Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

SneakyPete

...yet you wonder why people stop reading your word salad...

Sep 10, 15 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Deep, philosophical, yet utterly meaningless. People masturbate, too. Most, however, don't tell themselves that other people like to watch and post it on the internet.

Sep 10, 15 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Good to know you at least TRY to set simple goals for yourself.

Sep 10, 15 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

How many decades has it taken to apply this much Teflon? I'm impressed.

Sep 10, 15 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Stooping to name-calling?

What's next, yo mamma jokes?

Sep 10, 15 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

I'm impressed.

I'm not. Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Sep 10, 15 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Mr. Lauf, please justify the elevated position you are occupying when telling people to set better goals for themselves. A CV or Resume, perhaps.

Or three to 2,000 pages full of incomprehensible ramblings combined with retinal-scarring images that look like they were scanned at low DPI from a print magazine found in a basement or drawn up on a Digital Rainbow 100...

Either one.

Sep 10, 15 4:44 pm  · 
 · 

quondam, I'll put my work up against yours any time. The forum can be the judge.

You go first.

Sep 10, 15 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

Back to reality ...

A builder friend brought me some plans to look at today. 2,000 sq. ft. addition to a crappy Hamptons house. Plans show detached 2-story building as guest house (prohibited by zoning) with 1/12 roof pitch to keep it within the 20' height limit on accessory structures.

Probably in the neighborhood of $800k to build this PoS, and lots of people would be happy to do it. Cue Steve Miller ...

Sep 10, 15 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

1" in 12"?

Hydrotech warranties dead flat, so if a warranty is what you're after...

Sep 10, 15 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
knock knock

that was hilarious

Sep 10, 15 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Did you seriously just snuff troll?

Sep 10, 15 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I thought I was the only one that didn't get the psychedelic ramblings- I thought i missed the cohesive element.

I want to see the Miles/Quondam bake-off

Sep 10, 15 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Miles, just because your work may be subjectively "better" than someone else on a meaningless internet forum (thanks to clients inherited from your daddy) does not mean you are objectively a good architect. To top it off, you are one of the least helpful posters on here. 

Sep 11, 15 2:24 am  · 
 · 
I don't really think it's fair to go after Miles for his father. No one here knows how much Miles has had to hustle to get projects on his own.

(I mean hustle positively, meaning working hard, not cheating.)
Sep 11, 15 6:11 am  · 
 · 

archanonymous, you're good at being an anonymous skid mark sniping from the gutter on a meaningless internet forum. Have you got anything else?

Sep 11, 15 11:11 am  · 
 · 

Donna, tried this last night and thought of you. Smooth and tasty.

Sep 11, 15 11:17 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

great value there

Sep 11, 15 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, I have enjoyed many a glass of Buffalo Trace. I've been partial to Town Branch lately simply for the beautiful bottle shape:

It's hefty, too, and the label paper is a nice texture.

Sep 11, 15 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

I read "paper label" as "paper weight" at first. Thank heaven it is Friday.

Sep 11, 15 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

Thank heaven it is Friday!

Despite being a short week, this one felt like it lasted twice as long. Had a few deadlines to meet this week. I just got the last one off my desk. Took my first ARE division this morning. Fretting about not having studied enough and getting nervous about that all week long took it out of me. To top it off, I started feeling a cold coming on yesterday. Glad it's over ... waiting for the results is going to suck ... need a weekend (or two) to unwind then I'll start studying for the next one. 

Sep 11, 15 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

That's a good way to do it, Everyday. Take a break, study for a week or two, take the test, take a break. You'll get through them all!

Rumor is that vado retro is in Indianastan. I cannot confirm.

Sep 13, 15 11:10 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

this looks as a good place to drop this, https://instagram.com/p/7WMoy7LZW5/

Sep 14, 15 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

you are totally right, Miles - I was out of line.

I usually go in for this:

Sep 15, 15 8:39 pm  · 
 · 

Pour out a glass of any of those for me and my podcast co-host Ken...we just won a commission for a temporary bus shelter in MSP. Super short timeline though!

Sep 15, 15 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

Grrrr just lost half an hour of cad work due to computer crash. I'm usually so good about saving but when I get int he zone I forget. So it was a really full half hour too.

For those old timers here not on the facebook liberty bell, vado retro, and Smokety McSmokesmoke (aka Spelling bee Champion) had a drink last night in Naptown! Photographic proof exists.

Sep 17, 15 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

when you have to do it all a second time it only takes half as long.

Sep 17, 15 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i don't see your photos on architect's facebook....

Sep 17, 15 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

My drawing board never crashes.

Sep 17, 15 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

chigurh that is true; I had printed a pdf before saving so I had the pdf to refer to thank goodness! What crashed my computer was a CIVIL ENGINEER's file that's way too freaking big; civil engineers are the least sensible of the engineers. IMO.

Sep 17, 15 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

miles, what about spilling ink or tearing edges off vellum sheets? 

Sep 17, 15 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

Pencil only, scotch tape if necessary.

The only time I ever lost a drawing was when the Diazo machine ate it. You really don't want to experience that as you have to disassemble the entire thing to get the drawing out.

Would have been a lot easier if I could have figured out how to make it run backwards.

Sep 17, 15 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Are you gonna start telling us about wet-stamping your cyanotypes next?

Sep 17, 15 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

Who is this Fred Herring person? i suspect s/he's a troll alter ego of a regular.

Sep 18, 15 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

What's the matter, quondam - did your bridge flood?

Sep 18, 15 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

happy friday TC

my tipple of choice today - affordable, great bottle and good too

Sep 18, 15 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

quondam, the water has receded. You can go back under the bridge now.

Sep 18, 15 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

btw: to complain about engineers for a moment - it's the structural ones that make me crazy these days. all engineers are horrid with the basics of say, communication, doing their jobs, understanding the building, etc. It's gotten to the point w/the structural guys though, that I'm just sizing all the pieces myself because it's easier and faster than dealing with them. 

Does anyone else do all their own structural work - for me, only on residential projects, or a simple part of a commercial one. I'm still not touching the larger projects by myself. 

*pours another glass*

Sep 18, 15 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

For years now every engineer I've dealt with practices CYA.

Sep 18, 15 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

The guys up here seem to practice "put head in sand"

Sep 18, 15 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I have always engineered all my own members for residential / light commercial projects.  Even high wind regions.  We have no seismic here

Sep 18, 15 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

of all the engineers i've worked with the structural engineers are usually the most thoughtful and concerned about quality. the good ones are great and occassionally have surprising insight into improving a design. they tend to be more aware of the construction process than architects, and at the least a maintain a sincere respect for elegance and proportional beauty.

it's the mep engineers who drag along and complain about every little thing we ask them to do. and sometimes surprise you with a bunch of equipment stuck in an unsightly place late inthe design.

Sep 18, 15 11:37 pm  · 
 · 

That's more similar to my experience, too, midlander.  I have two fantastic structural engineers I work with here. But when I did residential I basically let the builder size the members. Only called in an engineer if it was something tricky about the old house we were working with.

gruen that's a beautiful bottle! I'm not crazy about the rye flavor, though.

Sep 19, 15 10:56 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Donna-same company does a rye, this one is a "high rye burbon " and I think they have a burbon too. All are good.
Sep 19, 15 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

I honestly just returned from a bourbon tasting (outdoors, beautiful afternoon) and can confirm that I'm just not crazy about ryes. I've tried them a few times. I also don't like flavored bourbons, though I tried a honey one that might be good as pancake syrup. I'm a bourbon minimalist!

Sep 19, 15 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

I'm thinking we should all eat less mozzarella.

Sep 19, 15 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

kind of makes you wonder what happened there in 2007.  lots of pizza?  an ill-advised exploration of mozzarella use in sammiches?  inquiring minds want to know.

Sep 19, 15 11:56 pm  · 
 · 

LOL nice one, Miles! I love that correlation generator. Super useful.

Sep 20, 15 8:57 am  · 
 · 

On another note, we went to a launch party for a local fashion magazine last night; my handsome husband is featured in it as this is an issue highlighting "makers".

Sep 20, 15 9:06 am  · 
 · 

Friend of mine OD'd on smack yesterday.

Great carpenter, excellent worker, nice guy, 40 years old. Also worked as a stunt man in films. Fuckhead.

Sep 20, 15 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: