Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Oh man feeling stupid.  I've been using the word "discreet" for the last 21 years when the word I needed was "discrete".

discreet = secret

discrete = individual

The state board is correct to audit me! I'm a mess!!

May 30, 14 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Too bad you can't get CEU's for being on archinect. 

May 30, 14 9:09 am  · 
 · 

*** tint, post of the day!

May 30, 14 10:09 am  · 
 · 

We could totally self-report the time spent on Archinect, IMO. I'm serious.

Turns out my membership in AIA wasn't quite active yet at the end of 2012 when I went to the conference - I renewed membership for 2013.  So even though AIA doesn't show those CEUs from the conference, my local ED sent me the transcript from the conference itself, so i can submit it.

Should be no real problem, just paperwork.  As is everything related to licensure!

May 30, 14 11:37 am  · 
 · 
sfchi

Interesting things going on in Chicago right now:

"Chicago's Green Urban Park Renissance"

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-advocate/2014/05/chicagos-green-urban-park-renaissance/

"The Hyde Park Boom"

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-advocate/2014/05/the-hyde-park-boom/#image/1

May 30, 14 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Sarah must have  pushed some buttons for me.  I did a big basement cleaning today. Tossed a lot of old drawings and files. Note Basements in New England are not great places to store things.  Actually tossed some old school projects, thinking they might one day be my ticket  to working in a  office. I no longer have to worry about that, having been in self practice  since 1999.  Any how  I'm  recycling them instead of having them go to the local land fill.  I also tossed  some of my art work for school, most of it damaged by a damp summer basement.  It is kinda sad to let it go but it will make life easier.  Mrs. Snooker was wondering why I was so tired and  I told her I had just thrown away a large part of my life.

One thing I did grab and bring us stairs was  Architectural Records 1966 Record Houses Edition.  It was a gas to take a look at it.  I salvaged it  years ago  from an Architectural Firm where I was in charge of tossing old magazines. So I didn't steal it I Salvaged it.

Jun 1, 14 7:57 pm  · 
 · 

snook you should have had a bonfire with those old school projects!

Jun 1, 14 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

I reeeeeallly wanted to post this image on the Guggenheim "revolution?" thread, but I decided that would be mean.  So I'll put it here.

Jun 2, 14 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

Not a new topology by any means ...

Claude-Nicolas Ledoux: House of the forestry guard in château de Mauperthuis, 1789

Projet de cénotaphe à Isaac Newton by Etienne-Louis Boullée, 1784

but one that remains influential nonetheless.

Development for Dubai by OMA

proposed hotel in Baku, Azerbaijain by Heerim Architects

The term "typology" is way overused in architecture.

Jun 2, 14 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

i love that term though for architecture or anything other context.. also prototype.

hi all, i am feeling less burn(t)out this week!

Jun 2, 14 7:58 pm  · 
 · 

always nice when projects go well.

Jun 2, 14 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
sfchi

"The Evolving Chicago River"

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-advocate/2014/06/the-evolving-chicago-river/

Jun 6, 14 3:28 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Donna,

I just cut  up my projects  with a mat knife so they would fit in the recycle bin.  Who knows maybe someone in China will find them and put them back together and build my school projects in the Land of Architectural Opportunity.  Now wouldn't that be a kick

Jun 7, 14 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

bored....thinking about red lines on my other computer...can a sexy design come from those red lines......an empty facade..waiting to be awakened!

Jun 7, 14 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

Birthday party yesterday.  Eleven-year-old boys are pretty much awful. Smelly and obnoxious and non-communicative unless it's a fart joke. I'm guessing it stays this way through about 19 years old, yeah? <sigh>

Jun 9, 14 8:06 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Smelly and obnoxious and non-communicative unless it's a fart joke.

i'm just hoping i outgrow that sometime in my 40s.  wouldn't bet on it though.

Jun 9, 14 9:23 am  · 
 · 

Don't worry, Donna. In a couple of years the humor will expand to encompass even more entertaining aspects of human physiology.

Jun 9, 14 9:49 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

community  giving time.  today 3.5 hours trying to save a  great building built in 1906. wanting to keep this one alive, but loosing hope.  seems like our local planner  doesn't get it.  had some tense moments with him and with the others.     a   t.s.e moment. our life of lost is architecture of yesterday is lost to mundane architecture which is most often the product of  state and federally financed projects. Projects wanting to deface the past for a mundane presence.

Jun 9, 14 9:49 pm  · 
 · 

After years of trying to be politically effective in the local community I've come to the conclusion that such efforts are doomed before they start. It's as if every municipal official with any kind of power is getting paid off. Around here the money guys are waited on hand and foot with zero enforcement, spot zoning, etc.

The former CEO of Philip Morris got a zoning change - residential to commercial - for a hotel / spa / conference center over the vociferous objections of the local community. The town building inspector recently showed a developer how to circumvent the zoning code and issued him a building permit for a use that is a direct violation of the code. "My job is to help people", he told the newspaper.

Jun 9, 14 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Fart jokes? Who likes fart jokes anymore? Me. That's who.

Jun 11, 14 6:20 am  · 
 · 

Oh, beta, I love a fart joke too. I love Louis CK's take on it: You don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart joke, but you have to be stupid not to.

But as they say: the dose makes the toxin. Four solid hours of fart jokes by four boys was waaaaaaaay beyond my saturation level.

Jun 11, 14 8:34 am  · 
 · 

Do you know why farts smell? So deaf people can enjoy them too. 

Jun 11, 14 8:37 am  · 
 · 

I also love a good "That's what she said" joke, so I don't know if I'm dreading or gleefully anticipating adolescence when, as you suggested, Miles, the sex jokes will start to fly...

Jun 11, 14 8:55 am  · 
 · 

Sarah, I hope your packing is going well. I'm totally ready to just purge purge purge.

Jun 11, 14 11:08 am  · 
 · 

@snook, spending time to be engaged locally/civically (meetings/volunteering etc) is one of the things that I have been missing the most in my life in last few months.

what is t.s.e. ?

I need to catch up on latest season of Louis C. K.

Hi TC! 

Jun 11, 14 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Nam,  Typically I enjoy it, but I hate it when Civil  Servants  do power plays and are backed by the Local Elected Officials.  Where everything has been decided, as a public hearing is just  a Loud Fart!

Jun 12, 14 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Packing is taking FOREVER!!!! But we have a place to live. We're renting a 1924 catalogue house. The landlord isn't sure if it's Sears or JC Penney. We may opt to buy it later.
Jun 17, 14 11:36 am  · 
 · 

Very cool, Sarah! Glad you have a place to land.  Hope Abe is taking the change well.

Jun 17, 14 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Abram is putting on a brave face. He hasn't mentioned a single negative thing about the move. Hasn't said a thing about concerns or worries. At least not to us. He did, however mention them to my mother in law. I'm sad but proud at the same time.
Jun 17, 14 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Miles, Donna,

When you were in your late 20's, were you as frustrated as all of the young grads writing these doom-and-gloom posts on archinect lately? 

I feel like I am moving in slow motion in comparison to where I want to be, but just have to remind myself I am doing fine. 

Jun 17, 14 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I wouldn't ask advice from miles.

Jun 17, 14 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

archanonymous, I have said frequently on these forums: the 20s is the hardest decade of life, in my opinion.  You leave FOREVER the sweet embrace of academia and suddenly realize you will spend the rest of your life going to a job 8+ hours a day and being so exhausted every evening that you can't summon energy to do much else.  You're making terrible wages - frankly, I think it's even worse now than when I graduated in '95 - and wonder why you spent so much money and passion on an education to then make less money than a bartender for many times more hours of work doing incredibly mind-numbing tasks (for grumpy, cynical older bosses, frequently). You start thinking about things like buying a house but the finances just won't work out, let alone having children.  It's ridiculously hard, especially if you have friends who are stockbrokers or whatever bringing home good money for far less trauma in school.  It's really, really rough.

The fact that you're taking the long view is fantastic, because really, it does get better.  The 30s tend to be much better - you start to achieve things professionally, like a specialization in a specific area or at least the feeling that you actually do know what you're doing most of the time. You get licensed, hopefully, which is a HUGE achievement and deeply soul-satisfying.

Like you say, just keep moving forward. It's not *only* architecture grads who have such a tough time in their 20s, but given how much soul-searching and metaphorical bleeding we do in school I think it hits us harder than many.  Art school grads at least *know* they will likely be bartending for awhile, architects are promised so much more and it's really mentally exhausting to not get it.

Jun 17, 14 10:02 pm  · 
 · 

AMEN and good. night...

Jun 17, 14 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Thanks for that, Donna. 

The people I graduated with who immediately got a consistent, solid architecture job (around 6-8 in a class of ~35) are just starting to get licensed and it is making me feel like an absolute failure. 

I am not somewhere I can get IDP hours currently, but am trying to move on in the next 6 months, but even that seems like too long. Fortunately I have graduated to job-captain/ project designer type duties, but working on small projects 50-350k that are not necessarily buildings, but definitely interesting structures. 

I don't think it is quite as hard for most other professions, but we, as architects, don't hear about the difficulties medical residents or aspiring lawyers go through. And we have it much easier than artists, so there's that!

Jun 18, 14 9:37 am  · 
 · 
3tk

It does help to have friends in other fields - get them to talk about the hard stuff; the mind numbing monkey work in finance, losing patients in medicine, or sitting in a warehouse going through 5 yrs of court documents in a warehouse with no climate control... we get to draw stuff up and watch it get built!

Jun 18, 14 9:50 am  · 
 · 

I wouldn't ask advice from miles.

Neither would I.

Jun 18, 14 10:03 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I switched from doing a handful of huge budget projects to a whole lot of smaller projects (due to the recession), and found that doing a lot of little projects forced me to work more efficiently.  It is nice to have that one big project you can actually take time to design things, though.

I know a bunch of teachers - the shit that's currently going down in public education makes me glad to work in architecture.

Jun 18, 14 10:17 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

Hey all, I feel sad like I've abandoned you all - but I really haven't. Life has just gotten extraordinarily busy. But summer has begun with me taking a little time for myself

Jun 18, 14 11:11 am  · 
 · 

David, good to hear from you! Haven't made any time for myself yet this summer. Hope to do so in next month or two.

Jun 18, 14 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I'm a teacher! It DOES suck, right now. So glad I don't teach a core subject. Still, the politics and hoops we have to jump through can be hair-pullingly frustrating.
Jun 18, 14 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Donna has a new hairstyle and glasses. That is all.

Jun 18, 14 7:47 pm  · 
 · 

The hairstyle is gone, vado!  I just got a blow out.  I won't blow out my hair myself, so it's back to the mess today.  But I still have the glasses.

Jun 18, 14 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

hey - anyone know of a design/build GC in the chicago area who would be interested in doing a bathroom remodel?   PM me if you have any recs.

Jun 19, 14 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

A blow out? Did you get formaldehyde with that?

Jun 20, 14 8:30 am  · 
 · 

A new place just opened here on Main Street called 'Blow'. I was going to make an appointment, but then I found out that it is a salon.

Jun 20, 14 10:07 am  · 
 · 

Miles, if you think Kentucky is predominantly dry, you need to visit. While there are some pockets of dry-ness, they're not particularly effective. 

I, for one, am excited for the steamboat festival: http://archinect.com/news/article/102311319/drift-wins-pavilions-design-competition 

Jun 20, 14 11:49 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

if kentucky didn't have a few dry spots, wouldn't that ultimately hurt the moonshine business (and thus potentially stifle creativity)?

someone has to keep the skills alive in case of zombie apocalypse or prohibition.

Jun 20, 14 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

I drove through once, many years ago. The most memorable parts were the pool hall with a big sign "no alcol" and the diner where you could clearly see the inside bottom of a cup of black coffee. The local dialect was interesting. They had some difficulty with English, at least as it is spoken on the East Coast.

Jun 20, 14 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Miles is that because your from Lung Island?

Jun 21, 14 7:44 am  · 
 · 

Not from Lawn Guyland, but the poshest of posh very trendy and chic and completely urbanized Hamptons where Manhattanese is the first language. 

Jun 21, 14 9:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: