Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

JeromeS

^^Carrera-

I bought a car on ebay and am trying to get it shipped from Portland/Seattle to Philly.  I have the transport with a broker, but the process is so opaque I am getting frustrated/impatient.  He's had the contract for 7-8 days with first available pick up being 10/19, just two days ago.  I'm wondering how long it takes a carrier to claim the contract?  Do I need to offer more money, etc?

On the other hand RWCB-PBD is not doing anything - maybe he could drive it here...

Oct 21, 15 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Jerome, Never worked with brokers…kinda like working with architects…if you’re tired of screwing around call Reliable Carriers Inc. I wouldn’t throw money at a broker, just use the money and get Reliable; they’ll be there in a flash.

http://www.reliablecarriers.com/

Oct 21, 15 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Had my broker raise my offer for transport from $775 to $950.  Carrier accepted the contract within the hour.  Scheduled for pickup tomorrow, if insurance/bonding checks out...

Oct 21, 15 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

JLC I've been cracking jokes about the masterplanning of Liberland with all my friends lately, including the two Libertarians I know, one of whom was at least intelligent enough to note that a Libertarian utopia would by definition not be masterplanned!

FFS.

Oct 21, 15 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Yes Donna! I find the whole thing very moronic; no resources, in a flood plain, anarcho-capitalism? they should watch "live free or die" at the least, but i'm guessing they see themselves more sophisticated. talk about a dependent economy. subsidized by zha nonetheless. turn of the century crazyness gone bonks.

Oct 21, 15 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Glad my desk in the pit has a window, this rain we're getting in Dallas is pretty fun to watch roll on through.  I do miss the snow back home, but never did I see it rain as hard as it is now.

Oct 23, 15 10:06 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Sidetracked as I wrote that, It's just as amazing to watch it rain here as it was the days we'd get a heavy snow back home...

Oct 23, 15 10:15 am  · 
 · 

We could use some rain here in the Middle. That said, it's overwhelmingly beautiful outside this week and likely into the next. I've never seen the sky so blue, and the leaf colors are practically blinding. And the weather is warm. Perfect, perfect convertible weather. It's just heartbreakingly, sublimely beautiful, which as a westerner I never thought the Midwest could be.

Sadly, I have a cold, so the colors are sort of hurting my eyes.

Oct 23, 15 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Donna,  Guess you need to get out your rose tinted sunglasses.

Oct 23, 15 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

Weird, the colors are still pretty drab here in Cincinnati, but maybe they'll be more brilliant in another week or so. Autumn is about the only season I enjoy in the Midwest, if only because it finally means an end to the stifling heat and humidity. Give me overcast skies and temperatures in the 50s any day over a heat wave.

Come wintertime, though, I'd much rather be in the Pacific Northwest. The big cities in the lower elevations generally stay mild if you're willing to put up with constant fog and drizzle, but if you really want a winter wonderland, just drive a couple thousand feet up into the mountains. The fact that almost all the trees are evergreen means the landscape never looks as bleak and lifeless in the middle of winter as it does back east.

If money were no object, I'd probably spend fall and spring in New York City, and winter and summer in the Pacific Northwest... with periodic trips back to Cincinnati to visit friends and family, and down to Los Angeles to eat tacos by the ocean.

Oct 23, 15 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

It rained for like 48 hrs straight here in Denver at beginning of this week. I thought i was still in FL for a minute... Happy Friday TC!

Oct 23, 15 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

@JLC: I'm guessing it'll be set up like a tax haven - a bunch of vacant buildings housing the official headquarters of multi-national corporations.  Sounds like a money-laundering scheme to me.

Oct 25, 15 9:52 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

A very dubious project to have your office associated with...  but I guess if your market is servicing corrupt plutocracies... how about creating one from the ground up?

Oct 25, 15 10:13 am  · 
 · 

"I like this house from a cartoon my son was watching! Someone tell me where I can buy house plans for it!"

God, some stay at home moms get delusions of grandeur.

Oct 25, 15 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I assumed she meant to make a toy house, not an actual one?

Oct 25, 15 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

Sounds like she and Balkins are a match made in heaven.

Oct 25, 15 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

OMG I just came up with a Halloween costume, but I need a partner!  Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Undead, which is a movie I just heard of ten minutes ago, but I and my partner would play the R&G from the Tom Stoppard movie and quote those characters while dressed as zombies. Who's with me?!? But I get to be Guildenstern because he says my favorite line "One is free on a boat, for a time." Or is it Rosencrantz that says that? ;-)

Oct 26, 15 8:51 am  · 
 · 

Whichever one Gary Oldman is, that's who I want to be.

Oct 26, 15 8:53 am  · 
 · 

Finished Perdido Street Station tonight and now I'm at a loss. I hate to leave behind that whole incredible world I've been inhabiting for so long (over 500 pages). You know that sad, empty feeling when you finish a book? Also, the ending was really bleak.

Oct 26, 15 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

interviewed and got an offer friday, countered yesterday, and haven't heard back yet - this is killing me! can't wait to get back to work

Oct 27, 15 9:31 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i assume offer don't REALLY expire?

Oct 27, 15 9:46 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

wow, that's some bad grammar up there....

Oct 27, 15 9:53 am  · 
 · 

I'm assuming you used better grammar in your interview and counter-offer, shuellmi, so don't sweat it. ;-)

Oct 27, 15 10:14 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

anyone catch Tigerman's redux of his Titanic?

epiphanic irrelevance.

Oct 27, 15 10:41 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

With the plethora of fresh grads, disenfranchised employees, and not enough jobs you gotta take what you can get. Counter offering just makes them laugh and look at the next retard in line.

I'd take the hint from the universe and get the hell outta Dodge while the doors are still open before you take the next low ball offer, end up working work for a year and a half only to realize that it was all bs that after a "six month review" you'd be reassessed on performance and compensation.

And then the next economic downturn hits, soon after that... are you ppl masochists?

Oct 27, 15 10:47 am  · 
 · 

DeTwan, all the firms I know are either looking to hire or hoping they can keep working people a little too hard for a few more months before deciding they need to go ahead and hire. Where are you getting your info from?**

**subtext being I don't think you know wtf you're talking about.

Oct 27, 15 11:17 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

okay...

Oct 27, 15 11:48 am  · 
 · 

Yet another person using the forum to project their frustrations about their own failed careers onto others. It's a time-honored Archinect tradition!

Oct 27, 15 11:48 am  · 
 · 
no_form
People talk about banning Balkins, but if he can actually program could he update the archinect mobile app? It sucks so badly. That would be time well spent by archinect.
Oct 27, 15 11:49 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

offer/counter may not matter much, just scheduled an interview with one of the best firms in detroit

Oct 27, 15 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

I know david, 'it's not about the money, it's about the love of architecture'...that's why I asked if y'all are a bunch of masochist?

Oct 27, 15 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Can't it be about both?

I'm doing alright so far.

Oct 27, 15 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

It *is* about both. As is everything I choose to do, pretty much.

Oct 27, 15 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

I tend to agree with Donna. Not sure about Detroit specifically, but in most larger cities firms are getting desperate for qualified talent. Assuming you are qualified and talented, you shouldn't worry about countering an offer ... assuming your counter offer was reasonable.

I had a friend of mine from school countered an offer with something verging on ridiculous a few years ago because 1) he didn't really want to work at that firm, and 2) he thought if he started high, they'd meet in the middle at something higher than if he started where he wanted to be salary-wise. The firm told him no thanks, and rescinded the offer. He might have better luck doing that today, but I wouldn't count on it.

Oct 27, 15 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

Also agree that it can be about both.

Oct 27, 15 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Sure firms all over the country are hiring. The building industry has not seen growth like this since pre-collapse in 2007-08. But all the firms that are hiring are looking for a BIM Manager for $42k a year, a BIM monkey for $38k. Most common sense adults will not take these jobs, bc it is a ridiculous wage. Yet they want you to have at least 3-5 years of experience, if not more. There is way too much competitiveness in the industry for what there is to go around. Oh the glory of being an architect some day! It's a glorious scheme concocted by the industry of printing diplomas and the zeitgeist that being a troll sitting behind the computer all day and writing emails and moving windows and toilet is honorable.

In my honest opinion, I find it to be quite an exploitive industry... and employers scratch their heads and are like, "why aren't there any decent employees"

Oct 27, 15 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'm not sure where you expect to begin if not at the bottom.

Oct 27, 15 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

That was my point, those are starting wages for the industry...meaning right out of college, yet they want 5-10 year of experience....

If you're a normal adult with children and a family at about 5-10 years out college and professional experience, you might as well stay at home and raise the kids.

Oct 27, 15 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Eh, everybody says that. Apply anyway.

Oct 27, 15 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Not sure where you are DeTwan, but in my region, there is a fairly large gap in the available talent.  You have fresh interns, and people with 15 years of experience, and very little in between.  From what I have seen, all the firms are looking for the ones in the in between, and most seem to be looking for the folks with 15 years or more experience.  The offered pay seems decent.  The numbers wouldn't look all that great to someone from an urban area, but for the region, they're good.

There are definitely more job listings on Archinect for the state of Virginia than I've ever seen before.

Oct 27, 15 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

There are definitely more job listings on Archinect for the state of Virginia than I've ever seen before.

Ditto. Nearly everyone from my graduating Masters class (2014) is employed. My firm is having trouble hiring fast enough.

If you're not finding work in this environment, the environment might not be the issue.

Oct 27, 15 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

^ Same here. My thoughts exactly.

Oct 27, 15 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I can only speak for myself, have about 10 years experience, pretty sure my first job was 46k and have been going up pretty steadily from there

Oct 27, 15 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

entry level architecture jobs are the filter that architecture schools fail to be. once you get past about 5 years its not a bad job at all. just kind of layoffy at times.

Oct 27, 15 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Thought of the day "How many fhking columns are there in this building?!"

Oct 28, 15 6:04 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

sjb that seams to be the problem. I have to choose between hiring a person with 10 or more years to do my drafting or someone out of school. the former is worth the up charge........DeTwan I have not made less than 6 figures since 2008 and am less than 40 and was making more than 6 figure before i had a license.....on the downside even at those rates i am slow to take care of student debt....whatever.........the market is killing it, finding help is damn near impossible and if you have 5 years experience and want to move you will make money. counteroffer says you know what you are doing and i would like that as an employer.. sure occasionally over confident are full of shit but i can't say I am interested in someone who will do it for less. i also feel i can't yell or tell someone they suck if they are doing it practically for free......secret to this profession - always moonlight and keep your options open at all times. firms hire on project basis, so when work dries up you should be able to move. lately with my nearly 15 years experience on more than one occasion for various firms they have asked me to pretend to be a senior team member to get work, if you find yourself in that position make your salary contingent on winning the job,they will actually figure that into the fee...say you want 150k+benefits for 2 years on a 2 year project (dont forget to moonlight even at those rates).................now arch salaries do SuCK,have a possible offer and will take it if it comes to fruition from a Contractor. 2-3 hrs a day for 2 years on one very expensive private residence but can do my own thing as long as I use site as office -100k a year for 2 years! i thought this was a sweet deal and then people atarted telling me the same position full time in construction is about $175 to $200k if full time..........last but not least I am an AOR for a top notch design architect and told a decorator/interior designer who i was working for and he iffered me $250k om the spot,the persons a bit loony and over the top sometimes which was enough to turn a job offer like that done - trust me.....so far my best month has been 30k and my worst in the last 5 years 4k.........once you become your own architect making millions is not out of site..........DeTwan you are just an angry unfortunate grad of the recession,i too graudated during a more minor recession, and making $6 an hour never held me back. I literally make sometimes in a month what i made in a year. there are not a lot of jobs in this world where you can potentially make 10 times your starting salary in 15 to 20 years...........carry on

Oct 28, 15 7:48 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Olaf, you want a freelance drafter? Can I apply?

Oct 28, 15 10:46 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

shoot me an email...seriously

Oct 28, 15 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: