Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Peter Dow (of the bridge collapse thread) is an astounding character. 

Despite an overwhelming amount of self-created controversy (to put it mildly) this guy keeps fanning his own flames. I've never seen anything like it.

His attitude seems to be 

Damn the torpodes - full speed ahead!

despite the fact that he launched all of them.

Apr 6, 18 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

that guy, balkins level +1 crazy.

Apr 7, 18 7:15 am  · 
 · 

Ricky plays Little League - Dow plays in the majors.

Apr 7, 18 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier
I don’t think Sonna Dink’s thread made it past the admins... Pity. There was some good stuff in it.
Apr 7, 18 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Do any of you guys ever run background checks? Specifically, to see if they have sued any previous architect?

Apr 7, 18 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Doesn’t show up if it was mediated or arbitrated. I’d see about asking people who previously worked with them, did they get paid on time ect.

Apr 7, 18 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Thanks, the guy just moved here. I do need to check his references from where he was previously, good idea.

Apr 7, 18 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Now, how to ask for such a thing without sounding suspicous?

Apr 7, 18 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

Start with a deep google search, it's often surprising what you can turn up. One develops a good sense of smell after a while - if you have doubts your intuition is probably correct.

Always structure your deals so you that don't get far behind, never release work without payment in full to date, and have a clear exit clause so that if they start jerking you around it's adios.

Apr 7, 18 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

It's not suspicious. He might very well ask for your references. It also puts him on notice that you won't take any bullshit.

Apr 7, 18 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Thanks Miles.

Apr 7, 18 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Ug, I can't give details but yes, humans. Ug.

Apr 7, 18 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

On subject of background checks, this has come up recently in our office because, being Canadian, we have a steady stream of applicants from conflict regions. All of us require basic security clearance just to have access to projects while others (such as yours truly) need secret level. We're not sure how to ask applicants if they can foresee any issues with them passing basic security clearance.

Apr 11, 18 8:45 am  · 
 · 

Secret level? Are you working on a facility for Labatt?

Apr 11, 18 8:59 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You need to be careful indeed, Pakistan got their atomic bomb "thanks" to the Netherlands. Abdul Qadeer Khan, a former exchange student from the TU Delft, stole the necessary nuclear technology from his Dutch employer: https://www.delta.tudelft.nl/article/tu-delfts-dr-strangelove

Apr 11, 18 9:05 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles... if I told you, I'd have.. wait, I hear helicopters.

Apr 11, 18 9:05 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

NS.... like most things, it is best done in a straightforward way. "You will need to pass a basic security clearance screening, if x, y, or z is true, you may not pass and should reconsider your application for employment"

Apr 12, 18 11:05 am  · 
 · 
randomised

But people lie...

Apr 12, 18 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
My wonderful nephew proposed to his wonderful girlfriend yesterday and she said yes. I’m ridiculously excited for this!
Apr 11, 18 8:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

are we invited to the wedding, and, not related at all, but will it be open bar?

Apr 11, 18 8:41 am  · 
 · 
randomised

wonderful!

Apr 11, 18 8:57 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

What about an outdoor wedding? Astroturf and plastic flowers.

Apr 12, 18 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Good morning! Catching up on the week's gossiping. Holy crap you guys. 

Apr 14, 18 10:23 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i'm out of touch. i know trump interrupted tv last night, but i couldn't take more than a word or two before i left the room. anything else i should know?

Apr 14, 18 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

trump who?

Apr 14, 18 11:25 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

we start next week with a new moon.  new moons mean new beginnings.

Apr 14, 18 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sounds good to me.

Apr 14, 18 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Perfect timing! Just gave notice at my current job.

Apr 15, 18 10:45 am  · 
 · 

Congrats archanon! Where are you off to?

Apr 15, 18 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Thanks Donna! I don't think I want to say publicly with some of the recent activities on the forum... I value my anonymity under this account. Suffice it to say its an amazing female owned firm. PM me though, or I think you have my personal email?

Apr 16, 18 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I discovered a new drink, a French martini. Ah hah! It's Martini Monday guys. Taxes are done!

Apr 16, 18 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What's in it and is it better than this "california common" brew I have at my desk?

Apr 16, 18 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Vodka, Chambor, and pineapple juice. It's girly, but good. Edit: not that martinis have genders, they are free to choose and be gender fluid too.

Apr 16, 18 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

hey, keep your politics away from TC. 8-)

Apr 16, 18 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The martini is offended.

Apr 16, 18 10:33 pm  · 
 · 

At least it's NOT gin.

Apr 16, 18 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I just discovered there's a ton of booze at my desk, and i'm only here for a few more days so I gotta drink it.

Apr 17, 18 9:10 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Gin is delicious... Tanq10 or Hendricks or GTFO

Apr 17, 18 9:54 am  · 
 · 

When I had drinks with Peter Bohlin FAIA he ordered a Cosmopolitan, which I always thought of as a girly drink, but he ordered it so severely and minimally that he changed my mind.

Apr 17, 18 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Im always surprised when people raise eyebrows at my ordering a Manhattan. I always associated it with mobsters, but apparently theres a feminine perception to it? Whatever. Love me a some good Canadian rye, and its the only reliable whiskey cocktail i know of.

Apr 17, 18 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The only reliable whiskey cocktail is Whiskey.

Apr 17, 18 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

...recently purchased a bottle of The Yamazaki - Single Malt Japanese Whiskey...

DID YOU DRINK IT?

Apr 17, 18 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

There is just no way 5% of the population dies every year.

Apr 18, 18 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I made up a drink called sir apple chrissy. A girly one. Apple schnapps, sour, whiskey, club soda, and a stick of cinnamon.

Apr 17, 18 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I need sensitivity training.

Apr 18, 18 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Do you use the cinnamon stick as a straw?

Apr 18, 18 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

No, the cinnamon stick is used as a cigar. It isn't even in the drink.

Apr 18, 18 10:35 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i wonder if the dialogue would make more sense if you switched screen names when talking to yourself?

Apr 27, 18 9:33 pm  · 
 · 

You all should stop hating on gin. Get some good stuff (Letherbee's, Death's Door, Finn's Gin, Reykjavik Distillery's Eineberja). 

Apr 18, 18 10:02 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hendricks or GTFO.

Apr 18, 18 10:08 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I overdid gin and tonics in college. They were 75 cents at a certain dive bar.

Apr 18, 18 10:26 am  · 
 · 

Hendricks is also a great gin. I really miss the one from Reykjavik distillery. Haven't replaced it yet since air freight costs are as much as a bottle.

Apr 18, 18 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Think i've mentioned this before but its still a good shout. Try Ungava from the Canadian arctic; really good stuff.

Apr 18, 18 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I way overdid G&Ts in grad school and somehow I'm still not sick of 'em.

Apr 18, 18 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Hendricks G&T with a cucumber slice.

Apr 18, 18 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

speaking of gin... whatever happened to the hammered thread???

Apr 18, 18 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

How do you spell it?

Apr 18, 18 10:57 pm  · 
 · 

Our state Bar Association is having a "Free Will Event" at community center in my neighborhood tonight. What do you think they'll talk about?!

Apr 18, 18 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Whales.

Apr 18, 18 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

How people don't qualify for the "free" part but should sign up the sharks now to do their wills.

Apr 18, 18 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Are you free to choose if or if not you attend? Did I freely wrote that sentence? What about this one? The hole gets deeper... did I choose to dig it? No... no, dig up stupid.

Apr 19, 18 7:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

*write*. Silly iPhone. I freel
y chose to not correct my post.

Apr 19, 18 7:41 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Got a call from a headhunter today, asking me what kind of work I might be interested in doing, because he had a need for a PM/PA. I told him, let me tell you what I'm not interested in doing; prisons.

Him: well you might not be interested in this role, they have a need for detention centers, etc.

Me: I'm not interested in doing work for ICE.

Apr 19, 18 12:19 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My very first real project was an ICE detention center. It was called INS back then though.

Apr 19, 18 10:41 am  · 
 · 

Jails and detention centers are a growth industry. They're planning ahead for massive civilian uprisings.

Apr 19, 18 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Probably planning ahead to incarcerate all those architects who issue stamped PDFs according to Ricky's latest ramblings.

Apr 19, 18 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

wait, that baller is still here? god, that change really does the trick.

Apr 20, 18 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm not that fond of fishing.

Apr 22, 18 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

Hi TC, I've been missing you all! Felt compelled to share below, via the 2018 Sony World Photography Awards.

Also, re: gin. Been a big fan of sipping Old Tom gin for a few years now. Specifically, Ransom Spirits' version...

Apr 20, 18 12:55 am  · 
 · 

Is it just me or is the horse stoned? Awesome photo!

The gin bar near me (Scofflaw, named one of the best cocktail bars in the country in some magazine) has a great Old Tom gin. 

Apr 20, 18 10:35 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

emulating Prince with a little bit of jon bon jovi...

Apr 20, 18 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Looks like the wolf got zapped.

Apr 20, 18 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

Yaaa!

Apr 20, 18 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Missing posts returned.

Apr 21, 18 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

All of that was bizarre. Scary, too, to see his/her/its wingnuttiness coddled .

Apr 22, 18 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Only now in that Shitty-thread with half the conversation gone.. it looks like I'm talking to myself like some kind of mad person.

Apr 20, 18 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Ah well, shit happens.

Apr 20, 18 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I talk to myself... sometimes I need an expert opinion...

Apr 20, 18 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

I talk to myself ... sometimes I need a contrary opinion.

Apr 20, 18 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

I don't talk to myself because it always just ends up in an argument.

Apr 21, 18 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
“””1991”

someone’s having a mental breakdown 

Apr 22, 18 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Do any of you do your own structural engineering? I'm talking about a single family residential, a straight-forward type of building. If so, how did you learn? I want to hire a structural engineer who will do the first one or two for me and then teach me. Is that realistic? Can anyone here do that for me or know someone who would?

Apr 22, 18 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You do all the drawings, details, and specs too? Want to help me?

Apr 22, 18 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You want to teach everybody on a thread? That sounds like fun!

Apr 22, 18 11:24 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Tintt, in Denver you want Kyle Schurter and Robbie? At KL&A. Inexpensive, especially for simple projects and we're always happy to talk bigger picture principals, rules of thumb, check work, etc...

Apr 22, 18 11:46 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Were rather than "we are", I'm not them.

Apr 22, 18 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Awesome, archanonymous. Thanks!

Apr 22, 18 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Chrissy, I'm open to it. I'll talk to the rest of the team. (can I call you chrissy? probably shouldn't.)

Apr 22, 18 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

If you want to send me a pm you can tell them who sent you but it shouldn't matter, they are serious professionals over there.

Apr 22, 18 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I sent you an email, sir.

Apr 22, 18 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

This is an awesome idea, thanks tintt & Chrissy ! I have a "back-pocket" structural engineer that I've used to double-check my gut in various small renovation settings, and with a bigger renovation coming up I was actually thinking the same thing as you -- asking if he'd walk me through some basic rules of thumb for being able to start sizing things on my own. He's shared a bunch of basic guidelines on previous projects (and of course, using the wood frame span charts and stuff gets you a lot of the way there -- when in doubt, oversize (haha)) which has helped me feel more confident in my own quick analyses. Would be great to have a little crash course in this from Chrissy, thanks!

Apr 22, 18 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yay! I'll see if I can make it work!

Apr 23, 18 9:32 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

This is a neat idea. On the rare occasion where I've done residential moonlighting, I did all the calcs myself using the guides available in my national and provincial codes. Basic span tables, concrete and rebar specs, etc. If you don't deviate, the code examiner typically does not ask questions and I would purposefully undersized something obvious to attract their attention and make them believe they did their job. I used to know truss design and would love to pick it back up again. Just been about 14y since I've had to do one.

Apr 23, 18 9:38 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yeah, my plan was to not deviate to make it easy. So design is one part, then I'm guessing there are submittals and inspections too. I don't know that part at all. hmmm

Apr 23, 18 9:46 am  · 
 · 
mantaray
Yes tinty most municipalities make you submit your calcs for review--that's the tricky part. So far the stuff I've sized has been for off-permit work so no worries--but I have one coming up that will need legit calcs.

Curious Chrissy--what do you have to do with trusses? I imagined they would be the easiest bc as long as you list your required live and dead loads correctly, the truss manufacturer figures out the trusses AND provides calcs as part of their delivery. Are you doing anything more than that?
Apr 23, 18 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Have you seen the software that shows trusses like a heat map? Tension is red, compression is blue.

Apr 25, 18 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin
mightyaa

I'll pop out of past...  Didn't see my post to Tintt's, but I used Strucalc for most of my smaller projects along the lines of small additions or renovations.  Great little program that let me play around and try a lot of different things.  I also used to it to predesign reasonable structures during schematic phases so I had the space allocations right before going to a structural engineer.  You can do things like cantilevers to get the member sizing down, etc.  and complex loaded beams. The only issue is that you sort of have to know structural to input what you need like loads, point loading, and transfer loads to the member you are sizing.  Since I mentored under a structural engineer, it's ingrained into me how to size members and trace load paths. 

(btw; I also like KL&A on projects of all sizes)  I know a couple one man shops up in the hills if you are doing work up there too that were pretty laidback.  

I'm also back in the forensic / litigation expert world again; Apparently, real architecture doesn't hire experience beyond 10 years.  I was unemployed for 6 months before getting back into forensics (which only took a week to get a couple offers and back into a six digit salary).   Looks like I'll be doing it nationally now and this new firm is getting me licensed from FL to HI and renewing various association memberships.  More rants: NCARB really reams you though; $400 per transfer... AIA wanted $1400 to get me back after letting it lapse a couple years.   

Apr 25, 18 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Congrats on the new job!

Apr 25, 18 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Congrats on the job and what sounds like some fat stacks of cash. Hope you asked for a signing bonus

Apr 25, 18 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I just met with a realtor about listing my house. I need a whiskey. What do you guys do, as architects, when it's time to buy and sell your own homes? 

Apr 25, 18 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Use a good realtor! Don't let anyone know you're an architect!

Apr 25, 18 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

He was supposed to be a good one. I didn't tell him I am an architect.

Apr 25, 18 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

"What do you guys do, as architects, when it's time to buy and sell your own homes? " ... regret that I spent 6 years mindfucking myself debating the fold, form and the tartan grid... instead of taking a 15 day course for 6
%... oh hell... who am i kidding it was 8 years... :D

Apr 26, 18 1:01 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The info he had is invaluable tho! Did you know 96% of home buyers start their search online? Did you know brick houses have brick walls?

Apr 26, 18 5:51 am  · 
 · 

Guess he forgot to mention the vinyl siding on the sides and rear.

Apr 26, 18 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

He was talking about my house. Load-bearing triple wythe. Brick on the inside AND the outside? Yup.

Apr 26, 18 11:18 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The realtor actually told me his fee was negotiable. I'm going to take him up on it.

Apr 26, 18 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

trusses, yo

Apr 25, 18 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

You gotta love those interviews where they try and lecture you that your current job pays you too much. 

Apr 25, 18 11:04 pm  · 
 · 

I have so much work to do I can barely think straight. Assume everyone else is in a similar situation. Get while gettin's good, I guess. <sigh>

Apr 26, 18 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Yep... it's Thursday and I've already put in 42 hours this week and looking at coming by Saturday to finish a report.

Apr 26, 18 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Yep... I just hit 40 and its my first week at the new job/ worked a 1/2 day Monday.

Apr 26, 18 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Busy in a good way. Witnessed one of those moments where someone runs out of the room crying no!!!! today. I took comfort in knowing that others recognize this behavior as inappropriate even though social code says we must pretend we don't see it.

Apr 26, 18 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

lol. i just walked out of the office at 38, thinking maybe i should stick around just to finish off the work week.

Apr 26, 18 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you have to keep track of hours if your time is billable. not that you have to stick to a 40 of course, that's just for amusement.

Apr 27, 18 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Donna, Mightyaa, tinttttt, Miles, anyone know anything about my IBC question on the front page of the forum? I'm a bit perplexed and usually don't have any issues with code.

Apr 26, 18 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I don't know but I just looked at the code at it says 1 toilet per 10 occupants and 1 shower per 8. Is that what you want?

Apr 26, 18 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Thx tintt, that's what I found too... I was talking about establishing base occupancy # though. 2015 is 200 gsf/ person for residential, but you could have a double or triple occupancy dorm room with 200sf... Which seems like it would throw counts way off.

Apr 26, 18 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Got it. Not sure.

Apr 26, 18 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You'd think this would go without saying, but apparently it's confusing. If you are too busy to work on a job and you tell the client that and the client calls me instead -- it is NOT stealing a client. I even tried to give the project back because I do not steal clients. Four times I tried to give it back. The other designer said he was too busy all four times. Then accused me of stealing the client each time. You can't make this stuff up.

Apr 27, 18 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

and I'm so busy I've been forgetting to eat all week.

Apr 27, 18 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

that's crazy

Apr 27, 18 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Gotta love the Studio diet. I lost 10 pounds over thesis.

Apr 27, 18 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you need snacks!

Apr 27, 18 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

yes, but if you have a lot of work to do you might want to supplement it with some sort of protein or a bit of lettuce or something like that.

Apr 27, 18 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I got a giant box of granola bars. Curt, are you still interested in moving to Colorado? I'm looking for a partner.

Apr 27, 18 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i would consider offers.

Apr 28, 18 8:53 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'll know more within a month or two. Or theres this..... I'm getting lots of recruiters contacting me - I could give them your name if they are willing to recruit from out of state.

Apr 28, 18 10:44 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i've been contacted by quite a few recruiters as well. have you followed up and actually spoken with them? i talked to a couple before i got the job i have now. it just sort of seems that what they do isn't viable. i'm not actively trying to leave the job i have at the moment, but there are always times when i think things out of my control could be controlled better. i could probably be pulled away if your pitch was good enough :)

Apr 28, 18 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I always turn them down. I'm not interested in working in a firm. I asked one a question once and never heard back so yeah. It's crazy busy is what I'm saying.

Apr 28, 18 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Weird Problems of Being Busy:Apparently I have an angry would-be-client badmouthing me around town.  She called me about a residential project a couple months ago. I told her I was in the simultaneously regrettable and great position of being swamped with several large ongoing projects, can't take on new work, and also that I don't do much residential work anymore.  I said I could recommend other excellent residential architects, or I could put her on a waiting list but wasn't seeing much likelihood of being able to start it until mid-summer or later. 

She declined to be put on the waiting list and asked for my recommendation for another architect, which I happily provided - and I think he's better suited for the project.  Since then I've heard that she visited the person I recommended, as well as a couple other local architects, and hasn't yet picked one with which to work, but has told all of them that she called me first and that I wouldn't take her project because I thought it was beneath my abilities!  Even if I somehow really gave her that impression, which I don't think I did, I don't understand why she'd tell my colleagues that - it seems to imply that she considers them all 2nd choices, so why would they want to work with her when they're all busy too?  I guess I should feel like I dodged a bullet with her.

Apr 27, 18 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

You dodged a bullet. If she's this much of a bitch because you didn't take her project, just imagine how impossibly difficult she would have been if you had. Congrats.

Apr 28, 18 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

"...just say no to assholes"

That's a lot of noes.

Apr 27, 18 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

navid ganji, wtf?

Apr 30, 18 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Gotta flag 'em all!

Apr 30, 18 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Over the last week, recruiters have been blowing up my LinkedIn. I haven't even been at my new firm a month. Is this a new normal?

Apr 30, 18 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Same here, got another one this morning.

Apr 30, 18 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

Last week my son texted me a question from school for a project he's working on: "What is a problem you encounter in your work?"

I was having a slightly rough day so I responded "My biggest problem at work is clients who won't listen to me."

His response: "Megaphone."

Apr 30, 18 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

Ha!

Apr 30, 18 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

today’s entertainment was brought to us by the generousity of Rich_9999.  

Elitism and snobbery towards established practice and material detailing? Check

Junior / intern level superficial knowledge of construction? Double check

Zero to 100 sprint to assholeness with a sprinkle of sexism? Triple check

May 1, 18 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

Some people are put on Earth just to provide amusement for others.

May 1, 18 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Correct, and for some reason, several find their way here. Are we some sort of promised land for the lost causes?

May 1, 18 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

This system of tubes is a place where anything is possible.

May 1, 18 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is tube some new hipster slang for gutters?

May 1, 18 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

That thread is in the gutter.

May 1, 18 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

A dumpster fire without Ricky B? Can you imagine if he got his mitts on this one?

May 1, 18 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

I saw a thread on twitter yesterday that was an angry vegan shaming another vegan for buying a non-vegan ice cream for a sad child. I was near tears of laughter because I truly felt this guy was Balkins but arguing about veganism. it was delightful.

May 1, 18 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

This idiot makes Balkins look good. Really. I mean Ricky doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

May 1, 18 11:37 pm  · 
 · 

What did I miss?

May 1, 18 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Josh, look up both of Rich_9999's threads. You missed out.

May 1, 18 11:59 pm  · 
 · 

Alright, I've got to stop. This is like watching a train wreck in slow motion. You want to look away but you can't.

May 2, 18 12:14 am  · 
 · 
randomised

That took quite a while to escalate, normally that level of dumpster fire is reached within a few posts.

May 2, 18 2:45 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Rando, I think it lasted so long because we were hoping the OP would provide a detail or drawing of their design/solution. It degenerated after it became apparent he was not able to look at the problem in a logical way.

May 2, 18 7:42 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Their loss...I was just getting into the subject matter.

May 2, 18 8:42 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Question for TC: Is it appropriate or not to report someone in your home market to the licensing board/ AIA/ NCARB for selling and marketing their "firm" as providing architectural services when they are not licensed architects/ licensed professional services corporation?

May 2, 18 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
I can’t believe there are over 200 comments on the internal gutters thread! You guys crack me up. Keep fighting the good (albeit absurd) fight!
May 3, 18 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

While OP checked out days ago already.

May 4, 18 2:56 am  · 
 · 

He must have found our incompetence and buffoonery intolerable.

May 4, 18 8:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Certainly the wanker is still lurking silently in the background.

May 4, 18 9:06 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I was gonna mention coravent for vertical wood rain screens, but I didn't wanna seem like I was taking it seriously.

May 4, 18 11:50 am  · 
 · 

I started a thread on concrete, you guys. You know how much I love it, and I actually have a client right now who might be willing and able to explore some cool work with me!.

May 4, 18 10:35 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I complained awhile here ago about having to work for a new PM who I felt was pretty unqualified. 

Turns out she actually is screwing the CEO, who is now getting divorced.  A couple people have left the firm because the can't stand working for this woman.  To make matters worse, one of the guy's sons works here, and is pretty pissed about the whole thing as well. 

One of the guys who left told her she was unqualified in the middle of the office, was canned a week later.  Another wrote an email to half the office that he didn't have time to do her job and his at the same time. (he said it in a much nicer way and left on his own shortly afterwards)

Anyway, I've been here just over a year and really not sure how I feel about sticking around.

May 4, 18 11:22 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Leave.

May 4, 18 11:36 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Sounds like a great place to move up quickly through the ranks now with everybody gone :)

May 4, 18 11:44 am  · 
 · 

The path for advancement is clear.

May 4, 18 11:55 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

the company will not survive the divorce unscathed

May 4, 18 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

Leave, and pull a Scarface from Half-Baked on your way out. Sounds like this one is a bridge you probably should burn.

May 4, 18 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

While there are a lot of dysfunctional firms in our discipline, this one sounds like a real prize winner. There are also really wonderful firms. Go find one of them.

May 4, 18 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

would be a lot easier to leave if I wasn't on my 4 firm in the past 5 years, but ya, I'm not excited about the future here

May 4, 18 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

This is about as good an excuse as you'll ever have to leave a firm. If you interview in the same city, the prospective employers probably have heard gossip about this firm and should be understanding. If not, they should be able to read between the lines when you tell them you left because of nepotism.

May 7, 18 10:20 am  · 
 · 

Ricky advising Trekiez on detailing, I almost choked on my gold-dusted caviar and egg omelet.  

I am at a complete loss when it comes to a metaphor for this. Maybe this is what blind people say instead of 'the blind leading the blind'?

May 7, 18 9:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I so want to keep that thread alive to see how deep it goes.

May 7, 18 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Slow day?

May 7, 18 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No... not been a slow day in months.

May 7, 18 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

You're such a troll. I'm laughing my ass off at Ricky playing architect.

May 7, 18 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

OMG I totally read your post as "Ricky advising Trekiez on dating...." and literally scrambled to go read the thread! Then I realized you said *detailing* and was disappointed.

May 7, 18 10:08 pm  · 
 · 

So sorry. They do make a cute couple, though.

May 7, 18 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky giving out dating advice? Oie.... let's not open up that can. As a side note, I contributed actual architecture stuffs in my last response to that thread. That's enough built in karma to last the next 8 "what design is this" wanker realtor posts I gather.

May 8, 18 7:59 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

yeezy home....... that's all your honor.

May 7, 18 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

Why do I always think of great comeback lines an hour after the fact?

May 8, 18 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

It happens. It happened to me today, and when I realized, I wanted to call the asshole and tell him.

May 8, 18 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

Once the moment passes it's too late. I'm just trying to remember it for next time.

May 8, 18 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sign of a gentleman.

May 8, 18 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

^one thing i'm not.

May 8, 18 11:38 pm  · 
 · 

Surprise, surprise.

May 8, 18 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Happens to the best of us:

May 9, 18 7:09 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

That's funny right there.

May 9, 18 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
How bad is it when the base and fasteners used to hold down your toddler’s flimsy playhouse against wind cost more than the house itself? Also, is it worse that it’s finished to match too? Asking for a friend.
May 9, 18 7:24 am  · 
 · 

No you're not. Hire an architect.

May 9, 18 8:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I charge too much. Maybe that Trek wanker can offer lower fees.

May 9, 18 8:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hi Trek, forgot your sense of humour at home again?

May 10, 18 11:17 am  · 
 · 

I'm trying to determine whether the quality of posts on A'nect are better before or after happy hour.

May 9, 18 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Yours?

May 10, 18 5:11 am  · 
 · 

I know mine are better, my Tequila goggles confirm it. The overseas thing has got me confused, I don't know the drinking schedule in various time zones.

May 10, 18 11:45 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

When's the Australian happy hour?

May 10, 18 11:50 am  · 
 · 

24/7 apparently.

May 10, 18 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

Mine are definitely better after. Though I'm fairly happy with the comment I just made on the "what style is this" thread and I'm not drinking. Yet.

May 10, 18 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

only on cannabis - when I drink, the last thing in my mind is to look at the inter tubes.

May 10, 18 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That archlife wanker certainly ain't getting any more cheerful.

May 10, 18 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Once again Arch, you've given no one here "a taste of your own medicine". You're simply not worth taking seriously and using a poor sap like you for low-bar entertainment is pretty much all you're good for anyways.

May 10, 18 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

Apparently it's unhappy hour in Leicester. So sad.

May 10, 18 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

There is nothing to deny as there was never any ass whooping. You're just upset no one wants to play with you.

May 10, 18 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

ArchLife, comments like this ^ are not welcome in Thread Central. ArchLife, Miles, NonSeq, please take it back to ArchLife's thread.

May 10, 18 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

It's obvious that nobody in the real world wants to play with you, thus all your infantile blustering on the internet. Here you can pretend you are somebody. What you find upsetting us that we all know.

May 10, 18 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey... I didn't start it, or maybe I did. Not sure, too busy to keep track of discussions. Besides, there is hockey to watch soon anyways.

May 10, 18 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

Trekiez started it.

May 10, 18 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Gosh people

May 10, 18 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Touche'

May 12, 18 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

New of Alsop has got me all bummed out.

May 15, 18 8:12 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Dear TC,

How do you guys deal with incompetent people at work? I'm currently dealing with having my workload significantly increased due to another person's actions. I've addressed it with the boss and the boss agrees with me and has told this person specifically to not do certain things but they persist. I like the job and I don't want to quit. This has been going on for a few months.

Signed,

Seeking the ignore button IRL

May 17, 18 9:27 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

kill them

May 17, 18 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

That is the real life ignore button, BUT then I'd be posting from jail and I'm not sure about that.

May 17, 18 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I often face that and I typically the "go to" person to fix other people's short comings. Just keep track and ask for more money since you have to redo work.

May 17, 18 11:26 am  · 
 · 

Asking for money forces a choice. Fire the jackass, in which case you probably get the extra work with no extra dough or fire you 'cause you're too costly. Intelligent decisions are atypical.

May 17, 18 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I already asked for more. Got a little bit, but not enough.

May 17, 18 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^then priorities what you work on within your set hours. Don't push away more important projects just because you work with wankers.

May 17, 18 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I don't work hourly. :(

May 17, 18 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

After being in a mid-size (20-30) person firm for 6 years, being at a small firm is freaking weird. Lots of things going through my mind at the moment.

May 17, 18 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Tell TC about it. We're listening (Delilah voice).

May 17, 18 11:48 am  · 
 · 

I, Tonya was fan-fucking-tastic.  I lived in Portland during all of that and OMG I remember so much of it. But the movie is horrifyingly, wonderfully made.

May 20, 18 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I have a former partner (we were "partners" for about three weeks) threatening to sue me. We did an interview with a potential client together and the client hired me instead of him. Pretty sure you can't sue for that. It's pretty obnoxious. Anyone know if I can file harrassment charges or something?

May 22, 18 10:27 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

You can either hope it goes away or undertake a full-on legal assault. Harassment charges/ restraining order and sue him all at the same time.

May 22, 18 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

What does the harassment consist of? States have different thresholds for meeting the actionable definition of harassment, but typically you'd need to be able to document a sustained pattern of contact with no useful purpose beyond - and the specific intent to - create alarm, annoyance, and/or emotional distress.  You may have a problem with the "no useful purpose" part of that, if he legitimately believes he has financial damages and is contacting you to try to resolve those.

As for your former partner trying to sue you: he may have a case there, even if there was no explicit non-solicitation agreement between the two of you. Most states have some version of a "uniform trade secrets act", which potentially covers this if the client came to your firm during the time that it was a partnership. The client and their project can be considered to be a trade secret of that partnership, meaning that you can't take it outside of the partnership without agreement of the partnership, unless you can prove that you would have known of this potential client and project in some other way that would have been readily available to the general public.

May 22, 18 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The wierd thing too... he doesn't want the job and told me this as well as the client which is why the client called me. When the client called me I immediatedly called the former partner and asked if he was ok with it. He said he was too busy and didn't want the job plus he didn't think it would pay enough. So I think that means I can take it right? This guy doesn't want the job but he doesn't want me to have it either. Now that I have it he is jealous. I think he made a mistake, took the wrong risk. Former very good friend/former colleage here too. I told him again yesterday he can call the client and ask for the job and I will back off. We were never techincally a partnership, we were co-oping both as sole proprietors. The harrassment is name calling both to me and around the community and threats of various sorts including suing me.

May 22, 18 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

If I'm acting out of line, either legally or ethically I want to know so I don't get in hot water.

May 22, 18 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

It does not sound like you're out of line ethically. It sounds like you're saying you discussed the situation with your former partner before you took on this job, and he didn't want it then, and he's changed his mind since. If that's the case then there's nothing to feel bad about -  he's just too late - too bad so sad. He's being unprofessional by asking you to bow out when the client already has a relationship with you. Who says the client would even want to switch to your former partner now? If you bow out now there's every possibility that the client will just go with a different architect.

Legally is a little more complicated:  your former partner could certainly try to sue you.  As I explained above, projects/clients that are introduced to a firm are usually considered trade secrets of the firm.  Partners are sometimes successful in suing other partners in stealing those clients/projects from the partnership.  Whether he'd have any chance of success probably depends on the paper trail.  If he has evidence that the client and project were originally introduced to you during the time that the two of you were partnering, and if you do not have evidence of the conversations that have transpired since, then perhaps he'd win.  Hopefully you have something in written form (emails?) to back up everything you've explained here.

May 22, 18 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Most of it was verbal but yes I have plenty in text messaging. I also have the client as a witness. The client is the one who told me this guy was too busy to take on the work in the first place. Then he told me the same. I kinda feel like I should file something somewhere. Like a restraining order but not really. The threats are enough that I'm afraid this guy is determined to sabotage me, the project, or both out of spite. Thanks by the way. 

May 22, 18 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

He says I undercut him, but it was before I even gave it thought. He told me what he wanted which was over 10% for architecturals alone, and I said it was too much. This was when we were "partners". So he says that's undercutting.

May 22, 18 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Found the answer on the FTC website. No, it's not undercutting, or predatory pricing as they call it.

May 22, 18 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

You have done nothing wrong and appear to have bent over backwards to avoid conflict. Unfortunately that does not protect you from anything.

This is a form of harassment and is extortion if there is a demand for you to do anything. You can report this to the police and file a harassment charge, at which point you can request an order of protection. At the very least you are establishing an official record of his behavior which will be useful if it continues.

If you have a record of threatening texts / emails / phone calls all the better.

May 22, 18 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

Also don't panic. If a process server appears at your door you will have to respond. Until then it is just a bunch of hot air. You have not violated any legal, professional, or ethical standard. If push comes to shove you counter-sue for frivolous action and claim damages for legal fees and emotional distress.

May 22, 18 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I have a license, accredited degree, and insurance and said individual has none of the above. And yes, this is part of the problem, that he says I used my credentials against him. (waved them around, lol, made him look bad that I called myself the 'a' word that he can't use) This doesn't belong in the #metoo records but it is a fine example of how a man thinks he can treat a chick in my opinion. I don't think he would do this to me if I was a man. 

May 22, 18 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Well clearly your first step should be to report him to NCARB and the Colorado licensing board so he can never become a licensed Architect...

May 22, 18 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

if those are you friends i'd hate to see what your enemies do to you. i think you definitely have good reason to be pissed off at him. legally, i would advise not taking advice from an internet forum. especially not a forum with architects. our inflated egos tend to make us think we know a lot more than we do. mile's advice about talking to the police might be a good idea though.

May 22, 18 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Maybe he'll read archinect today and see this. And shut the hell up.

May 22, 18 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Asking an attorney. I'll let ya all know.

May 22, 18 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

First attorney says it's libel and slander and suggests a cease and desist letter.

May 22, 18 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Chrissy, you bring up a good point about not legally being able to compete. And I don't think he knows that. :(

May 22, 18 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Wow... that sucks tintt... sorry to hear...

May 22, 18 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

(In delilah voice :))

May 22, 18 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

tintt, tell them to fuck off. there, saved you an attorney fee, seriously though, have the attorney write a cease and desist, or you'll get some jersey types, who know where the hoffa is buried.

May 23, 18 12:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jerry Jerry Jerry!

May 23, 18 7:52 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Relax........ there is absolutely nothing here! You undercut him for a job he didn't want? You somehow violated the terms of a three week old co-op "agreement"? He isn't licensed to begin with? You've told him as recently as the day before yesterday that he could have the job if he wanted it? Your client will support your side of the story? This will never materialize into anything vaguely resembling a lawsuit. The guy is a wack job, clearly. The only thing I would worry about is him egging my house or slashing my car tires before the men with white suits and butterfly nets come to take him away for a nice long rest at Shady Manor.

May 23, 18 8:23 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Geezer, precisely! Except egging my house is kid stuff. I’m worried about the crazy adult version of it. If I go missing...

May 23, 18 9:45 am  · 
 · 

If you fear for your safety you absolutely must file a police complaint for harassment, at which point you can ask for an order of protection. Which will without doubt be granted. 

Stop fooling around and get it done. You can end this game with a single phone call.

May 23, 18 11:59 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

from funny to scary pretty fast. most likely all talk, but still...…

May 23, 18 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Update: the best piece of advice I got is from my husband (the counselor/psychologist) and that is to de-escalate the situation by ignoring it. The equivalent of saying fuck off but not even wasting the breath to say it. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

May 23, 18 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

good luck tintt

May 23, 18 7:38 pm  · 
 · 

Hang in there, tintt. As I told my ProPrac students, anyone can sue anyone for anything. But as Miles says, whether the case has any merit or not is the question: it could all just be hot air.

May 23, 18 9:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: