Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

curtkram

are we on the same page here?  this certainly isn't a bmw.  it's far better than any bmw.

and sarha, that's awesome you own a shop on top of teaching and whatnot.

Jul 29, 13 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I DROVE A 1956 FIRE ENGINE RED CHEVROLET STATION WAGON WITH A WHITE ROOF.  MY DAD BOUGHT IT NEW IN 1956 AND ALL SIX OF HIS KIDS DROVE IT AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER. THEN I MOVED ONTO A 1964 MORRIS MINOR, WHICH  I DROVE FROM THE HIGH PLAINS TO BOSTON.  I HAD IT IN BEAN TOWN FOR A TOTAL OF TWO WEEKS BEFORE IT WAS  NICKED. 

I ROAD DOWN A BACK COUNTRY ROAD IN A  FRIENDS 1970 ROADRUNNER,  WITH WHAT I BELIEVE WAS A 454 WITH A SIX PACK  UNDER THE HOOD. IT WAS  IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. WE TOPPED  IT OUT A 140 MPH. WHEN WE SAW A BUNCH OF  EYEBALLS IN THE ROAD.  TURNS OUT IT WAS THE DAIRY FARMERS CATTLE CROSSING THE ROAD. WE WERE LUCKY STIFFS, THANK GOD WE DIDN'T HIT ONE.   NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT, I HAVE NO IDEA HOW  I EVER SURVIVED MY YOUTH.

WHERE I GREW UP EVERY ONE LIVED FOR THEIR MUSCLE CARS.  i HAVE ONE BUDDY WHO HAS HIS  71 CUDA SITTING IN A BARN ON HIS FARM.  HE ALWAYS SAYS WHEN HE RETIRES HE IS GOING TO BRING HER BACK TO LIFE.  REMEMBER IT BEING BRIGHT PURPLE WITH A WHITE INTERIOR.

Jul 29, 13 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

SORRY THAT WAS A 440 WITH A SIX PACK. DON'T WANT PEOPLE GOING BALLISTIC ON ME.

Jul 29, 13 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Cars can be more fun than architecture.  I said "can be."

We needed another car in the family.  My dad happened onto a low mileage steal in the Times classifieds.  He objected to a Pontiac because ONE person he knew had a bad one and he typically bought Oldsmobile and Buick.  He bought this 70 Pontiac LeMans coupe, the same body style the GTO was made out of.  It was owned by a transplant from moist WA state, so it did not have air conditioning.  Moreover, it had the 250 c.i. in-line 6 cylinder engine.  Those have a 7 main bearing crank, are all cast-iron, and are bullet proof.  (This same model could have also been outfitted with a 400 V8).  Under the hood, it was a joke, because there was this long engine with a small air cleaner, every plug was accessible, and all this unused space.  It had no power options - not even a tilt wheel.  The only negative thing was that it had drum brakes all around and, in the front, these don't dissipate rain and puddle water like discs.  This car gave us the least problems of ANY car that I know of.  And it was bought because our family dog was not allowed to ride in our nicer cars with the plush interiors. 

Jul 29, 13 8:42 pm  · 
 · 

This is why we're screwed. A discussion lamenting car culture turns to celebrating it in the blink of an eye. 

Jul 29, 13 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
observant

This was before "innocence lost."  We all have good memories of our childhood cars.  In essence, cars are mobile architecture.  We've come a long way - from unbridled fuel consumption to cars such as 4-cyl. Ford Fusions that get mid-30 mpg and run clean, and this is without the hybrid or other boosts which make them pricey.  It can only be expected that the technology will become better and more socially responsible.  What is a person in rural Oklahoma to do, for example?  They have no options other than having a car.

Jul 29, 13 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

two things, you couldn't gift me a GM product to drive, or slum around in, those things are always shooting axles out the side - shitty 12 bolt rears. 2. they use variations of the 426 Hemi in everything running on the track, everything else is horse dung.

Oh, and when Chevy decides to build a car as wicked as fuck as the 69' Hemi Cuda Fastback, let me know.

Jul 29, 13 10:18 pm  · 
 · 

Simple facts about cars:

When you drive yourself to the post office or wherever you are using a 3,000+ lb machine to transport a 150 lb person. Even if the car is 100% efficient, the resulting efficiency is 5% (150/3,000=.05).

Electric cars are barely 1/3 as efficient as promoted. Why? Because the national electric grid operates at about 1/3 efficiency. Transmission losses within the electrical grid account for about 2/3 of the power generated.

Using Motor Trend's 0.32 kW-hr/mile rating for the Chevy Volt - equal to about 105 mpg - what you really have is 0.96 kW-hr/mile, equal to about 35 mpg. Gas-electric hybrids routinely achieve 50-60 mpg, but have an lower weight efficiency because of the increased weight of the batteries.

Jul 29, 13 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
observant

two things, you couldn't gift me a GM product to drive, or slum around in

So, what's better, then?  They've delivered me safely from sea to shining sea without breakdowns, with over 100,000 miles (161,000 km) on the odometer on each trip, and this was before their reliability got better.

Jul 29, 13 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

We had a leMans for a while.  Beautiful car, white with a black vinyl top.

And I don't have a preference mechanically about car brands.  I currently drive a 1983 BMW 320i, and it doesn't have working A/C.  I love the car, but I have to carefully plan my day trips.  Only go out in the mornings, park in shade, never leave anything in the car because I don't want to have to crank the windows and sunroof closed.  Oh, and always flip the driver seat forward so the vinyl seats don't turn to molten lava.  It's also slow as molasses.  I think it tops out at 80 mph, and it doesn't have power steering, and only power-assisted brakes.

I think cars tend to evoke an emotional response in people.  They are objects that we are intimately connected with.  At the same time, they can be terribly inefficient, and there IS that dependence on oil thing.

I don't think you can actually ask people to give up cars completely; it'd be like asking them to give up scotch.

Jul 30, 13 10:11 am  · 
 · 
observant

For those who love to moan about architecture, here's the list of the 5 worst companies in America to work for, courtesy of MSN-Money this morning.  View slide show:

http://money.msn.com/investing/worst-companies-to-work-for-in-2013-1

Jul 30, 13 10:51 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I don't think you can actually ask people to give up cars completely; it'd be like asking them to give up scotch.

more like tobacco - and you're only emotionally attached because you're dependent on them - you live part of your life in them.

Jul 30, 13 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I'd disagree.  Some days when I need a lift, I drive.  A quick turn in a fine handling car always puts a grin on my face, and for a while, I'm focused on the task of driving well, and not thinking of problems and stress.  And don't even get me started on tracking a car.  It's such a challenge on all levels of human development, and your focus has to be so on that you can't think of anything else.  I'll be stress free for the whole weekend.

It's exactly like scotch.

Jul 30, 13 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
observant

A scenic drive has proven to be more of a stress reliever for me than a drink.   And here I was espousing staying away from alcohol for its high cost.  I'd say that drive requires at least 4 gallons, or about $15.

Jul 30, 13 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

My husband is going to the Salt Flats next weekend to race a car he rebuilt for a client (the client will drive, my husband is just going for fun/support). The car is from the 50s.

Car culture is one thing.  Being so entrenched in a lifestyle that doesn't allow one to *not* own a car that one doesn't even see their own predicament is another thing.

I love driving my Miata. Downshifting then accelerating through turns brings a smile to my face, like Sarah said. But I'd be happy to keep my driving experience as a weekend-only funtime pursuit if it meant every other daily task could be accomplished on public transit or pedestrian paths.

Which reminds me of another quote from my favorite architecture critic, Charles Mudede, quoting someone else (don't remember who): in a city the sidewalk is much less like a road and much more like a park.  It's a long narrow park where one moves, sees, interacts, exercises, accomplishes tasks, and connects with others.  The street, on the other hand, is just about moving from one place to the next.

Jul 30, 13 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i love pushing my motorless reel mower around in the 95 degree 95 percent humidity louisianastan summer while every yahoo drives by in some yukon or f350 bullshit truck.

"i am doing this for you, assholes!"

Jul 30, 13 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

And here I was just telling my husband I want my next mower to have an electric starter on it.  I'm tired of having to have my 5 y.o. hold the handle bars together, while yell "1 2 3 PUSH" and pull on the cord.  Stupid lawn mower.  Vado, you can come mow my lawn anytime.

Jul 30, 13 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

what's better than a GM? Every single MOPAR from 1964-1971, hands down. Better motors, better transmissions, better rears, and better unitized construction. 

Jul 30, 13 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

Well, I wasn't plugged in to those years in automobiles.  I will say that, after that, GM fared well in the engine department, with the great Chevy small block 350 V8, as well as the large block 454.  (I even think the older Chevy 283, 307, and 327 were ultra dependable).  However, my favorite engine series would be the Olds Rocket V8s, such as the 350, 455, and later the 403 (late 70s) and 307 (5.0 L of the 1980s).  They weren't used for racing like Chevy, but rather for at least 250,000 miles of motoring without a tear-down if maintained.  Also, GM put out a pretty indestructible transmission in its RWD Turbo 400 Hydra-matic, and its RWD Turbo 350 was pretty good, though not as good. 

Jul 30, 13 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

True Confessions  Taj Mahal  (White 1984 Mercury Grande Marque) is sitting in my drive way. It says on the glove box  "Engineered Drive."  We say  he is like driving your living room. I should actually spend some Love time with him this coming weekend, charge the battery, roll down the windows, blow out all the leaves that accumulate under the front hood, wax the car and clean and treat the soft top so he is once again.  I'm the second owner. I bought him from a neighbor who was 92. The state told him he couldn't drive anymore, and well this was his wife's car she was also 92 and never really ever drove the car so when I purchased it for $1,300.00 it had 40,000 miles on the odometer, new tires and a new exhaust system. I pay $22.00 a year in property taxes on him.  Keep thinking  she now has more value because of the Auto Crushing  Binge  the Feds promoted a few years ago.  Many other cars from that year saw the crusher since the cut off date was 1984.  Oh ya and were talking a real revolution she was made in "Canada."

Jul 30, 13 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Oh ya and were talking a real revolution she was made in "Canada."

My current and penultimate car were built by GM of Canada, at the Oshawa plant in Ontario.

Jul 30, 13 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
The 80s were NOT kind to American auto-design.
Jul 30, 13 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Sarah.....sigh....Taj  looks as good as any 80's Building in America....lol

Jul 30, 13 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Sarah.....and I have the crushed Valoooooooor....red interior.

Jul 30, 13 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

In another world I did get to ride in a 1933 Rolls Royce Woodie.  We drove the old girl  for about a 35 mile round trip.  Oz, picked up the Car in England in the 1970's, had her shipped home to America.  He thought it was a good investment at the time...and I believe he was right.  However my favorite automotive  strut about was his  was a convertible Packard with a golf club port behind the front seat and  a vacation  box which attached to the  back.  All fricking original down to the top....restored by a guy who worked for packard......then there was the Model  T  Ford Farm Truck , with an oak flat bed and  canopy with mica windows inserted into a  leather  arrangement covering the flat bed. He said people always wanted him to paint it something other than the flat black...and he said no because that is the way Mr. Ford wanted it so it will stay that way.

Oh by the way  I grew up in a family of the Automotive mechanically inclined....me however was the designated  flashlight holder or the  automotive light holder so me dad could see what the hell he was doing in the middle of winter on a dark night.  This was usually so my mum would have a car to drive to the University  the next morning.  Ya my ma went back to school when she had  six kids in elementary and secondary school....To this day I loath working on automotive problems, but I know I'm capable so I do it....but  I always double the amount of time it is going to take to resolve the problem. I do the basics...  leave the real work to the professionals....but every time I see the cost per hour....it makes me think twice.

Jul 30, 13 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
Thecurseofthegoldtooth

The following is what I want:

A. Morphosis to break up/fail

B. Thom Mayne to live in new york city.

I want this in six years.  Make it happen, people.

Jul 31, 13 3:58 am  · 
 · 

You live in NY and want Thom to enter your local dating pool, in other words?

I love Mobius strips.  Always have, always will.

Jul 31, 13 7:50 am  · 
 · 

morning all

I am. I week an counting for vacation/roadtrip to CO and back. Can't wait. Any tips for places to visit in KC, Denver, ST. Louis or Chatanooga?

Jul 31, 13 8:08 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Donna, I just mentioned Mobius strips in the "paper modeling" thread. What made you think of them? (did I miss something in TC?) Nam, have you ever been to Colorado before? Microbreweries are quite abundant here. City Museum in St Louis is a must-see. http://citymuseum.org/site/

Jul 31, 13 8:32 am  · 
 · 

Anything by El Dorado in Kansas City.

Any event that Bread! KC is doing (also in Kansas City).

The condo building across the street from the Denver Art Museum - one of only two Libeskind projects in which I can find any merit.

Boulder.  And outside of Boulder, I.M.Pei's National Center for Atmospheric Research.

there is no there, I watched a little video explaining how the universe can be both infinite and bounded, and it mentioned Mobius strips, which are, in two dimensions, both infinite and bounded.

Jul 31, 13 9:42 am  · 
 · 

Not exactly how I would define "infinite".

A möbius strip is simply a single sided surface, at least in theory. A single-sided 3D shape is known as a Klein bottle, and unlike a möbius strip it has no edge boundaries. 

Jul 31, 13 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Donna, see also tesseracts. Isn't that a great word?

Jul 31, 13 9:57 am  · 
 · 

@there is no there 

been to CO but not for about 15 yrs. wasn't drinking at time, can't wait to try out the various beers etc...

Lived in St.  Louis when i was younger for a few years and so am quite familiar with City Museum, awesome place!

thanks Donna

Jul 31, 13 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sarah, no power steering? Do you have strong arms?  

Nam, if you want to do some hiking, there are some fabulous trails around I.M. Pei's laboratory that Donna mentioned. For tea time, try the http://www.boulderteahouse.com/ . Also near Denver, is the Red Rocks Amphitheatre and they have a nice visitor's center too. In Denver, check out the arts district on Santa Fe Ave. For brew pubs, try Vine Street Pub in Denver or Mountain Sun or their other location Southern Sun in Boulder.

Jul 31, 13 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Oh, and personally, I think the toroid is a good model for expressing bounded infinity. 

Jul 31, 13 10:47 am  · 
 · 
observant

s-d-d:

As for your "valoor" interior, are you sure it isn't maroon instead of red?  They're not rolling bordellos.  Close, but not quite.  Two cars ago, the one that went to almost 300,000 (yes, GM) had a maroon "valoor" interior ... and my hand-me down, three cars ago, had the plump blue "valoor" interior, sort of like taking your living room for long road trips.  That one was the most comfortable car I've ever owned, and those days are gone.  We have capitulated to the Europeans and Japanese.  We had no choice.  When I got the brochure for my current car, it was gray or tan inside, and that was it.

Nam:

In St. Louis, you'll want to go to the top of the Gateway Arch, the Science Center, Union Station (less interesting than when it was just redone), and "the Hill," if you like Italian food.  I no longer remember the names of the restaurants, but most are reasonably priced.

In Kansas City, you'll want to see the Seville inspired Plaza, the Sprint Arena, the general planning of the city with its fountains and traffic nodes which earned it the name "the Paris of the Plains," and take in the BBQ (barbeque, not Brooklyn-Bronx-Queens).  Curt should rattle off a few places.

In Denver, the downtown core itself sucks, but the skyscraper that looks like an electric razor at the top is worth a picture.  You should do the loop trip that takes you to granola infested Boulder (the original architecture of UCo-Boulder is beautiful), Estes Park, and then down the mountains to Idaho Springs, where you pick up I-70 again.  If you like checking out nice homes in forested suburbs, try Evergreen, Conifer, and Genesee Park.  Take in a performing event at Red Rocks amphitheater, or just see it.  Yes, there is a microbrewery culture there, but someone else will need to help you with that.   I'm sure there's even more to the area.

Jul 31, 13 11:17 am  · 
 · 

Quondam: Yes, you're correct.  The example given, though, was for a two-dimensional being who only understands and moves in two-dimensional space. Then the examples in the video - including a torus - became more complex and included three dimensions.

I tried twisting a paper Mobius strip into a Klein bottle, but I couldn't.

Jul 31, 13 11:47 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

isn't there an art scene of sorts in "lodo" (lower downtown in denver)?  it's been a while, but i remember a few galleries i rather liked.  there was an espn sports bar nearby as i recall.  it's been a few years, so maybe it all fell apart.

oklahoma joes is widely considered the best barbeque in the area for kansas city.  arthur bryant's is one of the old-school classics some of the purists like.

Jul 31, 13 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

maroon indeed....still looks red to me.

Jul 31, 13 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Only need strong arms when the car is moving slowly, such as in a parking lot. And I ALWAYS need two hands to turn the wheel.

I took my car on a 2.5 hour road trip to the country today. Listened to Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, and ZZ Top. Reminded myself how much I love the song Rhiannon. It makes me feel confident, empowered, or sexy. I'm not sure which, though. Maybe they're intertwined. Confidence is sexy, right? Or is it sexiness that brings confidence?
Jul 31, 13 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

st. louis...

I miss Talayna's salad.  it had these deep-fried croutons and some kind of cheese substance - combined with lettuce and their special sauce...

Jul 31, 13 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

cONFIDENCE IS SEXY.

cADDING CAUSES BIZARRE CAPITALIZATIONS.

Jul 31, 13 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Or is it sexiness that brings confidence?

Sexiness brings confidence.  Some people erroneously think they are sexy and learn the hard way, or never learn, that their confidence is misplaced.

For some, money and power, in lieu of sexiness, brings them confidence .  For that variation, one only needs to listen to the news.

Jul 31, 13 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

I started a thread.

Jul 31, 13 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
But if you're a theoretical two-dimensional being, there is no such thing as "rolling up" the paper, because there's no conception of the third dimension. I get it, Quondam, but the parameters of the example didn't allow for a third dimension. Yet a being was still able to travel an infinite path that was bounded.
Jul 31, 13 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

rolling up paper involves Mary Jane...and she makes you think your seeing  3 dimensional, but everything is still flat.

Jul 31, 13 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

Flatland by Edwin Abbot

Jul 31, 13 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Q, i am eagerly waiting to take delivery of Volume 1, should be here in a couple of weeks.

Jul 31, 13 8:25 pm  · 
 · 

Quondam: a 2D surface can exist in 3D space. Such a surface could be warped into a sphere, mobius strip or Klein bottle. A 2D being would simply be warped with the surface and remain unabke to perceive the third dimension. Abbot's Flatland deals precisely with this issue.

Jul 31, 13 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Nam- I'd recommend the Hunter Museum in Chattanooga. Also, walk along the waterfront and the old city. I haven't been there in a loooonggg time but have always enjoyed Chattanooga. It''s a beautiful little town. 

Jul 31, 13 9:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: