Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Yes, archanonymous. We also call it Naptown.

Oct 9, 14 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

LOL the banner ad right now is for Halloween costumes: Sultry SWAT team, Sexy Ninja, etc.

Oct 9, 14 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

Damn adblocker ...

Oct 9, 14 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Watching the News last night and I thought of a solution to the ISIS crisis – Air drop all the Ebola victims into ISIS territory, it’ll be all over in a matter of weeks – who needs bombs? Add to that the rounding-up of any person in this country with the forename “Muhammad” and throw them in jail on principal.

Case closed!

Oct 10, 14 9:40 am  · 
 · 

Carrera your forgot your <sarcasm> tags.

I sincerely hope.

Oct 10, 14 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Donna - Yes of course, sorry. Didn’t think needed – does anything get past you?

Oct 10, 14 10:13 am  · 
 · 

I'm hyper-emotional lately due to incredible stress at my job and thus I think *my* sarcasm detector is off.  Sorry, Carrera, it's just me being over sensitive.  Anyone want me to cry? Post a picture of a happy dog-human reunion and I'll be blubbering.

Oct 10, 14 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^A squirrel water skiing photo squirrelwater.jpg

Oct 10, 14 10:54 am  · 
 · 

THAT did make me laugh.  Animals are hilarious.

I met a fellow architect in my town last night who recalls me online from when I was liberty bell.  I think I turned bright red when he said that.

Oct 10, 14 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i got a good laugh at carrera's comment

Talked to Richard, I think it’s over now. 

richard posted this at 2:58am

... I'm done debating this ...

and was back to 'debating' by 11:02am

I'm done because the above nonsense by . . . at 11:49

back by 12:36

internet peoples are not like real life peoples.  for whatever reason, there is no desire to work together, find common ground or, in some cases, to learn from each other.  richard's comments are just him telling people he's right.  not that i'm throwing stones, since i do that myself too often.

of course there is some attempt by some people in that thread to learn from each other and understand the problem from other perspectives, so that's good.  i'd start posting about how i'm right, but i'm not pretending to be a lawyer today, so i'm afraid i can't add much of anything constructive to the discussion.

Oct 10, 14 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Curt - Well, he didn’t say how long he was done. 

Anybody tell me where I can buy a horn for my car that clearly yells “Fuck You!!”? – Tired of being honked at.

Oct 10, 14 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Who needs a horn when a single finger works so well?

Oct 10, 14 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

You guys I'm going to start a new thread!

Oct 10, 14 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

Carerra reminds me of a letter I wrote to the local paper about driving in the Hamptons.

To the Editor:

With the silly season imminent, I offer the following summer driving tips.

Rule #1:  Road signs, including speed limits, turning lanes, parking zones, etc., are only guides for first time visitors to the area.  Once you are familiar with the local roads, feel free to ignore the signs.

Rule #2:  The use of turn signals is very different here than anywhere else.  Here they are used not to indicate intended changes of direction, but instead indecision about which direction to go.

Rule #3:  Since this is the country, and there is very little traffic, feel free to park anywhere.  Don't worry, no one will be inconvenienced.

Rule #4:  If inter-vehicle communication is necessary, shouting out the window is the preferred method, although hand signals are often used as well.

Rule #5:  It is not necessary to pull over to admire the scenic vistas on the East End. Just slow down and stop, and point out the window at what you are admiring.  Any traffic behind you will then have the privilege of sharing the view, and will most certainly communicate their feelings to you in the manner prescribed in Rule #4.

Rule #6:  Finally, remember that the most expensive car always has the right of way. In the case of identical makes, the latest model has the right of way.  In the case of the same model and year, the most expensively outfitted car has the right of way.  A copy of the bill of sale should be carried in the car at all times for verification should a dispute arise.

Happy motoring!

Egad. I wrote that 20 years ago.

Oct 10, 14 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

internet peoples are not like real life peoples.  for whatever reason, there is no desire to work together, find common ground or, in some cases, to learn from each other

WRONG!   I'd say that's just like real life people.

Oct 10, 14 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

^ A bunch of things make the 'net different including the absence of clues to meaning such as tone of voice, stress and inflection, body language, etc. But I think the biggest thing is anonymity, where people can get away with doing (saying) things they wouldn't dare even consider doing in real life.

Oct 10, 14 5:46 pm  · 
 · 

i just watched Captain Phillips with the family.  Good lord that is some intense, first rate filmmaking! I'm so stressed out!

Oct 10, 14 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

What happens if I do this?

Oct 11, 14 9:25 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Today would've been my 17th wedding anniversary. 

Oct 11, 14 9:36 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

beta - if you were local to me I'd take you out for a pint.  hang in there, man.

been playing around with this a little:  http://www.esri.com/data/esri_data/ziptapestry

my neighborhood is split between:  "city lights", "urban chic," and "city strivers."

Oct 11, 14 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Just finished reading something and wiping away tears - Have a nephew who is 28 that got some sort of cancer in his leg a few years ago. Been traveling the country to control the spread. He set-up a Post to share his experiences and help himself cope – now it’s taken over his whole lung and they gave him 2 weeks to live. Well, that was 3 months ago and this kid is so strong that he wanted to go back to his job teaching. School was so kind to give him a limited/flexible schedule, but when at school yesterday he was shocked with pain. It was so bad all he could do was scream (this kid is tough) and beg for relief, nothing worked so – called Hospice, went to hospital, then woke up in a hospice facility writing us his story. Jesus Christ, nobody would give him anything that could kill the pain! Just let him suffer all night – should have sought out a drug dealer. He’s resting peacefully today, knows the end is real near and prays desperately for his tiny baby and young wife….he’s one of the good-guys, he just doesn’t deserve to die – hell of a thing to watch someone you love die – this isn’t an Archinect rant but a call for prayer – pray for him, his young family and all the young good-guys we lose every year to cancer -it’s our loss more than theirs.

Oct 11, 14 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
They'll be in my prayers Carrera, for both him and his family... I'm so sorry to hear that.
Oct 11, 14 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I will keep him in my thought, Careers.

My sister had pretty serious childhood cancer and a lot of times they can only give so much for pain before risking overdose... Even huge amounts of opiates can leave cancer patients with pain. hopefully he gets some relief and is made more comfortable.

Oct 11, 14 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Kidd

Carrera

I know the feeling. I just finished chemotherapy for Hodgkin's Lymphoma and got the all clear immediately afterwards. I'll keep your nephew in my thoughts. I went through the whole 6 month process alone and it's trying to keep a tough outside when on the inside, all you want to do is scream and break down.

Oct 11, 14 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Whoa! Donna! Just read that you're co-hosting the new Archinect podcast, that's pretty cool. I'll try to hear it.
Oct 11, 14 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Carrera, I'm so sorry. Cancer is awful, and when a young person dies it's just deeply unacceptable to our psyches, somehow.

Yeah, CD.Arch - we're doing the podcast thing! It's fun because of course I love to talk, and especially about architecture (though Darkman thinks we're not).

Oct 11, 14 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Honestly, I don't care if Darkman, or FRaC for that matter, are offended by what I say, even if I am a bit inartful in how I state my position. What matters to me, is the very real issue; women, in all facets, not just architecture, are not respected and I am choosing to try change that, so my nieces are not having to deal with issues my sister, mom, aunts' and grandmothers' had to deal with when they were younger.

This is the first podcast, give it time, the topics will change, and I'm sure there will be more voices added to the mix - god I hope so - that will only enhance the threads, news, and blogs. Honestly, I really believe this is the best new thing to happen to Archinect in quite a while, and certainly a natural shift, that should provide many avenues, and voices, to the multitude of voices inside architecture. The potential for the podcast is seemingly unlimited, and I for one look forward to providing more content, editors willingness to allow me of course, and I hope many of you angle to do the same.

Werd.

Oct 11, 14 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

for those who are interested...

studies that show differences between "male brain" and "female brain" are outliers 

Oct 13, 14 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Ebola In Perspective

Mitch Albom (WJR Detroit) put it all in perspective tonight – He said that about 4,000 people have died of Ebola in Africa, 1 in the United States. Each year 36,000 people die of the flue! Just in the United States! Ebola deaths are only about 10% of the yearly deaths but that’s Africa vs. US – 1 person dies of Ebola in the U.S., that’s only .00277% of flue deaths! What’s the fuss about?

Oct 13, 14 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

My parents are in town, and we decided to slaughter and eat one of the chickens - my mom is going to teach me my grandmother's chicken pie recipe with it! I'm very excited. Slaughtering scheduled for Wednesday - I'll post some pics!

Oct 13, 14 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
There shouldn't be a fuss, Carrera. It's absolutely ridiculous. It's simply a news time space filler, yet the media is perpetuating this idea that everyone in the nation's going to catch Ebola. Thank you for those stats, good perspective. Look up Matt Walsh's blog on that topic. He's a really funny guy. He makes some good points.
Oct 13, 14 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I equate Ebola to Shark Week, is Shark Week still going on?

Oct 13, 14 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Donna….you killed your goldfish now you are going to kill your chicken? I hope you don’t have cats or dogs:)

Oct 14, 14 7:06 am  · 
 · 

Screw the media, all they're doing is selling advertising.

Which doesn't mean that ebola isn't the global pandemic that we are totally unprepared for. The 1918 Influenza Epidemic had a mortality rate of 6-10% and killed about 2.5% of the world population. 

My question is has it been weaponized yet?

Oct 14, 14 8:41 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Miles: I believe the answer is yes - the rapid effect made it 'ideal' for weaponizing; that and the fact that it is contact contagious (maybe by Biopreparat?).  I suppose the real fear is a mutation might make it airborne (was 'Outbreak' essentially an ebola movie?).

Oct 14, 14 10:30 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

@Carrera Each year 36,000 people die of the flue!

and that's about the same number of people who die from car collisions per year in the US - and this doesn't count people who are seriously injured.  car collisions are the number one cause of death for people under the age of 40.  and there are numerous other auto-centric lifestyle related health problems - heart disease, cancers, respiratory illnesses, obesity...etc... (long car commute times drastically increases your risk of obesity and heart disease).  auto-centric living is not only horrible for the environment, it's a major public health crisis...  and it won't matter if we switch over to electric cars... (I'd like to hear SUBURBAN Detroit Mitch Albom talk about that) -

Of course the media won't report on this because cars+houses is still the main driver of our economy and we've all invested too much into this lifestyle to be able to switch easily - they'd rather write something about bike lanes because that generates clicks - likely people going to see the flame war in the comment section...

Oct 14, 14 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

OK, so let’s add it all up -

Heart disease: 596,577

Cancer: 576,691

Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 142,943

Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,932

Accidents (unintentional injuries): 126,438

Alzheimer's disease: 84,974

Diabetes: 73,831

Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,826

Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 45,591

Intentional self-harm (suicide): 39,518

That’s  2,515,458 people a year! And they called the President into a meeting because 1 guy died in Texas?

Oops...forgot + 1 goldfish + 1 chicken = 2,515,460!

Oct 14, 14 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
I didn't *kill* the goldfish. It just died. The chicken I will kill, or my dad will while I stand by observing and approving.

I did grits today for grad students. Really fun.
Oct 14, 14 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
We have chickens, we used to use them for eggs then they ate some nearby fertilizer and my mom got all weirded out about eating them. Now we only have them because they haven't died yet. Well, the two chickens and rooster we have now haven't died or been sold. Yet. One died unexpectantly and my dad and I tried to keep it from my sister, to no avail. She was a wreck. I finally calmed her down when I said "she's in the big chicken coop in the sky".
Oct 14, 14 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
Um, sorry: I did *crits* today, not grits. Damn phone. But I do love grits.
Oct 14, 14 8:51 pm  · 
 · 

I was afraid to ask.

Oct 14, 14 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
I was wondering too.
Oct 14, 14 9:03 pm  · 
 · 

I can just hear it now - Man, that Donna has some really tough grits.

Oct 14, 14 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Donna, Did it live for 5-10 years? If not it was killed.:) :) Do you think it was Ebola?

Oct 14, 14 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

it was not donna.  god took the goldfish home.

Oct 14, 14 10:52 pm  · 
 · 

You know, that damn goldfish - Surge, still a great name - might have lived happily for 40 years in the science teacher's classroom then croaked of old age the week we brought it home.

Did I mention we now have a betta fish named Gladiator? And still have the guppies, Bluefin and Jerry.

Oct 14, 14 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Is Gladiator's full name Russell Crow?
Oct 15, 14 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've never had grits... I'm not even sure I know what they/it is.

Oct 15, 14 9:07 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

it's kind of like rice or oatmeal non sequitur.  you should definitely head south and get some at the first waffle house you see, first chance you get.

Oct 15, 14 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

thanks for the info Curt, I'll put it on the list although I don't when I will find myself down south.

Oct 15, 14 9:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: