Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

archiwutm8

Some absolute wanker of a client asked me to draw the mortar between brickwork, fuck off.

Aug 14, 20 10:40 am  · 
4  ·  1
midlander

was he a decrepit old university professor from chicago? if so, send him my regards

Aug 14, 20 11:20 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

Draw this, then add "thinking of you."

FM 7-90: Tactical Employment of Mortars - Chptr 7 Survivability ...

FM 7-90: Tactical Employment of Mortars - Chptr 7 Survivability ...

Aug 14, 20 12:45 pm  · 
2  · 

Not that hard to do with revit . . .

Aug 14, 20 2:22 pm  · 
1  · 

Not really the point IMO. Does that client go to the doctor and ask them to write their prescriptions in blue ink only?

Aug 14, 20 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I once drew the mortar in quite the complex brickwork project, just to prove to the contractor that their dimensions of window frames were way off. Was actually quite fun to do and it prevented a major fuck up...

Aug 14, 20 4:05 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

We draw the mortar joints when coursing matters.

Aug 14, 20 8:59 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Of course you do.

Aug 14, 20 9:41 pm  · 
1  · 

We do as well. Again - in Revit it's not difficult.

Aug 17, 20 10:53 am  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I have a client telling me what information to put on what sheets. I just went ahead and did it. I feel dirty though.

Aug 17, 20 11:42 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Cash the check and take a shower.

Aug 17, 20 12:17 pm  · 
1  · 

Our entire profession is a client telling us what information to put on what sheets - we're all whores. Get used to it.

Aug 17, 20 1:53 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I don't agree with that, but understand the sentiment. A good client will listen to the Architect but overrule when necessary. It's a nuanced distinction, but is the difference between this profession being satisfyingly collaborative and soul-suckingly demoralizing.

Aug 17, 20 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Client demands: better on the sheets than under them.

Aug 17, 20 2:47 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

That depends on the client, citizen.

Aug 17, 20 2:55 pm  · 
1  · 

Sneaky - a good client will listen to their architect however they still tell the architect what to do in terms of program, location, budget, schedule, and style. Sure some clients are flexible with these items however I think it's exceedingly rare to find a client that has no constraints or opinions on all of them.

Aug 17, 20 3:01 pm  · 
1  · 
archiwutm8

Just to clarify, it's as-built mortar between bricks not new. Whilst possible it would take WEEKS just to draw mortar accurately in a project with a pre-existing 1950's brick walls.

Aug 18, 20 9:38 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Wait, they want accurate mortar joints for record drawings of a preexisting building?

Nah, no, and nope.

From HABS (https://www.nps.gov/hdp/standards/habsguidelines.htm):

For sketches:

"If brick coursing is consistent and regularly-spaced, it is not necessary to measure every course. Courses which tie into significant features of the elevation (such as window heads and sills) are located vertically, and the intervening courses counted
and divided equally when drawn. A similar technique may be used with regularly spaced horizontal wood siding."

For CAD Drawings:

"For brick buildings, horizontal brick joints are drawn across the entire elevation. A vignette of vertical joints, which have been measured, should also be drawn, typically in reference to one of the building corners. Do not use standard CAD brick hatch
patterns, as they do not typically represent actual conditions.
4.6.2 Individual bricks are drawn in round, jack, and flat arches."

Aug 18, 20 11:53 am  · 
1  · 

For an existing building that's not reasonable to show accurate brick coursing. For new construction it's rather easy to show single line coursing on elevations. Showing mortar thickness on wall sections and details can become a bit more challenging however with Revit and repeating detail components it's not difficult. In some masonry details it's a really good idea to show them.

Aug 18, 20 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Pete's "Cash the check and take a shower" is going onto my letterhead and email signature. And a t-shirt. 

An all-purpose sentiment if ever there was one.

Aug 18, 20 3:30 pm  · 
2  · 

Thought that said 'Cash the check in the shower' for a second. I either need more or less caffeine. :s

Aug 18, 20 3:42 pm  · 
1  · 
archiwutm8

If it was new I wouldn't be complaint,
easily done in AutoCAD or Revit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 18, 20 4:25 pm  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

My office Orchid has grown its second stem this year and started flowering again. Never had more than one bloom per year before!

Aug 14, 20 10:54 am  · 
7  · 

So just a little local update. My son's public school system is starting today, all online for the foreseeable future. They've done IMO a good job trying to keep everyone informed of how it's going to go, they've handed out Chromebooks to kids who need them, etc. Nonetheless, I'm hearing from lots of my upper-middle-class mom friends that with two or more kids online at once they're having to turn off Alexa, Ring, Nest...every damn thing in the house that's wired just to *try* to get sufficient internet for the kids to stay connected. And these are upper middle class homes. I despair for the lower income kids who are trying to deal with this right now. 

I seriously wish we hadn't squandered the last 6 months in this country. We should have shut EVERYTHING down March-May and just paid everyone to stay home. Heaven knows we can afford it, as a country and society. WTF.

Aug 17, 20 10:05 am  · 
5  · 
archanonymous

You can extend this criticism to so many aspects of our society. Like, why don't we have public high-speed broadband internet regulated like a utility? Oh because that is big-government overreach that somehow strips us of our "freedom" to pay inflated prices to monopolistic corporations for poor service. In the end it leaves everyone poorer - all these little ways that we keep people from realizing their potential.

Aug 17, 20 10:25 am  · 
5  · 
Non Sequitur

Return to school is in 3 weeks for us and both in-class and online options are available. Details are still being debated tho, but we're sending our little one to class. New cases are very low at this time and my wife needs to get back to work since she's in the school board with the special needs kids. I can't imagine how the learning will be maintained in the low/er income households that either can't afford the connection or multiple devices or have dedicated learning space, or all 3.

Aug 17, 20 11:03 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

We starve the public coffers and feed the for-profit capitalist machine as if life is a zero sum game.

Aug 17, 20 12:17 pm  · 
4  · 
curtkram

wow non, i'm just trying to wrap my head around that one. so you can either go to class or stay home. people with means can stay safe at home, while people with less desirable broadband will have to face potentially crowded hallways. it's like we inherited a virus design to attack old people and managed to turn it into something that attacks disenfranchised people. no negativity to you or your country, just that somehow your post got me to see it different. i'm going to go start some conspiracy theories now.

Aug 17, 20 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Curt, for the record, I am in favour of a return to class but it’s important to note that new cases are very low (less than 100 new cases in a province of 14mil today). Although I could easily manage to stay home (or my wife) for a few months, not everyone is in the same financial comfort zone so many need schools/daycares open to restart their income. Certainly helps that we took this shit seriously back in March. 8-). The lower income part does bother me tho since many are not even aware of the all the services available (part of my wife’s job is to pass that info on).

Aug 17, 20 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

They just shut down a favorite restaurant and watering hole across the street. No Social Distancing going on. I saw a cop car sitting in front the the place during the middle of the week during the middle of the afternoon. He was most likely giving the owner a friendly warning.....but come Friday night the place was hopping and one of their staff tested positive for covid-19. Place is locked up tighter than Fort Knox.

Aug 23, 20 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Jaetten

Any Swedish speakers on this forum? Looking for some help translating for CV and LinkedIn profile and a few other work related bits!

Will make a thread for it later, but just a query!

Aug 18, 20 7:55 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

You're in luck because we have our own in-house sweedish building designer. Reach out to the one and only RickyB and he'll guide you through. If he can legally (pretend to offer) design (exempt) building services in sweeden, anyone can!

Aug 18, 20 8:26 am  · 
2  · 
Jaetten

Thanks Non, will do!

Aug 18, 20 8:35 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

^please don't

Aug 18, 20 8:38 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

Why bother, just keep it in English, they will be able to read it just fine ;)

Aug 18, 20 8:47 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My grandparents spoke sweedish. I have a good accent and know a couple of phrases, mostly about coffee. Taksamecka.

Aug 18, 20 8:55 am  · 
 · 

Bork!

Pin on FatChick2FitChick Recipes

Aug 18, 20 11:36 am  · 
 · 

No, but I did watch Mamma Mia last night.

Aug 18, 20 5:45 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

All I know is "fika" because I always go for a second cup!

Aug 18, 20 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

my work outfits are now pants with elastic wastes and T shirts. I will put on a nicer shirt for client meetings, but they’re usually wearing T shirts so...

I am going to have a hard time going back to regular work clothes when this is over. 

Aug 18, 20 6:51 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I miss my work clothes.

Aug 18, 20 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I bought a bunch of nice flamboyant collared dress shirts just short of the shut down and now they don’t fit anymore. Gotta work back into those fitted shirts.

Aug 18, 20 7:05 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

I don't even remember the last time I wore anything but jeans and a tee shirt. For a little variety I switch between work boots and sneakers.

Aug 18, 20 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Have traded in my jeans and t-shirt for the summer for work pants, gloves and steel toe boots...no complaints so far!

Aug 19, 20 6:35 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We hit a few weeks left of golf short appropriate weather then a very short sports coat season, then winter and snow.

Aug 19, 20 7:29 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

*short-sleeve

Aug 19, 20 7:29 am  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

I now only wear socks when I go for a run.

Aug 19, 20 9:12 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

NS - i went the other way and am now pulling old clothes out of the back, back closet from 6-7 years ago because my recent purchases are all too big. I had a strange sense of style then, but hey, they still work. (skinny teal or pink chinos and brightly patterned button-downs)

Pretty much the only thing I changed was doing 40 pushups everyday, which is also a necessity for relieving the massive tension my job causes.

Aug 19, 20 9:55 am  · 
2  · 
Jaetten

Yup, my pale pink and blue patterned shirts and my slim white shirts no longer fit. Bit chunky round the midriff now... Gotta hit Jim! See what I did there!? Not really funny was it... Poor dad joke!

Aug 19, 20 10:13 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Lost over 16kg/35pounds since Covid started, combination of fasting and physical labour, and had to order some new pants myself, luckily some old and still decent shirts fit again making me feel 5 yrs younger.

Aug 19, 20 10:14 am  · 
4  · 
archiwutm8

16kg is a hell of a lot of weight, congrats.

Aug 19, 20 11:02 am  · 
 · 

I'm down weight as well. Not eating out at restaurants for lunch 2-4 times a week has mostly done it for me ... and a little more exercise for sanity and stress relief. 10-15 lbs so far (depending on the day). My regular office clothes might actually fit better now. I had a few pairs of slacks and a couple shirts that were getting a little tight pre-COVID that should be great now. But since I'm not wearing them, who knows. Shorts and t-shirts most days for me.

Aug 19, 20 2:59 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Thanks, I tried getting taller to fix my BMI, but that didn’t work...have to accept the fact that I am only as tall as Michael Jordan and now also weigh as much as him when he was playing.

Aug 19, 20 3:11 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Congratulations, rando. A wise man once said; "If you haven't got your health you haven't got anything."

Aug 19, 20 3:18 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

i'm also more svelte...down almost 20# since Feb...not quite as tall as MJ, but up there

Aug 19, 20 4:28 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

What's with all the pants-wearing? ;O]

Aug 19, 20 4:32 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

My partner wears the pants around here. (SP says, surprising exactly nobody)

Aug 19, 20 4:54 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

I've been at the office since may 15, haven't used long pants or long sleeve shirts yet, and no socks!

Aug 19, 20 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

I lost 12 pounds in the first couple months working at home but a few snuck back over the summer. My office was very casual already so my work clothes are the same at home, except here I rarely put on shoes and can wear the same pants everyday and not worry that anyone will notice repetition. Or dirt.

Aug 20, 20 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Anybody else got painful feet from not wearing shoes, heard some coworker got a foot problem from walking barefoot at home all day everyday...I thought not wearing shoes was actually much better, now I’m confused.

Aug 20, 20 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

All I know is Bayern is the shit!

Aug 19, 20 5:13 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

boy, is hot up here! and getting a lot of smoke from grizzly creek fire.

Grizzly Creek Fire in western Colorado doubles in size overnight

Aug 19, 20 5:24 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Holy moly! Be careful up there!

Aug 19, 20 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

That's a terrifying and awesome photo.

Aug 19, 20 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

Pfft, the Grizzly Creek Fire is nothing.  

Pine Gulch Fire grows to 87,778 acres; now third-largest wildfire ...

Pine Gulch Fire Near Grand Junction Continues To Spread | Colorado ...

It's hot and smoky her in the Grand Valley (104 F, raining ash) from the Pine Gulch fire. 125,108 acres, less than 7% contained.. The fire is so big it can't be contained any further or put out until a sufficient amount of rain or snow fall.  Basically we will have to wait another 1-2 months for it to be extinguished.  

Aug 19, 20 6:04 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

well yes, it's bigger, but having I-70 closed for more than a week it's been very disrupting, thanks to the firefighters that are stopping it from getting close to inhabited places.

Aug 19, 20 6:17 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

This looks a lot like what they warned us about back in grade school if we didn't start taking care of the planet.

Aug 19, 20 6:29 pm  · 
2  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Trump has a plan for that; Melanoma is going to pee all over it.

Aug 19, 20 6:33 pm  · 
 · 

JLC-1 - The people around No Name Canyon that have been evacuated and the firefighters . . . those people have legitimate concerns. For the rest of us having I-70 closed is just an inconvenience.

Oh and by the way - a 125,000 acre fire that destroys vegetation that prevents erosion in the high desert that is part of the biggest watershed in the state is going have a much higher impact than the closure and rerouting of traffic around I-70.    

Aug 19, 20 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Think the Mayans were off by a year or eight...what else 2020 will have in store?

Aug 20, 20 3:16 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I thought it was going to rain yesterday and then it didn't.

Aug 20, 20 10:37 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

not interested in the pissing match. one annoying and unforeseen consequence of these fires is the paranoia that took hold of our fire departments, now we have to provide 1 hr rated assemblies on all exterior surfaces, that's on top of required sprinkler system for all residential work.

It rained all of 3 minutes last evening over here.

Aug 20, 20 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm supposed to go to Montrose sometime in the next few weeks. Not sure that can happen.

Aug 20, 20 11:50 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Seems like it would be much better to concentrate development in already-developed areas instead of pushing even further into the forests, but colorado mountain towns have an almost pathological aversion to multifamily development and density.

Aug 20, 20 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

the south detour must be pretty packed, but the canyon will stay dangerous for months after the fire goes away, have you seen pictures of rocks falling?

Grizzly Creek fire: Flames burn through Glenwood Canyon ...

Aug 20, 20 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

tintt - you can still get to Montrose from Denver. It will just take 2 hours longer.

Aug 20, 20 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

JLC-1 - ah wealthy mountain resort towns. You're going to get the affluent wanting special treatment to protect their properties regardless of the cost and the impacts to the average person.

Aug 20, 20 12:16 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

It's north of Montrose that I need to go, yeah I can just take 7 hours to do it. I should probably look at a map... Happy Pandemic Wildfire Days.

Aug 20, 20 12:45 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

7 hours two ways can't be done in a day very easily. I'll take my private jet.

Aug 20, 20 12:53 pm  · 
1  · 

JCL-1 - A gemologist friend of mine suspects that the fire will make the potential for rock fall in Glenwood Canyon higher through summer 2021.

Aug 20, 20 1:11 pm  · 
1  · 
mightyaa

And don't forget about the flash floods after as well....

Aug 20, 20 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

last winter I drove through the canyon at 10 mph, it was an ice sheet end to end - and this march I had to wait 2 hours in dotsero because a minor rock fall, I can only imagine how scary it will be the next couple of years. There's a former councilman in this town that lost his wife and 2 kids to a rock fall some 10 years ago. Not for the faint of heart, I drive it like a demon was following me, and so do the state patrols. To your comment about the affluent, right now it's a shit show up here, people buying houses unseen, wanting to add "maids quarters" and gyms to already maxed out far. and everything for tomorrow, there's no more contractors to call. least concern is their safety.

Aug 20, 20 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

That's why I don't live in the mountain resort areas. I've had plenty of firms offer me positions in that area but I couldn't stand the culture and attitude of the affluent that run things.

I've never been worried driving through Glenwood Canyon other than the dumbass drivers.  I only go through that area once every few months to climbing in NoName Canyon though so no real need.  Also I don't downhill ski so . . . 

Aug 20, 20 2:09 pm  · 
1  · 
liberty bell

I rode my bike to work today. Seven miles.

Aug 20, 20 10:08 am  · 
7  · 
archanonymous

huzzah!

Aug 20, 20 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Fivescore

I walked to work this morning. Eleven feet as the crow flies (if the crow could fly through walls), but about 18 feet on foot.

Aug 20, 20 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I just walked 800m to my favorite florist.

Aug 20, 20 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

did some pushups. been doing 20 mile backpack trips every few weekends. being stuck at home made me look harder in the mirror.

Aug 20, 20 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

Was biking to work 7 miles round trip - 4x week. The Pine Gulch fire stopped that this week. Mountain biking (5-9 miles) and paddling (10-12 miles) on the weekends. Just started a month long climbing training program on Monday.

Aug 20, 20 2:12 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Mountaineering or rock climbing? Or roller skate fittings for the flatirons?

Aug 20, 20 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

I don't do mountaineering but yes, rock climbing. Nothing too hard, I top out in the 5.10b range for trad. Never been climbing on the front range. Farthest east I've done is NoName Canyon.

Aug 20, 20 2:23 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Hahahahaha. I max out at 10b sport these days, I thrive on 5.7 trad. Lots of that in CA but unfortunately it's all 3-4 hours away, makes for a long trip.

Aug 20, 20 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

I've got 300 routes within 45 minutes of my front door. I prefer easy trad though. Right before the pandemic I did Otto's Route in the National Monument here in town. The last 6 feet was a mid 10 and wow did it kick the snot out of me.

Topo says it's only a 5.8.  It's not.  

https://www.codepublishing.com/CO/GrandJunction/?html2/GrandJunction21/GrandJunction21.html

Aug 20, 20 2:54 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

It's old enough (older, for sure. 1911!) for the 5.8 to only make sense when you accept that there is no 5.10. Climbing grades are an excellent example of set standards that don't allow for adjustment for the future.

I think your copy paste failed in a funny way. :)

Aug 20, 20 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

Ha! That's hilarious! When Otto did the FA he pounded fence posts into the soft wingate sandstone. Still brave on his part.

Aug 20, 20 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Every time I go up the cable route on half dome I think of the insane people who climbed it before technical gear was technical.

Is the YDS the Imperial to the French System's Metric?

Aug 20, 20 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
square.

^ wrong post

Aug 20, 20 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Pete, I went up that cable route against the recommendation of the ranger at the base of the dome. Was about 10-11am or so and it had been raining all morning. Only one other person had been up that day and it was some local who, according to him, goes every morning. Great place but the ill-prepared tourists are the worst.

Aug 20, 20 4:10 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Totally. It's why I only go when the cables are down. Still need to do Snake Hike.

Aug 20, 20 4:24 pm  · 
1  · 

Never been to Yosemite.

Aug 20, 20 5:56 pm  · 
SneakyPete

If you ever make it down this way let me know and I can show you around if you like.

Aug 20, 20 6:06 pm  · 
1  · 

That would be fun! I'll wait until the zombie apocalypse is over though. :)

Aug 20, 20 6:38 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Absolutely. The quota system in Yosemite for campsites in a normal year is ridiculous, and the entry quotas make it completely unworthy. If you want to climb Sierra granite, Tahoe's a better bet.

Aug 20, 20 8:35 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Wait, no, don't go to Tahoe, they're fed up with people trying to visit during Covid.

Aug 20, 20 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Pete, I remember working my way through the overnight camping lottery... like 6/7 years ago. I got one out of the 3 I applied for and it was for a overnight camping on top of El Cap. they only give overnight passes to less than 10 per day and I snagged half of them for our group. Good times.

Aug 20, 20 8:52 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

You go in from Tuolomne or up from the floor?

Aug 20, 20 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

Going from CAD to revit is like going from a bare-bones automatic car to a Futuristic electric car that also flies, makes waffles, and does your laundry - but you also have to physically remove and reattach the doors and seats in order to get into it, it doesn’t turn left for some reason, and your passengers can also drive while you are driving. Sure, it’s great that it does all those things but most of the time I just need to go to the store to pick up some milk. 

Aug 21, 20 11:00 am  · 
4  · 

You're not smart enough to drive any type of car axo. Stick to riding your bike.

Aug 21, 20 11:03 am  · 
axonapoplectic

Why do you feel it necessary to attack my intelligence when I’m trying to make a funny about how revit is cumbersome to use? Are you insecure about your skills as an architect?

Aug 21, 20 11:52 am  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

Chad, you are often a real dick.

Aug 21, 20 12:20 pm  · 
1  · 

Awe - you got upset because you couldn't take a joke about not being smart enough to use Revit.

Seriously though - I know it was a joke axo - I was poking fun of you and meant no insult.  It clearly hit too close to home and I'm sorry that you took it personally.

AA - you're one to talk.  

Aug 21, 20 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

No, it’s because you suck Chad. Seriously, no one wants more asses on this forum. Don’t be one.

Aug 21, 20 1:09 pm  · 
1  · 

You're just pissed because you're not eating enough.

Aug 21, 20 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

You guys are all being dickish but it's ok because everyone is undergoing trauma right now. Things will get better, really. 

Except that REVIT will never stop being a huge pain in the ass.

Aug 21, 20 2:48 pm  · 
6  · 

Revit is only a moderate hemorrhoid once you learn how to use it.

Aug 24, 20 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

I may be a little slow, but a month or so ago, six months into WFH, I suddenly had a moment of clarity in which I realized that, A) this shit is going to go on for a long time, and B) if I was working remotely, I could work REMOTELY. So since then, my wife and I have been wandering around to different places, working where we can find decent internet bandwidth, and having a great time. I haven't been home overnight in four weeks, and it's wonderful. I'm actually thinking about selling the house (not too seriously, but still).

Anybody else become a digital nomad in the era of shutdowns and germophobia? Share your experiences.

Aug 21, 20 2:56 pm  · 
2  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I was having a conversation related to this last weekend. The final hurdle for professionals, and because we're architects, I'm thinking mostly about us, is when we get rid of this tired idea of having to live in NYC, LA, Chicago, etc...to actually work for a firm. Aside from perhaps more travel, why can't we work real remote like, and still be productive?

Aug 21, 20 3:20 pm  · 
1  · 
kjdt

I haven't been traveling much, because of so many covid-related restrictions, quarantines, and closures. Also I like being at home and haven't grown tired of it yet. I feel there's a good chance I'm never going back to the office, at least not full time. My very small house is proving a little small to be my full time base of operations, and if I don't have to stay within daily commuting distance then I can look at more house in farther flung places.  Some properties I've been looking at online push the boundaries of practical - like just because I can apparently afford a 3-story 7-bedroom Victorian in a tiny town virtually in Canada doesn't necessarily mean I probably should... but I want to.

Aug 21, 20 3:31 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Not exactly, but I have been looking at real estate in more affordable places (I am in the Los Angeles area)

Aug 21, 20 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I've been having the same thoughts. Running two businesses, two classrooms, and now a housemate out of our tiny house in the city has me looking at small towns with big houses to move to.

Aug 21, 20 3:36 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

rent a van & do #vanlife for a week or so...it will either make a ton of sense or you will realize why fixed structures exist

Aug 21, 20 3:53 pm  · 
1  · 

I'm torn about the 'digital nomad' or 'work from somewhere other than home,' thing. On the one hand, I think it would be great to be able to do that and this pandemic presents a situation where it can finally be possible for many people if they wanted to do such a thing due to the expectation of working remotely. On the other hand, I think it probably isn't appropriate in many circumstances ... and the appropriateness of it depends on many things. 

The point of having everything shut down and working from home is to keep people at home and not spreading the virus. Traveling to different places away from home can defeat this purpose ... though not in all cases and there are things that can probably be done to mitigate risk. 

Now, I don't know your situation gwharton so I'm not passing judgement, but I do get concerned when I see my friends, for example, traveling to see their extended families in different states multiple times these past few months. I'm also very conscientious to not pass judgment on my friends too. I would feel better about it if someone is staying at their destination for an extended period of time. For example, longer than two weeks where you can self-isolate in case you caught anything during the traveling, and then being able to self-isolate for another two weeks upon returning home. Best approach would also have self-isolation for two weeks prior to traveling away from home as well. 

There are other aspects to it as well like not potentially exposing essential workers for services while traveling (gas stations, grocery stores, etc.). I also know this is more of an extreme view, but it frustrates me to see non-essential travel right now. 

Again, I'll reiterate that this should by no means be taken as judgement against gwharton ... I don't know his situation (nor do I think he needs to justify it). I'm just throwing this (probably unpopular) opinion out there in hopes it might make someone think about whether it would be appropriate in their situation.

Aug 21, 20 4:02 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Either thinking of moving to a different, more affordable, big city or as remotely and isolated as possible within our budget. No small towns or suburbs, hate those, no decent facilities nor proper anonymity, worst of both worlds...

Aug 21, 20 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

We passed the point where shutdowns were really having any effect on viral transmission back in May/June sometime, and there isn't actually a whole lot of evidence they did much against it past the initial month or so back in Feb/Mar anyway. We are well on the way to herd immunity now, if not actually there already. Hospitalizations and deaths are way, way down over the past three months. Since then, the "shutdown" is mostly just theater. Also, there are plenty of ways to be a digital nomad without putting yourself in the middle of a crowd of contagious people. For instance, cruising around in an RV or boat. Or staying in a cabin somewhere nice. Many hotels have great accommodations which don't entail much risk and are desperate for customers. Visit with family (I've been at my parents' place for a week now, helping look after my dad).

Aug 21, 20 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

gwharton, I'd agree with everything you said after the word theater ... which is why I'm not trying to pass any judgement but rather point out that it could be done well, or poorly, in terms of the pandemic. 

For everything before that, I'd say, "it depends."

Aug 21, 20 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Herd immunity, also known as "Who cares if millions fucking die as long as the economy remains firmly in capitalist vulture control."

Aug 21, 20 5:32 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Now Showing: "Money, we fucking made it up and now it's more important than HUMAN LIVES."

Aug 21, 20 5:34 pm  · 
1  · 
kjdt

Herd immunity needs at lest 70% of the population to have antibodies. The state with the highest case rate (as a % of population) has reported cases in about 3.5% of its population. The state with the lowest case rate has reported cases in about one fifth of one percent of its population. I do understand that the # of people with antibodies is probably far higher than cases recorded, due to asymptomatic transmission and unreported/untested/misdiagnosed cases, but we'd have to believe that it's underrecorded by over 20 times (for Louisiana) to over 350 times (for Vermont) to assume that we've achieved herd immunity in those places. That's a big stretch - but maybe if we had reliable and widespread antibody testing it would turn out to be true, who knows?

Aug 21, 20 6:03 pm  · 
1  · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Don't you worry all your Greenies! Donald Trump is going to call out the Pillow Brigade. They are akin to the Rake Masters of California.

Aug 23, 20 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I just ordered a margarita. Happy Friday!!!

Aug 21, 20 3:37 pm  · 
6  · 
proto

i've got two avocados that will be guac by 5p

Aug 21, 20 3:51 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

just had my second ice cream of the day, had homemade pizza for dinner and the kids are already sleeping for over an hour, that’s what I call a proper holiday...and tomorrow to the beach!

Aug 21, 20 4:06 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

Just had my 4th or 5th craft beer of the evening while watching playoff hockey outside.

Aug 22, 20 12:39 am  · 
1  · 

How are you watching hockey outside in this heat? ;)

Aug 24, 20 12:08 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

^Beer helps... and it was the vancouver game, so 10:30pm start in my zone. Temp was humid but under 30C by that time.

Aug 24, 20 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

We just watched 1917. Gorgeous. Brilliant filmmaking. But my overriding emotion afterwards is that war is stupid, stupid, STUPID. And it’s because of men. It’s men, it’s men, it’s men, it’s men, it’s men, it’s men who make the world suck. Let women run things for two generations and we’d actually have a world that works for everyone.

Aug 21, 20 10:45 pm  · 
3  ·  1
SneakyPete

Certainly would be beneficial to try. What do we have to lose?

Aug 21, 20 11:16 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Boobs do make everything better. You might be onto something here Donna.

Aug 22, 20 12:38 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Men make the world suck because of women though...

Aug 22, 20 2:55 am  · 
 · 
randomised

^[Devil’s Advocate]

Aug 22, 20 2:56 am  · 
 · 
midlander

history doesn't provide many examples, but few of them support the notion women are immune to the seduction of violence once they have power. though in fairness the examples below are mostly seen as above average as leaders, and a few exceptionally good for the expansion of their countries (through force of course):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_the_Great

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Dowager_Cixi

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_I

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary,_Queen_of_Scots

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_de%27_Medici

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Zetian

Aug 22, 20 5:15 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

to be clear i absolutely support the right of women to participate in accumulating power and running political bodies. i expect as humans they will perform similar to men overall.

Aug 22, 20 5:17 am  · 
1  · 
liberty bell

Exactly, Non. A penis sparks creation (falling asleep immediately after) but boobs sustain life. A sustainable loving world needs women.

Aug 22, 20 7:54 am  · 
1  · 
liberty bell

midlander, those are all individual women operating in an ocean of powerful men. I’m talking about letting women redefine what “power” means to be the power to include everyone, to care for everyone, and celebrate our ability to do important work that benefits the society, not just the individual. (Think elementary school teacher.)

Aug 22, 20 8:04 am  · 
 · 
midlander

LB, this would be a fun discussion in person over coffee in the future (cross fingers and hope!) i'm too lazy to type out a cogent response now, but you make an interesting thought question about something which seems impossible to implement.

Aug 22, 20 9:16 am  · 
1  · 
curtkram

helen had a face that launched a thousand ships. sure it was pretty much all men fighting, but without women, what would we be fighting for ?

Aug 22, 20 9:30 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

To clarify, it’s not really “men”, it’s patriarchy. If feminism ran the world, meaning men, women, and any/everyone who identifies as feminist, the world would be a better place.

Aug 22, 20 10:48 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

it's in reaching agreement about who will run the world that the guns would need to come out

Aug 22, 20 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My friend who grew up on the reservation said that in native culture, when a society is hurt it is time to put the mothers and grandmothers in charge. We need healers.

Aug 22, 20 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

What an incredibly sexist comment. But I can generalize too. If women

Aug 22, 20 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

archi-dude you're saying 2,000+ years of male leadership *didn't* get us a world full of war and power struggles and pain and worship of dominance? I'd like to hear how you see that as being untrue?

Aug 22, 20 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

imperialist white supremacist capitalist patriarchy

"bell hooks: We can’t begin to understand the nature of domination if we don’t understand how these systems connect with one another. Significantly, this phrase has always moved me because it doesn’t value one system over another. For so many years in the feminist movement, women were saying that gender is the only aspect of identity that really matters, that domination only came into the world because of rape. Then we had so many race-oriented folks who were saying, “Race is the most important thing. We don’t even need to be talking about class or gender.” So for me, that phrase always reminds me of a global context, of the context of class, of empire, of capitalism, of racism and of patriarchy. Those things are all linked — an interlocking system."

Aug 22, 20 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

I guess if you look at the Roman empire with blinders and only see conquest and ignore democracy, architecture, art ect. Sure you are right history has only been war made by evil evil men. However that's a pretty narrow ignorant lense to look at history and look past the adventurism, exploration, heroism, discovery that came through all ages of human progress. However, sure let's just sit around and have kumbaya and never make any other achievements again as a species because inevitably when someone achieves greatness there are those that dont. Cant have that must be all equal and fair and sterile and safe.

Aug 22, 20 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

archi_dude, did somebody raise you? Care for you? Put away their needs for yours? Or did you pop out of the womb hunting squirrel and cooking it over a spit fire. I bet somebody bottle fed you before you remember. I bet somebody took care of you when you were sick or down and out at least once in your life. Have you ever seen the tide ebb and flow?

Aug 22, 20 1:22 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

isn't that the foundation myth of rome? romulus and remus suckling on a wolf because they were orphaned? and then one killed the other. it was probably true.

Aug 22, 20 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

All those sexist male pigs that make up the patriarchy were raised by women, their mothers, their nannies, their daycare teachers and primary school teachers, all those horrible men were mostly surrounded by women in their formative years...that’s what screwed them up! You can see now, when finally after all those years men are able to play a more prominent part in the upbringing of boys that the patriarchy is coming to an end...so it’s because of men and not women that the patriarchy will end. A thank you should be in place to all men that stepped up to fix what women have been braking for generations since like ever! If we would leave things as they were and have women bring up boys, things would never change...that’s what got us in this mess in the first place!

Aug 22, 20 2:51 pm  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Men taking on nurturing roles... how progressive of you, rando. love it.

Aug 22, 20 3:02 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

It's called co-parenting. Like adults.

Aug 22, 20 5:36 pm  · 
1  · 

How screwed up is society we that we have to create a label like "co-parenting" rather than just call it "parenting" and have the expectations that Dad is included in that? 

Like when my guy friends tell me they have to babysit the kids. I say ... No, you get to parent your kids. You babysit other people's kids (and you can take mine if you want to for the night), but you parent your own kids.

I'll add for Rando's sake. Fathers don't deserve thanks for parenting their own kids. Their mothers, and grandmothers, and aunts, and teachers, etc. deserve an apology for not doing it sooner.

Aug 22, 20 6:25 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

wait, so rando you think the reason men were shit parents it's because they weren't given a chance?

Aug 22, 20 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Well historically the dads were toiling in the farm fields and working with the kids as well. Then you have the Victorian age up to the 60's where this mentality continued with fathers in offices with mothers at home. So there was a diferent expectation per gender roles. It helps to put things in historical context. Viewing things with the same lens as today's standards will always give you a distorted look on things. So yes Dads who still think they are babysitting their own kids are pretty laughable, however I wouldnt really say wow took them 2000 years.

Aug 22, 20 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

archi-dude, I think that's a fundamental flaw with conservatism, that things should be the way they always were, not responsive to the way things should be going.

Aug 22, 20 9:22 pm  · 
3  · 
archi_dude

Hmm that's actually a
really interesting point.

Aug 22, 20 10:44 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

“wait, so rando you think the reason men were shit parents it's because they weren't given a chance?”

No Pete, I think men were/are shit and the patriarchy etc. exists because men are/were parented and raised mostly by women...
Stalin was raised by his mother, Fred Trump was always working and just look at the men in jails today, often raised only by their mothers, so you can see directly how women spoil it for boys and subsequently doom this planet. Luckily more and more men don’t let women get away with this damaging behaviour any longer and so the patriarchy will have to end, whether the women like it or not the days of the patriarchy are numbered, thanks to men!

Aug 23, 20 4:52 am  · 
 · 
randomised

“Fathers don't deserve thanks for parenting their own kids. Their mothers, and grandmothers, and aunts, and teachers, etc. deserve an apology for not doing it sooner.”

EA, actually men deserve an apology from women for screwing up men for all this time. Women try to take credit for male achievements saying behind every successful man stands a strong woman, but it’s actually behind every screw up, behind every sexist pig, behind every unsuccessful man stand loads of women...but that angle is never talked about, and that only proves that it is women that do the screwing up and it is when men are actually present and involved that decent men are being raised.

Aug 23, 20 7:26 am  · 
archi_dude

Interesting point rando. You could probably use prohibition leading to the birth of organized crime as a perfect example.

Aug 23, 20 8:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Men don’t deserve shit Rando.

Aug 23, 20 9:07 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

rando, do you think you're a victim here?

Aug 23, 20 10:24 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

bizarro

Aug 23, 20 1:03 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

No curt, I’m not, it is just a societal observation of how the world got to this point, generation after generation of men raised primarily by women...that’s the problem, and the weird thing is that men are being blamed for how they were raised and brought up as boys by mostly women as if they had any say in it...

Aug 23, 20 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Why not Non? I think men deserve an apology from women for how they were raised and turned into the assholes that they are, it is easy to blame it on “the patriarchy” but we all know supporting every patriarchy is an entire system of female facilitators, instigators and intrigants...

Aug 23, 20 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I feel like too many people have never read The Lorax.

Aug 23, 20 1:49 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

The fallacy is in the idea that the "women" are doing the raising. The impacts of patriarchy are ever present even if women are primary care-givers, and men are tangentially connected, and not co-equal partners. Even if women are the primary, the fathers are often the disciplinarians, and the models for misogyny, racism and homophobia. None of that would be attributed to women. And, because America is decidedly managed by systems of oppression, ruled most of the time at levels that are unacceptable in most developed nations; white supremacist, capitalist, patriarchal, is it any mistake that men are at the center of all of that? 

I'll go on to note that the most feminist president we've had in the States was completely raised by a woman, and the father was never present.

I don't care how much child management has been done by women, men by and large undermine those efforts at every turn.

Aug 23, 20 1:59 pm  · 
1  · 
liberty bell

This:

Aug 23, 20 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

“ I don't care how much child management has been done by women, men by and large undermine those efforts at every turn.”

Men undermine those efforts because that’s how they were raised mostly by women! Nature vs nurture. It is so obvious because the moment men step up and take proper part in the upbringing of their boys the apparent toxic influence of women is suddenly neutralised and the patriarchy dismantled!

Aug 23, 20 4:32 pm  · 
randomised

“I'll go on to note that the most feminist president we've had in the States was completely raised by a woman, and the father was never present.”

Such a feminist that he forced his dual Ivy League educated wife to be a stay at home mom! Ah well, in the land of the blind...don’t do as I do etc. LOL!

Aug 23, 20 5:23 pm  · 
Oops my picture didn't post.

Aug 23, 20 6:36 pm  · 
2  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

He "forced" his wife? Really? You sure about that? I don't see Michelle Obama being forced to do anything, but...you can only see what you want.

Aug 23, 20 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

So rando, you'd be totally fine with your "logic" (as it were) of obfuscated and misplaced blame being used on other systems, right? You're totally convinced your thinking is infallible and you honestly believe you have a valid point and you're not just trolling at beginner level?

Aug 23, 20 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

I feel like this sexist point that everything bad in the world is the cause of men (ignoring that there are indeed good things as well). If women were in charge everything would be peaceful and symbiotic is a bit fanciful. For example in this amazing society, what are you going to do to make sure that no one decides to get ahead or achieve greatness on an individual level. It needs to be enFORCED that no one steps out of line with the new 1984 philosophy. So there you go, violence in this supposed perfect society. Sounds like a human problem not a sex problem.

Aug 23, 20 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You spent a lot of straw on that man just to burn it.

Aug 24, 20 12:24 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

But Donna all those people (men probably, no?) with their weird superiority complex scorching the earth were raised primarily by women until this day and age...So, please credit where credit is due!

Aug 24, 20 11:25 am  · 
 · 
randomised

b3ta, I see it as it is...but please do believe in your fairytale version(s). Obama was raised by a “whitey” (your description) by the way, how does that not overthrow your world view and cause major cognitive dissonance? Ah well...

Aug 24, 20 11:27 am  · 
 · 
randomised

SneakyPete, as a parent I can see the results of my decisions in upbringing, therefore I would feel (at least) partly to blame for future mishaps by my kids (or do you not believe in nurture over nature?)...all those assholes(m/f/x)that spoil it in this day and age were mostly raised by women but nobody dares to talk about it or hold them accountable...that’s just sexism obviously.

Aug 24, 20 11:32 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

We should arrest the parents of murderers and let the poor misguided victims go free.

Aug 24, 20 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Yeah, seeing as how Obama's mom likely was fighting against white supremacy and patriarchy, I'm sure she isn't down with your pantomiming of a "good white". Go on wit your bad self, woke-daddy.

Aug 24, 20 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Well SneakyPete, not my point but go ahead and do what you gotta do...Parents and people raising kids have a responsibility towards society, can’t blame a dysfunctional society on the gender of the assholes alone, or their patriarchy. the upbringing has to play a part in it too, in some way or shape...but only the inconvenient truth that most assholes are raised by women is being ignored. How convenient a bubble you must live in.

Aug 24, 20 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

People tend to blame Marilyn Manson, videogames, Twitter, Trump or the media for creating assholes but the people kids spend most of their time with growing up are conveniently shielded from it all, apparently simply because of their gender...good luck living in such a delusion. If only people took responsibility for how kids and especially boys are raised, what a wonderful world this could be

Aug 24, 20 2:03 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

I am sure the parents of every mass-shooter ever also wore socks. They all had that in common, therefore, let's shift the blame to their choice of footwear. My argument is just a logical as yours.

Aug 24, 20 2:06 pm  · 
2  ·  1
SneakyPete

https://tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

Aug 24, 20 2:25 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

your argument is not as logical, those socks don't instil values, don't provide a moral compass or whatever...but keep your head in the sand, what do I care it's your patriarchy not mine :-P

Aug 24, 20 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You have not seen my socks then.

Aug 24, 20 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I’m not talking about incidents like mass shootings or whatever but the patriarchy or however one calls it, shitty men, assholes or whatever...the regular joes with their distorted views of reality that fuck up this world...those guys are/were raised mostly by women in their formative years...we can all ignore that fact or we can try to fix it. I care about the world so I intend to do something about it, if you don’t, the consequences are on you all, not on me. I’m the prime caregiver for my kids, have been since they were born, was a fulltime stay at home parent both first 6-9 months of their lives by choice, I walk the walk...but you all keep doing what you’re doing, we all know how that turns out.

Aug 24, 20 4:53 pm  · 
SneakyPete

You're changing yourself -A MAN- yet place the blame on the women. Your mother must be proud that she raised such a... unique... mind.

Aug 24, 20 5:15 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Lemme expound. If men aren't the problem, you need not change yourself. You're a man. You, by your own argument, can't be the problem. It's the women. It's the mother of your children that is the problem. Stop trying to change yourself and start trying to change her or else your fight is futile. Assuming what you say is true. Which it's not.

Aug 24, 20 5:24 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

The problem is, it's that rando lives in majorly socialized democracy, one in which parents are treated very well, and capitalist patriarchy, runs counter to their hegemonic thinking. Now, we can take the "word" of a man, but as you note Sneaky, since he was raised by a woman, we can't trust him. Moreover, since we don't have his spouse countersigning his stellar rearing, nor do we have her eye-rolling - which no doubt many here are feeling, hard - we have to take the word of a congenital liar. Touche, rando.

Aug 24, 20 6:14 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Top quality snark beta.

Aug 24, 20 6:44 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

I just find it weird that men are apparently the source of all evil but predominantly the women that raised them are conveniently left out of the picture...that’s just sexism. Nature/nurture...

Aug 25, 20 1:32 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You don’t have to take my word for it but I’ve clearly hit a nerve and exposed an inconvenient truth here...maybe when the cognitive dissonance passes you’ll be able to see it. Good luck and enjoy your fuckin Patriarchy2020 when the rest of us move on. Really can’t discuss equality here, how typical and sad...for y’all

Aug 25, 20 1:38 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

blinders so big they look like the entire world

Aug 25, 20 2:44 am  · 
 · 
randomised

*Binoculars, #2020vision :-P enjoy your patriarchy, if you’re not part of the solution you’re part of the problem.

Aug 25, 20 3:00 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Rando, you do know that digging deeper won't get you out of that hole.

Aug 25, 20 7:32 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I’m not digging, I’m fighting the patriarchy!

Aug 25, 20 8:19 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

In AA, so I'm told, that to fix a problem, you have to recognize there is a problem.

Aug 25, 20 8:22 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Yes, so you’re saying there is no problem or is there? I’m all on board in addressing the problems of the patriarchy, I’m doing that every day. Raising my boys to be feminists!

Aug 25, 20 10:52 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Just like you, right?

Aug 25, 20 11:26 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

to think all this back and forth nonsense would be clear if only one man could get pregnant.

Aug 25, 20 11:35 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You have a lot of faith in humanity, JLC-1. :)

Aug 25, 20 11:45 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

I never said who I wished would get pregnant ;)

Aug 25, 20 12:18 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

“ The problem is, it's that rando lives in majorly socialized democracy”
I wouldn’t consider that a problem at all, you should try it sometimes, you’re more than welcome!

Aug 25, 20 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You are genuinely terrible at discourse and conversation. You vivisect posts and only respond to portions, intentionally ignoring the larger issue to score cheap points on the scoreboard in your head.

Aug 25, 20 2:07 pm  · 
3  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Non, top level observation!

Aug 25, 20 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

"You vivisect posts and only respond to portions, intentionally ignoring the larger issue to score cheap points on the scoreboard in your head."

Yes, I score points and win and you lose :-P

Aug 25, 20 4:13 pm  · 
randomised

Maybe you two should get a room together and make babies, I call 'em Non b3tadine[Sequiturs], you could raise 'em to support your North American patriarchy that you seem to love so dearly...

Aug 25, 20 4:14 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Rando, you're just jealous.  

Also, thanks b3ta. Going full meta here:

Aug 25, 20 4:27 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

now I'm confused, is a country with a king less of a patriarchy than a democracy?

Aug 25, 20 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

In this case, YES!

Aug 25, 20 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

WINNING.

Aug 25, 20 5:21 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

Indeed winning, for over a century following the royal logic of JLC we were in fact a matriarchy, three queens in a row, until 2013, and after this king there will be another queen, unless of course we will get rid of the constitutional monarchy entirely (fingers crossed). So yes, winning on all f-ing levels!

Aug 26, 20 3:40 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

On Monday, vote.

Aug 22, 20 7:44 am  · 
1  · 

I'm just going to say it. Design-Build projects are going to be the end of architects as any semblance of a master builder. On paper it seems like it would be the opposite, but in reality the architects don't make any decisions. I'm working on one (multiple actually, but one in particular) where the design team doesn't even know what our most essential assemblies are composed of and how they will be put together without checking with the GC to see what the subs will want. PVC roof membrane ... mechanically fastened or adhered? Don't know. I'll ask the sub. Roofing insulation type? Don't know. I'll ask the sub. Type of continuous insulation? Don't know. I'll ask the sub. Cladding support system so we can make sure we can meet the energy code? Don't know. I'll ask the sub. Glazing unit makeup so I can verify if the frame plus glass will meet the energy code? Don't know. I'll ask the sub. Speaking of glazed framing, you know storefront won't work ... we need curtainwall performance values for these right? Don't know. I'll ask the sub.

So tell me again why we're even doing anything past DD if everything will be decided by the subs and whatever they put in their bids/proposals? 

Don't know. I'll ask the subs. 

[/rant]

Spending the weekend working makes me grumpy, especially when it's on the specs. Hope the rest of you in the northern hemisphere are out enjoying some of the last weekends of summer.

Aug 22, 20 1:10 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I’ve done a few design build jobs, one of them was even 300-milliion, and did not get this experience. We got to have the first say on materials and assemblies, then the PM, client, builder, and consultants would discuss alternatives when required.

Aug 22, 20 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We also have a legal form we’re obligated to pass onto clients when they agree to a substitution against our recommendations/better judgement. It’s often enough to scare them away.

Aug 22, 20 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

All of my work is design-build (or "design assist") in the $10M to $60M range. I've had both experiences, even with the same contractor. If everything's not open-book from the start, it can be a real disaster (ask me how I know). That, and having good PMs on both sides, are crucial.

Aug 22, 20 1:30 pm  · 
1  · 
curtkram

it will be important for architects to contribute more than picking what color they like. if the owner, contractor, and the subs see you as the expert they will listen to you. it sounds like they see the subs as the experts.

Aug 22, 20 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

I too have worked on other D-B projects that have been absolutely fine. But I'm seeing more that are run like this where the subs or "trade partners" are the ones who are really calling the shots. 

I think a lot of the issues on this project are stemming from the way the GC is running the project. But it wouldn't happen if we didn't just bend over and take it. That's the part that bothers me more. On other projects there have been some potentially serious code issues that got pushed through because of the GC and some interesting AHJ configurations where there wasn't really an authority to appeal to in order to settle the issue. 

I'm with you on the substitution thing too. One of the better D-B projects I was involved with had a waterproofing sub that wouldn't install what we specified and they were claiming they needed more money for it unless we specified what they wanted to install and what they had bid without looking at our documents. GC was pushing us pretty hard to just accept the substitution. We held our ground and they eventually relented because we were going to write that type of letter to the Owner. No GC will ever put themselves in that type of liability with documented proof that they went against the AOR's professional judgement.

Aug 22, 20 1:41 pm  · 
1  · 

curtkram, it's more like our own designers aren't seeing ourselves as the experts. We aren't grasping that we are the ones stamping the documents, not the subs.

It's too late to fix for this project ... and probably the next 5 we might do with this Design-Build partner.

Aug 22, 20 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
proto

don't partner up

or

change the expectations for what you are delivering

Aug 22, 20 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

uh.... performance specs?

Aug 24, 20 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm working on a couple of design-build projects where I work for the contractor. It's easy, fun, and profitable as we doing a similar project for several different clients and I have no client contact whatsoever. Drawing sets can be done in a matter of hours instead of months.

Aug 24, 20 11:50 am  · 
1  · 
mightyaa

Works well if the contractor values what you bring to their team. Not so much if they just want a drafting service that will stamp.

Aug 24, 20 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The previous architect passed away and I inherited 30 years of his documents and his job. Very little to figure out and provide input on, and yes I get listened to.

Aug 24, 20 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

took a while to re-invent my-fictional-self but here it is, it's the same lucky Olaf thread (datawise), all blogs deleted but a new one - DTL.DWG.

let's help the kids here (you old archinectors), on how to be practicing architects.  Like how to develop a detail with some thought.

https://archinect.com/blog/948...

shoot some suggestions, and I'll roll, nevermind I'm working 100 hours a week now, I can make it work.

and Irish tanks

- Blade Runner Tears in the Rain

Now Showing . Blade Runner by Kako , via Behance | Abstract owl ...

Aug 22, 20 7:53 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

So, does that mean you'll resurrect your beer drinking app profile too?

Aug 24, 20 11:03 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

let us know when you hit 168 work hours a week!

Aug 24, 20 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

getting there, but need to sleep apparently...possibly on beer, but can't work 168 hours if you drink beer or can you?

Aug 24, 20 5:30 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

sure can

Aug 24, 20 5:36 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Hold my beer...

Aug 24, 20 6:00 pm  · 
1  · 
awaiting_deletion

so do you want any details? good thing I put notifications in junk mail, but then the clients go on and on...how often are you on archintect while on client call?

Aug 24, 20 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

beer app...possibly, only if I drink BrewDog...I always thought, if I ever open a brewery we would only use solar and wind as energy and deliver as far as the electric cars could go...but BrewDog is on it - https://www.brewsnews.com.au/2020/08/24/brewdog-goes-carbon-negative/

Aug 25, 20 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

NS I tried installing the app while drinking, didn't work out. I'll just have to tell you want I'm drinking via Archinect....in support of the Monks - lots of Westmalle Tripels

Aug 29, 20 2:37 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I chirped you In a recent tank 7 check in.

Aug 29, 20 4:21 pm  · 
1  · 
awaiting_deletion

i post drunk architect beer concerning thread now ;)

Aug 29, 20 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

'netc's starting to get downright touchy with news comments.

Aug 22, 20 9:58 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

Tell me about it! ;-)

Aug 23, 20 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

It's happening everywhere. Reality has come into hard conflict with "consensus" and nobody is allowed to talk about it openly.

Aug 24, 20 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

nah, it's just that tolerance for bad ideas is waning.

Aug 24, 20 11:02 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

nah, people don’t have tolerance for other ideas than their own...

Aug 24, 20 11:22 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Correct... but not in the way you're intending it to be rando.

#notallideasmatter

Aug 24, 20 11:24 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

Q.E. to the mothafuckin’ D!

;-)

Aug 24, 20 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

wooooosh.

Aug 24, 20 11:54 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I had a legit response in the teddy roosevent and that was purged while other, less legit responses remain. I guess Sean or whomever decided I used up all my good will. Whatevs.

Aug 24, 20 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

SP - you gotta hate the "right" things for your response to stay up, I guess.

Aug 24, 20 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

My suggestion would be to disable news comments altogether or instead provide a link from the end of the article to the forums like boing boing does in order to provide a distinct pass-through that indicates what the site has written and what is solely user opinion.

Aug 31, 20 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Banglades

Aug 24, 20 6:51 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Came in early to do a "little cleanup" on some CAD drawings done by a drafter I haven't worked with much. Won't be working with that one again - "Lines are non-coplanar"?!?!? Feckin' seriously? It's an x-reffed floor plan with a few notes and a handful of details, all 2D, and I'm all but redrawing it from scratch. It was due Friday. How does this person still have a job?

Aug 24, 20 11:03 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

do we work in the same office?

Aug 24, 20 11:39 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Funny thing. I work in a huge corporation with multiple A/E (really E/A) departments. Since starting here, I've been nothing but impressed with the junior folks in my own department, but when any department gets slow, we get offers of people to "help out", so the only thing I can do is politely decline this person in the future.

Aug 24, 20 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Sigh. Experience this so often with jr. staff (but then many are amazing young architects too - it just varies) I guess the frustration comes when both groups seem interchangeable in leadership's eyes, and the good one's aren't rewarded/ bad one's aren't let go.

Aug 24, 20 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

There is a small chiropractor's office design that has a very small laundry room with residential style washing machine and dryer.  If a mop sink was installed in this Laundry room would you now consider it a Janitor's room?

Aug 24, 20 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes, and it would then require a 1hr rating (or 0hour if the space is sprinklered)... that's if you're referring within Canada. The trick is not to label it as such but some building inspectors know the ruse. Also important: chiro is just a scam, so charge them 7 times your fees to make up for their deplorable practice.

Aug 24, 20 2:04 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

I would argue that a Janitor room is used for general maintenance of a large building. Soap for washing a floor is not anymore hazardous than the soup in the washroom and kitchen.

Aug 24, 20 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Why a 1 hour rating for the addition of a sink that HOLDS WATER? I might add that this Dr put in $200,000 worth of marble flooring from Italy. There is no way he's putting anything more than mild soap on it.

Aug 24, 20 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

Janitors closets tend to hold all types of stuff that is flammable and toxic. That's why.

Aug 24, 20 3:12 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

See chad's answer. We often advise clients to avoid placing mop sinks because they will get dinged for the FRR requirements. It's a low-hanging fruit for the plan reviewer.

Aug 24, 20 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Yes but there is no storage of flammable materials. Just a washer/dryer and a mop sink. A single shelf above the washer/ dryer. Nothing else.   Its labelled as a Laundry Room

Aug 24, 20 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

The AHJ in my Country agrees with me. Unfortunately this project is somewhere else and the plans were approved by the building dept. and now at the final they have an issue with it. Ugh very frustrating.

Aug 24, 20 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

for the record, I never said it made sense... just the way it happens to be. I've had to add FRR to laundry rooms in the past too.

Aug 24, 20 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Our solution is to remove the sink and put in a floor drain. I'm mostly just annoyed because this would have been an easy fix at plan review time. Not the week my client wants to move in.

Aug 24, 20 3:44 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

Good thing this building in on a crawl space

Aug 24, 20 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

They're fucking with you, but you probably know that, and are doing right by the client. These plan reviewer/inspectors never talk to each other, and if they do, they're running a scam. Just like moving companies do.

Aug 24, 20 7:01 pm  · 
1  · 
curtkram

i would have gone with something like a basin sink instead of floor sink. the basin sinks are more laundry-like. also, i don't think i've ever rated a janitor closet. if it isn't big enough to fill with chemicals, it's not going to get filled with chemicals.

Aug 24, 20 7:20 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I just happened to stumble through the section of my code (which I assumed was similar to hip’s) that speaks to laundry and janitor rooms earlier today. Fire-rating required for both. (1hr typical, 0hr FRR if sprinklers).

Aug 24, 20 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I only have to rate laundry rooms of multi family residential

Aug 24, 20 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

you can dip a mop into a toilet right? bidet?

Aug 25, 20 7:18 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

I thought a laundry room was a smoke barrier instead of fire. Don't want to look it up right now though

Aug 25, 20 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Curt, for me it's a smoke-barrier (0h FRR) unless there are no sprinklers. Then it's a 1hr FRR

Aug 25, 20 11:54 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Almost, is the laundry room over 100 sf?

Aug 25, 20 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

no lol. The entire office space is only 4000s.f. (371m2) The laundry room is about 45 s.f. (4m2)

Aug 25, 20 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Then the code official, or inspector is a clown. This is an non-issue, if the space is 100 sf or more, based on table 509 of IBC, regarding incidental uses, this does not require a rating. Asshats.

Aug 25, 20 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I thought this project was in Alberta...

Aug 25, 20 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

This was design under the National Building Code of Canada- Alberta Edition 2019 . So ya.....

Aug 25, 20 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'm too lazy to walk down 2 storeys to go check out our copy of the alberta code.

Aug 25, 20 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

3.3.1.21 states "a room or space within a floor area for the storage of janitorial supplies shall be separated from the remainder of the building by a fire separation having a FRR not less than an hour." Probably that same sentence as in the OBC. But without any shelving and just a sink where are they storing "janitorial supplies"? My only point was how does a mop sink = janitorial supplies. Doesnt rally matter as the sink has been removed

Aug 25, 20 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

That is severe, and dense by my measure.

Aug 25, 20 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Anyone here using Affinity products? I'm thinking about dumping Adobe, and the idea of owning this is exceedingly attractive to my cheap ass.

Aug 24, 20 6:55 pm  · 
1  · 
Rusty!

At least their photopshop clone is spot on. A lot of identical workflows with few quirks here and there that are super easy to google. Their support forums are excellent. More than sufficient for architect's needs. Print media graphic designers may still have to rely on Adobe for some advanced proofing features. We switched long ago and it seems to work great except for handful of Adobe licenses for people who plain refused to switch. Holding shift for certain 'Lasso Tool' features was too much for them.

Aug 24, 20 9:02 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Thanks Rusty! I do like the familiarity of the software, I just wanted to confirm that the learning curve isn't altogether too different.

Aug 25, 20 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Funny, I've been thinking about buying a personal Adobe license since my work has become a bit more stingy with the office licenses lately. Never heard of Affinity... I'll check it out as a comparison!

Aug 25, 20 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Are you doing photo editing? I use Gimp and it's free! I use Publisher and Word for page layout. I paid $10 for Publisher eight years ago. 

Aug 25, 20 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

I use Gimpshop too.....good program

Aug 25, 20 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

tintt - I do some photo editing but more often I do a lot of vector work in illustrator and trying to do more video work (in Premiere, though I know the other major programs well too). Creative Suite, as a bundle, seems like the most convenient, but the cost is giving me pause.

Aug 25, 20 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

$60 a mo (Adobe), 2 devices, pretty damn cheap vs AutoDesk products...only became an issue with 5+ staff as Acrobat Pro was used most often, but then you just get a free copy of Acrobat Reader...so in short not that many people were ever on Photoshop or Illustrator to warrant more than one license...

Aug 26, 20 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

We like Bluebeam . . .

Aug 29, 20 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

So... 

I'll see myself out

Aug 26, 20 8:17 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

Go Canada! But shouldn’t that be cases per people per km2 or something for it to compare? I mean Canada has same population roughly as California, no?

Aug 26, 20 8:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

fine... then in that case it's 0.0012 new cases per km2 in Canada vs 0.57 new cases per km2 in Trumpkanistan... but the chart is new cases over a 7day period per 1 million people.

Aug 26, 20 9:02 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I meant new cases per population per km2, so related to density not just those absolute numbers, but congrats Non the less!

Aug 26, 20 9:49 am  · 
 · 

Be careful of those sneaky MN's Non. Especially the northern ones. We're basically Canadian's anyways.

Aug 26, 20 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'm sure we can build a wall fast enough to keep them out.

Aug 26, 20 10:23 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

i'm trying to see myself out of this fucked up country right now.

Aug 26, 20 10:49 am  · 
3  · 
randomised

Which one?

Aug 26, 20 11:01 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

The Netherlands

Aug 26, 20 11:33 am  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

me? Well the USA, of course. No idea where I'm going yet, just elsewhere.

Aug 26, 20 11:44 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

I'd always heard that MS (Martin Short and Maple Syrup) have healing powers, but this map confirms it!

Aug 26, 20 12:38 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

I wish I could be as happy as Martin Short always seems to be.

Aug 26, 20 12:41 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

architect is on the list of acceptable professions with canuckistani immigration, but good luck as a southern border occupant convincing them you will bring benefit to the country...might be easier to emigrate to australia first, convert residency, then find your way to canadia

Aug 26, 20 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

NS - I don't know if Canadians could build a wall fast enough to keep out northern Minnesotans. Even if you could we'd just wait for winter and use the snow drifts to ski across the border.

Aug 26, 20 1:27 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

Goddamnit. I'm considering a nice long 2 months of Canadian WFH starting at 'Murican Thanksgiving. Gotta make it that long for the initial 14 day quarantine to be worth it.

Aug 26, 20 1:33 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

Bench is benching themselves. I like it.

Aug 26, 20 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I would move to the northen territories, and promise to not do any damage trying to architect canada. just leave me alone in the woods, it would be 100% better than anything happening now in the US, and no, it's not because of the patriarchy.

Aug 26, 20 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

The territories are lovely - I did a work co-op there. Plenty of work to be done, it's basically Alaska with less guns.

Aug 26, 20 3:28 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Fewer guns  ;o]

Aug 26, 20 3:52 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

^We still have polar bears up-there... also important to note is those are long-guns... not silly "self-defense" pistols.

Aug 26, 20 4:12 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Fewer vs. less is a pedantic argument started by an asshole in 1770.

And long guns are a problem down here, too. See: last night.

Aug 26, 20 4:17 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

^those are not permitted, at all, to own for civilians, regardless of the amount of polar bear gangs in your hood.

Canadian Firearm Regulations

Aug 26, 20 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

I feel like "less" vs. "fewer" is kind of missing the key point in that sentence.

Aug 26, 20 4:48 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Hence the emoji!

Aug 26, 20 4:48 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

someone somewhere mentioned something about pedants?

Aug 26, 20 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

also, that is an emoticon, not an emoji.

Pedant²

Aug 26, 20 4:57 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

I specify Pedant Lamps in all my projects. They're smart speaker and smart mic enabled and correct all of the incorrect grammar that occurs within range with a smug Kiwi accent.

Aug 26, 20 5:15 pm  · 
5  · 
citizen

I went to EMOTICON a few years ago in San Diego... not at all what I was expecting. Who knew that comic nerds were such cryers?

Aug 26, 20 5:29 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

I like polar bears, and grizzlies too.

Aug 26, 20 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

This thread is the content I need at the end of a long week. Cheers all! Have a great weekend!

Aug 28, 20 6:19 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

Speaking of polar bears JLC...a Dutchman was killed by one today in Spitsbergen, Norway https://www.highnorthnews.com/en/man-killed-polar-bear-svalbard

Aug 28, 20 6:59 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

Aug 26, 20 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I know, Bench. I hear you. The US is so dumb right now.

Aug 26, 20 9:43 pm  · 
2  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Siah Armajani

Very sad day. Brilliant artist, truly visionary.

Aug 28, 20 8:41 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

I remember that '96 cauldron, made quite the impression.

Aug 29, 20 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OMG GOLIATH SEASON 3 STARTS WITH DEATH BY SINKHOLE MY WORST FEAR AAAAAAGHHHHH

Aug 29, 20 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

is it SUBsidence or subSIdence?

Aug 29, 20 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

bah! IDK!

Aug 29, 20 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Be original, subsiDENCE!

(I've always heard subSIdence.)

Aug 31, 20 9:15 am  · 
 · 
lower.case.yao
I think it’s time for archinect to go dark mode, anyone with me?
Aug 31, 20 2:11 am  · 
 · 
ZynoT

Would be great. But you should still be able to choose which mode you want to have. I prefer dark mode on my smartphone. Light mode on the computer. At the desk I often only turn on the computer as a light source.

Aug 31, 20 8:02 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You can simply invert your screen on both mac and windows and iPhone too and there’s your dark mode...

Aug 31, 20 8:58 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I use a sharpie.

Aug 31, 20 9:10 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Yeah, this place is way too white.

Aug 31, 20 11:35 am  · 
4  · 
randomised

Maybe they should simply lower the bar, remove the requirements for archinect licensure!!!

Aug 31, 20 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

hey now, I worked hard for the archinect snark license

Aug 31, 20 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer's comment has been hidden
Volunteer

The comments on the 'blog' about the White House Rose Garden have been removed. The story attempted to savage Mrs. Trump but was effeectively rebuttted by commenters with a deep knowledge of landscape architecture in general and the individual landscape architects involved. Is this an instance of 'cancel culture' coming to rescue a story so poorly and vindictively written it should never have been posted at all? If is was only a mistake please restore the comments. 

Aug 31, 20 9:31 am  · 
4  ·  1
square.

cancel culture has been canceled

Aug 31, 20 10:00 am  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

Cancel culture: the free market at work.

Aug 31, 20 11:35 am  · 
2  ·  1
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Listen snowflakes, if you don't like a private company practicing its Free Speech rights, might I suggest you go fuck yourself, see your dumbass to the door, and head on over to Fox News, where they practice the same fucking rights as Archinect. Tell me something, does your mommy put on your clown makeup, or is it kissing Trump's ass that gives you that special glow?

Aug 31, 20 1:42 pm  · 
2  ·  2
archanonymous

yes, beta, keep it up with the ad-hominen attacks and shit-talking.

are you trying to change people's minds through dialogue or to further divide people?

Aug 31, 20 2:15 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Again, this is a Denny's, not a government agency. Why's that so difficult? What part of you doesn't get, I don't care? Archinect can do whatever the fuck it wants. You make dead ass clown comments, I'm going to call you out. You vote for Trump, you're a racist piece of shit.

Aug 31, 20 2:21 pm  · 
randomised

Oh the irony...it is just funny that a “news” article tries to trash the Trumps for restoring the White House rose garden and the author is being schooled left right and center. Lesson: at least get your facts straight when writing a news article.

Aug 31, 20 2:32 pm  · 
3  ·  1
justavisual

Awwww man, just leave them to it...no one is allowed to have an opinion...except the chosen ones. You will only see one side of the argument here, not allowed to read the comments (largely negative says something imo). I'm glad I fucked off from the cesspool 10 years ago. To delete all the comments is going way too far, the ones calling people "nazis" and racists, or even the ones actually making "fun" of the original post, fine. But the ones that we took time to write, with factual basis...come on.

Aug 31, 20 2:37 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

“ Snowflake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions.” I don’t know but that doesn’t sound like the people here complaining about their comments being removed...sounds more like someone else here ;-)

Aug 31, 20 2:53 pm  · 
5  · 
SneakyPete

Whining about deleted comments you consider overly unique on a site you don't own is entitled behavior stemming from an unwarranted sense of entitlement, and the further whining is a result of being overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions. QED.

Aug 31, 20 3:04 pm  · 
5  ·  2
tduds

Curious lack of recognition of the sarcastic nature of beta's comment above. Y'all are playing yourselves.

Aug 31, 20 3:59 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I'm stand by comment; you vote for Trump, you're a racist.

Aug 31, 20 4:08 pm  · 
3  ·  1
randomised

If only it was sarcasm tduds...

Aug 31, 20 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I mean I said it was sarcasm & b3ta gave it a thumbs up, so it's a pretty obvious conclusion.

Aug 31, 20 4:13 pm  · 
1  · 
archi_dude

At least b3ta is admitting they are censoring facts that do too good of a job of challenging their views. And then immediately goes to Godwin's law. So very very fragile.

Aug 31, 20 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

And what exactly do you add to the discourse around here, archi_dude? You pop up here and there carrying water for the fascist bloc of Archinect but have very little of interest to say for yourself.

Aug 31, 20 8:12 pm  · 
1  · 
archi_dude

The fascist bloc? You mean the bloc that removes any discourse of opposing views, advocates for such an extreme level of engineered "equality" that it could only come about with drastic government controls at the expense of individual liberties? I don't side with you Sneaky, c'mon should know that.

Aug 31, 20 8:17 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I'll need you to provide receipts for that load of horse shit.

Aug 31, 20 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I was wondering what happened to that story and comments. Thanks, All, for the recap.

Aug 31, 20 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Too easy duds, calling those unhinged fascistoid rants sarcasm is just a cop out and an excuse. If anyone here would be punching people in the face for their opinions and use of free speech everybody here knows who that person will be. Even applauds it when people get hurt physically or worse for their beliefs and opinions or even the beliefs or opinions of their parents...so yeah, I’m not buying it. The fascists of the future will call themselves antifascists???

Sep 1, 20 2:16 am  · 
1  ·  1
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Psst. Calling people who voted for Trump racists, is not unhinged. It's actually calling the thing by its name. It's OK to do that.

Sep 1, 20 5:56 am  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

archi_ where did I "admit" to censoring facts? I'm still fearing for your clients with this level of comprehension.

Sep 1, 20 6:06 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

in case anyone is wondering I'm actually reading Benito's only book on the philosphy of fascism, and one line struck me...but I won't quote it. I think the word has become distorted....and yes as a Libertarian - Archinect can protect, promote, do whatever the fuck they want including censoring me altogether!

Sep 1, 20 8:24 am  · 
 · 
randomised

b3ta you’re like the boy who cried wolf...

Sep 1, 20 8:51 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Um no. That would be Trumpers. Volunteer posted on Mitch's blog; "Wasn't there another tree that was removed by Mrs. Trump and she was bashed for it?" That never happened. Kkkops are the ones crying wolf, and they do it in blog posts, and they do through their unions, and they are given permission by their President. 

You still haven't showed me yet. So what if I wrote that I don't care if the son of Nazi died, so, what. 

You vote for Trump you're a racist.

Sep 1, 20 9:22 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You calling every trump voter a racist is like the boy who cried wolf...you’re devaluing the meaning of what it means. But yeah, that’s how you are, you didn’t just ‘not care’ the son of a Nazi died, you were celebrating it by drinking a beer to it, weird...or maybe that’s your understanding of what sarcasm is.

Sep 1, 20 9:34 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Meh. You vote for Trump you're a racist. 

No, it's not devalued, it's definitively not crying wolf, just because you don't like the truth, doesn't devalue the proposition; if you support those values, you're a racist, xenophobic, law breaking, Constitution violating person. 

Speer Jr. thought it was OK to work for oppressive regimes, pretty much anyone working for oppressive regimes, is questionable. But, dad worked for Uncle Adolf.

Sep 1, 20 9:59 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You cheered his death because he was the son of the Nazi architect, but whatever...you are working for an oppressive regime yourself ;-)

Sep 1, 20 10:24 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

"Working under" is not the same as "Working for", or is that too difficult to grasp?

Sep 1, 20 10:36 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You financially support the killing of innocent civilians, or did Obama pay for those killer drones from his own pocket?

Sep 1, 20 11:17 am  · 
1  · 
archi_dude

B3ta who thought we had to commandeer unused office parks to house the influx of COVID patients that never came and tried to start a business to positively pressurize residential vestibules and openly mocked how it was basically theft from rich people and preying on their fears of protecting their loved ones, worries for my clients. Damn I must be pretty bad.

Sep 1, 20 11:39 am  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Man, that idea, it's still a good one. I'm using the tools of Disaster Capitalism! Isn't that what we're supposed to do? I mean, isn't that what's happening, right now? Is that not what the rich are doing? What Trump is doing? Except, I'm exploiting the concerns of the rich? 

So, back when the estimates were in the millions of deaths, and hospitals were buckling, it seems the Army Corps of Engineers was planning the same thing, with respect to industrial parks and hotels.

As for Obama, you got me there, but if I remember, The Netherlands are in NATO too, and they're in Afghanistan and Syria. We all got blood on our hands.

Sep 1, 20 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

archi, might I suggest Matthew Chapter 7?

Sep 1, 20 12:40 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

b3ta, we are only part of NATO because we are occupied by your imperialist country and are forced to be in, we have your soldiers and nukes on our land and are forced to send our soldiers to die for your fucking oil, so please don’t give me that shit about us being in your NATO, like we have a choice...Obama killed those people without NATO or UN approval by the way, your boy did that all by himself, and you vote for such a war criminal and worry your p(r)etty little head about alleged racism...man are you clueless. Obama killed in one go what the American police have yet to achieve in a century, but yeah Trump is the problem, sure...

Sep 1, 20 1:33 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Meh. We don't need to occupy your tiny country. Oil? What do Dutch automobiles, trucks, and ships use? You're not forced to do anything. You can leave NATO, but you'd rather have Americans die, while you benefit. It's OK, if Trump gets reëlected, he'll let Putin have all of Europe. I like the use of "boy" too, it's upgrade from what you are more inclined to call him and Michelle, by the way, how's you Zwarte Pier costume coming.

Sep 1, 20 1:52 pm  · 
SneakyPete

Rando is there a point in there other than trying to smear feces all over things? Obama did stuff. Trump is doing that stuff PLUS MORE.

Sep 1, 20 1:52 pm  · 
1  ·  1
randomised

Sorry Petey did I hurt your feelings? All I said was your country is an imperialist global bully, killing thousands and thousands of innocent people abroad under previous presidents like Obama. Now you have a couple of people dying at home and you go all apeshit. Obama killed more people on a Monday morning over breakfast, but they were not Black so who gives a damn...Maybe now you know what it feels like to be occupied by the USA. Trump doesn’t send his soldiers overseas, he uses them domestically, as a foreigner I prefer that to be honest, costs way less innocent lives in the end...Peace!

Sep 2, 20 2:23 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You’re already here b3ta, occupying my country you imperialist! We can’t leave NATO, we have your imperialist soldiers on our land, your weapons of mass destruction on our soil, putting a target on our backs like that! You are keeping us hostage. What’s wrong with using boy, son? What am I inclined to call the Obamas? Don’t try to assume things I never said in your fascist petty ways. I don’t have a Zwarte Piet costume, trying to divert the convo that you are losing (again and still and always)? No MasterCard commercial can ever capture the priceless look on your face when Trump will be re-elected because of people like you. You’re a walking ‘Vote Trump’ ad, keep it up!

Sep 2, 20 2:34 am  · 
SneakyPete

What's it like to have no principles at all? Do the things you consider victories taste like ash?

Sep 2, 20 3:26 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

What do you mean no principles, because of calling out American imperialistas? If that’s what you consider no principles, I’d rather have none than have yours...hahaha

Sep 2, 20 5:34 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

This base?

Sep 2, 20 8:39 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Wow? It's almost like Imperialism never existed before America? Amiright, racist cuck?

Sep 2, 20 8:41 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

"The great colonial empire established by the Netherlands and the policy it practiced in the lands, which measure 40 times larger than its own, overshadowed its humanist history. The rising trend of fascism in the country is being followed with astonishment and concern."

Holier Than Tho?

Sep 2, 20 8:43 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You’re hopelessly dwelling in the past b3taimperialist[fascista]...do you want 4 more years of Trump? because that’s how you’ll get 4 more years of Trump...

Sep 2, 20 8:52 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

What's wrong, simp? Your country practically invented Colonialism, the photo in the dictionary might as well just have a picture of the queen, I mean, New York was "settled", stolen by the Dutch...God bless you Europeeeans, if it wasn't for you shit hole countries, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Sep 2, 20 8:52 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You only look backwards, no wonder your shirt is brown as shit, brownshirt[sutures]...you have your head so far up your own ass just to not have to face the fugly American Imperialism of today, keep pointing at the past and lose the White House again you eejit!

Sep 2, 20 9:24 am  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

“Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes." Santayana

Yet, we don't have Black Pete, the original blackface, still part of Dutch culture. The only thing the Dutch export now, cheese, bulbs, and superiority complex. 

Dummkopf. 

Sep 2, 20 9:34 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

If we're ugly randouche, it's because we learned from the original Imperialists/Colonizer, the Dutch.

Sep 2, 20 9:39 am  · 
 · 
randomised

At some point you’ll have to take ownership and responsibility b3ta...grow up. Any plans for when Trump gets re-elected?

Sep 2, 20 9:48 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Ownership, something the Dutch have never done. But yeah, I got plans, I still have family in Holland, and I understand I can go there, stand on my soapbox, and forget the past.

Sep 2, 20 10:12 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You don’t have to forget the past, simply acknowledge your present and future. I’m curious if you’d be welcomed with open arms once your family reads your fascistoidical rants here and when they realise you’re a fervent supporter of war criminal Obama!

Sep 2, 20 10:21 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I'll be fine. It's you I'm concerned about, should I contact the secret service, your obsession with Obama, is kind of scary. Are you okay? I can call you a doctor?

This you? Kinda seems like it 

Sep 2, 20 10:29 am  · 
 · 

Can we nuke both b3ta and rando from TC now?

Sep 2, 20 12:05 pm  · 
1  ·  1
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Totally.

Sep 2, 20 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Why EA? I can talk about how much I drink too. TC can simply continue below this sub thread any ways... I had 2 espressos and a cappuccino today, and a classic black drip coffee this morning for breakfast.

Sep 2, 20 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

That’s me b3ta, been stalking my LinkedIn? How’d you know? Only minus the beer belly, minus the picture tee, minus the baseball cap, minus the tattoos but with a beard. Spot on! Well done gold sticker for you...

Sep 2, 20 12:40 pm  · 
1  · 

Why? Because you both lack the self-control to be considered functioning adults here.

Sep 2, 20 1:00 pm  · 
2  · 

Not only here but in the rest of the world - except for parts of the Netherlands.

Sep 2, 20 1:49 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

I just don’t give in to proto fascistoidical assholes that are a spot on mirror image of the ideologies they pretend to oppose...and I call out their hypocrisy, if that makes me a target here, so fucking be it.

Sep 3, 20 3:57 am  · 
 · 

It's not that you do it (calling people out or whatever) ... it's that you do it in such a bad faith, juvenile manner that makes you such a target for criticism.

Sep 3, 20 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Nah, I’m just direct and honest but “you [guys m/f/x] can’t handle the truth”...

Sep 4, 20 2:16 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

isn't there a separate thread for the politically inclined to do their whining in?

Sep 1, 20 10:22 am  · 
7  · 
SneakyPete

Would take active moderating to enforce, but I would very much be in favor (with full acknowledgement that I am part of the discourse in question)

Sep 1, 20 12:40 pm  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

Well, this site could start by not posting hit pieces on a First Lady who just improved, and made wheel-chair accessible, the Rose Garden and then deleted rational comments about the same subject while retaining here the rantings of a loon that calls everyone a racist.

Sep 1, 20 12:49 pm  · 
4  ·  1
SneakyPete

Your umbrage is laughable considering the comments you make and where you choose to splatter them. And as usual justavisual walks close enough behind you to sniff your farts.

Sep 1, 20 12:59 pm  · 
1  ·  1
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

But Volunteer, if you support Trump, you are a, racist.

Sep 1, 20 1:20 pm  · 
1  ·  2
randomised

Wasn’t that thread nuked though...

Sep 1, 20 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect
Archinect

In fact, there's an entire category in the forum for political talk. Please keep it there: https://archinect.com/forum/category/161/politics

Sep 1, 20 2:14 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

^and yet I still don't get why the first reply, mine btw, in the politics central is not a feature comment. Something something cancelled something for sure.

Sep 1, 20 2:16 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Archinect, would you be willing to take an active part in nuking politics (or allowing mods to do so)? Having the forum is all well and good, but I don't trust the good graces of individuals not to shit on the carpet.

Sep 1, 20 2:17 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

I see you ding-dongs found the politics thread again. Have at it!

Sep 1, 20 3:02 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

Here's some help, since Thread Central's metal detector caught these on me, and I had to hand 'em over.Alberni Valley Lions honour Winston Joseph - Port Alberni Valley ... -  Alberni Valley News - Port Alberni news - NewsLocker

Sep 1, 20 9:15 pm  · 
 · 

I feel like I'm better off for not having witnessed most of the train wreck that seems to have happened in the last few days. Anything worth going back and looking into?

Sep 1, 20 5:50 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

No.

Sep 1, 20 5:58 pm  · 
5  · 

Didn't think so

Sep 1, 20 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Ye olde Balkerino got nuked again.

Sep 1, 20 8:11 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Good riddance.

Sep 2, 20 1:06 am  · 
2  ·  1

Is there a master list of all the threads from which Balkins has been nuked?

Sep 2, 20 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

That would be a list of thousands.

Sep 2, 20 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

If such a list existed, he'd eventually ensure that the list itself is nuked.

Sep 2, 20 12:42 pm  · 
1  · 
awaiting_deletion

I think outside of thread central, all forum post submittals must be either - sketches, models, renderings, or drawings.

Sep 1, 20 9:19 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

To which I'd add journal entries, shower songs, interpretive dances, and Christopher Walken impressions.

Sep 1, 20 10:04 pm  · 
2  · 
awaiting_deletion

$$$$$$!!! 4

Jay Mohr | Saturday Night Live Wiki | Fandom

Sep 1, 20 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

there was once a time when we frequently posted details, images of projects and discussed architecture in thread central...

Sep 2, 20 10:22 am  · 
 · 

I tried doing that about 6-8 months ago. It upset a few users for some reason and they resorted to sending me PM's telling my how much I suck as an architect.

Sep 2, 20 10:44 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

intent of me blog, taking a day or 2 off (well not really, I never tell clients on vacation, always available) but will post some stuff on me blog. as for the PM, pathetic is the only word I can think of, who goes out of their way to do that...now back to Mohr doing Walkins!

Sep 3, 20 7:50 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Do you ever wonder if we are too harsh on innocent civilians posting questions? I know we know who this forum is meant for, or at least we think we do, but is that really what Archinect is meant to be? This is on the "About" page:

Mission: The goal of Archinect is to make architecture more connected and open-minded, and bring together designers from around the world to introduce new ideas from all disciplines.

Background: Archinect was initially developed in 1997 by Paul Petrunia. The site has since become a top online destination for progressive-design oriented students, architects, educators, and fans.

The Team: Archinect's direction is driven by the staff and contributors, as pictured below. Archinect's member-based community system allows anyone to participate by registering and contributing. Please contact us if you would like to contribute. We're always open to new perspectives.

It seems like bashing those who present ugly ranch houses or desert-based abominations and want free design advice might fit the above mission, rather than the "architects-only" atmosphere of the forum. There's really nothing to let people know we don't want their kind here. I don't care either way, just pondering. 

Sep 2, 20 7:25 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

I was discussing this with my partner earlier today. It's a toss-up as to whether the advice solicited will be met with appreciation, scorn, or argument, and it's not worth it as far as I am concerned. I like helping people, and I like discussing solutions to problems, even if it means someone on the internet gets "free work." But the arguments that frequently follow just aren't fun. At all. Being snarky is fun, at least for me. Schadenfreude and all. I appreciate your compassion, though. You're admirable in your patience and willingness to help.

Sep 2, 20 7:29 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

Thanks Pete, but I don't think I'm being compassionate, just logical. I help when I feel like it and provide some snark on occasion, and often just ignore advice-seekers.

I just noticed a typo in my original comment. Hopefully the intent is clear. 

Sep 2, 20 7:50 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

I vacillate wildly between wanting to be helpful, nice, and tolerant and wanting to be a complete jerk, often within minutes. This doesn't mean I have mental issues, it's a result of the various stresses I have in meat space translating to and being amplified or tempered by what I read here. Letting this pass by is a skill I haven't developed very strongly, it may be noted.

Sep 2, 20 7:54 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Interior designers are taking jobs like that new one that showed up today with the two tiny additions looking for help with roofs. They just do a little sketch that looks pretty and charge hundreds of dollars or more. We all could maybe learn something from that. Sell dreams, not buildings.

Sep 2, 20 7:56 pm  · 
4  · 
SpontaneousCombustion

I'm usually nice to non-architects who come looking for help IF they recognize in their posts that they're asking us to take time to help, and IF they're asking something small and focused. I'm not as nice when they jump right into the middle of their project, with no introduction and no expression of appreciation, and when they want a whole project designed on the forum.  But even then, I'm not really trying to be snarky, just trying to warn them that usually the only people here who take on that sort of "project" earnestly are not qualified to do so.

It is true that a pinned notice might be helpful.  Forums where doctors and other medical people discuss their specialties usually have some big pinned notice that tells people that the forum is not for discussion of specific cases, and then whenever somebody comes there to try to discuss their medial problem they just get responses quoting that notice.  If we had that type of notice I would just quote it or refer clueless visitors to it.  

Sep 2, 20 8:13 pm  · 
2  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Right sponty, there are ethical reasons why we can't offer design advice on a forum as professionals. We should probably say so instead of being snarky. But that's not fun!

Sep 2, 20 8:27 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Agreed that the tone and approach of the virgin poster is key in how I think and respond. 

As general categories, property owners are grownups and should be able to handle some rough-and-tumble, even if uncalled for. But the HS kids and other babes-in-the-woods who wander in here with zero guile and just wanting to hear from folks in the field-- I feel very protective of them. Unfortunately I rarely post or answer them because their questions are usually vast and open-ended, and I'm usually behind in my work.

Sep 3, 20 1:02 am  · 
2  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Wood, those comments, or questions aren't even the worst though. The ones that irked me for the longest, and threads I never venture in anymore, are the ones asking which graduate school they should attend. The obvious humble brag, coupled with zero sense of self, or knowing what they want, it's terribly bothersome. I wished I had that problem.

Sep 3, 20 4:00 am  · 
2  · 
awaiting_deletion

if we were helpful, and I intend on giving away free details with lots of disclosures, maybe people would hang more...the townie dive bar would have some new people hang-out and we'd probably have better conversations! (I for one go downhill fast if same shit everyday, including thought, that's when I know I have to expand)

Sep 3, 20 7:49 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Dtl.dwg, I'm not sure that many of those types of posters would add much to a conversation but I could be wrong. I honestly have mixed feelings about it, but lean toward preferring a more insular community here. Not that my opinion matters. I was just looking for a pinned post to share that would send them away nicely, and found pretty much the opposite.

b3tadine, I don't have anything to add to those posts so I don't even open them, and may be guilty of the occasional humblebrag myself. But I know what you mean. I would never venture into a community I was not familiar with and immediately start asking for life advice. Though many seem fine with it.

Sep 3, 20 8:27 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

To add something here, that one wanker with the desert steam-punk rammed earth thing did stay around amidst the snark and got good tips.

Sep 3, 20 8:49 am  · 
2  · 
midlander

^that one was fascinating because he was in no way being a lazy mooch and he was entirely polite and responsive. he had very specific and extensively thought out plans which made no sense to me but were fun to pick through.

Sep 3, 20 9:49 am  · 
 · 
midlander

when i respond it's usually to questions where the poster seems unaware of what it is they are asking about, or could benefit from more self-awareness regarding their goal in the situation. actually giving specific answers is never useful - usually the questions are inane or stuck in a self-made trap of thinking.

Sep 3, 20 9:52 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Also worth noting that “what style is this” by slimy realtors will get what they deserve.

Sep 3, 20 10:12 am  · 
2  · 
Jaetten

So..

Mother in law has got a permit and a skip arriving tomorrow. No space to put it due to parked cars, non of which belong to her or her neighbours. Put a sign out stating skip being delivered, and the sign got removed. 

Nothing can be done apparently due to it being free for all parking, no restrictions etc.

From my understanding, given that it has a permit for that section of road, it can be dropped on the other side, it is however a one way single track road with parking space and pavements on either side. Putting the skip opposite 'may' block HGV's and busses unless they can drop the skip half on half off pavement.

I have a feeling that tomorrow will be a 'fun' day!

Sep 3, 20 4:34 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Be sure to take lots of pictures!

Sep 3, 20 4:40 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Argh. I'm just as drawn to building as I am to design, but dealing with logistical nightmares like that is one thing that has repeatedly driven me back to design-only. I renovated several condos in and around Boston with zero parking available. Hours each day spent traveling from 2 miles away and trying to find parking. Working from my home office in the countryside is much less stressful.

Sep 3, 20 8:32 am  · 
2  · 
Jaetten

It's a nightmare! sorted a spot now, dropped the car in until skip arrives. Used to live on that road, only managed 4 months before moving, could spend 30mins looking for a parking space. Used to drive a 7 seat 'dad van' which made it a bigger issue.

Sep 3, 20 8:50 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

should have parked two of your own cars on the street where it needed to go to reserve the spot!

(edit) I realize you probably aren't a 'Murican since you're calling a roll-off a skip, but over here we all have two cars, sometimes three or four. Unless you are poor, then you only have one car, or maybe a car plus a motorcycle.

Sep 3, 20 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Jaetten

UK here, funny you should mention car and MC, I've been riding much longer than driving! I ain't leaving the bike though, haha. that street is a rough place!

Sep 3, 20 10:52 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

If you're really poor here, you might have only a motorcycle (which was me for a few years in my younger days) - enjoy your ride to work, rain or shine...

Sep 3, 20 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I only have a bicycle, not sure what that says about me.

Sep 3, 20 4:14 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Archanonymous, if you're poor where I live (rural New England) you have a $40K pickup with a lift kit, a motorcycle, an ATV and a snowmobile. (I just have a 10-yo Prius.)

Sep 3, 20 4:41 pm  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

That's what I like to hear - it's the American way!

Sep 3, 20 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

WG - That's what I like to hear - it's the American way!

Sep 3, 20 5:16 pm  · 
1  · 

arch - around here the bicycles can cost around $5-8k really easily.

Sep 3, 20 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

ugh yeah i hate those guys. Freds showing up to the weekly ride with the 10k S-Works but they can't hold a wheel at 17mph

Sep 3, 20 7:15 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

I actually have two bicycles, one sturdy transport bike I own for shopping and taking kids around town and one subscription bicycle (riding as a service) near my place of work to go from station to office.

Sep 4, 20 2:14 am  · 
 · 

Around here a lot of cycling is technical mountain biking. The trails here require a full suspension setup and start at $2k for a beginners setup. It only gets more expensive from there.

Sep 4, 20 10:10 am  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

That sounds great Chad, what are those trails like? I used to mountain bike in my younger years! Skip also sorted and full ready to collect already.

Sep 4, 20 10:14 am  · 
 · 

It's not uncommon for a green / blue trail around here to have over 800 ft of elevation gain and loss over 3 miles with uphill rock hopping, sharp turns, and technical lines both up and downhill.

A seat post dropper, long peddles, and a tubeless setup are strongly recommended if you're not already an experienced rider. 

Sep 4, 20 10:23 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Question to the crowd -

Is anyone's firm following this tax deferral edict thing from the White House?

It sounded crazy to me when I first heard about it, more of a stunt than anything. Apparently it's for real, and luckily we were informed quite flatly this week by management that our firm would not participate, as it would simply push our tax burden to double next year once the deferral is over. I'm personally quite happy about that.

Sep 3, 20 8:52 am  · 
2  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I will be fucking pissed if my firm falls for it. What we need NOW is a rules change regarding WFH, or at least some clarity.

Sep 3, 20 9:21 am  · 
 · 
Bench

It really makes no sense to me. I'm happy our office rejected the idea. Its primarily a huge amount of administration work with no fiscal benefit.

Sep 3, 20 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Seems like an appeal to low information voters who have the attention span of a gnat.

Sep 3, 20 10:15 am  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

tintt, that means it will be very effective for the target demographic.

Sep 3, 20 10:40 am  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yes, it's genius. Have fun with your "tax cuts" kids.

Sep 3, 20 10:50 am  · 
2  · 

Our office laughed at the payroll tax deferment. I think one of the partners called it 'f#*king stupid'.

Sep 3, 20 12:09 pm  · 
5  · 
atelier nobody

As I understand it, this only applies below a certain income threshold, which I am almost certainly well over.

Sep 3, 20 3:29 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

105k from what I read.

Sep 3, 20 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

I don't know about you atelier nobody but our interns make under $105k. Hell, I make under $105k. ;)

Sep 3, 20 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

If I were eligible for the deferment and my firm were participating maybe I'd do it - hell, if the 4th quarter of this year is as good as the 2nd was, then investing a couple thousand could generate a few hundred dollars by the end of the year, and the market's weird enough lately that I might take that gamble. But the limit is 104k ($4000 biweekly.) If you make more than that, pretax, then you're not eligible for any deferment. The average worker who qualifies would take home a total of about $2200 more between now and the end of the year - but then have to pay it back during the first few months of next year. It seems like the group of people for whom this would be useful is pretty small - they'd have to be people who are currently employed, but in desperate need of more money in their pocket right now, and yet in a position and mindset to be able to pay it back in just a few months. Or, they'd have to be people who feel that the possible return on that money in the immediate stock market climate, for that fairly short investment period, is worth the risk, and the hassle of having to pay back the principal in a few months.

Sep 4, 20 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

Hence it's fucking stupid. 

Sep 8, 20 10:22 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

It's a ploy for the tiny minded, like everything Trump's handlers have him do.

Sep 8, 20 11:40 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

for and by.

Sep 9, 20 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

First day of school (junior K) for the little one today. 

Sep 8, 20 11:11 am  · 
7  · 

I juts pitched a grenade into the FLW window thread.

Sep 8, 20 3:32 pm  · 
5  · 
SneakyPete

pdx seems to be able to handle the heat

Sep 8, 20 3:42 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

That was a very gentle grenade, Donna.

Sep 8, 20 4:05 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

Grenadito?

Sep 8, 20 4:06 pm  · 
1  · 

I too tossed an explosive into that thread.

Sep 9, 20 11:25 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

frosty.

Sep 9, 20 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I am still angry at the outlet placement.

Sep 9, 20 11:56 am  · 
4  · 

Look, I think the single pane is just as dumb as the rest of you, but it's pretty clear at this point that pdx doesn't really care ... they can make a bigger fire in their fireplace if it gets frosty in the winter. They already said they're in a pretty moderate climate without big temp swings. It's a case study in why we have no hope of effectively combating climate change, but I don't think pdx is going to feel bad about it anytime soon.

Sep 9, 20 12:12 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

My 50year (ish) old living room windows are composed of 4 sliding 8mm single-pane glass sections. Considering that I have the pleasure of -40c winters, there is minimal frost.

Sep 9, 20 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Honestly, if a homeowner is okay with the higher energy expenses and potential condensation issues associated with single-pane glass, then let them have single-pane glass. It's their money.

Sep 9, 20 12:30 pm  · 
tduds

Yeah, fuck energy codes amirite.

Sep 9, 20 12:32 pm  · 
5  · 
SneakyPete

Lets continue killing the planet with billions of bad decisions defended by individual liberty.

Sep 9, 20 12:40 pm  · 
4  · 
randomised

Who knows, maybe they generate their own energy totally renewable and sustainable...the salt water of architects’ tears can be used to generate plenty of electricity, and if the sockets don’t move, those tears will be flowing forever and so will the free electricity!

Sep 9, 20 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Thing with frosting windows - it's not how much frost you have it's that you have it. The frost has a good chance of creating rot issues over time. Even in thermally broken metal windows the wood shims and sealants become degraded over time with a frost cycle.

2  · 
SneakyPete

Keep laughing, chucklehead.

1  · 

rando and sneaky just need to hook up and dispel all this sexual tension.

Sep 9, 20 1:18 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Yeah, all frustration needs to be connected to sex, right? I think you're projecting, bud.

Sep 9, 20 1:35 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

sure, it has its issues, but, ultimately, here's a guy who went to bat with his money to get an architectural feature that we all drew in school and few of us ever got to put in a house because budget or whatever the usual compromise things are...imho, better than the "critique my sketchup dreamhouse plan" bs we see here

Sep 9, 20 1:44 pm  · 
3  · 

Catherine Mohr has a 10-year-old TED talk about tradeoffs of building green. It's "ok" ... I can point out holes in her information, and we'd have plenty we probably disagree on. Regardless, the overall message is still the same that a lot of times the trivial things that get the most attention don't have the biggest impact. My guess is that if it is just the one window ... they still meet the energy code. There might be a small impact in overall energy use, but it could easily be offset by other choices. I just don't have a lot of faith that they will make those choices. 

As for individual freedom vs. greater good ... COVID-19 and the US response should be another good case study in future textbooks. I can't force pdx to put in insulating glass, nor can I force people to wear a mask. But it would be better for everyone if they could look past their individual freedom for a moment and consider the greater impact their actions have.

Sep 9, 20 1:51 pm  · 
4  · 

sneaky - you're the one with all that pent up sexual tension, not me.

Sep 9, 20 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'm in a sexually fulfilling relationship, not that it's your business, little boy.

Sep 9, 20 2:21 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Don’t know why you’d even suggest that Chad, my comment was meant in general! (“Not that there’s anything wrong with it!”)

Sep 9, 20 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

I think thou two of you protest too much.     J/K  ;)

Sep 9, 20 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I protest to that insinuation! All I did was make a little silly joke since all these architects here were criticising the poor fella from their moral high horse...I’m sure the projects they work on daily have larger carbon footprints and are more unsustainable that a single pane corner window

Sep 9, 20 3:37 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

cough... badly placed outlets in a feature corner is not a moral issue cough.

Sep 9, 20 3:39 pm  · 
2  · 
SpontaneousCombustion

For all that fuss I thought there would be some breathtaking panoramic view from that corner, not backyard and trees.

Sep 9, 20 4:46 pm  · 
4  · 

Rando - to be fair it's rather hard to have a smaller carbon footprint that a window. As for sustainable metric - that depends on how you measure sustainable.

Sep 9, 20 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Chad, that OP lives in a moderate climate...I’m sure their energy consumption and carbon footprint is below all those critical archinectors living in colder or hotter climates that use AC or heating most of the year...It is hypocritical, to say the least, also considering the work we mostly do is unsustainable in nature!

Sep 10, 20 4:19 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Exclamation point for emphasis where the sentence is lacking!

Sep 10, 20 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

Rando - WTF are you babbling about?   You can't be certain of any of that you tool.  

Sep 10, 20 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Of course I can Chad, the saline in architects’ tears can produce electricity through osmosis when forced through a special membrane, how do you not know that? That’s how Ivy League schools went carbon neutral, by increasing the snark at crits and harvesting the tears...or did you mean the stuff about energy consumption and carbon footprint? That is just logical reasoning and deduction...

Sep 12, 20 4:11 pm  · 
 · 

That's not logical reasoning and deduction. It's making assumptions.

Sep 14, 20 10:25 am  · 
 · 
randomised

In your opinion!

Sep 14, 20 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Sounds more like a grenadine, Donna.

MK2 Grenade-Red | Crossfire Wiki | Fandom

Delicious w/ lime and soda.

Oct 3, 20 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Turns out that a Klan Rally In the Rose Garden isn't a good idea.

Sep 9, 20 2:03 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Turns out - there's still a politics thread - go use it!

Sep 9, 20 2:52 pm  · 
4  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

This isn't political. And this falls under the expressed intent of thread central, as it relates to a blog post.

Sep 9, 20 3:33 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

It’s landscape architecture, not politics!

Sep 9, 20 4:08 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

I agree, it really isn't political until someone calls it a Klan rally.

Sep 9, 20 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

That’s just b3taspeak for landscape architecture

Sep 9, 20 4:29 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

"I agree, it really isn't political until someone calls it a Klan rally." 

Actually, a racist conclave is not political, anymore than a flock of pigeons is a murder. Now, if there's burning cross, on a lawn; now we're talking landscape urbanism.

Sep 9, 20 7:16 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

And now for some positive news, Trump got nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to bring peace to the Middle East. Hope it will work, his track record is better than his predecessors:

Sep 10, 20 4:57 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Again, put this shit in the politics thread.

Sep 10, 20 9:28 am  · 
3  · 
randomised

I did and tried, it is over there now, and it’s not shit. Being nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize is quite a big deal, Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela are among past winners for instance.

Sep 10, 20 9:59 am  · 
 · 

Your attempt at trolling is shit.

Sep 10, 20 10:26 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I’m very bad at trolling, that’s why I’m not doing that.

Sep 10, 20 10:30 am  · 
 · 

They you're just posting drivel to get a reaction while you pretend to practice architecture. Either way you're posting shit.

Sep 10, 20 11:11 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Why is being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize considered drivel or shit? Short fuse much?

Sep 10, 20 11:25 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

sure jan

Sep 10, 20 11:44 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

190000 us nationals deaths is not a peaceful prize

https://www.cfr.org/timeline/t...

Sep 10, 20 11:48 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

randomised, adding nothing of value to archinect since December of 2007.

Sep 10, 20 12:18 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Still, the Trump presidency is responsible for less people dead than previous American presidents, only now it is mostly the Americans themselves that are victim of their own arrogance...and not some poor schmucks in whichever country America chose to invade or bomb. For world peace this current presidency is much to be preferred.

Sep 11, 20 2:27 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Dumbest take yet

Sep 11, 20 2:31 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Maybe dumb, but true nonetheless. Haven’t seen any (unlawful) American invasions or wars since Trump became president. He is a blessing for world peace. He hates fighting wars, comes from a long line of draft evaders (apparently that’s why they fled to the US), he is a true pacifist and conscientious objector that doesn’t shy away from criticising war mongering generals and former generals or their lackeys in Washington. People say his escaping the draft shows lack of character, I think it shows the opposite!

Sep 11, 20 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

It doesn't show a lack of character, it shows his true character, which is a selfish opportunist. This may have stopped him from being involved in wars up until now, but if you assume he's some sort of principled pacifist, you're wrong.

Sep 11, 20 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Don’t know who hid that reply of mine but kudos to them for supporting presidents that start (unlawful) wars and invasions(!)

Sep 12, 20 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'll take "drawing wrong conclusions based on a bad reading of the facts" for 1,000, Alex.

Sep 12, 20 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

[French accent]SneakyPete, zéro point[/French accent]

Sep 12, 20 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

After reading more of theses forms I've come to the concision that we're doomed as a species.  

Also I need to be asking for higher pay as at least 50% of the architects in the world are untalented idiots.  

queue rando, jay, balkins, and maybe x-jla for an entertaining response. 

Sep 10, 20 2:07 pm  · 
2  · 

nah, Balkins and jla can't post on TC anymore. Jay just doesn't know what they don't know and has quite a bit to learn. As for rando ... yeah you'll get a response, but not an entertaining one.

Sep 10, 20 2:20 pm  · 
1  · 

Damn it.

Sep 10, 20 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't know about doomed. our city just extended patio licenses to march! in an effort to help local bars/restaurant generate income as social gathering restrictions slowly improve. Just think about it: it's -20c and snowing... but I head out to my local pub patio for a pint and build myself a snow fort. Now I can order drinks from my own snow igloo on the patio?

Sep 10, 20 2:28 pm  · 
3  · 
atelier nobody

The City has actually blocked of parts of the road to accommodate outdoor seating at restaurants, which was great until the smoke got too thick.

Sep 10, 20 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I wish that marine layer would come back, orange skies were odd but at least the air was merely bad as opposed to terrible.

Sep 10, 20 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

You’ll be glad to even have a job Chad, don’t push it! Not able to work with other people, you even pick fights here with Josh, and for sure not able to be in a client facing role, it is only a matter of time until you’re out the door again. Maybe first ask for more sick days or pto and see how that will go before you negotiate a better salary, the value you’re able to add to any office is dropping with every comment you post here. Agreed we are doomed as a species, lack of leadership and vision to even nudge the herd in the right direction, although COVID did lower our carbon emissions considerably and maybe even permanently in the (over) developed world.

Sep 11, 20 2:34 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Rando, you are uniquely unqualified to call out others on being annoyingly antagonistic for no good reason.

Sep 11, 20 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I didn’t flash the bat signal here...I merely answered it.

Sep 11, 20 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

The problem is YOU ARE NOT BATMAN.

Sep 11, 20 1:06 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

I was called upon, I answer...

Sep 11, 20 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

ahem

Sep 11, 20 6:44 pm  · 
3  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Love the drop shadow.

Sep 11, 20 7:09 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

EA was totally right, my response was not meant to be entertaining.

Sep 12, 20 3:49 am  · 
 · 

Rando wrote:

Oct 28, 20 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

Rando wrote:

"You’ll be glad to even have a job Chad, don’t push it! Not able to work with other people, you even pick fights here with Josh, and for sure not able to be in a client facing role, it is only a matter of time until you’re out the door again. Maybe first ask for more sick days or pto and see how that will go before you negotiate a better salary, the value you’re able to add to any office is dropping with every comment you post here."  :snip::

Odd,  the partners here disagree with your assessment.  I already work great in groups, meet and deal with clients everyday, and bring in work for the firm.  Obviously all of that can be improved upon and I doubt I'll ever stop working on myself in those areas.

I did find your comment entertaining though Rando.  It was exactly what I expected from someone like you. 

Oct 28, 20 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Jaetten

Think it's time to start my own design practice!

Sep 10, 20 2:53 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Wow. That's a huge step. I hope you find success.

Sep 10, 20 2:54 pm  · 
2  · 

Good for you Jaetten!  

I've thought about doing that myself but I don't have a mind for business and suck at marketing. Also I don't think I could handle the stress of having to find clients.  You clearly have more determination than I! 

Good Luck! 

Sep 10, 20 4:26 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Godspeed!

Sep 11, 20 2:35 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

may the farce be with you!

Sep 11, 20 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Jaetten

Thanks folks. We’ll see what happpens. Hopefully up an running towards the end of year.

Sep 20, 20 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

Alright, which one of you set up an imposter account impersonating me on Twitter? Couldn’t even get my last name right. 

Kidding, but wouldn’t put it past Balkins to do so given that I’m 99% sure he called my bosses and tried to get me fired for something I said to him on here once. 

Sep 11, 20 2:31 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

I just assumed your real last name was "The Merciless." My bad.

Sep 11, 20 3:06 pm  · 
1  · 

Actually had a math teacher call me that in middle school.

Sep 11, 20 3:06 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I hope the teacher was using it in good fun, but even so, middle school isn't a great time to make referential jokes in front of other middle schoolers.

Sep 11, 20 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I just keep expecting you to play some bass.

Sep 11, 20 3:57 pm  · 
2  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

You should see my Balkin account on Grindr.

Sep 11, 20 4:11 pm  · 
5  · 

That...is slightly terrifying, B3ta.

Sep 11, 20 4:25 pm  · 
3  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Josh, it's great, I use the discourse he leaves here, too respond to all conversations guys start with me.

Sep 11, 20 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Balkins told me he called the FBI on me, on the now-defunct ARE Forum, because I could find information that he apparently was unable to find, therefore I was a cybercriminal. I was kind of looking forward to them showing up - it would have added some intrigue to my reputation at work. Alas they never showed.

Sep 11, 20 6:00 pm  · 
8  · 
randomised

just look at that downvote...

Sep 12, 20 1:22 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

and that downvote is gone, hahaha

Sep 12, 20 4:01 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

I saw it.

Sep 12, 20 4:22 pm  · 
3  · 
awaiting_deletion

everyone hates balkins, but THEY know where you live. THEIR last name is interesting, to say the least.

Sep 12, 20 4:55 pm  · 
1  · 

Ah Balkins - the poor guy. He's clearly mentally unstable and needs help. He's stalked me online as well. I'm not going to worry unless I get a weird package in the mail . . .

Sep 14, 20 10:22 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

client line of the day -

"We saw Russian_ForeName hired you.  We noticed you're young.  That's good.  The original architect - dead.  The original contractor - dead.  We need someone to be around long enough to be liable for this shit.  That's you!"

Sep 11, 20 10:09 pm  · 
1  · 

Uh . . . . thanks?

Sep 14, 20 10:18 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

if client says - they doing legal against me - should architect start drinking or wait?  No legal against architect yet...

I think I'll drink and read some Heidegger.

Sep 11, 20 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I'll just hide and drink some Heineken.

Sep 12, 20 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Heineken goes better with Spinoza.

Sep 12, 20 3:52 pm  · 
1  · 

Just go with whiskey. More efficient. :)

Sep 14, 20 10:22 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I prefer Heisenberg over Heidegger... and Heineken for that matter...

Sep 14, 20 10:18 pm  · 
1  · 
awaiting_deletion

Whisky only goes with Hume and Locke. Now Heisenberg, that's just straight up Hefe-Weisse and then you give-up halfway, because you're uncertain - but the wheat beer is so solid - how can you not be!

Sep 14, 20 10:44 pm  · 
 · 

So I got my new broadheads for my recurve bow setup.  Took them out to the range and shot them at my broadhead target.  

I think I need a new target.  Arrow went right through the 20" thick target.

Whoops. 

Sep 14, 20 10:24 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

New home defense set up? You can now hit more than one target if they're perfectly lined up! Less arrows spent fending off the invading hoards is better for the environment!

Sep 14, 20 10:26 am  · 
1  · 

I'm not going to waste a $25 broadhead and $20 arrow on an invading hoard. This is 'Murica - our ammo is way, way less expensive.

Sep 14, 20 10:29 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

sad thumbs up

Sep 14, 20 10:32 am  · 
1  · 

The really sad thumbs up is that I'm not really a gun guy yet I own two rifles, two shotguns, and two pistols. Oh and three recurve bows. I probably have 50-100 rounds of ammo for each firearm as well.

Sep 14, 20 10:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

If you mount the riffle to the bow, could you not use the scope for both the arrow and bullets? I'm sure that would look bad-ass and would totally show those turkeys who's boss. Video games have convinced me that this is a thing.

Something like this:

r/TheSimpsons - And that's how, with a few minor adjustments, you can turn a regular gun into five guns.

...but more refined because we care about small details like nylon braided rope colours and black-anodized (or better, like black zinc-plated) finishes on the structure.

Sep 14, 20 10:45 am  · 
1  · 

That could probably work. It's called a crossbow.

Sep 14, 20 10:56 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Yes, but what, you want to be just as unoriginal as the next wanker using a stock, store-bought crossbow? How pedestrian. Side note, I'm assuming crossbows are also heavily regulated in my frozen tundra land. Recurves not so much.

edit: they are not, unless it's under 50cm or can be operated with one hand.  So, so batman grapling hooks.  

Sep 14, 20 11:01 am  · 
 · 

The odd thing is most small crossbows are weak and not able to harm / kill anything other than close range. A typical hunting crossbow is around 190 pounds of pull force and lethal out to 120 yards.

Sep 14, 20 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Do you bow hunt or just target practice? I'm interested in bowhunting for wild turkey, plentiful around here. I have a collection of firearms as well but I don't hunt (yet) and from what I have heard, broadhead arrows are the best way to get turkeys.

Sep 14, 20 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

I bow hunt. Deer and elk. Turkey would be very challenging as those birds are so twitchy they're basically on meth. For broadheads for turkeys they make some really big ones (6" cutting circle) called a guillotine. Instead of aiming at the vitals you aim at the neck and decapitate the bird.

Sep 14, 20 1:11 pm  · 
3  · 
square.

^never imagined bird decapitation being something i read about here

Sep 14, 20 2:38 pm  · 
2  · 
Bench

'Murica!
(Sorry Chad I had to)

Sep 14, 20 2:39 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

what would happen if you used that guillotine arrow head to hunt kangaroos? Or do they load-up the cross bow with sharpened boomerangs?

Sep 14, 20 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

i recently watched a documentary on Central Park's birders. Really loved the quote that birdwatching is "hunting without the bloodshed."

Sep 14, 20 2:57 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

What does that make people watching?

Sep 14, 20 2:59 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

They are twitchy but I know several bow hunters who hunt them and told me about broadhead arrows. I have a small farm so deer and turkey stop by regularly. Their body makes a big target but birdshot ruins the meat--decapitation is simpler. Wild turkey meat is excellent, if cooked properly, and they have been reintroduced here very successfully, to the point of being pests (like deer).

Sep 14, 20 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

The native turkeys out here were made extinct, and humans, never satisfied to leave their destruction unfinished, introduced non-native turkeys, which now cause problems in places where people live. Good job, humans.

Sep 14, 20 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

'Murica! 'Murica! We decapitate turkeys! Gobble gobble motherf#*ker.

Sep 14, 20 6:33 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

You'll need those blades and bullets to fend off all the disdain and derision.

Sep 14, 20 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

but Chad, we celebrate thanksgiving in the proper month: October.   Gobble gobble, sorry.

Sep 15, 20 12:09 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Heifer whines could be human cries
Closer comes the screaming knife
This beautiful creature must die
This beautiful creature must die
A death for no reason
And death for no reason is murder
And the flesh you so fancifully fry
Is not succulent, tasty or kind
It's death for no reason
And death for no reason is murder
And the calf that you carve with a smile
Is murder
And the turkey you festively slice
Is murder
Do you know how animals die?
Kitchen aromas aren't very homely
It's not "comforting", cheery or kind
It's sizzling blood and the unholy stench
Of murder
It's not "natural", "normal" or kind
The flesh you so fancifully fry
The meat in your mouth
As you savor the flavor
Of murder
No, no, no, it's murder
No, no, no, it's murder
Oh...and who hears when animals cry?

Sep 15, 20 12:42 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Tasty.

Sep 15, 20 1:08 am  · 
 · 

That's the only reason I hunt - tasty animals. Hmmm, venison and elk. Nummy.

Sep 15, 20 10:20 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Elk burgers are fantastic.

Sep 15, 20 10:22 am  · 
 · 

Yup.

Sep 15, 20 10:30 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'd like to see the size of the arrow head that can guillotine an Elk.

Sep 15, 20 10:32 am  · 
 · 

It's called a Suburban. Oh and it't technically a truck and not an arrowhead . . .

Sep 15, 20 10:34 am  · 
2  · 
square.

as long as it's not that factory-farmed industrial product...

Sep 15, 20 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Imagine a building used to raise factory-farmed elk that you can also hunt using a suburban. This sounds like a fantastic thesis idea. Who here has a parametric elk revit family I can borrow?

Sep 15, 20 10:45 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I always wondered how cows became the default factory-farm (or for that matter free-range) animal. Why not free-range bison, venison, elk, etc? I'd be much more open to ranching on public lands if the animals being ranched were indigenous to the region.

Sep 15, 20 11:17 am  · 
 · 

Cows are the most easily domesticated, grow the fastest, and require the least amount of land to product in a factory farm.

Sep 15, 20 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

They've been introduced into environments where elk used to live and their habits differ such that the environment suffers when they are let to graze. Eating less beef is a sound environmental (and personal health) decision.

Sep 15, 20 2:09 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

SP - I guess that's what I'm getting at. Why can't there be herds of deer, elk, and bison living in their natural habitats that are sustainably managed and culled for food as needed? It's a dumb rhetorical question of course, and the answer is "money" but it's still a nice thought. 

I've been a vegetarian/ pescetarian/ vegan off and on for 20 years, more on than off. I don't miss meat but I do have some very fond memories of foraging, fishing and hunting on extended backcountry trips growing up, and how amazing it all tastes in comparison to what you buy at the store.

Sep 15, 20 2:23 pm  · 
2  · 

It's because without factory ranching there is no way the US could provide enough meat. Naturally elk, deer,cows, and even chickens need a large area to graze. There simply isn't enough space for these animals to graze and produce enough meat for the demand here in the US - hence factory farming. I'm not defending factory farming, just giving a response to your question. I personally hunt / fish wild game (deer, elk, pheasant, turkey, ect) for the majority of my meat however if everyone did this there wouldn't be any wild animals left.

Sep 15, 20 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
square.

"need" is questionable, demand more accurate. if pro athletes can forgo meat, so can the average american.

Sep 15, 20 3:05 pm  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

Not to mention factory farming/ ranching is heavily subsidized by the government, whether directly or through the aforementioned access to public lands where their roaming meat and shit factories destroy the ecology even further. Capitalism is great - if you let it actually work. Meat costs everyone so much more than it appears and as has been pointed out, the "need" to eat it is artificial.

Sep 15, 20 4:02 pm  · 
1  · 

I often wonder what the world we know would look like if governments didn't subsidize certain industries and if companies had to deal with the externalities of the goods and services they produce.

Sep 15, 20 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You mean the ... free market?

Sep 15, 20 5:15 pm  · 
1  · 

Maybe for the no subsidies part, but the free market doesn't make you deal with externalities. It's a feature, not a bug if you can make someone else pay for it in the free market. 

You want to pollute? Cool, but you'll have to clean it up and restore whatever you polluted to whatever state it was in before you polluted it. If somebody gets sick from that pollution in the meantime, you're going to have to pay for their care and other consequences of being sick. 

Completely unrealistic fixing the tragedy of the commons type of thing.

Sep 15, 20 6:59 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I was being sarcastic. The free market folks love to ignore the role of government in picking winners and losers on the financial side but rails against the role of government in protecting the ecosystem and humans.

Sep 15, 20 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

I figured, but I'm sure the thumbs up you got understood that.

Sep 15, 20 7:19 pm  · 
1  · 

square wrote:

""need" is questionable, demand more accurate. if pro athletes can forgo meat, so can the average american."

I assume you where responding to the post above mine as I used the work demand.  Regardless you're splitting hairs and being a bit of an insufferable douche.

Sep 15, 20 7:20 pm  · 

I didn't take square.'s comment to be a reflection on meat consumption need vs demand, though I can see that might be what was meant by it. I thought it was in reference to Chad's statement that, "Naturally elk, deer,cows, and even chickens need a large area to graze." In other words, these animals demand a certain amount of resources. It we want to free up those resources we need to eat them less. That's probably because I was already thinking of the commons.

Sep 15, 20 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

Chad, by the way, I think your statement, "I personally hunt / fish wild game (deer, elk, pheasant, turkey, ect) for the majority of my meat however if everyone did this there wouldn't be any wild animals left," is excellent. It could be the jumping off point for a seminar on sustainability at any number of colleges with students who come from rural, more traditionally conservative areas.

Sep 15, 20 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Nobody needs to eat meat in the developed world in this day and age...talking about sustainability when killing animals just because they taste nice. I don’t get it. All those meatlovin’ hunters should hunt each other, now that would be sustainable ;-)

Sep 16, 20 2:23 am  · 
2  · 
square.

chad, must be a sensitive subject. your reaction is common though, and it's why i'm skeptical people will change their eating habits in time to help reduce the massive amounts of carbon emission the current unsustainable demand for meat creates (also, historically humans did not consume much meat, and my point about athletes isn't splitting hairs, it's that humans in the 21st century can easily live off an entirely plant based diet, which would be infinitely better for the planet).

to be fair, i was trying to credit your willingness to go get it yourself as more sustainable in one way, because most soft modern people who expect everything to be given to them are not willing to do that and would probably forgo meat altogether rather than having to decapitate their own turkeys.

Sep 16, 20 9:10 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

EA, I'm with you regarding the free market.

I agree that meat is not a necessity, and don't eat a lot of it. Much of what I do eat I raise myself with relatively sustainable means, or friends and family do. Knowing my meat is challenging at slaughter time but feeling uncomfortable about taking a life is a good balance to the pleasure (and nutrients) of eating meat. 

When wild animals like turkey and deer don't have wild predators, they become nuisances and suffer in our long, cold winters. Decapitating a wild animal with an arrow is about the most humane way that any animal dies, and they get to live a free life instead of suffering in a CAFO. 

I am cultivating an interest in growing and hunting mushrooms, to further reduce my desire for meat, and to reduce my carbon footprint. 

Sep 16, 20 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Can you hunt for mushrooms using a guillotine arrows?

Sep 16, 20 10:47 am  · 
2  · 

The reason this hit a nerve with me is that your comment ignores a few things.

Sep 16, 20 11:14 am  · 
 · 

It's not really a sensitive subject for me - I'm all for vegetarian protein sources. There are a few issues that people tend to gloss over though . . . 

1. Around 35% - 45% of world population is 100% vegetarian. 

2. Nearly no plant based protein is complete and requires multiple different sources to make it complete for human use. Nothing wrong with that. 

3. The current production of plant based protein required to feed the world complete protein sources would not be able to meet the need of the world population if everyone became vegetarian. There would need to be a huge increase in production and this would mean more factor farming and resource usage. While a plant based diet uses less resources than a meat based diet the actual reduction in resources used would only be about 15% compared to meat production. Sadly a 15% reduction in resources doesn't translate to a reduced environmental impacts. The environmental impacts of going to a 100% plant based diet for the world using factory farms is only reduced 5% compared to meat production. This is a problem that need to be addressed and is my biggest concern. 

4. Veg diet is high in carbohydrates. Not an issue for some people but if you're like me and am a type 1 diabetic it's nearly impossible to get enough protein without consuming over 300 grams of carb a day. Not something most people need to worry about but some of us do. 

Like I said before, I'm not against a vegetarian diet. It's just that there are still issue we need to figure out and it bugs me when people overlook these issues.

Sep 16, 20 11:37 am  · 

Non Sequitur wrote: 

"Can you hunt for mushrooms using a guillotine arrows?"

Better be a humongous fungus else you're not going to have much left to eat.  Maybe better to hunt with a piggy . . .

Sep 16, 20 11:39 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

That would need to be one huge bow.

Sep 16, 20 11:44 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I don't do much mushroom hunting but do take a big knife and a folding saw when looking for Reishi, which is easy to identify and a good medicinal. On rare occasions I've found chaga, an amazing medicinal fungus. (Not in a fun way, but in an anti-cancer way.)

The spot I have scoped out for a future mushroom yard (for growing shiitake and oyster mushrooms) is also where deer and turkey like to hang out. So maybe guillotine arrows for defense, instead of offense. 

Sep 16, 20 11:45 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, how do you hold down the pig long-enough to fit it in the bow and fire?

Sep 16, 20 11:50 am  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

I'm happy to see Chad seamlessly taking Rick's place in TC as spouter of bullshit they know nothing about.

Sep 16, 20 11:54 am  · 
2  · 
square.

yes.. that point #3 is highly suspect, considering it takes about 1,800 gallons of water to produce 1lb of beef,including the plants required to feed it.. (here's s source for my data, by the way: https://foodprint.org/reports/the-foodprint-of-beef/?bid=7858#easy-footnote-bottom-20-1580)

Sep 16, 20 12:52 pm  · 
3  · 
square.

i only bring this up because many architects i know aspire to be sustainable/whatever you want to call it with buildings while chowing down on burgers and meat for multiple meals a day. most of you here seem to limit your consumption though, which is great.

Sep 16, 20 12:54 pm  · 
1  · 

JLC-1 - I get what you're saying however your link is about food waste and isn't disproving that resources and environmental impact won't be reduced to to the point that environmental damage won't be done by the world going to a plant based or vegetarian diet.

Sep 16, 20 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

To the rest of you - I don't disagree with you however there is one major fact that your sources aren't mentioning and that is they are all assuming two important factors: 

1.  That anything grown won't be done using factory farming on an industrial scale.  When factory farming is used there is still a large amount of resources used and pollution created to the point that climate disaster would still be in our future because of this. 

2.  That food waste would be reduced substantially. 

Again, I'm not against eating vegetarian or plant based diets.  Probably 50% my protein consumption is from those sources.  

Sep 16, 20 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
square.

assuming one is replacing the other, it's completely irrational to think that factory farming vegetables is worse for the environment than factory farming animals. guess what those animals eat?

Sep 16, 20 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
square.

honestly chad this idea is a new one to me- i've never heard anyone argue that plant-based diets are worse for the environment, but i shouldn't be surprised considering the number of climate deniers out there. learn something new everyday!

Sep 16, 20 3:02 pm  · 
 · 

I apologize if that's how my comments read. That is not what I meant to convey. Meat production is the absolute worst for the environment, especially when done in factory farms. What I am saying is that the world going to a vegetarian or plant based diet will still cause a great deal of environmental damage when done with factory farming practices. Realistically factory farming would still be required to feed the worlds population even if we all went to a vegetarian or plant based diet. The amount of environmental damage would be the least in a plant based diet however it is still enough to cause global warming but at a much reduced rate compared to the race to the end we're on now.

Sep 16, 20 3:13 pm  · 
1  · 

Non Sequitur wrote:

"Chad, how do you hold down the pig long-enough to fit it in the bow and fire?"

Specialty trained pigs.  Also CBD oil.  A lot of CBD oil.  

Sep 16, 20 3:14 pm  · 
1  · 

archanonymous wrote: 

"I'm happy to see Chad seamlessly taking Rick's place in TC as spouter of bullshit they know nothing about."

I could very well be wrong.  Please provide data that factory farming for a vegetarian or plant based diet for the worlds population won't produce negative impacts on the environment and cause detrimental climate change?

Again, I'm not against a vegetarian or plant based diet - it's just that the data I've consumed says it's a cure all for the environmental impacts and resource depletion of factory farming to fee the world. 

Sep 16, 20 3:15 pm  · 
1  · 

To be fair, I don't think Chad is arguing that square., rather he's arguing that it isn't all that much better and there will still be issues to deal with. Edit: I can see that Chad beat me to the punch.

Plus, I thought I'd throw this out there to stir the pot a little. The following is from the wikipedia page for The Omnivore's Dilemma under the heading "On veganism": 

"Pollan argues that to 'give up' human consumption of animals would lead to a 'food chain…even more dependent than it already is on fossil fuels and chemical fertilizers since food would need to travel even farther and fertility—in the form of manures—would be in short supply'. Given that, according to Pollan, other than raising ruminants for human consumption, no viable alternatives exist in such grassy areas, for growing any grains or other plant foods for human consumption."

Sep 16, 20 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

Of course, he has also written (emphasis mine): 

"Meat eating may have become an act riddled with moral and ethical ambiguities, but eating a steak at the end of a short, primordial food chain comprising nothing more than ruminants and grass and sunlight is something I’m happy to do and defend. The same is true for a pastured chicken or hog. When obtained from small farms where these animals are treated well, fed an appropriate diet, and generally allowed to express their creaturely character, I think the benefits of eating such meat outweigh the cost. A truly sustainable agriculture will involve animals, in order to complete the nutrient cycle, and those animals are going to be killed and eaten.

"That said, I have the ultimate respect for vegetarians and vegans. For they have actually done the work of thinking through the consequences of their eating decisions, something most of the rest of us have not done. My own examination of those consequences has led me to the conclusion that eating a small amount of meat from certain kinds of farms is something I can feel good about. But we all have to decide this question for ourselves, and different people will come to different conclusions, depending on their values."

Sep 16, 20 3:21 pm  · 
3  · 

What EA said . . .

Sep 16, 20 3:21 pm  · 
2  · 
square.

yes, i understand your last post more clearly, that even if we switch it's important to think about how the farming is done, which is why organic and non-gmo farming is so important, etc.

Sep 16, 20 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Factory farming is not necessarily that bad and actually more efficient, to the point that it is better for the environment or the planet than other ways of farming! You will need to allocate much less land, energy and resources to feed a certain amount of people. Now, when you feed plants to those people directly rather than first giving those plants to animals in other factory farms to turn those plants into meat, that is even more efficient! That land not being used for growing crops for animals can be used for other things, cutting out the middle man(animals), that land can be turned back into nature, capturing carbon in the trees etc.

Sep 16, 20 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

Factory farming is by it's very nature a bad thing when it comes to environmental damage and resource depletion. It's about the vast amount of resources needed over a short period of time for production, transportation of these resources, waste produced and transported, and distribution of the final product over a wide area that cause the most environmental damage and resource depletion. 

Organic and non GMO food still uses factory farming techniques and unless they are produced using environmentally friendly processes, in smaller quantities using only local ingredients and distributed locally can cause a great amount environmental damage.

Organic and non GMO food do not have to do any of the above things to gain the aforementioned labels.  Just because a thing is organic and non GMO doesn't mean it's environmentally friendly.

Sep 16, 20 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
square.

got it, but what's your battle here? if you're so concerned about the impacts of farming and diet on climate, you wouldn't be eating meat. even the "good stuff," pasture/grass raised, is in many ways worse for the environment because it's much more land and resource intensive. factory farming animals is way more efficient. i guess i find it a strange hill to die on, going after organic farming and non gmo food.

sure, solar panels have resource considerations in terms of their production, but we still should put our attention to ending the use of fossil fuels before deriding a better system.

Sep 16, 20 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

non-organic and GMO is not necessarily a bad thing either. Lots of undeserved hype with labels on both sides of the fence here.

Sep 16, 20 4:16 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

The problem with factory farming of all types is that it's an extractive industry, run like any factory, dependent on inputs to keep the cycle going. True organic agriculture (not USDA organic), sometimes called beyond-organic, feeds and builds the soil. There is a minor health benefit from reduced pesticides and higher nutrient levels, and usually better taste as well, but the real idea is to feed the soil. No industrial farming feeds the soil; it treats the soil as a medium to hold the plants upright. Randomized, growing feed corn and soy is not the same as growing marketable vegetables. More resources of all types are needed to grow vegetables.

Sep 16, 20 4:34 pm  · 
2  · 

square. got it, but what's your battle here? if you're so concerned about the impacts of farming and diet on climate, you wouldn't be eating meat. even the "good stuff," pasture/grass raised, is in many ways worse for the environment because it's much more land and resource intensive. factory farming animals is way more efficient. i guess i find it a strange hill to die on, going after organic farming and non gmo food.

Sep 16, 20 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

square. wrote

‘got it, but what's your battle here?’ 

Correct information. Simple as that.

‘ if you're so concerned about the impacts of farming and diet on climate, you wouldn't be eating meat. even the "good stuff," pasture/grass raised, is in many ways worse for the environment because it's much more land and resource intensive. 

‘ You’re right. That’s why I hunt to provide myself meat that’s not from a factory farm 

‘factory farming animals is way more efficient.’ 

Yes, however it still causes a great amount of environmental damage and resource depletion. All the feed needs to be grown and shipped in from somewhere to feed all that livestock and it’s not coming from a field across the road from the ranch. 

‘i guess i find it a strange hill to die on, going after organic farming and non gmo food.’

I disagree. Again, its about correct information. Just because a food is organic and non gmo doesn’t mean it’s not causing environmental damage and resource depletion. Any factory farmed food has a large negative impact on the environment and resource depletion. Take organic and non gmo foods – they are allowed to chemically engineered pesticides that have known health and environmental damages.

Sep 16, 20 4:56 pm  · 
1  · 
square.

you're telling me 100% of the meat you eat is meat you hunt? nothing bought on a free-range farm? if so, much of my point is moot for you personally. but on a large scale this isn't sustainable for everyone to do, which circles back to my other points.. also to be clear, i'm not advocating for factory farming. just pointing out that's it's much more efficient in some ways (not always a good thing)

Sep 16, 20 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
square.

i hope you're growing all your own non-gmo, organic, pesticide-free non-commercial-soil vegetables too...

Sep 16, 20 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Guess my understanding of factory farming isn’t what it is...

Sep 16, 20 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

square - I never said that I get all my meat from hunting. I get about 200 pounds of meat a year from hunting though. I just prefer it that way. My point is that organic and non gmo food doesn't mean it's good / better for you or the planet when they come from most factory farms.

You seem to have swung wildly around on this topic.  You started off criticizing my comment that eating a vegetarian or plant based diet isn't necessarily as good for the environment as people think it is.  Now you're defending factory farming and pissed that I dare say anything bad about organic and non gmo foods.

Sep 16, 20 6:00 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

I think you guys agree on more than that which you disagree.

Sep 16, 20 6:08 pm  · 
3  · 
square.

i agree sneaky. chad, i'm mostly responding to your lengthy point by point rebuttals to each one of my posts. i tried to end this by agreeing earlier.. i'm not swinging wildly, i clearly said that i'm not a proponent of factory farming (please read above, you forgot to quote those parts!) but that in some cases it's ironically more efficient than free-range in terms of land use when it comes to animals. was very clear on that.

i guess i'm trying to reconcile your animosity towards plant based farming over animal farming, which the solar analogy was about; in my mind animal production is responsible for far more carbon emission than plant-based farming, so it's a bigger problem to address.

Sep 16, 20 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
square.

this should have ended here- i think i was confused with rando for promoting factory farming.

i hate the internet..

Sep 16, 20 6:42 pm  · 
1  · 

It's ok square. It can be difficult in a form like this to keep track of things.

Sep 16, 20 6:47 pm  · 
2  · 

This got a bit out of hand with hunting, didn’t it?

Here’s something better - several pant sizes and a shirt size down since surgery. 

Sep 16, 20 10:12 pm  · 
13  · 
citizen

That's great, Josh. How are you feeling, energy-wise, etc?

Sep 16, 20 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

-20 lbs so far...heart issues on my end, good as long as I only pretty much eat meat! Did you know when you WFH, you won't even get to a mile in a day stepwise.

Sep 16, 20 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Change the clothes, keep the belt. Put new notches in it.

Sep 16, 20 10:43 pm  · 
3  · 

Ratchet belt - no holes, cut off the end as needed. As far as energy goes, definitely get a bit fatigued in the afternoons which will probably stick around for a few more weeks.

Sep 16, 20 11:20 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Do not cut off the belt end! That's the living trophy you carry around with you.

Sep 16, 20 11:54 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

Cheers Josh.

Sep 16, 20 11:58 pm  · 
2  · 

Way to go Josh! As others have said keep the larger belts, wear them as bandoleers to hold AD markers in the future when you loose more weight! You got this!

Sep 17, 20 10:16 am  · 
 · 

On a side note I don't think it was about hunting but something to do with vegetarianism and plant based diets. ;) 

Sep 17, 20 10:16 am  · 
 · 
tduds

"Did you know when you WFH, you won't even get to a mile in a day stepwise." You do if you have a puppy. 

Also, great progress Josh! Happy to see you're doing well and also posting here again.

Sep 17, 20 12:12 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

wait, hold up. You are still wearing pants these days?

Sep 17, 20 12:34 pm  · 
2  · 

If I worked from home I wouldn't wear pants.

Sep 17, 20 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I say 'yes' belt, 'no' pants. Problem solved.

Sep 17, 20 12:41 pm  · 
2  · 

I am not wearing pants at home, just workout shorts. However my first week back in the office is next week (we’re doing half one week, half the next)

Sep 17, 20 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

So yes to a belt but no pants for the in office stuff next week?

Sep 17, 20 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

I’m wearing jorts to the office.

Sep 17, 20 2:11 pm  · 
1  · 

With a belt?

Sep 17, 20 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I wore red pants to the office yesterday

Sep 17, 20 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

You're Canadian though - you wear and do all types of weird stuff.

Sep 17, 20 2:25 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I... yes, I certainly do.

Sep 17, 20 2:29 pm  · 
1  · 

I did buy some orange chinos because they were on clearance and will only fit for a few weeks so why the hell not?

Sep 17, 20 2:38 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

you could make orange your new color... isn't there an industrial designer who dresses only in orange?

Sep 17, 20 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I just bought some orange cheetos, and if you're not careful that orange becomes your new color whether you like it or not.

Sep 17, 20 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

Red, if you go flaming hot.

Sep 17, 20 4:36 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

I love orange pants. Have a few, but been switching to more ochre / yellow lately. My wife hates orange. Funny since we're both redheads.

Sep 17, 20 4:36 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I'd strongly recommend buying cheap white jeans (usually on sale at the end of the season to the tune of 5 bucks since dudes don't buy white pants all that frequently) and dyeing them yourself with whatever color you want. I have a spectrum of pants.

Sep 17, 20 5:08 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Spectrum of Pants would be a good album name

Sep 17, 20 5:33 pm  · 
5  · 

I’m glad Balkins can’t post in TC, he would have ruined this with a history of pants.

Sep 17, 20 5:52 pm  · 
7  · 
archanonymous

SP - do your legs end up being colorful the day after you wear them?

Sep 17, 20 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Painters pants are white. My husband wears them a lot. :)

Sep 17, 20 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

No, and they haven't faded or stained my other laundry either. Rit sells a dye set that works really well.

Sep 17, 20 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

i used to dye my skateboard wheels with Rit, love the stuff!

Sep 17, 20 6:18 pm  · 
1  · 

"Why don't you go and put your trousers on?" 

"Alright, hold your horses. Head! Pants! Now!"

Sep 17, 20 6:19 pm  · 
3  · 
citizen

Don't you just love that information superhighway thingy?

Khaki Pants, Khakis & Chinos: A Classic Style Staple — Gentleman's Gazette
Sep 17, 20 7:15 pm  · 
5  · 

Photoshop that into a circle with the feet toward the center and you've got the "Spectrum of Pants" album label for the vinyl and CD.

Sep 17, 20 7:32 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

All I notice now are the boring white and blue shirts.

Sep 18, 20 2:19 am  · 
 · 

Josh Mings wrote: 

"I’m glad Balkins can’t post in TC, he would have ruined this with a history of pants."

You sir win the internet for the rest of the week. 

::bows in appreciation::

Sep 18, 20 10:05 am  · 
4  · 

Stupid pants are smaller than the same size pants I had in my closet. Gotta wait a few weeks to wear orange pants (or go with a muffin top....I choose the former)

Sep 18, 20 2:34 pm  · 
2  · 

Hunting, decapitating turkeys, industrial agriculture, vegetarianism and veganism and their environmental effects one day ... then belts, pants, weight loss, dyeing clothing yourself the next day. 

Common throughout, Simpsons memes. 

Don't ever change TC. Don't. Ever. Change.

Sep 17, 20 5:25 pm  · 
11  · 

I think we may have exhausted our 'weird' topics for a while. Give me a few weeks and I'm sure something interesting will happen that I can post about and bring another whirlwind of interesting if not disjointed discussion. Also more Simpson memes.

Sep 18, 20 10:04 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I have an unlimited supply of weird topics, I just don't want to freak you all out.

Sep 18, 20 10:20 am  · 
4  · 

Freak away . . .

Sep 18, 20 10:27 am  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

2020 just got worse.

Sep 18, 20 7:47 pm  · 
1  ·  4
curtkram

i can't even, and i don't know how to move forward anymore

Sep 18, 20 8:41 pm  · 
1  ·  1
tduds

I saw the sun for the first time in 10 days. I was happy for 20 minutes.

Sep 18, 20 8:42 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Hearty chuckle at thumbs-downing your own post.

Sep 18, 20 8:42 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

My wife put on Tom Waits' "Bawlers" as soon as she got the news. So that's how we're doing.

Sep 18, 20 8:47 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I hope you and your wife are safe, tduds.

Sep 18, 20 9:18 pm  · 
1  · 

I got put in Twitter jail for telling Mitch to go jump off a cliff. That’s a Midwest colloquialism for GTFO

Sep 18, 20 9:54 pm  · 
6  · 
awaiting_deletion

don't be such cowards.

Sep 18, 20 10:10 pm  · 
tduds

Thanks Pete - we're good, in the grand scheme of things. The smoke has finally cleared the valley (thanks to some spectacular overnight thunderstorms that woke us up at 3am) and at least that catastrophe is behind us.

Sep 18, 20 11:28 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

We almost never get lightning in the PNW, and our house has a fantastic view to the north from a hilltop. So it was a rare treat to lay awake in bed with the curtains open and watch the storm roll through. Cathartic, in a way, even if I was exhausted this morning.

Sep 18, 20 11:30 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I miss thunderstorms so much, one of my favorite phenomena.

Sep 19, 20 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I got this last night, before I found out;

https://surlybrewing.com/beer/...

Sep 19, 20 7:37 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

Chug it. You might feel better, you might puke.

Sep 19, 20 8:43 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Split up over two nights.

Sep 19, 20 8:57 pm  · 
1  · 
awaiting_deletion

wise man...but when you puke the demons are released...are you blasting Witch House when drinking that?

Sep 19, 20 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Buncha lightweights in here

Sep 19, 20 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Whatcha talking?

Sep 19, 20 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Wife is out of town so today's been weed / weed / weed / 2 pints of 7.5% IPA / weed / 2 glasses of wine / probably more weed before bed.... I walked 5 miles and got tons of non-work work done around the house today. Work hard AND play hard.

Sep 20, 20 12:30 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

only when the wife is out of town?

Sep 20, 20 1:22 am  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

randomised - no, not really. But a solo weekend is good from time to time

Sep 20, 20 2:43 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Love a good bachelor weekend - eat trash food and listen to all the music my wife hates. I'm so simple.

Sep 21, 20 12:24 pm  · 
4  · 
Jaetten

So, after a 2hr hike this morning, go up the single track 50mph road home and lords behold, a hgv REVERSING onto another 50mph road via a blind junction and no banksman. 

Sep 20, 20 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I've never driven a tractor trailer truck, but have spent a fair amount of time towing a construction trailer. It SUCKS to get stuck in a position where your only option is to back out into traffic. No truck driver does it on purpose--only when they don't know the area, GPS or other directions have taken them astray. When I see a driver in that position I know they don't want to be there and will often stop and put my flashers on to warn other drivers.

Sep 21, 20 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Jaetten

He was following sat nav, it tried to take him down narrow winding roads. I backed up into a passing place, but he go out and shouted for me to pass him, just enough space to do it. I presume he didn't want to risk a collision. Once you get to the top of the hill, there's a no entry for 7.5t+ sign, but you have to go all the way up to see the sign. He did get out fine. Hopefully the junction will be getting a no hgv sign and a mirror for emerging traffic. We'll see!

Sep 21, 20 9:59 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: