadao-ando-glass-block-house-ishihara

Dec 20, 20 8:37 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I got to use glass block correctly exactly once - on a renovation of an art deco school house in Shanghai.

Dec 22, 20 7:33 pm  · 
3  · 
citizen

I have one surviving from this beauty:  

Coulter's Department Store (Demolished) | Los Angeles Conservancy

(Not sure precisely which block, but it's a nice one.)

Dec 25, 20 7:36 pm  · 
2  · 
Jaetten

Christmas CANCELLED woohoooooooo!!!

Dec 19, 20 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Oh Archinect, how I LOVE the ignore user option!!!!

Dec 22, 20 5:29 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

I occasionally go on a ignore/ban drive by on facebook. Good to see so many high-school acquaintances don't have their shit together, but I don't want that crowding up my feed while I click like on my real friend's kids pictures. But I have no active user set to ignore. It's a free source of renewable heat... good for the environment.

Dec 23, 20 9:28 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

I hear you, but I have to watch by blood pressure

Dec 23, 20 11:37 am  · 
1  · 

You guys, I'm really shitty at wrapping presents. Do I lose points off my architecture license for this?!

Dec 23, 20 8:59 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Yes. Maybe even 2 points.

Unless the inside of that present is bourbon.  Then add +1 point.

Dec 23, 20 9:25 am  · 
1  · 

As an architect you should be housing all presents in custom made ipe wood boxes scribed with your custom logo.

Dec 23, 20 10:36 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Tinfoil, can’t go wrong and when it does it even looks better!

Dec 23, 20 11:35 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

if you drink that bottle of bourbon before starting wrapping, then the problem with wrapping is not you, it's the bourbon.

Dec 24, 20 11:17 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Hey now, lets not start blaming the bourbon. All it's ever wanted to do was help.

Dec 24, 20 11:23 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Heya Architect, can you put the edit comment button until the mobile site? Switching to desktop mode on a phone is tedious. 

Dec 24, 20 12:38 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I'd fox that typo, but I don't have the energy.

Dec 24, 20 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

While we're at it, an option to delete a post or comment would also be nice.

Dec 24, 20 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I don't like the idea that people can say shitty things and then delete them to avoid consequences.

Dec 24, 20 1:53 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

The current 5 or so minutes to edit for typos or flow is sufficient for me.

Dec 24, 20 1:54 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

4K!

Dec 24, 20 5:39 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Merry Christmas, everyone.  I hope all are having a great day, even in these strained circumstances.

My dad (still a major car geek) was just now watching a rerun of the auction where Steve McQueen's Mustang from Bullitt sold for a paltry $3.7 mil.  As he was commenting, I of course pulled up the chase scene on YouTube in a nano-second, and we watched it together.  Impromptu father-son holiday bonding that's priceless.  Thanks, Internet!

Still fun to watch, and rather minimalist by today's standards:

Dec 25, 20 4:24 pm  · 
4  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

My other favorite car movies; Two Lane Blacktop and Vanishing Point

Dec 25, 20 10:52 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Ever notice the real winner is the guy in the green bug? No matter how many times they pass him, a few blocks later he's ahead of them again...

Dec 28, 20 4:20 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

I read that it took five weeks to shoot the entire sequence. The film editor won an Oscar... deservedly so.

Dec 28, 20 4:49 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Anyone doing vr, and what headset to get? I'm afraid of Oculus.

Dec 25, 20 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Anything that ties your business to Facebook is a questionable investment. With that said, we use the rift. It's cool to be able to see the space in proper scale. It's also now deprecated and Facebook will probably remove support before it's old enough to be broken that's how they roll, suck all the data from the user base, then force upgrade by revoking support, usually by adding features you don't need.
I'd look into the vive if I was in the market.

Dec 26, 20 2:35 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Remember this clownshow?

Dec 26, 20 8:30 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

I followed the rabbit hole to his home in Marfa, so dishonest, they showed it in Living big in a tiny house, and the girlfriend never mentioned she lived with the architect. I'm tired of these grifter-hipsters.

Dec 27, 20 5:04 pm  · 
2  · 

This is making me laugh so hard: "AIA to trump: Stop Wiping Your Butt (with contemporary architecture styles, that is).

Dec 27, 20 11:05 am  · 
 · 
citizen

There are a few people I've encountered who should start wiping their butt.

Dec 27, 20 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

this ad is everywhere this week! i love how the internet has united us with crappy ads.

Dec 28, 20 1:50 am  · 
2  · 
citizen

Please tell us that pun was just a horrible mistake....

Dec 28, 20 3:05 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

[shit eating grin] :D

Dec 28, 20 8:27 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Best thing on Twitter in four years!

Dec 28, 20 8:42 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

At last, the hope and promise of the information superhighway fulfilled!

Dec 28, 20 8:55 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

seen on twitter 

Dec 29, 20 1:13 pm  · 
2  · 

TC was on page 2. Happy New Year everyone. 

Dec 31, 20 6:23 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

I raise my 10.5% Belgian quad and offer a cheers.

Dec 31, 20 6:45 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Happy New Year!

(image stolen from Reddit)

Jan 1, 21 5:00 am  · 
4  · 
citizen

Wait... we're supposed to credit the images we steal from the interwebs? I'm in big trouble.

Jan 2, 21 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

welcome to twenty twenty won :(

Jan 2, 21 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I just didn't want to give the impression that I created it, you don't have to worry too much citizen...

Jan 4, 21 3:51 pm  · 
1  · 

Starting 2021 by getting in a fight on the Entre Architect Facebook page about what color the shoe moulding should be, match the trim or match the floor. JFC LOL!!

Jan 2, 21 2:04 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I saw that... I'd love to see a situation where the 1/4 round needs to match the floor...

Jan 2, 21 2:15 pm  · 
2  · 

Hot tip: THERE ISN'T ONE

Jan 2, 21 2:38 pm  · 
1  · 

The only time I’ve ever made the trim match the floor is when ceramic tile is involved.

Jan 2, 21 2:55 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

The trim needs to match the drapes, y'all.

Jan 2, 21 3:12 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

That may be the first time base shoe raised my blood pressure.

Jan 2, 21 6:17 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

SneakyPete

I think that's a little personal to be making rules for other people to follow.

Jan 4, 21 12:35 am  · 
 · 

Or match neither. In our previous house (ca 1897), we had wood floors, some stained wood base and some white base, various wall colors, and we went with black for the shoe. It started as an experiment, a "what if...", but we loved it and let it stay.

Jan 4, 21 2:51 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

First we need to define what "match" means.

Jan 4, 21 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

Going back to work on a computer in my bedroom after a 2 week vacation where I didn’t go anywhere doesn’t really feel like I actually went on vacation or I’m going back to work. This break has made me realize that I need to physically be out of the house to feel like I’m going to work.

Jan 3, 21 7:41 pm  · 
6  · 

Usually I take a vacation around this time due to firm being pretty generous with holiday PTO but it felt so different this year. Since cases have come down a bit in Chicago I’ll probably start going into the office more.

Jan 4, 21 11:11 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

so going into the office is the new vacation!

Jan 5, 21 12:42 am  · 
2  · 
Bench

So exotic!

Jan 5, 21 8:23 am  · 
 · 

I never stopped coming into the office during the pandemic. :(

Jan 5, 21 10:33 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

we're in lockdown again this month and this week is the first week where we're doing virtual learning (juniorK) and my wife is doing virtual teaching. The schools could not organize themselves in time for the previous lockdown back march-july, and neither do they have it figured out now, but now we've got to balance 3 schedules. So, instead of going into the office downtown, I'm back in the home office working sporadically whenever I get the chance as their school schedules allow it. This means I can the bulk of my full day done in the evenings.

Jan 5, 21 10:50 am  · 
1  · 

NS, sorry to hear that. My wife has been teaching remotely this whole time. We're lucky to still have our daycare option available or I'd be in the same boat taking care of the 3-year-old during the day and devoting any spare moment to work but the bulk during the evening. I might have to do that occasionally when we give our daycare (i.e. my mother-in-law) the day or week off, but it's been a huge help and we're very lucky to have it available to us. 

On a related note, and we can take the discussion elsewhere if we need to, my wife and I were discussing the other day how people in our area are wanting the schools to open back up, but won't make other sacrifices to get community spread under control. Simplistic, but if presented with the option of 1) have your kids in school or 2) continue eating at restaurants, drinking at bars, and going on vacation ... most seem to favor option 2 (at least based on their collective actions). Disheartening to say the least that as a community we can't focus on what might be in our best interest collectively and make some individual sacrifices. Timely and relevant: The Debate About School Safety Is No Longer Relevant --The Atlantic

Jan 5, 21 1:17 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

EA - I've been screaming this for months. American (and, frankly, many western nation) hierarchy of what people care about has been laid pretty bare here. Given the option of reopening schools or getting drunk in a bar, many places are choosing the latter, despite the *performative* yelling about reopening the schools - think of the children!

Jan 5, 21 1:26 pm  · 
2  · 

yep ... this was also floating around my twitter feed this morning:

Jan 5, 21 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

EA, I'll take a look at the link later, perhaps in between periods when Canada destroys team M.ercia in hockey world juniors tonight. Anyways, schools were reopened in septembre in my province while retail/dining/gyms have flopped between restricted to flat-out closed. Currently, we're in the later stage and schools were tossed in the mix because adults can't be trusted not to vacation or travel and gather during the holidays. The thing is, those who will gloss over the most stringent of restrictions will laugh at reasonable ones and by this point, there are too many people tired of back and forth closures + media & inane political news feeds so this group of wankers keeps growing. Eugh. We do our best to do our part, but even within my relatively intelligent group of friends, I see cracks forming.

Jan 5, 21 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'm becoming more strict. I woke up in a cold sweat the other day after having a distanced outdoor evening meet with one or two close friends thinking about how I couldn't live with the knowledge that my actions caused the illness or death of someone I love.

Jan 5, 21 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

Dang my shoulder hurts.  Getting older sucks.  :(

Jan 5, 21 12:48 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

Wait til you actually get older. :)

Jan 5, 21 12:59 pm  · 
5  · 

I'm 42 so I have a bit to go . . .

Jan 5, 21 1:52 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Wait, you're 42? What in the actual fuck? You look so much younger. My snark is no longer legitimate.

Jan 5, 21 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

The first time I said "I'm getting too old for this shit" was at about 35; at every "milestone" age since then I've looked back at the last milestone and sighed, "Oh, you sweet Summer child..." I'll be 54 in about a week.

Jan 5, 21 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

Now I'm curious to know how old SP is.

Jan 5, 21 3:50 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I'm curious to know how old one thinks I am.

Jan 5, 21 4:02 pm  · 
 · 

Yup, my cherubic face makes me look young. Even more so without a beard.

Fun fact:  humans are born with their acromion bones in 4-5 separate pieces held together with ligaments.  That's how your shoulders can fit through an opening the size of your head. 

About ten years ago I had my acromion screwed together because it never fused right. 

Jan 5, 21 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Baby face AND baby shoulders. So THAT's your secret.

Jan 5, 21 4:08 pm  · 
1  · 

SP, I don't know ... but your snark about Chad waiting until he is actually old, and then the take back when you found out his actual age makes me think somewhere in your early 40's.

Jan 5, 21 4:40 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Was that older or younger than previously thought?

Jan 5, 21 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Just turned 37 recently and the only thing I'm thankful for is this recent 4 week lockdown (until Jan 23) will allow my hands to heal. Injured both middle fingers at the same fucking time slipping off a nice pointy bouldering feature. Figure I was getting old... you're saying it gets worse?

Jan 5, 21 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

I honestly hadn't thought about your age previously. Maybe older if I had to guess.

Edit to add ... I probably think anyone who regularly posts here is either in their mid 30's to early 40's, or much older (like retired or should be retired in their late 60's or older). Exception would be Donna who I'm pretty sure is in her 50's.

Jan 5, 21 4:55 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

I miss bouldering. Haven't climbed since March.

Jan 5, 21 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'll be 35 next week. Officially "mid" thirties!

Jan 5, 21 5:03 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Non, do not fuck with your hands, for real. They take about three months AFTER they stop hurting to fully heal, and if you've ever seen a pulley injury... *shudder*

Jan 5, 21 5:05 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

Pete... I know what those are, one of my ex-climbing partners has one. It's one of the reasons he's no longer climbing. Taking the rest of your advise seriously tho. nursing them daily has almost removed all pain.

Jan 5, 21 5:24 pm  · 
2  · 

I can't recall if I've ever mentioned my age on here before, but like SP, I'm curious how old you all think I am.

Jan 5, 21 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Jan 5, 21 5:42 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

42, That is the only relevant answer.

Jan 5, 21 5:48 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

You were an intern in the late noughties, I think. You're not one to procrastinate, so I agree with archanonymous, 33-35.

Jan 5, 21 5:49 pm  · 
1  · 

I expected your estimates to be a little low. Because I embraced the intern title here until 2017 (coming up on 4-years post-licensure this year), people here tend to think I'm younger than I am. A bit of procrastination, but really it was because I specialized before getting the license. On the other hand, people I work with tend to think I'm older because my skillset is usually for older, more experienced architects. I don't look old though so they usually guess early to mid 40s. It was more shocking to coworkers when I was still in my 20s. 

I'm 36.

Jan 5, 21 6:24 pm  · 
2  · 

Well now I do feel old and slow compared to all of you young people.

Jan 5, 21 7:07 pm  · 
1  · 
liberty bell

tduds you’re too intelligent to only be 35. I refuse to believe it.

Jan 5, 21 10:42 pm  · 
3  · 

^kids these days, amiright?

Jan 5, 21 11:28 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

I wouldn’t use the word intelligent there, that’s not related to age, I would use wise myself...but what do I know ;-)

Jan 6, 21 2:39 am  · 
 · 
tduds

It's funny, in real life people seem to assume I'm slightly younger - a combination of looks and the fact that I took a roundabout path through my 20's that left me 4-5 years behind in my "career advancement" (but much happier for it, and perhaps that's where the, uh, wisdom snuck in).

Either way I'll take the compliment! 

Jan 6, 21 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I didn't realize I was an elder statesman here, at 47. Bunch of whippersnappers.

Jan 6, 21 9:56 am  · 
2  · 

You're OLD Wood Guy. :P

Jan 6, 21 10:25 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

whipersnapper is the name of a great craft brewery real close to my house. Carry-on.

Jan 6, 21 10:36 am  · 
2  · 

Oh please, Wood Guy. I'm almost 54. *I'm* the elder statesperson.

Jan 6, 21 10:42 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

These kids.

Jan 6, 21 10:51 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

There was a kink/fetish meetup for folks under 30 in PDX called "Whipper Snappers" and, while it's not my thing personally, I gotta respect that pun.

Jan 6, 21 10:51 am  · 
4  · 

That is a good pun. Wait - tduds - you're too young to use puns.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Jan 6, 21 11:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

these auto-generation meme quote websites have the best quote to background mashups.

Jan 6, 21 11:04 am  · 
3  · 

Nicely done.  You can stand on my lawn.

Jan 6, 21 11:09 am  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

I think I've got you beat, Donna - I'll be 54 in under a week.

Jan 6, 21 11:30 am  · 
2  · 
tduds

Never too young for a good pun. I'm practicing my dad humor.

Jan 6, 21 12:07 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

I'm almost ashamed to be 56 now.

Jan 6, 21 12:29 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

I'm a long time lover of puns. Highest form of comedy, combining brevity, the absurd, and the unexpected. I think many folks don't like them because they don't think of them first.

Jan 6, 21 12:32 pm  · 
4  · 

I love puns. Have you guys been following the Bean Dad controversy and resulting dad jokes? Like "If I bring you a can of beans and a can opener that I don't know how to work what would you say?" Dad: I'd say you have a can't opener.

Jan 6, 21 12:45 pm  · 
5  · 
citizen

Holy smoke, I'm ancient. I have running shoes and eyeglasses older than some of you. On the plus side, my doctor did compliment me after a recent physical: "You have the supple prostate of a mere 43-year-old, Mr. Citizen.  And you really should return it to him."  (Ba dum bum.)

Jan 6, 21 8:07 pm  · 
5  · 

*snickers like a teenage boy* you said bum

Jan 7, 21 2:14 am  · 
2  · 
Jaetten

Happy New Year y’all!

Jan 5, 21 1:17 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

Going to sleep next to my two favorite people has really helped with my outlook on the future.

Jan 5, 21 1:26 pm  · 
3  · 

Do you mean actual homosapien or dogs?

Jan 5, 21 1:53 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Actual people, currently in nesting doll form.

Jan 5, 21 3:32 pm  · 
4  · 
randomised

There’s no place like cloud nine!

Jan 5, 21 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

what happened to Rick? 

Jan 5, 21 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

Shh, not so loud.

Jan 5, 21 4:13 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Whatever you do, just don't say it 3 times...

Jan 5, 21 4:27 pm  · 
1  · 

he had a few posts over the holidays. Seems like he's been focusing on other things like studying to take the ARE, rather than shit posting on here. I personally think that is a good thing.

Jan 5, 21 4:38 pm  · 
4  · 
Bench

He seems to have now taken mainly to preparing long, elaborate posts complaining about the new changes to NCARB exams implemented during lockdown. I came across a bunch when searching out some help on specific subjects. Which I'm sure will keep him from actually taking the exams.

Jan 5, 21 5:05 pm  · 
1  · 

That's disappointing. I'm still hoping he follows through and takes at least one ... passes it too. After that I don't have strong feelings one way or another. But the dude needs at least something he can look at and say he's accomplished toward his goal of becoming licensed. 

Getting approval from WA state to take the exams is nothing, nor is simply having a NCARB record (these are things he's bragged about in the past). It won't give him any credibility to say he's passed one exam, but it at least will indicate he can accomplish something if he puts his mind to it. Who knows, with a pass on one exam, maybe he can impress an employer to hire him and he can work on his AXP hours. 

I think that is really going to be the thing that holds him back. He's expressed no desire to be an employee to someone else and has such a screwed up view of employee/employer relationships it doesn't surprise me. Regardless, if he wants the license he'll have to do it sooner or later.

Jan 5, 21 5:27 pm  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

holy shit you guys its like you want him to come back and fuck up the forum. 

Also its not polite to talk about someone like they aren't reading this when you know they are. And that goes for anyone, including Rick.

Jan 5, 21 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

I know he's reading it, he emails me about it sometimes. This isn't anything I wouldn't communicate directly to him ... in fact posting it here is basically communicating it directly to him because I know he reads this (Hi Rick). As for messing up the forum, IIRC he can't post to TC and he seems more focused to a few select topics, or at least less willing to shit post lately. It's a gamble, I know.

Jan 5, 21 5:56 pm  · 
3  · 
archi_dude

I enjoyed his posts.

Jan 6, 21 11:21 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

praise her. Say her name.

Jan 6, 21 10:24 pm  · 
7  · 
randomised

Who's that?

Jan 7, 21 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Stacey Abrams.

Jan 7, 21 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Olenna Tyrell

Jan 7, 21 7:00 pm  · 
1  · 

::start bitching::

I'm starting to be sick of this profession. 

I think it has to do with doing all the retail shell and TI projects I've been doing. Sure it's nice to be in charge of everything but at the same time these types of projects just drain the life out of me as they are mostly coordinating the constant changes brought on by the tenant and the developer.  No one knows what they want and when they do their mind changes faster than I can keep up with.  

::end bitching::

Jan 7, 21 11:58 am  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

I've done my fair-share of these as well. Those involving the inclusion of the tenant's design package (often from in-house folks + cheapest available drafting team) are particularly painful. How many of these TI are for spaces that also just happen to be in construction? Had one of these last year and we made some large changes to the building shell to accommodat their particular needs (custom OH door, relocation of under slab conduit & plumbing, move bracing for odd garbage doors, etc). Then tenant bailed on their signed lease agreement with the LL.

Jan 7, 21 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I've been running CA, remotely, on two TIs since October. I'm just about at the end of my rope. Both wrapping up in February (one nice thing about small projects is they finish quickly) so I'm hoping for something meatier in 2021.

Jan 7, 21 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

The thing that really bothers me about doing shell projects is that I can't really design a building without a layout. For me the layout directly impacts the exterior. With the MOB shells I've been doing I basically have to layout the building then do the shell. The TI architects are always really happy with my shell designs because 'everything fits so well'. No kidding.

Jan 7, 21 1:13 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, a few of mine had tenant input for the shell, but at the end of the day, my client is always the LL so they usually don't want too much customization in case the tenant disappears in a few years... but not always the case. Got 2 of them completed 2 years ago in a large retail commercial dev site that stand out well (but still "fit-in" the dev) because we had a decent tenant-shell coordination. Others won't care and stick opaque film to the windows and bolt on cheesy fabric canopies.

Jan 7, 21 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

The shells that get designed without the interior being included will always be compromised, frequently terminally so. Columns in locations that make room layouts impossible, walls where there are no mullions, MEP that has nowhere to go, etc. etc. etc.

Jan 7, 21 2:54 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

don't get me started on mullions that "end" in window panes... just... don't. I've just finished listening to badmotorfinger and can't be responsible for my actions for the next few hours.

Jan 7, 21 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

I should of clarified. This particular developer has a partner and is courting several medical tenants. The tenant will give their input and so will the partner. This input may or may not be given to me by the developer - it depends on if he agrees with it. Sometimes the input the developer decided not to give me winds up being a deciding factor in the lease at a later date. Then comes the design changes.

Jan 7, 21 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I hope your contract specifies that design changes made after the initial design is approved will be included via additional services.

Jan 7, 21 3:49 pm  · 
 · 

Oh of course. I also make sure that at the end of each phase the client signs a release on the drawings stating that they agree with the design and any changes may require additional services fees. It's just frustrating and time consuming.

Jan 7, 21 3:56 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

You're my kinda architect.

Jan 7, 21 4:15 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

You are all singing my song.

Jan 7, 21 5:02 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Loving this firm name.

Jan 7, 21 8:03 pm  · 
6  · 
Wood Guy

I need to move and work there now. https://loveschackarchitecture.com/

Jan 7, 21 8:36 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

Nice work! I do hope there's at least one staffer there with a beehive, though.

Jan 7, 21 8:47 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

And their projects must have rusty tin roofs. And lobster.

Jan 7, 21 8:49 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

^ Yes!  Also, I love that the partners are Lindsey and Lindsay.

Jan 7, 21 9:09 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Right?! Plus it's majority woman owned.

Jan 7, 21 9:11 pm  · 
3  · 
Bench

I wonder if they and their employees need to refer to them as "E" and "A" to differentiate in the studio ... ?

Jan 8, 21 7:32 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

^ I wondered the same, Bench. 

I worked at a place when I was a youngster where we had a Steve, a Steven, and a Stephen. When a fourth Steve was hired, he volunteered to go by 'Kyle.' Not a middle name or anything, just an alias he'd always wanted to try.

Jan 8, 21 7:43 pm  · 
1  · 
liberty bell

<insert can’t tell if serious or joking meme>

Jan 8, 21 10:09 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I prefer to use brand-new containers. You don't know who else had their stuff in there before.

Jan 8, 21 10:36 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

Jan 8, 21 1:01 pm  · 
3  · 

citizen that's perfect.

Jan 8, 21 3:58 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

This plan checksheet says "Provide metal stud legend" & I kinda want to attach a picture of David Lee Roth.

Jan 8, 21 2:32 pm  · 
7  · 
Non Sequitur

I would go with a pic of James Hetfield circa Master of Puppets.

Metallica's James Hetfield's Unseen Photos From 'Master Of Puppets' Era  Revealed - Metalhead Zone

Jan 8, 21 2:43 pm  · 
3  ·  1
archanonymous

not nearly as studly.

Jan 8, 21 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

See?

Jan 8, 21 3:08 pm  · 
2  · 

This veers a bit into punk, but the correct answer is Glenn Danzig.

Jan 8, 21 3:11 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

We can debate the musicianship but I think on "stud legend" status it's hard to top Diamond Dave.

Jan 8, 21 3:13 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

ewwwww, Danzig? If we're going punk at least go Rollins.

Jan 8, 21 3:13 pm  · 
3  · 
citizen

If it says "provide," then provide! Take him to the counter with you when you resubmit.

David Lee Roth - "Just a gigolo" | SWR1 Rheinland-Pfalz | SWR.de

Note:  Sammy Hagar will not be approved as an acceptable substitute.

Jan 8, 21 3:14 pm  · 
3  · 

I would say I’m a Metal Stud, given my love of the genre.

Jan 8, 21 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Young Rollins:

I think Donna should be the ultimate arbiter here.

Jan 8, 21 3:24 pm  · 
5  · 
citizen

^ It's like looking in a mirror...

Jan 8, 21 3:36 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Henry can get it.

Jan 8, 21 3:59 pm  · 
3  · 

I...I...I'm having a hard time thinking straight after seeing that image of a young long-haired Henry Rollins. Good lord. I'm melting like cheese.

Jan 8, 21 4:01 pm  · 
4  · 

Like, I'm feeling inappropriate even letting my mouse arrow linger on his torso? Eff it, I'm not getting anymore work done today... (I worked til 1am last night so it's cool)

Jan 8, 21 4:09 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

My thinking, also, not so straight right now. ;) Happy friday.

Jan 8, 21 4:17 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

I'm not gay but you have to appreciate a healthy specimen like that. Plus Henry's always been cool. Wish I liked his music even a little bit...

Jan 8, 21 4:20 pm  · 
3  · 
citizen

^ Not that there's anything wrong with that, WG.

Jan 8, 21 4:40 pm  · 
3  · 

Stop being horny on main, y’all

Jan 8, 21 4:46 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Total sploosh.

Jan 8, 21 5:01 pm  · 
5  · 
archanonymous

Ngl, I haven't gotten much done since I found that picture of Rollins.

Jan 8, 21 5:32 pm  · 
5  · 
Non Sequitur

I mean, no homo, but I’d totally do a tequila shot from Rollin’s navel.

Jan 8, 21 6:17 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The only metal stud.

Jan 8, 21 6:26 pm  · 
4  · 

Lemmy is God

Jan 8, 21 6:30 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

his face looks like a bag of hammers

striking, but not handsome, I'd say.

what defines a stud, anyhow? orientation? use? fastening? material?

Jan 8, 21 6:31 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

@ Wood Guy - I never loved his music either, he wasn't even the best Black Flag singer and Rollins Band was always a little... off. But I do absolutely love this spoken word weird mashup hidden song they did on one of their albums, and I bet you would too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_R2Iy7XBko

Jan 8, 21 7:24 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Worth the 20min.

Jan 8, 21 9:18 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I'd attach both the real thing and the photo. If they have a problem with it the world is worse off than I already believe.

Jan 10, 21 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Note to self

Jan 8, 21 4:06 pm  · 
10  · 
archanonymous

is this related to the large volume of work you had coming in? Those aren't such bad battles to have...

Jan 8, 21 7:25 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Arch, it came up in my feed while I waded into Politics Central, so that was at top of mind. But it applies to all aspects of life, or at least mine at the moment.

Jan 9, 21 10:54 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

Amen, brother.

Jan 9, 21 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

edit: wrong thread. I'll take it elsewhere.

Jan 8, 21 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Bunch of Nazi's? Whats the collective? Mob is the former

Jan 10, 21 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

"Cuckload"

Jan 10, 21 5:06 pm  · 
4  · 
proto

baker fucking mayfield!!!

Jan 10, 21 11:26 pm  · 
1  · 

Another week staring into the abyss. 

Jan 11, 21 11:56 am  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

Amen. I hate project management.

Jan 11, 21 12:04 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

Is the abyss staring back?

Jan 11, 21 12:10 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

The abyss needs that RFI back, like, yesterday.

Jan 11, 21 12:43 pm  · 
3  · 

All the abyss says to me is 'oh, one more thing' . . . .

Jan 11, 21 12:46 pm  · 
1  · 

If you don't give the abyss what it needs, it's going to delay the construction schedule, and the abyss will submit a change order.

Also, the abyss has a concrete pour scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Jan 11, 21 1:05 pm  · 
3  · 

Actually the abyss wants: 

Design concepts for three different buildings by Friday

CA on two core and shell projects

CD's on a TI.

CD's on a freestanding mechanical screen for the public side of 10 story bank

Contact a potential client. 

Jan 11, 21 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
square.

this doesn't sound sustainable.

Jan 11, 21 1:53 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

The abyss wants you to get those studies done by tomorrow, but don't start until we get a signed add service which hasn't been written yet.

Jan 11, 21 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

Oh the abyss knows that I don't do anything without a signed contract and all scheduled dates are from the day the contract was signed.

Jan 11, 21 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I could use a little quality abyss time. Today is my 17th day straight in the office, 194.5 hours booked since Boxing Day, as of 19:00 last night. At least I got Christmas and Boxing Day off.

Jan 11, 21 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

There's a little word I'd like to introduce you to.

No.

Jan 11, 21 2:23 pm  · 
7  · 

AN- that's nuts. I'm busy but I'm only doing 40 hours a week.

Jan 11, 21 2:24 pm  · 
2  · 

Currently my abyss has switched to firehose mode. It's coming at me so fast I can't gte anything done.

Jan 11, 21 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Thanks, Pete & Chad,

This is an extraordinary situation, not the norm at all at this company. Prior to this project blowing up, I had rarely worked any OT here, and never more than a few hours.

Jan 11, 21 2:39 pm  · 
1  · 

AN - that's how I am here as well except I don't allow myself to made to work overtime. I just had the mechanical screen project assigned to someone else - thank gowd. I suppose some could view this as a bad thing but meh, I've got a lot going on and appreciate the help!

Jan 11, 21 4:31 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

"Firehose" sounds about right. Not happy with my employer right now--he took on way too much work. Unfortunately he is me.

Jan 11, 21 6:16 pm  · 
3  · 

I keep telling you Wood Guy, you need to take that stuff up with HR or your employer will keep walking all over you and exploiting you.

Jan 11, 21 6:48 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

AN, that's a bummer. Hopefully it will end sooner rather than later and they hit you with a big raise next year.

Jan 11, 21 7:00 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I know, sorry to keep complaining here. It's borderline comical at this point. Or I'm borderline, perhaps.

Jan 11, 21 7:01 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Certifiable. Also passionate, competent, invested, well-intentioned, and important.

Jan 11, 21 7:03 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

I don't know about "important." Competency is a goal I strive toward. Otherwise, yeah.

Jan 11, 21 7:22 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

You've increased the collective knowledge of the profession, I consider that of import.

Jan 11, 21 7:26 pm  · 
3  · 

Humble too

Jan 11, 21 7:28 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Well, this 10% trappiste brew ain't gonna drink itself. Carry on.

Jan 11, 21 8:52 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Non, sounds heady. And wise.

Jan 11, 21 9:34 pm  · 
1  · 
archi_dude

The abyss was quite powerful today but luckily there is this island of light called home with the wifey and some solid waves a couple blocks away. Keep everything in perspective everyone and let's all learn to say "no, how are those hires you promised 6 months ago coming?"

Jan 11, 21 9:36 pm  · 
2  · 
Bench

Curious WG - if you're so busy why haven't you added some staff? I think you said you've relied on a network of colleagues/freelancers in the past to get by with the flux, is that still the case?

(I'm not copping for a job, just trying to think more like management)

Jan 12, 21 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Bench, I have four architects freelancing with me, which is definitely helping. But there is still a lot of management to do, and many of my projects are small, weird renovations that I can't delegate effectively. I'm working on being better at business, though. A bookkeeper just started, and will take a few months to train (mostly her training me).

Jan 12, 21 9:57 am  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

What about hiring project managers who are specifically NOT design minded so they keep their eye on the ball instead of chasing their true calling at the expense of the job they were hired to do? I am projecting here...

Jan 12, 21 12:59 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Thanks Pete. I have kind of an unusual situation, I think. I've become something of an expert (or perceived expert) in relatively affordable, high-performance, low-carbon homes and renovations on tight budgets. I also do unusual projects: coming up are a 50' x 120' goat barn, turning a 1790 timber framed barn into a house, etc.. I work out of a guest bedroom in my house and don't have room to expand, so I can only have remote help. I live in a very rural area but almost all of my jobs are 1-2 hours away, in all directions. I'm not an architect so fresh grads don't want to work for me and experienced architects often have an attitude, perhaps justifiably. I am fast and provide a good value, though I've steadily raised my rates and I believe I'm competitive with architects in my area.

Anyway, that was supposed to be short--your idea is interesting and I can see that being a good goal. Before I do that I need to get away from the concept of selling myself, which has become easy, and instead sell what my firm can do.

One of the architects helping me right now is great and lives in my primary market area. I'm trying to treat him as project designer, but because he came on after the client hired me and wanted to work with me, I'm staying involved for now. But he could be perfect as a project architect, if he was happy remaining a subcontractor. I'd be happy to hire him as an employee but I don't think he's interested in that.

Jan 12, 21 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

WG, your description of your practice sounds like exactly what I am looking for when my time in my current firm is up! (not that I'm looking for a job or anything). Point being, I'm sure if you keep looking and keep the word out you'll be able to keep finding good architects like the one you describe.

Jan 12, 21 1:33 pm  · 
1  · 
archi_dude

WG, sounds like you can raise your rates higher and increase your schedules?

Jan 12, 21 2:33 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Archi_dude, yes--my current batch of jobs are all on my previous rate, but I increased it 15% about a month ago for projects going forward. I'm scheduling new work for "sometime around June or later." A few people are willing to wait.

Jan 12, 21 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Archanonymous, I will say it feels great to be in demand! I made a big career change about six years ago and have had a few big missteps since then. It's only been about a year and a half that I'm really focusing on this as a business, or at least trying to, and it's paying off--largely just being in the right place at the right time, but I'll take it.

Jan 12, 21 2:46 pm  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

Clearing the study, we found this receipt. Our first meal as a married couple!

Jan 12, 21 9:00 am  · 
3  · 
Bench

No double double ?!

- Just kidding, I take my coffee black. Great find!

Jan 12, 21 9:04 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Left any tip?

Jan 12, 21 9:58 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

so 2 different types of potato and a coke?

Jan 12, 21 10:11 am  · 
2  · 
Jaetten

Soy latte from Starbucks at the Hilton, don't think I could manage more coffee haha. 

I prefer paying on card and giving tips in cash. 

Not the most exciting menu as we had a coach to catch and were killing time while we waited.

Jan 12, 21 10:59 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

could have at least ordered a Canadian maple doughnut.

Jan 12, 21 11:08 am  · 
 · 
tduds

"Canadian maple" ...redundant?

Jan 12, 21 11:42 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

tduds, Canadian maple is a cream-filled (is that a gigiti?) pastry with maple flavoured icing... not to be confused with the maple dip, which is a regular doughnut without fill but with the same maple icing. The Canadian maple is essentially a boston cream with maple icing instead of chocolate. See exhibit A below.

No photo description available.

Jan 12, 21 11:49 am  · 
5  · 
tduds

Yum.

Jan 12, 21 11:51 am  · 
1  · 

Waaaaait a minute. How have I spent so much time in Michigan and never heard of a Canadian Maple donut? That sounds amazing! Is it a Tim Horton's thing only, because I've never been to one.

Love the receipt, Jaetten! Husband and I honeymooned in Niagara Falls!

Jan 12, 21 1:00 pm  · 
4  · 
tduds

I once had a whirlwind roadtrip romance in Niagara Falls (and elsewhere in Canada). I always tell people it was like taking a honeymoon with a total stranger.

Incidentally my actual honeymoon was a roadtrip. Guess I've got a type.

Jan 12, 21 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The Canadian maple is a Tim Horton classic. Their baked goods are pretty terrible since they come pre-baked and frozen. Their coffee is also pretty bad, but it’s cheap and there is a Tim’s at every street corner up here.

Jan 12, 21 1:39 pm  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

Sounds like Dunkin without the sharps containers in the bathroom stalls and the crackheads out front.

Jan 12, 21 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

ArchA... There are plenty of Tims near my office where I don't even think my steel-toe boots will protect me from the needles.

Jan 12, 21 8:25 pm  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

Thanks Non, I'll have to find a vegan recipe and make my own maple doughnuts!

Jan 14, 21 11:50 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I worked briefly on the project in this image about 4 years ago. 

I've finally made it, y'all.

Jan 12, 21 2:12 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

I kept an old metals catalog around for years because a project I worked on was featured on the cover. I finally tossed it in the last office cleaning purge.

Jan 12, 21 2:30 pm  · 
3  · 
atelier nobody

My "15 minutes" can be seen here: https://eventscape.com/portfolio/miss-sixty/

Jan 14, 21 1:54 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

was the human specifically backlit for the photo or is it really that translucent? Neat shape, reminds me of my favorite lamps.

Jan 14, 21 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Yes, they really were translucent, although I'm sure the backlighting was also enhanced for the photo. The stretched fabric was roughly tee-shirt weight.

Jan 14, 21 7:18 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

I had to mute x-jla.  I think he needs a break from social media. 

Jan 13, 21 4:19 pm  · 
6  · 
citizen

Thank you for letting us know.

Jan 13, 21 4:36 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

Did it over a year ago, the forum is much more enjoyable without having to sift through conspiracy theories.

Jan 14, 21 8:19 am  · 
3  · 

I'm still not sure how x-jla can spend so much time here yet claim to own and run a business.

Jan 14, 21 10:10 am  · 
2  · 
midlander

owners own, workers work

Jan 14, 21 10:53 am  · 
 · 

Not really but sure.

Jan 14, 21 10:55 am  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

Owners with the wrong priorities and a misguided and wrong understanding of their business merely own. And after typing that, it makes so much sense...

Jan 14, 21 12:20 pm  · 
2  · 
midlander

i think you understood my point Pete ;)

Jan 14, 21 10:17 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

I had him muted for a bit, then thought perhaps I could just not engage. I failed. Back on mute for a few weeks.

Jan 15, 21 11:51 am  · 
2  · 

I just unmuted because I'd see about 5 of his replies to my one comment. Couldn't help myself. Left him a note in politics central higher up on the page and put him back on mute.

Jan 15, 21 11:54 am  · 
2  · 
tduds

It's a real shame, being unable to have an actual conversation in that thread. There were some potentially interesting ones, too.

Jan 15, 21 12:02 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

I came across a proverb recently that seems extremely relevant to the Politics thread: "You cannot wake a man who is pretending to be asleep."

Jan 15, 21 1:30 pm  · 
4  · 

Whooo Hooo!  

On January 20th I gen an MRI find out what's wrong with my shoulder.

On January 27th I get ablation done to stop my hearts spark plugs from misfiring.  

One hell of a month eh?

Jan 14, 21 11:37 am  · 
3  · 
gibbost

Getting old is not for the faint of heart. Good luck. Hope everything goes well.

Jan 14, 21 11:52 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

have you tried unplugging it and replugging it back in?

Jan 14, 21 11:57 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I've started having trouble getting to sleep because I wonder when my first health issue will crop up. Been extraordinarily lucky for four decades, I imagine it'll be a doozy.

Jan 14, 21 12:19 pm  · 
1  · 

Honestly what's contributing more than anything to my aging is sitting all the damn day long. I do walk the dog frequently, but sitting is evil. Hope your procedures go well, Chad!

Jan 14, 21 12:35 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Hope things go well Chad. The MRI dye is a real treat. Fucking burns so bad going in, but if you go somewhere good they mix it with some IV Valium so you hardly remember it! 

@Donna, the clock is ticking on my current job, and I think something design-build, forensic, or in the field is top-of-list for what's next. I'm so much happier when not at a desk all day.

Jan 14, 21 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for all the well wished. 

NS - I don't think my wife would like the shutdown and restart option.

The irony is that I take rather good care of myself.  All of my ailments are genetic.  Grrrrrr. 

Oh, the MRI is for my bad shoulder and not related to the rouge wiring my body decided my heart needed. Neither condition is serious, just painful and annoying.

Jan 14, 21 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

rouge wiring? how fancy.

Jan 14, 21 2:19 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

I started taking a pill for high blood pressure 2 days ago, getting old really sucks, but bad genetics sucks even more. Good luck on your procedures!

Jan 14, 21 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

Rouge wiring is fancy! So much so that without insurance it costs $15K to fix because the cardiologist has to use the fancy medical instruments to fix.

Jan 14, 21 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

how much is it if they use the old rusty stuff in the broom closet?

Jan 14, 21 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

$3.50.

Jan 14, 21 5:17 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

a question posted on twitter

Jan 14, 21 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

If I'm being honest, I prefer most (remaining) examples of Art Deco and older buildings to 99.9% of modern stuff, but there's such complex and varied reasons for that. And the reasons we can't build like that now are so extensive. Kinda laughable to ask about it on Twitter.

Jan 14, 21 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

because of a few things such as cost, lead times, material sourcing, available quality trades... lack of revit plugins too.

Jan 14, 21 4:20 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Good taste, among other reasons.

Jan 14, 21 4:20 pm  · 
2  ·  1
square.

capitalism

Jan 14, 21 4:21 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

Clients with the money to pursue such an endeavour appropriately

Jan 14, 21 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

I think it's mostly the lack of Revit plugins /s

Jan 14, 21 5:10 pm  · 
5  · 
Wood Guy

While not quite that ornate, woodworker friends of mine approach that level of work. I can't share images but check out "projects" here: https://www.tidewatermillwork.com/.

Jan 14, 21 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Let's not forget labor laws and the EPA. Darn government requiring workers to be paid for their time, given time off, and not letting us use toxic materials and procedures that kill the workers. It's all socialisms fault I say.

Jan 14, 21 5:16 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Find a client who wants it, we'll get it done. What's that you say? They don't want to pay for it? Oh. That's that, then.

Jan 14, 21 5:40 pm  · 
5  · 
randomised

Ah the memories...

Jan 14, 21 5:50 pm  · 
3  · 
gibbost

There's also maintenance and upkeep. You still see a little of this in ostentatious residential design--where owners have fulltime staff around to dust, wax, shine, repair, etc. I can only imagine the facilities/grounds crew on most of the commercial projects I've worked on showing up and realizing I specified a chandelier with 1,000 Swarovski crystals.

Jan 14, 21 5:58 pm  · 
3  · 
archi_dude

Did a crazy asbuilt of an extremely ornate hotel from 1880. I'm sad I lost the CAD I made of it. Building department immediately shot down the renovation requests. Thank god.

Jan 14, 21 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

i love classical and even baroque architecture, but interiors like this are totally gross. i can't understand how anyone actually likes them, though i am impressed by the intricacy. art deco or fairly pure gothic are great.

Jan 14, 21 10:25 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

My office had a client in the 80s who wanted something like this, including gargoyles and all that, on their new apartment complex (to this day, I believe it's the single largest building in my province, covering an entire city block). They sent one of our architects to live with an old sculptor in Germany who sculpted all these figures which were shipped back to Canada. It's all super tacky but very impressive and it'll never happen again.

Jan 14, 21 11:22 pm  · 
3  · 
bowling_ball

Oh also it has a revolving restaurant on the top floor, because of course it does.

Jan 14, 21 11:24 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Damn BB, that sounds like some project.

Jan 15, 21 12:00 am  · 
 · 
citizen

It's no Bjarke or Zaha, but it has its merits.Opera Garnier - Grand Staircase 3D model | Paris opera house, Opéra  garnier, Opera garnier paris

Jan 15, 21 12:34 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

BB, Fort Garry Place?

Jan 15, 21 8:11 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Of course this week grinds to a slow end leaving  me with a sea shanty stuck in my head. WTF.

Jan 15, 21 10:00 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Been watching too much Colbert.

Jan 16, 21 12:15 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

No, it’s everywhere! I swear early this week McMansion Hell did a sea shanty tweet and then I heard about sea shanties every day including NPR talking about them Friday night WTF?

Jan 16, 21 5:12 am  · 
1  · 
curtkram

I have seen the sea shanty trend as well, so i don't think it's just you . i think it started on tik tok

Jan 16, 21 12:37 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

I wish it were sea shanties, not just 1000 versions of the same one.

Jan 19, 21 2:17 pm  · 
1  · 

Gonna sing a sea shanty about being 100 lbs down. 

Jan 17, 21 12:06 pm  · 
12  · 
SneakyPete

You're looking great!

Jan 17, 21 12:09 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Wow, nice work, Josh!

Jan 17, 21 12:38 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Envious kudos, Josh!

Jan 17, 21 2:59 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

And since I can't find any other fault to make me feel good about myself, might I point out the unmade bed? (Okay, a teensy bit better.)

Jan 17, 21 4:42 pm  · 
1  · 

You’re not the first one to call me out for the unmade bed in most of my progress pictures.

Jan 17, 21 7:24 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Why make the bed? You're just gonna get back in it tonight.

Jan 18, 21 1:53 pm  · 
1  ·  1
SneakyPete

Jan 18, 21 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

There's something relaxing about getting into a made bed.

Jan 18, 21 2:16 pm  · 
2  · 

For Christmas I asked for and received a coverlet that is a line drawing of a map of Indianapolis. It is wonderfully centering to get into bed and see, on the map, exactly where I am at that moment as I get into bed. It reminds me of the Steven Wright joke about drawing a map of the US at 1:1 scale.

Jan 18, 21 4:44 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

I love Steven Wright.

Jan 18, 21 7:35 pm  · 
3  · 
atelier nobody

I read somewhere that it's actually better to leave the bed unmade, so the bedding airs out. At least, that's what I'm going with.

Looking good, Josh!

Jan 19, 21 2:16 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Today's CA eyeroll: Received an RFI asking me to approve a submittal.

Jan 18, 21 1:54 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

I got something similar today as well. We're not involved in a large tenant fit-up, but we did the base-building (9 storey office building). Tenant GC sends me RFI on friday for a tenant required partition (it's rated therefore cannot be dealt with by the interior designers under contract by tenant). I then get another RFI this morning to call the GC about the RFI. Sorry bud our contract is with the landlord and I'm not jumping hoops to suit your schedule and without landlord approval of additional fees. RFI due date is this wednesday anyways.

Jan 18, 21 2:03 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

You ought to be nice to the contractors. A day will come when they'll cover your ass. Teamwork man, teamwork! Can go a long way.

Jan 18, 21 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Aps, for my situation, we are not under any obligation to answer this GC's questions. In order to answer them, we need the go-ahead from the landlord since it's the landlord that pays our bills. The RFI I've received requires a few stamped sketches as well as a modification to an existing building permit so it's not something that can be resolved with a simple phone call. Otherwise, under normal circumstances, I agree. I often try to negotiate with the GC when issues arise so that both parties look good in the eyes of the client (depending on who's fuck up we're talking about this time).

Jan 18, 21 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

It's a two way street. I have great rapport with plenty of contractors, but they gotta respect my time as well.

Jan 18, 21 5:26 pm  · 
2  · 
curtkram

i'm ready for the day when a contractor covers my ass. i'm sure there are stories from the '70s when this happened.

Jan 18, 21 8:26 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This happened to me once. Contractor submitted an RFI that to me, was clearly a wood truss submittal, and I said so I'm the response. Later on, because I "revised and resubmit" the thing, I got the resubmit, but curiously from a different supplier. I wrote my comments, and also put in the submission "see previous submission for additional comments". Meaning of course, that the contractor needed to review previous submittals, because you know they never review submittals themselves, and make note to the sub of the other comments...! Well, wouldn't you know, the parapet truss framing, was not per the contract documents, or the submittal comments. Assholes.

Jan 19, 21 5:34 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

for those interested, I just got another rfi for the same item. Apparently the trades are on site "waiting" for my response. Hummm, I guess no one told this GC the communication rules.

Jan 19, 21 8:38 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

NS,

Time to review the path and process of communications at the next site meeting. Hopefully, with the Owner present.

Jan 19, 21 9:16 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Aps, that would be a great idea. The thing is, we’re only involved in case the fit up GC has questions about the built base-building (completed in 2016). They are asking, and trying to pressure us, to give them immediate details (at our cost since not authorized by landlord) that are significant life safety items & new construction. The funny thing is that even if the LL green lights our scope, they won’t get shit for several weeks since it will need to go to the city as amendment to a permit.    

Jan 19, 21 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Communication rules ironed out. After 3 requests over 2 days, our client cleared out the confusion with his tenants' GC and what they (the GC) expected to be a detailed answer, turned out to just be a one-liner " please refer to drawing X, note Y" type email response. The bulk of the work is now in the court of those actually responsible for the scope.

Jan 19, 21 12:39 pm  · 
1  · 

So a client of mine refuses to wear a mask at jobsite meetings and just tested positive for COVID.  His response - 'oh it's ok Chad, you always wore your mask'.  :(

Of course I now have a cold too.  Getting tested yet again this week.  Weeeee!

Jan 19, 21 10:36 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

effing a**holes

Jan 19, 21 10:45 am  · 
 · 

If I get quarantined then I can't work from home - don't have a computer. I'll just have to take a leave of absence and the firm can pick up all my work.

Jan 19, 21 10:53 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

You have no idea the security I have to pass to get into my sites. QR code --> confirmation text with identity --> online screening test --> entry. But it's worth it because I know I (probably) won't be standing next to a covidiot when I get inside.

Jan 19, 21 11:03 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

I would not go to a meeting with a maskless client.

Jan 19, 21 11:47 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

Holy shit, that’s awful! What an ass! I’m sure though your bosses will allow you, with your workload, to take your workstation home and work remotely...

Jan 20, 21 2:33 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Hope the test came back negative.

Jan 22, 21 2:31 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

just a quick rant. I feel like since March there hasn’t been a single day when I didn’t feel my to do list was three times as long as I could possibly accomplish and still be able to sleep, or rest, or take care of my family, friends, and home, and we’re in the middle of a pandemic and a coup attempt and everyone still expects that everyone else can just drop everything to take care of *their* problem. Grrrrrr

Jan 19, 21 12:55 pm  · 
8  · 
liberty bell

And just to add to that, I have been hyper aware of how stressed out everyone is since March, so I have been incredibly forgiving of everyone else I come in contact with. You lost my pizza order? No problem I can wait. You forgot to send my tax form? No worries, just send it now. You left me on hold for 10 minutes? It’s OK we’ve all been there. Everyone is doing the best they can right now, except apparently they ALL aren’t because it seems like I’m the only one being patient?!

Jan 19, 21 12:59 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

I hear ya. The crushing anxiety of it all definitely ebbs and flows for me. This has been a good week.* The typical boundaries between work-life and home-life have blurred to the point of invisibility this year, & the best thing for me was to construct new boundaries. The most important thing you can do is fully unplug when you punch out. Work stays in my office, to the point that I'll leave my phone in the office to eat lunch in my dining room. When all else fails, there's long walks with the dog and evening hot tub beers. Finally, it should be more accepted that mental health is health and sick time for "mental health days" is absolutely yours to use. I constantly remind myself that there's only so much I can do and ther e is nothing in my job that's more important than my sanity.

(*He said, on Tuesday morning)

Jan 19, 21 1:06 pm  · 
2  · 
liberty bell

Like, I don’t even have time to go to the bathroom. I’ve come to work without makeup this week because I ran out and haven’t had time to go to the drugstore to get any. And tomorrow at 1pm the whole country might collapse anyway.

Jan 19, 21 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

And I COULD have plenty of time to go to the bathroom if I didn’t spend 1/3 of my workday finding the correct online shared excel spreadsheet then uploading it to the two separate project management sites instead of just picking up the phone and calling someone to tell them the answer. I really hate contemporary practice.

Jan 19, 21 2:05 pm  · 
2  · 
apscoradiales

Retirement! That's what I did. Fuck everything.

Jan 19, 21 2:30 pm  · 
2  · 
liberty bell

And on top of it all I get a text update on my phone every day of how many Americans died of Covid that day. And my unhoused friend STILL can’t get a roof over her head, and yesterday was a new report that something like one quarter of American children live in food-insecure homes. And we’re all supposed to carry on as if everything is fine?!?!

Jan 19, 21 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Hah, retirement. That's a good one.

Jan 19, 21 2:47 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

A few months ago I told my recently-retired dad that I'm too young to retire and he corrected me: "No, you're too poor to retire."

Jan 19, 21 2:47 pm  · 
5  · 

I can confirm that being too poor to retire is definitely a thing. My dad (71) was basically forced to retire 5-6 years ago, but still has a part time job and probably will until he physically can't do it anymore.

Jan 19, 21 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

The only people who have enough money (pensions) up in Canada are former government workers or as we call them civil service. If you worked for a private company or for yourself, you're fucked.

Jan 19, 21 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Liberty Bell, I want to give you permission to not take on the weight of the world. It's not necessary. Help out where you can, but infinite potential futures really doesn't need to live your head rent-free. Seriously - what possible effect could you have on the presidential transition tomorrow? About worldwide hunger? I know it's great to think big and we all want to contribute to making the world a better place, but there are thousands upon thousands of actual experts in those areas, who work on these problems full time. You'll go crazy trying to fix everything.

Jan 19, 21 4:25 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

b_b I know your heart is in the right place but as someone who struggles with anxiety, the suggestion that I can just "not think about" things beyond my control can come off as dismissive. I don't know Donna's feelings but it sounds like something similar.

If I could control them, they wouldn't be called emotions.

Jan 19, 21 5:14 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

googles "Hang in there cat" poster... but then realizes he hates cats. I honestly don't get how y'all deal with what going on within your borders. Every time I look at the news, whatever is currently bothering me disappears for a few minutes. With that said, I was almost livid last week when my 4y old's school called us to justify his absence from online learning...

Jan 19, 21 5:19 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

NS, I wonder how many hits the Canadian Immigration (and New Zealand, Australia, UK, Ireland, Denmark, and Sweden) web site has gotten in the last few weeks. I certainly would have been checking if I hadn't already done my research about 4 years ago.

Jan 19, 21 6:20 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Architects are NOT desired in NZ...

Jan 19, 21 8:16 pm  · 
 · 

bowling_ball, my therapist has many times pointed out to me that I'm a narcissist if I think I can solve every problem in the world. I concede both - no, I can't fix all the problems in the world and yes, I'm still a narcissist about it.

Jan 19, 21 9:20 pm  · 
3  · 
atelier nobody

I just have trust issues - I not sure I can solve every problem, but I'm pretty sure nobody else can.

Jan 19, 21 9:46 pm  · 
2  · 
bowling_ball

I didn't mean to come across as insensitive and I'm sorry if I did. We all have our struggles and sometimes I need somebody to remind me that some things are out of my control. I live with somebody who struggles with similar feelings and I see the toll it takes on her. Not easy.

Jan 19, 21 10:18 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

No hard feelings! Like I said I know you mean well. For me, it doesn't matter a lick whether or not I have the power to influence something, sometimes I'm going to inexplicably fixate on it. I've developed some healthy (and some unhealthy) coping mechanisms over the past 35 years but that's anxiety for ya.

Jan 19, 21 11:40 pm  · 
1  · 

Feeling significantly lighter today. Yesterday was rough.

Jan 20, 21 8:33 am  · 
11  · 
Non Sequitur

A good dump sure does wonders.

Jan 20, 21 8:38 am  · 
9  · 

let's not forget the real spiritual leader of the whole thing today.

Jan 20, 21 3:13 pm  · 
5  · 
tduds

Jan 20, 21 3:47 pm  · 
4  · 

hand delivering a letter instead of wasting taxpayer's money >>> Chair of the Senate Budget Committee

Jan 20, 21 4:51 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

All I want to know is: Are his mittens connected with a rope through his sleeves?

Jan 20, 21 4:53 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

you know they are.

Jan 20, 21 8:42 pm  · 
1  · 

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/06/bernie-sanders-civil-rights-movement-activism Bernie's clothing reflected that he still has a lot of youth in him. Just like he had since his Vietnam war era activism days with stylish protest clothing. He was and is a free-spirited intellectual who mastered politics to the humanistic ends and causes. I like the young groups he fostered in both houses and they are growing. It's time for America to have real leftists in Congress. I think the country needs it if just for a voice to be heard. Senator Sanders set the spirit of the democratic campaign and brought in the youth to vote Democrat for the right reasons such as the better distribution of wealth and wages, social justice, healthcare and housing, jobs, so on. Biden, a centrist, is lucky for being in the right place right time. The country needed a midfielder with a strong cv and he was there. His religious overtones are very American. IMO, he is trying to restore a romantic image of the American ethics and purity that was long gone, approx. Korean war and assassinations, followed by Vietnam, followed by Nixon, followed by being the crusader and the police everywhere in the world, and fast forward to this day as a big picture plus a plague. I am so glad Biden has a whole variety of good help around him. Bright modern and ambitious people. Democrats with the civil causes look very strong and I like some of the young politicians with Bernie's influence are under their umbrella now. Whether you like it or not, even though they are not talking about it loudly, social democrats won considerably this last election in the sea of a conservative and unique brand of American politics.

Jan 20, 21 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
Jaetten

living rural, is it practical for the professional in this industry. Any here live in rural locations!

Jan 24, 21 7:21 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I live in a town of about 1200, average of 30 per square mile. It's a 30 minute drive to a town of 10K or more. It's 75 miles to a small city of 60,000. Most of my work is in or near that city (Portland, Maine) and almost none of my work is closer than a 30 minute drive. Knock on wood, I have always had more work available than I can do. But most of it is relatively utilitarian--not much Architecture, mostly modest new homes and renovations.

Jan 24, 21 10:49 am  · 
1  · 

Totally not kidding, at this point in my career I'd be so happy to be doing modest homes and renovations. I love personal projects.

Jan 24, 21 9:40 pm  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

Donna, it's not easy and honestly I'm not perfectly suited for it, though I do my best. But I know you'd be really good at it. Is there a reason you wouldn't go back to residential architecture?

Jan 24, 21 11:44 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

My goal for part-time work in retirement (since gods know I won't have enough savings to quit working altogether) is to design follies - kids' playhouses, doghouses, shed/studios. It'll probably have to be design-build, since I doubt it would be very lucrative doing design only, so I'll need to improve my carpentry skills.

Jan 25, 21 12:19 pm  · 
2  · 

Wood Guy, 100% the only reason I'm not self-employed doing residential remodels right now: health insurance. Thanks, American Exceptionalism!

Jan 25, 21 12:53 pm  · 
5  · 
proto

don't get me started on health insurance...fuuuuck! That said, I love the flexibility of having a small practice. Assuming I can keep work coming in the door...LOL. [i mean, it's just anxiety, right? fingers crossed each & every month... ]

Jan 25, 21 6:07 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Our health care system is... well, you know. For five years my wife and I, in our mid-40s, no kids, were on the ACA. Some years our income was low enough to get a subsidy but most years it was about $14K per year for premiums and a $13K combined deductible. Neither of us saw a doctor over that time period.

Now we have insurance through her work; it's a slightly better value but not much. It works out to about $140/wk for each of us to pay the premiums, and we started an HSA to pay for incidental healthcare items without having to pay tax.

It's not ideal; we should be like civilized countries and have an actual healthcare system, not an insurance system based on sick-care. But if you are staying in a job you hate just for the health insurance, how much would you have to charge to pay for your own?

Jan 26, 21 2:06 pm  · 
2  · 

Well I'm back!  

I did get COVID.  I still feel rather blah and have shortness of breath and fatigue.

I'm not sure how much damage it's done to my lungs and heart though.  I'll have a test done in another two weeks and compare them to what they where 6 months ago. 

Overall I'm a bit worried right now since my lung capacity was already at the low end of normal (just genetics, I'm at 81%, anything at or above 80% is normal).

Jan 25, 21 10:55 am  · 
5  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Any idea how? From that asshole client?

Jan 25, 21 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

can you sue said asshole client?

Jan 25, 21 11:04 am  · 
2  · 

If the meeting was at a jobsite (I think you mentioned that earlier), you might have a better chance suing the contractor who failed to ensure proper safety procedures were in place and followed ... but probably not worth it in the long run. Probably would have more of an effect if you just quit the project leaving the client without an architect. I know that's probably not an option though. 

Hope you're doing ok and that you suffer no long term effects.

Jan 25, 21 11:50 am  · 
 · 

I cannot comment on the who and how of the situation beyond what I've already said. . I can say this - if I quit the project I'd also be quitting my position with the firm I'm at.

Jan 25, 21 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

so, tossing this out there, what would happen if you were on site and suffered an injury because the GC failed to cover a slab opening? Perhaps not worth the effort unless you can demonstrate permanent injury and can establish negligence. heal-up quickly.

Jan 25, 21 12:06 pm  · 
2  · 

The issue may be that my lung capacity could be permanently reduced to the point where I no longer could do what I used to. Also it would reduce my life span by around 10 years.

Jan 25, 21 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

Chad I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope you are not one of the "long haulers". It's a scary illness.

Jan 25, 21 12:54 pm  · 
3  · 

I hope so too as I am NOT going to live like this.

Jan 25, 21 1:30 pm  · 
4  · 
randomised

Fucking hell, that’s horrible! “Get well, get well soon, we want you

Jan 25, 21 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

to get well” https://youtu.be/N3TuOQkN7e0

Jan 25, 21 4:24 pm  · 
2  · 

Hahahahaha!

Jan 25, 21 4:35 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Here's hoping for a brief and light bout, quick recovery, and zero lasting effects for you, Chad. For the spreader, maybe some genital warts and a tax audit.

Jan 25, 21 5:47 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

Sorry to hear this @Chad Miller...best wishes for a short & full recovery!

Jan 25, 21 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Chad I keep thinking about you saying you can’t live like this, and I’m reminded of when I got my wisdom teeth extracted at age 34. The surgery and recovery pain wasn’t terrible, but I had some nerve damage at the back of my mouth that was extremely painful and miserable. A week or more after surgery, when I went back for a follow up and the dentist told me there was a slim chance that the nerve pain would not abate over time, I specifically remember thinking “If I have to live with pain like this I can’t live. I’ll off myself instead.” Thankfully, six months later it was just a small tingly irritation, and a year later up until now I only feel it when I floss. So: hang in there. Chances seem more likely that you’ll recover fully, over time!

Jan 26, 21 10:35 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

One of my clients is in the hospital with covid and might not make it. He was a good one too. :(

Jan 27, 21 8:42 am  · 

You guys: I *highly recommend* that you purchase this five-lecture series, Mondays at 11 or again at 7, presented by Kevin Adkisson of Cranbrook, on the history of visiting architects coming to see Cranbrook and what happened next...Full of gorgeous images and lots of gossip, and Kevin is the most engaging speaker I've ever seen. It's also approved for CEU credit! The first lecture just finished but I believe if you register now you can see it again tonight, or have it sent to you. $75 for five lectures of this caliber is a BARGAIN. 

HISTORY OF AMERICAN ARCHITECTURE: CRANBROOK VISITORS | Cranbrook Center for Collections and Research

I had forgotten this story but Kevin presented it again today: When Corbusier arrived in the US he expected a huge press turnout because he was kinda famous or at least thought he was? But no one even met him in the New York port. George Booth of Cranbrook got wind of this and arranged for every one of his photographers (Booth owned newspapers) to meet Corbu at the Detroit airport, to assuage his 'lil bruised ego LOL!

Jan 25, 21 12:58 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I can't tell if this for the politics thread, or the problems in architecture thread.

Jan 25, 21 5:22 pm  · 
5  · 

That gives me some inspiration for the MOB shell I'm working on . . .

Jan 25, 21 5:31 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

I want to know more about this cartoon

Jan 26, 21 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Am I the only one who doesn't understand anything about it?

Jan 26, 21 2:00 pm  · 
4  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I know, I keep reading it, and don't get it.

Jan 26, 21 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

I get the gist (I don't know how to pronounce that word) of it, and I like the gist of it. Not sure I fully understand it all, tho.

Jan 26, 21 7:50 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

WTF is a free range princess? And by "do" them, does she mean what I think she means? And how will that solve her architectural problem, exactly? The mind reels....

Jan 26, 21 10:46 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I have no idea but I dreamed about boobs last night because of this cartoon.

Jan 27, 21 8:41 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Proof that Americans aren't the only ones who are fucked up, or maybe the Dutch aren't saints after all?

Jan 26, 21 10:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

How many of them were in black face?

Jan 26, 21 10:19 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

There are many people fucked up here and for the record none of them were out in black face, that's not a thing here ;-) The rioters are mostly just bored opportunistic urban youth and football hooligans (the spelling errors in their whatsapp/telegram announcements are typical) wanting to blow off some steam, fight with the police and loot some shops in the process...the usual really. It's because we now have a curfew since last week and are forbidden outside between 21.00 until 04.30 unless we walk a dog or deliver food.

Jan 26, 21 12:09 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Can you be more clear as to what you mean by "urban youth"? Do the rural areas not have youth? What about "urban" youth makes them more likely to riot, in your view?

Jan 26, 21 1:44 pm  · 
1  · 

randomized, your response sounds similar to saying "oh, another troubled youth" after some teenager guns down a dozen people in a schoolyard. I am curious how many of these "football hooligans are also ultra-racist Dutch movement members? Is there any info on that?

With all due respect to you of course.

Jan 26, 21 2:27 pm  · 
1  ·  1
apscoradiales

European football hooligans are not your average politically left leaning people. Most have sympathies for Nazism, racism, hate, and shit-disturbing. Look at Lazio Ultras in Rome - bunch of thugs who think Mussolini was a great leader and all blacks (even black players on the their own team) should be shipped out of Italy - well, maybe at least sent to play for AC Roma. Every country in Europe has it's own football hooligans, and they're all racists. Netherlands is no different. Lead pipes and some teargas works well on them.

Jan 26, 21 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Okay, all at once: Rural youth is not that packed inside small boxes with nowhere to go, there’s more lebensraum out there and perhaps they all have dogs :) What’s been going on has happened primarily in our cities (with the exception of some small fishing village notorious for its youth “activism” and cocaine habit), there’s something about being collectively locked inside tiny apartments that sets people off I guess. Most of these rioters in the cities are children of migrants (most youth in our cities is), don’t think racism has anything to do with this, except maybe their racism towards white Dutch people (seeing which shops they target and which ones especially are left alone), but that’s just speculation. Our football hooligans are not necessarily or particularly racist, the ones from Amsterdam even identify as Jews (Amsterdam is also know as Mokum has/had a large Yiddish heritage/history) and you can see people from all backgrounds supporting them (white Dutch, Northern African and Turkish Muslims, Caribbean black, etc. side by side. They even fight as one together against hooligans from other cities and all they care about is the jersey. A famous hooligan that died in a fight between Rotterdam and Amsterdam hooligans in the late 90s (The Battle of Beverwijk) was black but so was the ring leader of the opposite team). Also our teams are completely mixed as are our streets and our national team.

Jan 26, 21 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

wow.

Jan 26, 21 4:09 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

any canadian hooligan youths in there rando?

Jan 26, 21 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

the infamous maple syrup dealers? yes plenty!

Jan 26, 21 4:17 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

good. happy to see representation up there.

Jan 26, 21 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

The problem with Dutch is that they still have the old most liberal society in the world image of themselves that we all welcomed until extremist politicians like Geert Wilders start to surface with significant societal support as in the case of most contemporary European countries.

Jan 26, 21 5:13 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

Wilders is not the cause but result or outcome of a rise of extremism in Europe though...

Jan 26, 21 5:52 pm  · 
 · 

Sure, he is an angel in disguise!

Jan 26, 21 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Not saying that...but he does stand up for gay rights, women’s rights, heck even animal rights, got to give him credit for that...

Jan 27, 21 2:18 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Hitler was vegetarian, got to give him props...

Jan 27, 21 5:22 am  · 
5  · 

he does stand up for gay rights, women’s rights, heck even animal rights...

As long as they are not Muslim or non-white immigrant, right?
Geert Wilder is a hate monger.

So I see your true colors... A racist politician sympathizer!

Jan 27, 21 7:18 am  · 
3  ·  1
randomised

Now you're jumping to conclusions, I'm just explaining Wilders, not voting for him...people that support him don't hate muslims (necessarily) they 've lost their way of life and want it back.

Jan 27, 21 9:15 am  · 
 · 

Just like the German Nazis and their leader blamed the Jews for the loss of their way of life. The Nazis in The Netherlands were party to that. Today is the Holocaust Day!
You are sliding into that territory with your posts.

Jan 27, 21 11:05 am  · 
3  · 
square.

it's quite amazing how rando has the ability to find loads of nuance when attempting to explain the actions of his own country...

Jan 27, 21 11:31 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It's funny how standing up for gay rights, for women's rights or animal rights puts one in the Nazi corner...while suppressing women, hating Jews, beating up gays and mistreating animals is regarded freedom of religion.

Jan 27, 21 11:50 am  · 
SneakyPete

what isn't funny, and never has been, is making sweeping statements about an entire country full of diverse people. Statements which are proven wrong just by reading what those diverse people are writing in THAT conversation. But you know, stupid is as stupid does.

Jan 27, 21 11:52 am  · 
3  · 
randomised

I don’t want to be dragged down into this kind of conversation yet again, what for...if people want to brand me a nazi(sympathiser) for not bowing for a women suppressing, gay hating antisemitic ideology and instead standing for universal human rights, that’s all on them. I don’t need that bullshit just as I don’t need riots in my town because of a lockdown and curfew in an attempt to control the spread of COVID.

Jan 27, 21 12:56 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

We know. All you need is a straw man to cuddle with and something you can pretend is BAD ON BOTH SIDES to keep you warm.

Jan 27, 21 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
square.

too late

Jan 27, 21 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Straw makes for a terrible cuddler.

Jan 27, 21 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Nah I’m good sneaky c.s. You guys have fun circle jerking, I’m going to cuddle my boys now! XOXO

Jan 27, 21 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You're just upset because the only people who seem to consistently find common cause with your blathering are the racists.

Jan 27, 21 1:28 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

“The problem with Dutch is that they still have the old most liberal society in the world image of themselves that we all welcomed until extremist [islamists] start to surface with significant societal support as in the case of most contemporary European countries.” There, I fixed it for you Orhan :-)

Jan 27, 21 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

So maybe not a racist, but definitely a bigot.

Jan 27, 21 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Tell me, what's wrong with opposing the extremist islamist ideology? Or to paraphrase dubya: If you're not against them, you're with them!

Jan 27, 21 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
square.

ya'll are killin it lately

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0...

Jan 27, 21 4:21 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

They stepped down so they can't be held accountable anymore, because they stepped down already, just in time to get reelected in March when the elections were anyhow scheduled. That's some really sneaky opportunistic political move right there.

Jan 27, 21 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You haven't earned the standing to be demanding anything. You're the one espousing views and you need to do the heavy lifting of justifying your views. I'm not doing your homework for you, especially when it's something we teach children: to not make sweeping generalizations to try and legitimize your fear and hate.

Jan 27, 21 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Jeez Louise! I'm not demanding anything here, please go on...

Jan 27, 21 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

randomised 

Tell me

randomised 

I'm not demanding

Jan 27, 21 5:25 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

you forgot the comma...anywho, it was just a simple question, not a demand. grasping at straws again I see, good luck with that.

Jan 27, 21 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

The little Dutch boy doth protest too much, methinks.

Jan 27, 21 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

Why are you so afraid of Muslim immigrants in Europe, didn't a couple of them developed a major vaccination for Covid?
There are extremist Muslims in Muslim countries too, even more so with armies and all.
As to the immigration subject, hey, this is the world’s reality since the 60’s, similar to migration to urban areas. The world's have-not majority will be immigrating, with papers or not, to the places where there's plenty to go around. This won't stop who they are. You need to work with them.
Why are you putting them into an extremist bundle? The Muslim communities are mostly delegated to bad industrial buildings, dissed, and treated like a terrorist bunch. Not that they are coming from places where they haven't built magnificent buildings for their spiritual practice. I got news for you, they aren't going anywhere.

Major shifts in migration patterns and demographics are underway, real and robust. These people are not the former slaves that were part of the western "way."
They are more "Future" than you. Get with it, be creative and respectful. Accept and move on to coexistence gear. If you can't, maybe your children can. Otherwise, your societal and individual problems and fears will only keep amplifying.
Instead of burning their mosques, show your humanism and art to them. Give them a chance to like you, laugh with you.
It's very urgent.
I'd stay away from politicians like Wilders, he and others like him want you to go to culture and urban warfare that there are no winners at the end and you have a lot more to lose. Open your eyes. Are kidding me? Isn't there a majority public supporting gay, women, animal, and others' rights already in? Tons of them, you included.
Of course, this scumbag wants their sympathy (pretty much like you, random) and sings to the chorus. But inside, he sees the ultimate warfare wiping out all Muslims from Holland. Are you this spider brain like? I don't think so, but you are scared shitless as you are resorting to demonizing Islam. It's very apparent in your posts. 

*I wrote this with minimal editing and maybe too long. The gist of it is: if anything our humanity will help us the most. Under the circumstances of our times, nationalism is baloney and don’t fall for it. This kind of evangelistic crusade against Islam is racist, dangerous, self-serving, and abusive.

Jan 27, 21 6:19 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

no all caps or bold?

Jan 27, 21 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

there's a way you too can do paragraphs.

Jan 27, 21 6:31 pm  · 
2  · 

hahaha. that reminds me, long time ago you had to know some scripting and stuff to post pictures on archinect. there was an etiquette not to reveal how it's done so people wouldn't crowd the bandwidth with junk.

Jan 27, 21 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Orhan, I think type of formatting still

exists. I've on occasion accidentally typed up formatting code with some odd 

comment results.

Jan 27, 21 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

Hmm, nice. I have to ask my people when I'd like to use the formatting. But if I use it, I'll use it in blog posts.

Jan 27, 21 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

I've typed things inside brackets as a way to emphasize something and had it disappear on me as it thinks I'm trying to code.

I didn't realize it actually was trying to recognize some code.

Jan 27, 21 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
wondering what code works and what doesn't
Jan 27, 21 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

This is

fun

Jan 27, 21 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

what about obsolete code

Jan 27, 21 8:33 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I was trying old school html marquee scrolling code.

did not work.

Jan 27, 21 8:40 pm  · 
1  · 

lol, I tried the obsolete "blink" code

Jan 27, 21 8:43 pm  · 
1  · 

I once asked the BGH if we could get some more formatting options for bloggers and got shut down.

The one thing I was really hoping to get was a pulled quote, or indent paragraph option so I could emphasize certain things without needing to rely on bold or italics

Speaking of which does underline work?

Jan 27, 21 8:47 pm  · 
 · 

I feel like I've unlocked a whole new world

Jan 27, 21 8:54 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

<p style="color:orange">

This Awesome.

</p>

Jan 27, 21 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

oh, not working anymore for me.  comment attempt redacted.

Jan 27, 21 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I love how we love to design...

•  even if it's only text.
Jan 27, 21 9:14 pm  · 
 · 

where are the dingbats we love?

Jan 27, 21 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

dingbats you say?  

☕

Jan 27, 21 10:41 pm  · 
1  · 

Unfortunately, // { I realized-I forgot all [/my] scripting skills.="amisorry"...>(?)< no/ }[bold]

Jan 27, 21 11:04 pm  · 
 · 

This Awesome.

Jan 27, 21 11:13 pm  · 
 · 

Jan 27, 21 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

<font size="6"
face="verdana"
color="green"> 
show off! 
</font> 

Jan 27, 21 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Do you have anything in a pinky mauve?

Jan 27, 21 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

damn it, my highschool web-building skills have failed me.

Jan 27, 21 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

show off!

Jan 28, 21 12:26 am  · 
 · 

just outdated

Jan 28, 21 12:26 am  · 
1  · 

show off!

Jan 28, 21 12:27 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

Somebody unplug EA. He's gone rogue!

Jan 28, 21 2:20 am  · 
3  · 
randomised

Orhan, I replied in Politics Central...

Jan 29, 21 9:39 am  · 
 · 
randomised

"no all caps or bold?"

this was meant for SneakyPete, glad it set off this entire thing about text edits etc.

Feb 1, 21 4:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: