Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

chigurh

got a revit file from another office today...kinda cool looking at how other people do things...this one had some interesting roof forms going on, had to look-up how they did it, anybody know how to model framing on a curve? curved reference plane/line?

Oct 28, 14 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Likely a mass.

Oct 28, 14 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

no experience in massing...is that worth massing around in?

Oct 28, 14 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Adaptive components.

Oct 28, 14 10:42 pm  · 
 · 

In the spirit of the season ...

Oct 29, 14 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Saw a story on TV this AM about the guy who created the kids game “Operation” – As a student he sold it to a toy company for $500. The company went on to make $40 Million with the game. Now the guy is on hard times and needs $25k for an operation of his own and has never received a dime from that company – Wouldn’t you after making the first $2 Million turn around and write this guy a check?

Carolyn Davidson who designed the Nike swoosh for Phil Knight got paid $35. Phil did after about 10 years give Carolyn stock now worth $500k…he did look back, but Nike makes about $19 Billion a year – now who looks cheap.

Oct 29, 14 11:39 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

ha...common corporate practice...screw anybody and everybody.  Milton Bradley had that dude sign a bullet proof contract for $500 and made millions.  USA! USA!

Oct 29, 14 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

So... because you pay someone for a logo and then you end making billions, the original designer ought to get a cut? Why?

If I design a house for someone early on in my career and then become the second coming of christ of architects years later. When that original client sells his house for a mad profit due to my insane rise in international fame, should I expect a cut or the earnings?

Oct 29, 14 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

funny thing about your proposed scenario is that architecture rarely increases in value based on the name of the architect.  It is not fine art.  There are a few rare cases, like the kaufmann house, post marmol's remodel, but more often then not, houses and buildings just list and sell for market value, nobody gives a shit about who the architect was and their current level of fame.  I worked on some older gehry houses that were beat to shit, felt sorry for the people that bought em.  None of them sold for much over market value, even though they were purchased post Bilbao.  

Oct 29, 14 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Non Sequitur, well, while I agree that a deal-is-a-deal, I and others don’t agree with the bonanza. It is debatable - who should profit from our design, the owner or us? Does the owner own the design or just given license to use it? Copyright protects our ideas even after completion and forever. If an owner sold the plans for his house and made a profit we would be compensated. In turn, if that owner sells the house and gets millions more because it was a Non Sequitur house, I think it’s collectable. Big Lawsuit on the Seagram Building, on this subject, not with the architect, but over the value of the architects design years later. As I said, it’s debatable and may not be a collectable event…..it for sure it’s something to point to when someone’s turning the screws on a fee. Phil Knight did fork it over – that’s precedence.

Oct 29, 14 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Carrera, I understand your point but I disagree that simply because someone creates a logo that they are automatically entitled to a cut. It's nice and good PR for the company to make a public compensation years later but it's not like the logo is the prime reason Nike is generating billions. I hear they also sell shoes. (side note, I worked for Nike for 6 years while in undergrad)

This sounds too much like patent trolls going in after-the-fact looking for quick money they had minimal impact creating.

I am however intrigued by the Seagram Building suit.

Oct 29, 14 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

in the case of the logo, the owner has to own it.  there's no point to a logo if the company that's using the logo doesn't have complete rights to use it.  also, as in the nike example, it's really the nike brand that created the value of the logo, not simply the symbol.

in the case of the game, the content creator got screwed.  i think that's different, because the value of the game is really entirely from the guy that didn't get shit.  milton bradely or whoever should get their cut for marketing and distribution and such, but in a perfect world content creators should be rewarded for creating content.  in the real world, nobody cares about creativity or good ideas.

copyright is not supposed to give you ownership forever.  information wants to be free.  you're supposed to have the right to make a reasonable profit off your work, then it goes to the public domain where it's freely available for others to use and build on and improve, so the world can be a better place.

copyright laws should be entirely rewritten to always protect the content creator, and give marginal reward to people who invest in the content creator.  then end after the content creator has had a chance to return a reasonable profit.  but, as stated before, nobody cares about the people with ideas.  our government is almost entirely focused on creating financial policy that protects investment instead of dragging your ass out of bed and going to work every morning.

(side note, I worked for Nike for 6 years while in undergrad)

^-- is that where you learned they make shoes?

Oct 29, 14 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^It's been a long week at the office... my shoe comment was a bad attempt at humour.

Oct 29, 14 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i agree with your shoe comment and i was amused.  also was just joking back at you.

Oct 29, 14 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

The swoosh is Nike, he can’t sell shoes without it. If it has no value then why does he use it and fork over $500.k in gratitude? Wonder how much Phil Knight would spend to keep it if someone could figure out how to take it from him? It probably would cost $500k for a NYC star-advertiser to do a corporate identity package…probably how he came up with the figure, agreed, fair, but I wonder if stuff gets licensed and attached to the rising star in case of a bonanza…know that some movie artists do it that way, work relatively cheap and get paid big if it goes big, just gets me thinking about what we’re missing.  

Oct 29, 14 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Carrera, Jack Nicholson signed some sort of image protection deal when he performed as the Joker in the Batman movie essentially granting him revenue to anyone using his character. I can only imagine that all other iconic actors have similar deals but I cannot see a graphic designer having the same muscle to enforce royalties when a CEO can just hop over to the next schmuck.

Oct 29, 14 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

The problem is not the that the $50 logo went to a company that made billions, it's that a company (essentially a very few individuals) can generate billions using slave labor, avoiding taxes, ruining the environment, etc.

Oct 29, 14 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Miles, Well, then there’s that.

Oct 29, 14 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
My Global History Honors class read a good article from either LA Times or NYT about Apple's worker abuses etc. in china. Our job was to compare it to worker abuse in the Industrial Revolution. The resemblance is uncanny. The worst part is how little the first-world knows about what's going on behind the scenes of that iPhone you're carrying in your pocket. And the one I'm typing this with, just so I don't seem to be singling out the rest of you with iPhones.
Oct 29, 14 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

It's not just iPhones, it's everything from electronics, tobacco, food, and clothing to coffee, mineral resources, and more. The first world benefits from and directly supports this global practice.

List of Goods Produced by Child Labor or Forced Labor

Oct 29, 14 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Not coffee. Coffee is pure.

Oct 29, 14 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Boston's former mayor passed away today.  We knew he wasn't doing well... wasn't expecting it to happen so soon.  Saw him around a lot - he always said hi - never could get my name right.  He will be missed.

Oct 30, 14 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Toast, it's amazing that your mayor was even known. I can't tell you what the mayor of the last two towns I lived in even looks like, much less his name. And I'm only assuming he's a he.

My father in law passed away 6 years ago, today. Strange day, that was.
Oct 31, 14 10:41 am  · 
 · 

Archinect Sessions Episode 4 is up.  For some reason it keeps sinking low on the page, so I'm putting a link to it here.

Oct 31, 14 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Miles, do you think I could build this with pocket-joinery? 

Oct 31, 14 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

everything relying on the screws?  show that to a structural engineer and there are going to be steel angles and carriage bolts in there somewhere.

Oct 31, 14 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

Carerra, I wouldn't want to make that. Done properly it's a nightmare. Double thickness veneer plywood with delicate mitered corners. Biscuits alone won't be strong enough, you'll have to have solid bearing at the back of the treads. Got a big sliding panel saw, Lamello P system and a shitload of veneer plywood experience? 

I like the closed Tansu style much better.

Oct 31, 14 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

That kind of stair is hard to climb. Not so bad going up but coming down usually ends up with a forward roll....that is of course after a stiff single malt bourbon.  Oh ya "In my opinion."

Nov 1, 14 9:27 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Thanks! I’ll keep digging but a S6 biscuit glued joint I believe would be strong enough, joints like that are like welding. Not that great at mitering, thinking of doing overlapping butt connections with some overhang, more like a tread. Like stuff with plywood but too hard to handle by myself....would do this with 1 3/4" hardwood. Like the closed boxes, was going to close some. Not heading to the lumberyard yet, but thanks for the thoughts.

Nov 1, 14 10:08 am  · 
 · 

Fun would be all solid wood, dovetail exposed corners, tenon the rest and run everything through consistently to allow for movement.. Biscuits suck. The Lamello system is very interesting though, especially regarding installation.

Nov 1, 14 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Uh-oh - movement. Didn’t think about that. What do you mean "run everything through consistently to allow for movement"?

Nov 1, 14 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Our local school board election is turning into a really difficult, emotional issue.  I'm on social media about it and there are no easy choices to be made.  I finally decided to vote for the people who are NOT funded/endorsed by Stand for Children, a national school reform non-profit that is incredibly difficult to parse, or by large donations from out-of-state tech billionaires, because WTF do they care about a Midwest school board election unless it's something they can somehow profit from? Which is exactly my fear: public schools should be awesome and serve every child, and if that means losing a fukton of tax money so be it, as long as the kids are prospering.

Miles, I'm sad to report I'm starting to feel more like you, that it's not even worth voting because unless I'm wealthy it won't count.  But I'm trying to stay positive.

Nov 3, 14 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

Donna - I think the reason they let us vote is to perpetuate the illusion that we are responsible for the way things are because we elected the wrong asshole. I'm in the very same boat here, nobody to vote for, only people to vote against. I wasn't going to vote, but then I decided to vote for a friend's job (she works for the local state assemblyman and will be unemployed if he loses). While I'm there I'll write in A. Colostomy Bag for governor.

Carrera, real wood moves. If you don't allow for that you can have all kinds of problems from aesthetic to structural. Running everything through means making sure that the movement across the entire construction is consistent. Either vertically or horizontally, of course. 

Nov 3, 14 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Donna, I know how you feel. Our governorship and Lt governorship both run on education, but one side views education as a commodity and the other views it as investment. I can't for the life of me figure out why parents would vote for the commodity team. And don't get me started on teachers!! Why in the world would you put someone in power that wants to cut your pay, cut your job, and sees no value in what you work so passionately for?! Instead, they all vote on issues that were decided in the 1970s. I will faint if the person I voted for wins.
Nov 3, 14 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

There is a good tax reform bill in my state that would make large corporations kick some cash into schools, unfortunately, the biggest reason that people will vote no, is because our school boards are run by incompetent turds, they are notorious for throwing money into the shitter...so the general attitude is to cut their funding to 0 even though this bill would really help if they could put money in the right programs.  sad.  who looses?  the lower/middle class, as usual.  

Nov 3, 14 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Miles, thinking of using dowels with one end glued and the other not, think that might work?

Only reason I’m voting is because I now belong to the “Throw All The Bums Out Party” – in Washington that is. We are also loaded to the gills with levy’s this round – voting “no” on everything because everything will pass – but I’ll feel better.

Washington – Mostly want to throw the guy out that made the decision to drop $1.4 million Tomahawk missiles on $20,000. Toyota pickup trucks. They drop 50 per day – that’s $25 Trillion a year – Haven’t found him yet, but I think he’s related to the guy that decided to use M48 Patton tanks in the jungles of  Vietnam to chase Gooks on bicycles. Think the solution to all our school funding problems is hidden in there somehow.

Doesn’t mounting a machinegun in your pickup void the warranty?   

Nov 3, 14 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

Carerra, if you were here we could sit down over coffee and spend an hour or so talking about how to build that thing. Dowels are for dodos, biscuits are for dogs.

Throw the bums out - and replace them with what - a new set of bums? They all suck, they all work for whoever pays them the most. They wouldn't even be in the race if some fat tax-dodging SOBs hadn't put up millions (or tens of millions) in support. Here the local dirtbags ... er, reps don't even run their own advertising, it's all funded by PACs and national committees. You never hear "I'm so and so, and I approve of this message".

Money is speech. The less desirable it is to hold public office, the less desirable are the people who run. The system cannot be fixed by voting. There is absolutely nothing to vote for. Unless of course your guy will get you some sweet deal once he's in. Of course you can be assured success if you fund both sides.

Nov 3, 14 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

here you go carrera:

http://www.tommymac.us/rough-cut-woodworking-with-tommy-mac/

Nov 3, 14 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Miles, I honestly think it would be worth the drive. Contacting Tommy in interim.

Nov 3, 14 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

I always knew Harvard students were fucking assholes.

Nov 4, 14 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

carrera, if you do get ahold of tommy mac, let me know how it goes.  i really enjoy his show.  he does seem to know a lot about how wood goes together.

Nov 4, 14 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

I overheard some of my coworkers discuss why they decided not to vote yet simultaneously criticize those of us who did vote for people they don't like.  Starting to think a knowledge test as a requirement of voting isn't such a bad idea*.  (*Said totally sarcastically, of course.  It's anathema to everything I believe to require a test to vote.  But whew, the lack of linear logic is breathtaking.)

What we actually need, to get better turnout and more informed voters, is a national holiday for election day.  Get rid of President's Day, really, who needs it?

Nov 4, 14 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I'd be for the national holiday for election day, but I suspect that the poor working class would be more likely to be working on it as with many of other holidays - and that would be terrible.  I really wish there was an abstaining from voting bubble on the ballots - it would be nice to see if that would increase voting percentage (so many people who claim that they are conscientious non-votes, it would be curious to see if they truly are or if they're just lazy/scared).

Nov 4, 14 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I VOTED!  I also spent and hour at the department of motor vehicles returning the plates for my 1984 Grand Marquee.  So it might have influenced my vote. How so?  When one sees how  out of wack  everything is, you just wonder is it not a time for some real change.

Nov 4, 14 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I voted a few weeks ago. Don't figure it will make a difference, though, this being Texas and all. It's just mind-boggling.
Nov 4, 14 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Thank you so much Oregon! I'm so glad our high schools can now be as pot infested as Colorado's!

On the ballot for measure 91 an argument for it was that it would reduce the amount of people selling pot to minors, because their whole market is open. Idiocy. The plurality of them will continue selling to whoever they want. Aside from that, it is so much more available now! Who's to stop people from easily stealing store bought weed candy? I'm a little heated right now. All the stoners in my school will be dancing around praising mother gonja. Thank you, good good Oregon!
Nov 5, 14 9:15 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I was watching some Sunday afternoon football and I am pretty damn sure that for every commercial break there were at least 4 political attack adds. I don't envy this.

Cd.Arch, legalization is a good thing. I'm a little heated myself since my city's newly re-elected mayor (who received my support due to his transit and urban intensification policies) is aggressively fighting against safe injection sites regardless of years of evidence of their benefit.

Nov 5, 14 9:51 am  · 
 · 

CD.Arch, do you really think kids aren't smoking pot now, and will only try it because it's legal (and it's not legal for minors).

The war on drugs has incarcerated millions, cost trillions, and not done a damn thing about drug use except make billionaires out of people profiting from it - including the corporate prison complex. Aside from the fact that there are real medical uses of marijuana that would put a big dent in pharmaceutical profits ...

Nov 5, 14 11:58 am  · 
 · 

My high school was a veritable pot marketplace.  Lots of cocaine, too.  This is not a recent issue.

Nov 5, 14 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

snooker, I fervently hope that "real change" didn't result in you voting for the same idiots who shut the government down for political gain.

Nov 5, 14 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: