Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Jevons Paradox

In economics, the Jevons paradox (/ˈɛvənz/; sometimes Jevons effect) is the proposition that as technology progresses, the increase in efficiency with which a resource is used tends to increase (rather than decrease) the rate of consumption of that resource.[1] In 1865, the English economist William Stanley Jevons observed that technological improvements that increased the efficiency of coal-use led to the increased consumption of coal in a wide range of industries. He argued that, contrary to common intuition, technological improvements could not be relied upon to reduce fuel consumption.[2]

Nov 7, 14 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I looked to see if we are close to having a world record for the longest thread, but there are a handful over 50,000 and one that is 679,000. We aren't even close.  

Nov 9, 14 7:46 am  · 
 · 

I found one that was 130,000 or so but just nonsense for the purpose,of making a long thread. What was the 679k one about?

Nov 9, 14 9:22 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Tint...."How do you eat and elephant?"   One bite at a time....working on 680,000 posts.

Nov 9, 14 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Stargate. Nonsense to me. 

Nov 9, 14 9:42 am  · 
 · 

If you go to the last page, the original thread is closed but continues with MKII, which has 115,498 posts so far.

My faith in the intelligence of humanity is restored.

Nov 9, 14 11:32 am  · 
 · 
shivuy

So I'm currently working on my MRP... I feel like I'm doing something wrong since I haven't made a thread yet asking for someone to tell me what to write about and also find all my resources for me and maybe write the first couple chapters.

Nov 9, 14 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

Very funny, shivuy.

I've been CADing all day.  Tired of it.

Nov 9, 14 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Have too many pro bono projects going on at once, decided last night that maybe I should get help so I went to that Fiverr site and found some nice work. Just needed my Sketchup plan rendered…this guy’s ad said $5.00 but he was clear in his ad that it would be more…..I wondered how much more so I sent him the plan and asked.  Well it was 3,900% more! Somebody needs to shut that site down.

Nov 10, 14 6:13 am  · 
 · 

You guys, the Barbara Bestor interview is really good.  She's fun to listen to and full of info about starting and keeping a firm running and engaging in critical practice as well as a community of design in her city.  Really inspirational.

Nov 10, 14 9:45 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

proof that money can't buy good taste:

http://blog.coldwellbanker.com/palazzodiamore/

Nov 10, 14 11:18 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

is that zaha hadid's dad?

Nov 10, 14 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

yup, that explains how she was able to survive for so long w/o any work

Nov 10, 14 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

ha...holy shit...zaha's dad...gotta be nice to have connections and $$

Nov 10, 14 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

LOL, another trust fund baby. Born on third base, she thinks she's hit a home run.

Nov 10, 14 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The new basket-case Aspen Art Museum has closed. Seriously. It will be closed for several weeks to finish it. Seems it was not quite finished as of the grand opening. In a related matter some of Aspen's free spirits have taken to climbing the lattice walls of the museum. The directors are not amused; apparently the only performing artists getting the nod are the iPod wearing turtles.

Nov 10, 14 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

LA developer is not zaha's dad... unless somehow he went back in time...  zaha's dad was rich, but through oil and gov.

Nov 10, 14 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Aspen Art Museum Buildering Competition!!!!

They will have to change the design to keep the climbers off the lattice...Electrified base?? Teflon coating for the first 8 ft?  barbed wire?  kinda like skateboarding pucks.

Design FAIL.

Nov 10, 14 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

They could rub some turtle poo on the bottom eight feet of the lattice also. But really this opens up all kinds of exciting opportunities; you can have the 'Groundbreaking Ceremony' and the 'Grand Opening' on the same day! Finishing the building is entirely optional. Maybe building the building is entirely optional? Reading the teal leaves, if I were a cynic I would say they drew a building inspector who wasn't on the take and it was shut down or be shut down.

Nov 10, 14 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i don't think it's that uncommon to have an early grand opening like that.  it's all pomp and circumstance.  they wanted a gala, so they had one, now they have to finish the punch list.

Nov 10, 14 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

They are replacing the stair banisters with "new" ones. Guess the "old" ones got worn out? Guess Granny going over the side wouldn't play too well?

Nov 10, 14 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
"Once you step inside this 12 bedroom, 23 bathroom palace you immediately get the feeling of elegance and sophistication."

For me, those actually were *not* the first two words to come to mind.
Nov 10, 14 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Volunteer, beautiful! Toes in the fence. Somebody has to get a picture and publish it. LOL!

Nov 10, 14 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

23 bathrooms... I recall being told that Versailles was built without bathrooms and people would do their business in the stairways and corridors.  If it were a true palace - it would come with no bathrooms and staff who cleaned up feces.

Nov 12, 14 1:02 am  · 
 · 

The gas station thread has turned absurd. I feel badly for Richard, how everyone piles on him, but a zinger is a zinger, even when it's directed at oneself.

Related, I said in the podcast this week that DSR did a nice job on their project here in Naptown - I can credit them for doing good work, even though I will forever despise their ethics for the Folk Art Museum.  Credit where due, and antipathy where due, too.

Nov 13, 14 8:31 am  · 
 · 

If you want to go out on a limb, you should be prepared for the branch to break.

Nov 13, 14 8:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The gas-station thread was fun.

Nov 13, 14 8:43 am  · 
 · 

Non Sequitur, your Despicable Me meme on it was awesome.  One of my favorite movie quotes ever.

Nov 13, 14 8:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, it's a great movie. I loved every minute of it.

Nov 13, 14 9:01 am  · 
 · 
midlander

Richard should offer a thesis-writing service. I sense a demand here which he could meet superlatively.

Nov 13, 14 9:19 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

coffee came out my nose reading that gas station thread.

Nov 13, 14 11:56 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

agreed, i've been scouring the interweb for more rickb threads

Nov 13, 14 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I had a boss one who had a super-human ability to make people dislike or even hate almost immediately.  I have no idea how he got himself hired but needless to say he didn't last long.  For a moment I thought he was Richard.  

I hope richard never leaves, these threads are priceless

Nov 13, 14 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Why is everyone so mean to him? It makes me sad for him. Poor guy.
Nov 13, 14 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

I hope Richard doesn't get driven away from the forum. He seems to be an honest fellow who for some reason is bent on proving that he's a knowledgeable architect ... er, building design professional.

I've tried - both directly and indirectly - to get through to him but he's densely persistent (or maybe persistently dense). If he can follow instructions he'd probably make a great employee, but only if you could muzzle him. I wonder if his attention to detail exists beyond this forum.

Nov 13, 14 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Perhaps he's a bit autistic. I've had many students like him.
Nov 13, 14 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I've seen Richard's comments on other forums too. I like him, think he is interesting. 

Sarah, there is a word for a bit autistic, aspergers. Hope I spelled that right. 

Nov 13, 14 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

I know Richard and he is not autistic. He’s a smart guy. Has a great practice in Astoria, Oregon, you should all be so lucky. This thing about criticizing people troubles me. Sit in front of the TV and criticize everything and my wife loves it and thinks I’m more fun than the TV. But when you do it publicly its hurtful somehow.  It all makes me laugh and the dialog keeps me alive somehow….think Richard has a really thick skin and none of us want him to go away….

Nov 13, 14 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

It's good to have someone sincere trying to help answer real questions. Occasionally he points out things I wouldn't have thought of. It just takes a lot of reading.

Nov 13, 14 9:15 pm  · 
 · 

New podcast today, you guys!  In it, we name check vado retro, and offer a chance, via vado, to win a Tshirt.  We also talk about how ridiculous and soul-sucking student loan debt is, about being essentially free of gravity, and the appropriated words and portmanteaus architects use.   And, I call someone a dick.

Nov 13, 14 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've found Richard writes 6 times more than necessary to express his idea, but even with the back and forth, I'd still consider him an interesting character to share a beer with... provided we show up a few hours before closing because I have a feeling any conversation would last a while.

Nov 13, 14 11:06 pm  · 
 · 

Hi TC! been a minute. Been a busy week oncall, plus was deadly sick last week for a few days.

@Donna, i just listened to that Barbara Bestor interview last night. it was really good!

Nov 14, 14 10:11 am  · 
 · 

Nam, was it pneumonia? It's been going around at my kid's school!

I SO enjoyed listening to Barbara Bestor speak about her work, she's just fun to listen to, so quick and complex. I'll listen to it again, while drafting.

Nov 14, 14 10:18 am  · 
 · 

didn't get an official diagnosis but yes felt like it.

Nov 14, 14 11:57 am  · 
 · 

I just received an email with the title "A Brand New Shopping Experience From The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation". 

?!

It seems like maybe a good thing that the school is splitting off from the Foundation.

Nov 14, 14 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

whoa… I get sucked into life with a newborn for awhile and suddenly don't recognize this place… Richard?  is he the new rockandhill / thayerd / general forum antagonist?  and what's this about a podcast?  I don't recognize half of you.  How sad.  I feel old and out of touch, like when you go back to visit a former workplace that you loved and you realize that nobody you know works there anymore...

Nov 15, 14 12:14 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

"Inspired by the non-collecting philosophy of the Aspen Art Museum, SO offers a weekly changing menu based on seasonal and regionally sourced ingredients. Our freshly prepared lunch and sharable snack items are crafted to be served & enjoyed without the use of open flame in the museum." So, no open flame at the SO restaurant in the Aspen Art Museum? WTF, over. Are they afraid of fire, air pollution, putting carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and offending Al Gore? Have we gone full-frontal batpoo insane here? How do they prepare the turtles?

Mantaray, welcome back; hope your offspring is doing well.

Nov 15, 14 9:21 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Bullshit  manta, you know me, I know you! Welcome back. Oh, and who us this Richard person everyone is talking about? I don't see his posts anywhere.

Nov 15, 14 9:21 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Richard writes dissertation length posts on threads like the Gas Station one. Seems smart, just long-winded.

And Manta!!! How is newborn-life?
Nov 15, 14 9:55 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Sitting in the ER with seven African Americans while fox news attacks the president.

Nov 15, 14 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: