Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

snooker-doodle-dandy

I had a  7:00 am  Friday morning meeting in the field with a Client.  When he got out of his car he was carrying one of those little wine bags and he said Merry Christmas!  It was a nice heavy bottle of wine, which I usually stay away from.  How ever  Mrs Snooker...loves her wine...so I brought it home and of course she said it was nice of him to do.  She said I don't know this wine label....so things go quiet and I'm back to putting out the Next Friday morning fire when she says, "It's a $100.00 bottle of wine."  Nice late Christmas Present.  He is really a great client has lots of work for me, pays well, and we have a good relationship. I take care of him and he takes care of me. 

May 3, 14 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

That's great, snook! It's the way every job should be. I've got one like that now on a long term project (5 years to date) and it's been fantastic.

Funny how some clients think they'll get more out of you by shortchanging you ...

May 3, 14 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

Aw, that is a sweet story, snook.

May 3, 14 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

“To be accepted in the conservative network, writers must defend suburban land tenure and yet appear to uphold the doctrine of the sovereign consumer,” Ross says. “But suburbia has little to do with the free markets that libertarians claim to believe in. Covenants, zoning, subsidies, and exclusions created it and keep it alive.” Likewise, their support of highways makes little sense from a free-market point of view. Suburban roads are, “even more than suburban neighborhoods, made by government,” he points out.

To solve this problem, says Ross, “They drew up a case for sprawl that rests overtly on population statistics and economic theories, but conveys an underlying message that is cultural and emotional. The single-family suburb embodies true Americanism, under attack by an alien cultural elite.”

social striving propels the drive-only suburban machine

May 6, 14 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

contractors

May 6, 14 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

Love it, gruen!!

May 6, 14 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Social striving is driven by corporate marketing. 

May 6, 14 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

how is everyone this evening?!

May 7, 14 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

tired.

May 7, 14 11:31 pm  · 
 · 

me too! and i just woke up from a full nights sleep...

May 8, 14 8:48 am  · 
 · 

nam, I'm conflicted.  I'm facing a situation I can't detail publicly but it's pushing all of my social justice and ethical practice buttons. It's been quietly brewing for awhile but was brought to the forefront yesterday and despite lots of exercise, a fair share of wine, and a good night's sleep I'm still just distracted, flummoxed, and angsty about it.

I'm trying to practice patience, as it may work itself out without my intervention.  But if it doesn't it's going to be a very tough decision for me.

On the other hand, I developed a little exhibition idea I'll be presenting to the AIA tonight that has so far been very well-received. Wish me luck that it will go forward!

May 8, 14 9:01 am  · 
 · 

probably need more than a 'fair share of wine' for that kind of thing. sounds like a situation demanding bourbon. at lunch.  

May 8, 14 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Just quit the PTA already.  You're much too cool for Harper Valley, anyway.

May 8, 14 10:43 am  · 
 · 

Hahaha Sarah that made me laugh.  This is not PTA-related. And Steven, tonight I will have bourbon - AIA monthly meeting and I will need it!

May 8, 14 11:41 am  · 
 · 

not that it's got a chance of measuring up to kentucky bourbon but.... you know that there's an indiana bourbon called 'big ass' don't you? and also bulleit's rye is from indiana, i think. 

May 8, 14 12:06 pm  · 
 · 

I didn't know about Big Ass.  I have had Backbone, and it is lovely.

May 8, 14 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

I'm powering through a wall section drawings today.  I LOVE doing wall sections, they are my favorite drawing, but in my entire career I've only had one project for which I was able to take time and make deeply considered decisions about the wall construction.  Mostly it's just standard practiced detials charetted out...

May 9, 14 10:35 am  · 
 · 

we were talking about that in the office today. a beautiful project here in louisville had its groundbreaking yesterday.

it's exciting when there are actually aspects of a project visible in renderings that cause our staff to have a geeky speculative conversation about how the architects achieved the illustrated conditions! we seldom get an opportunity to generate such details here.

[i won't make you wonder. it was the curved brick (?)  in the image below.]

May 9, 14 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
I can't figure that out at all, Steven. What's going on there?
May 9, 14 5:46 pm  · 
 · 

One of the nice thing about photorealistic renderings is that you can do all kinds of things that are impossible or just plain stupid in reality.

May 9, 14 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I had a professor that designed a building with curved brick like that and he called them brick tits. 

May 9, 14 11:58 pm  · 
 · 

my guess is that the curved brick flanking the windows is there to shade the windows a little. (western exposure because on the city grid).

in order to curve out like that, obviously they'll be special shapes. maybe they're cored brick and can have reinforcing run down the cores? 

i'll be curious to see it happen. completely non-cynical: i'm intrigued. 

May 10, 14 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

To all those awesome lady archinectors no matter where you are in the World. Happy Mother's Day!  Enjoy it to the max!

May 10, 14 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

steven - two floors but the facade looks like three?  I like it.  as for the "brick" - I'm guessing terracotta rainscreen system - which you can also get curved.  I guarantee those extra-deep horizontal members of the curtain wall are going to attract birds - which may or may not be what the designers are going for.

anywho - happy mom's day to all you moms.

May 11, 14 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Just listed our house on the market.  It's so sad.  I've lived here longer than anywhere else in my entire life.  I created great spaces for my son to live and play.  It's the only place he has ever known.  It's 4 miles from where I work, and any new place will be 40 minutes away.  Abram's new school will be 40 minutes from where I work.  How will I ever do all the mom stuff that is required, AND my job?

I know that we need to move, that Husband can't continue his hour long commute each way, but I hate not knowing if we're making the right choice.  It feels like the end of everything.  When does it start to look up?

May 13, 14 9:10 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

it's not the end, it's a new beginning.

May 13, 14 9:15 am  · 
 · 

Sarah, I don't know all of the details, but how is trading a 60 minute commute by your husband - who I believe does less of the child care than you - for a 40 minute commute for you turn out to be a significant gain?

May 13, 14 9:34 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Donna, most would say that it's not.  Something more middle would put us in suburgatory.  At least moving to the area I'm looking at has some cool old houses, and is walkable.  I don't want to have to drive for 20 minutes to get to groceries, or drive 20 minutes to do anything.  I also don't want to get lost in the sea of look-alike houses trying to find mine, and I have NO desire to live in the country again.  None.

I guess the prevailing thought is I can always get a job closer to home, but he can't move the location of the business we own.  He's gonna have to step up, some, though.  I won't be able to make school functions during the day anymore, so I guess Husband will have to.

May 13, 14 9:48 am  · 
 · 

Hmm. My husband is considering moving the location of his business, but he's currently renting and is considering buying a building instead.

When I took a full-time job he had to take on a lot more of the child responsibilities that conflict with my 9 to 5.  This has *not* been an easy change, so do remind your hubby of that commitment before you sell your house...

May 13, 14 10:01 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Sarah - that sucks - but it sounds like you're looking in a place that might be more neighborhood-y than where you currently live...  and don't you get summers off?

May 13, 14 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

got me a catahoula cur, y'all.

May 13, 14 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

walkable is always a plus. in my own conversations about moving commute is a key factor. length isn't as much a problematic as method/route, I think

@Donna glad to at least hear everything is alright with the PTA.

@vado what is a catahoula?

May 13, 14 10:48 pm  · 
 · 

nevermind... should have just googled first

via Wiki

May 13, 14 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

vado..my cousin raises them for cattle dogs..

May 13, 14 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Just in case mrs snooker doodle dandy is lookiing in to see what I'm blowing my mouth about....I Love her more than the day I first laid eyes on her....years ago...she is a wonderful wife and a wonderful work partner.  Thinking she only comes her looking...and not saying anything.

May 13, 14 11:03 pm  · 
 · 

Oh oh, what did you do now, snook?

May 14, 14 12:01 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

ours is a bobtail blue merle and she may have some pit in her. obtained from a drug bust, long story. 

May 14, 14 6:51 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

That is a SUPER cool facade Steven.  When it starts to go up, see if you can sneak in and get some pictures for us!  Archi-trespassing!

Sarah, I know how you feel.  It WILL start to look up - there are things in your new house (whichever you pick) that you'll fall in love with, and 5 years from now you'll find yourself thinking "I loved my old house but I really love this one too, possibly even more"… plus you get the chance for all new creative interventions!  And you'll meet new neighbors, and get all connected into your new neighborhood social group, and Abram will make friends, and after awhile you won't think about the old house anymore.  

I haven't popped in here in forever, because I got tired of the trolls, so here's hoping they're gone now.  Anyway we are expecting, that's the big news in my life, in case anyone was wondering what happened to me!

May 14, 14 8:33 am  · 
 · 

I KNEW IT!!!!!!! I knew the *instant* I saw "mantaray" as the most recent post on this thread that it was to announce a pregnancy!!  YAYAYAYAYAY!!!! Congratulations.  So exciting.

As Rick Joy said, it's just another project. But it's a fun and unpredictable one.

May 14, 14 9:10 am  · 
 · 

Hahahaha I'm totally gloating to myself today that I have pregnancy sixth sense.  I totally do.  Even though I don't believe in non-scientific psychic-connection woo bullshit, I totally know when women are pregnant.  It's not magic, it's just observation and familiarity and knowing the typical trajectory of people's lives. But nonetheless, I am going to gloat all day about my magical powers.

Magical powerz I haz them.

vado, is that adorable puppy really yours now? I know it's been a difficult road.

May 14, 14 9:12 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Yay for you, Manta!  I think I have finally decided I'm NOT having anymore.  I'm ready to get my life back, so to speak, and now that Abe is 6, I can do more.  I do still wish I could cuddle with a baby, and try my hand at parenting another one up, but I just don't want the commitment.  I'm ready for grandkids.  Abe should get busy.  Then again, I'll probably change my mind, or be surprised again, and fall apart like the last time.

Vado, is the dog REALLY yours, now?  

And manta, the trolls have been gone for a while.

May 14, 14 9:30 am  · 
 · 

Sarah, I know what you mean about babies, but honestly life is SO much easier as they get older, and in my experience the older Angus gets the more fun he is.  This may screech to a halt in the teenage years, but I doubt it.

manta, the baby years are magical, but seriously the first, like, four to six years you just have so little energy to devote to anything besides keeping this child from harm.  I remember when I first realized that Angus was actually old/aware enough that if someone tried to snatch him in the grocery store he would make a big enough fuss that it would draw enough attention to thwart it, so I could leave him in the magazine section to read MAD Magazine while I shopped.  So much easier.

Not that you *ever* stop worrying about them.  The worries become different.  Now I worry about ostracism, heartbreak, and (still) getting hit by a car while he's on a bike. <sigh>

May 14, 14 10:59 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

congrats manta!

May 14, 14 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Hi Manta. Few of you probably know that Manta and I had brunch once on my birthday. yes, that's right. we did in Chicago. And I know her real name, also! Great news. just don't name the child Troll.

Yes, Sarah she is ours now cuz we paid for her. it was a long process that involved a dog saving friend being able to find the kid and befriend and then pursuade the kid who picked up the pup the first time,  to sell precious pup to her (even though it was our money). Long story. Of course, she was covered in fleas and had worms, which we have dealt with. She is the easiest doggy, ever. Her name is Troll.

May 14, 14 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

@vado that dog definitely looks more pit than the photo from Wiki.,.

mantaray, I am so excited and happy for you!

night all

May 14, 14 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

pro-tip:  if you're going to measure a building, make sure you bring a tape in addition to the laser in case one of the rooms is a hall of mirrors.

May 16, 14 9:30 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I've unfollowed architizer on twitter - it's just a bunch of vapid bullshit.

May 16, 14 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

jia-x you in Phoenix or Tucson?

May 16, 14 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

I've unfollowed architizer on twitter - it's just a bunch of vapid bullshit.

All of twitter is vapid bullshit.

May 16, 14 8:43 pm  · 
 · 

Actually, there are interesting discussions on Twitter around very discrete topics, like the AFAM demolition. But I understand that while architecture takes up almost 100% of my consciousness it only comprises about a millionth of one percent of Twitter.

jla-x, Rick and I were friendly classmates and I have been to his current studio one time.  I'm likely headed back for homecoming this year so will likely see him this fall.

May 17, 14 10:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: