Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Feb 12 '06 52837 Last Comment
observant
May 18, 13 12:16 pm

vado:

Hipsters are in every major city I've experienced, and in bigger numbers than I'd like to see.  We went from granolas to hipsters at the blink of an eye.  People who have to make a statement so as to identify with a group are annoying.  This includes the preppies, too.  I guess it's easier to find like-minded friends that way.  And I'm still trying to figure out what granolas and hipsters have in common ... and what they don't.  What I do know is that hipsters are typically smug when they serve you coffee at the coffeehouses they work at.  With granolas, it's a wild card.

observant
May 18, 13 12:19 pm

Miles:

So what did they do to achieve the stucco look in the N.E. prior to EIFS?  Three coat stucco?  It would have required a lot of maintenance - actually in any northern tier climate.  What options are there instead of EIFS, new version included, if a client wants that monolithic troweled exterior look for their home?

Miles JaffeMiles Jaffe
May 18, 13 12:19 pm

In NY hipsters are readily identified by pork pie hats. 

observant
May 18, 13 12:26 pm

Anywhere I've been hipsters are readily identifiable by their BAD attitude.

Miles JaffeMiles Jaffe
May 18, 13 12:51 pm

^ I try not to get that close.

re EIFS:

Three coats is best. And good detailing. And regular maintenance.

After showing the client performance data and litigation history for EIFS I think they'd be happy to entertain alternatives.

What would you tell a client who wanted to build an igloo in Florida?

observant
May 18, 13 1:15 pm

^

Consult Disney's architects in Orlando or Burbank to get the specs for whatever faux blocks they use for an exhibit that looks like it's near the Arctic Circle.  And that would be "cool," since block units are the norm for "house" construction in South Florida.  (I've always wondered what the line of demarcation was for wood studs to masonry units for house construction in Florida, going from north to south).

Miles JaffeMiles Jaffe
May 18, 13 4:55 pm

Disney uses artificial sto over carved styrofoam. 

observant
May 18, 13 6:26 pm

Ok, then, for the igloo in Florida, one would have to bring an enclosure consultant on board.  Or, they could actually design a reinforced concrete dome, and then apply some exterior surface, with the scoring, to make it look like (faux) igloo blocks, and then apply some upper coat of finish to make it look shiny and frosty, like ice.  Some consultant would be required along the way, especially to weigh in on the likelihood of performance.  It would remind people in Florida of something kitsch, just like one has over-sized donuts and hot dogs which dot the Southern California landscape, as beacons for what is sold there.

snooker-doodle-dandy
May 18, 13 8:00 pm

Spent the morning with my lady friend...http://blog.preservationnation.org/2013/05/09/skees-diner-a-slice-of-americana-in-progress/#.UZgUtpyE5wR.  We have her moved and stored in a warehouse.  The guy who moved her actually on his own accord assembled an W Flange Beam structure underneath her after off loading her from the Flat Bed Truck.  So this morning we  assembled some  6X6 wood cribbing under both ends of the diner just to be sure there were no odd stresses acting on her frame.  We are a manageable group of people so things actually moved along smoothly and we were done by 10:30 so everyone was off to do their Saturday things.  Mine was starting the prep work to paint my garage.  It was a beautiful day so  I didn't mind being outside  doing some home improvement labor. 

observant
May 18, 13 8:03 pm

s-d-d:

I envy you.   A warm, sunny spring day, presumably in New England, sounds great.

vado retro
May 18, 13 8:16 pm

some asshole stole our lawnmower. i loved our lawnmower.

b3tadine[sutures]
May 18, 13 10:07 pm

WTF?

Miles JaffeMiles Jaffe
May 18, 13 11:12 pm

I gave my lawn mower away. I hated it.

Sarah Hamilton
May 19, 13 9:19 am

That's a very strange thing to steal. Blame it on the wife-beater down the street.

observant
May 19, 13 12:31 pm

^
Mostly, I'm trying to visualize HOW the asshole stole it.  Did he walk away with it as if it was a stroller, did he throw it into a vehicle, or did he walk down the street pretending to do bicep curls with it?  Weird.

snooker-doodle-dandy
May 19, 13 12:57 pm

Thinking he must of had the "Lawn Mowing Swagger." You know the one where Vado goes into the house for a cold beer comes back out side and damn the thing is no where in sight.  I had a snow shovel toe the same thing a few years ago.  I thought who the hell would steal a snow shovel by coming into someones yard and grab the thing and run, when I was all but ten feet away grabbing some nutrition.

jw468
May 19, 13 1:49 pm

Someone stole the coil out of our central air conditioner, destroying the entire unit.  It's amazing what people will steal.  Of course, in our case, the thief wanted the copper.

I've never heard of someone's lawn mower getting stolen.  What kind was it?

vado retro
May 19, 13 2:09 pm

its my own fault. left the garage door open. some opportunistic thief must have just walked in and took it. how they got out between our cars i don't know. bought a reel mower to replace it. now i'm on lock down. motion lights are on and guard cats are at the ready.

Miles JaffeMiles Jaffe
May 19, 13 3:47 pm

When things get bad, petty crime goes up. I have an in-law whose fuel oil tank has been emptied more than once. Apparently things aren't getting better.

snooker-doodle-dandy
May 19, 13 5:23 pm

Friend of mine today told me someone stole the pump for their Swimming Pool.  Which is a bummer with Summer just around the corner.  Just another unwanted cost in life.

observant
May 19, 13 5:59 pm

Yeah, and there is/was a wave of catalytic converter thefts, with somebody cutting it from your car's exhaust system ... sometimes in the blink of an eye.  That's why having an SUV sucks, in more ways than one. I think it's the palladium beads, or some other metal in there, that they want.

Donna SinkDonna Sink
May 19, 13 6:38 pm

Lawn mowers are frequently stolen here in my urban village. Usually from an unlocked garage adjacent to the alley late at night.

vado we got an electric mower. It's called Worx, I think. I love that dang mower! It's actually fun to use. The push reel was eventually not enough machine for the size of our yard - I got too worn out pushing it back and forth over the same spot 20 times!

curtkram
May 20, 13 9:19 am

donna, is your mower corded or battery?  does the battery last after sitting in a garage over the winter, or if does the cord gets in the way?

i think there was a rash of catalytic converter thefts near my neighborhood.

toasteroven
May 20, 13 11:04 am

since I'm too lazy to post to news: the too smart city

y'all need to get some lo-jack on your lawn mowers.

vado retro
May 20, 13 11:12 am

yeah our lawn is small(er) but damn i used that Reel Mower in about 85 degree temp i was done. it mows alright and i'll probably keep it for the exercise.

observant
May 20, 13 1:14 pm

You all need to sharpen those lawn movers to deal with summer's taller grass.  The automakers need to sharpen the edges of those catalytic converters, so a few of those thieves might likely get cut in the process.  And you WASPs need to sharpen your hot guy spotting skills.  I forgot to throw this in.  Someone show me an adult American male who is forced to pick between Jason Alexander, Andy Dick, and George Clooney as to who is the better looking, and if they can't answer that, emphatically saying "I REALLY don't know," then I'll show you an adult Nile Crocodile that you can pet ... and live to tell about it.  (Clooney can't act, and I've only seen one of his movies - he is no Kevin Spacey or Kevin Kline, who are REAL actors).

The psychology faculties study this kind of stuff.  Looks are generally positively correlated with wealth.  The 9s and 10s get handed things in life, or are handed more than what their abilities should allow for.  The 7s and 8s still need to work at school and at a career more diligently.  No free lunch there.  Now, if you see a doctor who is a 4 and his wife is an 8, you get 3 guesses as to why, and the first 2 don't count.  (Hint:  it ain't the looks, nor any sexual prowess).  This isn't shallowness.  It's life.  Political correctness needs to go away.  Reality needs to make a comeback.

Crap, I'm fasting and starving, because I have to go for a blood draw (check for cholesterol and sugar levels), so I'm especially ornery right now.

observant
May 20, 13 9:50 pm

Seeing the news photos of the wide swath of destruction caused by the tornadoes in Oklahoma is shocking and very sad.  Entire neighborhoods have been turned to rubble.  We need to keep those affected in our thoughts and prayers.

Nam HendersonNam Henderson
May 20, 13 10:00 pm

hi TC, so i just read this post re: the Berlage. If just now they write "offers a postgraduate master’s degree program which is expected to be accredited this year." have they ever offered an accredited degree? if not was that the source of their cache? or did i just misunderstand. seems they had a pretty theoretically heavy list of instructors.

also hope everyone had a Merry Monday! i had a long one and am ready for bed!

jw468
May 21, 13 11:20 am

It's usually nice and quiet here, but the neighbor directly across the road is having his very large acreage of pines logged.

Donna SinkDonna Sink
May 21, 13 2:30 pm

Oof, that high-pitched whiny sound of a chainsaw, no fun.

I've worn painting clothes - jeans, crappy Tshirt, sneaks - to work the last two days.  Probably will for the next two weeks.  It's nice, but on the other hand makes me feel much less professional.

toasteroven
May 21, 13 2:48 pm

every day I feel less and less professional.

observant
May 21, 13 3:16 pm

Professionalism and apparel is a thread in and of itself.

Some days, just because other clothes were dirty, I would switch out from casual pants and a polo shirt into a coat and tie.  It was NOT appreciated by my peers.  The vibe turned on a dime.  That's kind of effed up.  I'm not talking designer suits here, but $149 jackets bought at the Men's Wearhouse, with some decent slacks, and an outlet tie costing about $19.  Why are some people so uptight?  Periodically, I like to go buy jackets and ties, and that's my "issue," not theirs.

I've got this name brand pale green/pistachio colored tie with a "bas relief" sort of paisley design on it.  Nordstrom Rack:  $17.  I love wearing that thing.  Good taste at a bargain basement price.  But, sometimes, it's not "appropriate."

tint
May 21, 13 3:22 pm

hmmm, interesting. Almost.

Hey, does Rusty come around here any more?

observant
May 21, 13 3:35 pm

hmmm, interesting. Almost.

Hey, does Rusty come around here any more?

You're more than welcome to make well articulated posts.  They're easier to read and get visuals from than are the cryptic, "way cool" ones.  Cheers.

curtkram
May 21, 13 3:46 pm

i found the question about Rusty to be quite articulate and understandable.  your answer does not seem to adequately cover what she was looking for.

observant
May 21, 13 3:49 pm

^

Like they say, "You learn something new every day."

I just learned "there is no there" is a woman.  While acquiring that knowledge didn't make my day, it did illuminate a light bulb.

Thanks, curt.

curtkram
May 21, 13 5:25 pm

hmm.  that's what you got out of that?

and there wasn't some voice in the back of your head saying 'maybe i shouldn't define people by gender stereotype.'  or that nagging voice that said 'maybe not posting would be the preferable option in this situation.'

i don't actually know there is no there.  i have no idea if 'she' was correct or not.

observant
May 21, 13 5:44 pm

gender stereotype

Not the issue at all.  I had just envisioned that poster to be male.  With many of the handles on here being androgynous, it's hard to tell what people are unless there is a definitive read by their postings.  Most of us make visual pictures of people, whether we're on line or are talking to them on the telephone at a car dealership, a restaurant, and whatnot.  I certainly do that.

Donna SinkDonna Sink
May 21, 13 6:55 pm

curtkram, our mower is cordless and we plug the battery in overnight to charge enough to do our front and back yards plus my MIL's front yard.

snooker-doodle-dandy
May 21, 13 7:02 pm

I signed one of my biggest contracts in shorts, flip flops and a tee shirt.  What does that say about professional....now you all know why I bring blow up dolls to AIA meetings.

Nam HendersonNam Henderson
May 21, 13 7:21 pm

snooker, oh is that why :P

personally, i like to keep my top button always buttoned at work. it's like my final piece of kit to face the day.. many coworkers can't stand it.

snooker-doodle-dandy
May 21, 13 7:29 pm

Nothing wrong with that Nam....piss in their face....with your bow tie and top button closed....cause that way they will never see the tat on your chest and arms... just kidding.

observant
May 21, 13 8:29 pm

s-d-d:

^^^ - that's fine, but if I've gone out and bought some of these articles, then I want to wear them every now and then, rather than let the moths eat them ... and not wait for a wedding or a funeral.

toasteroven
May 21, 13 9:00 pm

of course nam is referring to his trousers.  it definitely makes it harder to kiss his ass.

This is what I typically wear to work:

observant
May 21, 13 9:07 pm

^

I see several scoops of a tangerine sorbet gelato.

toasteroven
May 21, 13 9:14 pm

it was the final model for my masters thesis.

now it's fashion.

Steven WardSteven Ward
May 21, 13 9:19 pm

Cool pants and shoes, though.

toasteroven
May 21, 13 9:38 pm

yeah - those trousers are pretty awesome.  Not sure about the shoes, though... I've soured on pricey non-leather-soled shoes since I have a tendency to wear through them.

Sarah Hamilton
May 22, 13 8:50 am

I was going to comment last night about understanding what observant meant when judging screen names as male or female. I was going to use toasteroven as an example because I used to think he was a girl, but then there was a comment and I was completely unsure. But now, with that comment about the shoes, I'm believing that toast is a guy. ...unless he's a girl that wears men's shoes, which is possible since I wore boy's Dr Martins all through college.

Why is it that we (and I'm saying we because I don't want to be alone on this) need to diferentiate between the two? I find this to be true in real life as well. If I see a person that is a bit androgynous, it bugs me just because I can't tell if I should say he or she, sir or mam. Heck, the made a whole movie about!

And I find I'm the same way about sexuality. No matter how often I tell myself it doesn't matter, and its not my business, I still want to know. Of course, I'm not brazen enough to ask, and when students ask me about other students, I tell them that I don't know, and that it doesn't matter anyway. I wish I could think about it like underwear. I have never given a single thought to whether a person wears boxers, briefs, lace thongs, or cotton bikinis. Why can't sexuality be like that?

And now that I've gone on this whole diatribe, I realize that I'm always asking students their cultural heritage and religion. I do this out of monstrous curiosity, nothing more.

Is it just me? Do I have an obsessive need to catogorize people?

tint
May 22, 13 9:27 am

Now THAT is interesting, toaster.

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading