Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

gruen
A spammer who posted. Looks like the mods took it down.
Feb 23, 13 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Spent tonight at a big deal opening party for the new local Art Hotel called The Alexander. We were invited because Brian has work there but also the IMA did the art consulting/curating and I did lots of elevation studies and lighting coordination to figure out art placement for all the art. It was a very fancy party with excellent food and beverages and an outstanding dessert bar with Moscato. I wore my United Nude shoes that I bought from WonderK several years ago in the old Archinect buying/selling forum, what was that called?

Anyway, two openings of Brian's work in two weekends in two cities 4,000 miles apart. I feel so glamorous.
Feb 23, 13 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
Spent tonight at a big deal opening party for the new local Art Hotel called The Alexander. We were invited because Brian has work there but also the IMA did the art consulting/curating and I did lots of elevation studies and lighting coordination to figure out art placement for all the art. It was a very fancy party with excellent food and beverages and an outstanding dessert bar with Moscato. I wore my United Nude shoes that I bought from WonderK several years ago in the old Archinect buying/selling forum, what was that called?

Anyway, two openings of Brian's work in two weekends in two cities 4,000 miles apart. I feel so glamorous.
Feb 24, 13 8:02 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Fancy Dranks!

Feb 24, 13 9:10 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Then you came home to piles of laundry and dirty dishes, right?
Feb 24, 13 9:44 am  · 
 · 

Came home to a sleepover in which our guest went to bed early and woke up to vomit at 7am, and as soon as I got him packed off to home I discovered dog poop on the floor.  So yes, back to regularly scheduled life.

How did that double post happen? Hmmm.

Feb 24, 13 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Boy's must got into the Whiskey while you were out...and tossed an Aussie Arizona Party!

Feb 24, 13 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

that reminds me - I've heard several stories of poop on/under a principal's desk that have supposedly taken place at different offices.  I'm not sure if it's the same urban legend or if it's a common occurrence at arch firms.

I have enough bizarre architecture-related stories of my own - but never have experienced poop in an office first-hand.

Feb 24, 13 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Here's why I got fired-Poop!

Feb 25, 13 12:31 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
That CAD monkey thread just reminded me of this crazy dream I had....

I was inspired, and talking to Hillary Clinton about designing a splash-park. It would be included in her already built tree of life park, which was like the tree from Avatar meets the chandelier in the Foster opera house meets Alice in Wonderland all packed together to create an exploration adventure full of serenity and wonder.

My design would built on hers, but would be a fallen tree, all in white, with fountains and places to climb and giggle.

We talked and walked, and she said "you know, there is a competition coming up, you should enter." Of course then she began trying to put her own ideas onto my design, imaging more of a realistic stage set than abstract tree form.

And now I'm not sure if it was Hilary Clinton or Oprah. Maybe both?
Feb 25, 13 8:27 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

They are the same person, Sarah.

Feb 25, 13 10:13 am  · 
 · 

hi from rotterdam... i spent today shaking off the jetlag, preparing for diving into the archives tomorrow, and walking around/getting lost in the neighborhood that my hotel is in... during my walk i passed by several architecture offices and almost stopped into the last one to ask for directions...

Feb 25, 13 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

You should have.  It could've been awesome!  They might've shown you around, and then taken you to the places where only the coolest architects and designers hang out.  Then, as you're discussing what makes good design capital Architecture, they invite you to join their team, and make you head principal with your sketches and ideas plastered all over the best glossies. I still regret my missed opportunities from when I was abroad, and all because I was scared or embarrassed.  Wish I was more of a YES person.

I should probably see that movie....

Feb 25, 13 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

It's been over a year since I've stretched my design muscle properly and I think I've completely lost my mojo.  Anyone have suggestions of where to go, besides here?  I really need to stop by more frequently.

Feb 25, 13 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Give us some idea, and I'm sure we could help. And there's always Pinterest for eye candy.

Or you could start one of those "design my bathroom for me" threads.
Feb 25, 13 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

melty!  I occasionally get off on a number of the shelter rag repost blogs (like desire to inspire) - but a lot of my inspiration comes from walking/biking around my fair city and environs.  Although I feel the most refreshed after spending some time either communing with the trees, or those few weekends in the summer out on the islands...

Feb 25, 13 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

Donna, the double-post was just because it was that glamorous right...?

Also, it's not the first-time he has been quoted as saying similar things, but i can't help but respect Libeskind when he says stuff like this. Particularly because i think he does "walk the talk" so to speak...

Or am I wrong?

Feb 25, 13 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

Donna, is this hotel an artist’s incubator like the good old timer Chelsea in NYC?

Feb 26, 13 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Toast, you sound so Thoreau.
Feb 26, 13 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

according to mrs. toaster, walden pond "smells like dead fish - and pot."

Feb 27, 13 12:30 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

according to mrs. toaster, walden pond "smells like dead fish - and pot."

Your mom smells more like fishsticks and rubbing alcohol to me. But sense of smell is so subjective.

Feb 27, 13 12:45 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

huh - your mom smells like tartar sauce and cotton balls....  weird.

Feb 27, 13 1:04 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I make the best tarter sauce. Never tried to make cotton balls.
Feb 27, 13 9:30 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i think toaster's and rusty's moms should meet each other.

Feb 27, 13 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Ever design a fictional project (outside of school)? I am designing a Memory Palace in Sketchup. It is like being in studio again, designing solely for sensory experience!

Feb 27, 13 10:29 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

what is this thread about anyway?

Feb 27, 13 10:53 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Bulgar Blogger, is that a rhetorical question?

Feb 27, 13 11:07 am  · 
 · 

to be Thread Central, that is all...

also who has read Charles Jencks on heteroarchitecture , "en-formality" , "Dead Tech" and LA style/ the LA School? Guess it is old (late 90s?) ? but just came across recently.

Feb 27, 13 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

what is this thread about anyway?

the suppository for archinect lore.

Feb 27, 13 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Suppository, nice. Who is the installer of that there suppository?

Feb 27, 13 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
observant

This thread is perfectly aligned with what a school friend said about majoring in architecture:

"If you're fucked up and don't know what you want to be, then be an architect, because you can be everything - an artist, an engineer, a historian, an economist, and a psychologist."

Some of the quietest people come up with the best zingers, like the above.

Feb 27, 13 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Zingers. Chocolate. Vanilla. Raspberry Zingers.

Feb 28, 13 8:27 am  · 
 · 
observant

^ Chocolate.  Damn, I need to buy some Oreos.

Feb 28, 13 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

My cat got in the nip bag!

Feb 28, 13 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

YOUR GOING TO BE ATTACKED TONIGHT, BY YOUR CAT!

Feb 28, 13 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Mar 1, 13 12:08 am  · 
 · 
observant

My favorite type of cat, if I was MORE of a cat person - the Russian Blue:

http://www.kittenspictures.net/d/2768-2/Russian+blue+kitten+image.PNG

Mar 1, 13 12:17 am  · 
 · 

OMG.  That Blue cat looks like a little wise teddy bear.  SO cute.

I had a mom's night at my house last night and today I am hungover.  And probably putting my job at risk by posting that.  So I think I'll get back to work.

Mar 1, 13 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I'm dying.  Slowly.  Turning my insides out through my throat.  Lungs first.  And since my eyeballs keep rolling backwards, it follows that they are next.

And I love you guys, but I have a dark secret.  I hate cats.

Mar 1, 13 10:36 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I have had a Rag Doll Cat in another life.  Actually two of them....I guess I should say one was a half a rag doll cause mommy went to to play with a Big Tom.  So Moi was all black and didn't conform to the breed at all  in features except with the long hair, but she was a full rag doll when it came to personality.

Mar 1, 13 10:39 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i think toaster's animated gif should be on the archinect front page

Mar 1, 13 10:45 am  · 
 · 
Purpurina

That's exactly how he looked like after the event.

Mar 1, 13 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
observant

And I love you guys, but I have a dark secret.  I hate cats.

We had a cat once.  An all-black one.  It grew up with boys, so we constantly played with her.  She developed a dog's personality and was very social with guests/people.

A cat with a dog's personality can work his or her way into a dog lover's heart.  You'd be surprised.

But, yeah, I'm a dog person all the way.

Mar 1, 13 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I am a dog person that has never owned one; perhaps that's why I'm a dog person.

Last time I visited Lisbon I got to check out an aquaintance's firm, and he kindly showed me around the hood a bit.  Definitely made a difference to how I experienced Lisbon (made it even more one of my favorite cities).  I second the push to connect with architects abroad.  Also, every architect loves a new audience!  Most of us know a ton of the practicing architects in our own cities - it's such a small world - so it's great to connect when some fresh face comes a'visitin'.  Plus it gives them a chance to get out of the office and show off their town - another thing we all love to do. 

The commonalities between architects - no matter the country - astounds me.

Mar 2, 13 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I am a dog person that has never owned one; perhaps that's why I'm a dog person.

Last time I visited Lisbon I got to check out an aquaintance's firm, and he kindly showed me around the hood a bit.  Definitely made a difference to how I experienced Lisbon (made it even more one of my favorite cities).  I second the push to connect with architects abroad.  Also, every architect loves a new audience!  Most of us know a ton of the practicing architects in our own cities - it's such a small world - so it's great to connect when some fresh face comes a'visitin'.  Plus it gives them a chance to get out of the office and show off their town - another thing we all love to do. 

The commonalities between architects - no matter the country - astounds me.

Fell in love with Lisbon as a child, when I was less than 5 feet tall, because I got to visit the city with my parents.  I have returned numerous times as an adult.

I will agree that it's interesting to interact with architects from other places.  There is a common mindset, and like they say "The only person who can (under)stand an architect is another architect."  And that's pushing it a bit, because there is no "can't we all get along?" among architects.  As far as work styles, I feel that American architects and foreign architects are different.  When I've spoken to European architects or architectural grads, there's a lot more posturing and pomp & circumstance.  It's interesting, even fun, but  it's different. Americans, to me, seem a lot more "get 'er done."

Mar 2, 13 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Guess I'll see what I can whip up in my 21st century kitchen. Later.

Mar 2, 13 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

my 21st c kitchen is more awesomer.

@observant, don't take this the wrong way but you got the posturing and the pomp down cold.  You are European?

Mar 2, 13 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
observant

@observant, don't take this the wrong way but you got the posturing and the pomp down cold.  You are European?

Passive aggressive much? (the bold)  Too funny. No, and yes, and no.

Pomp and posturing - maybe in written form - I've been told by profs to tone it down, but never for stuff like plan check letters or contractor correspondence - overall, no, this is my yang for what is my yin(g), that being an ability to hold a conversation with Eddie Murphy and Lisa Lampanelli, or facsimiles thereof.  My friends told me I talked just like that in (u.g.) school, but "cleaned up nicely" as the occasion dictated.  :-)

European?  Yes, my parents "came over."  Me?  No, born and raised in the big "melting pot" U.S. cities.

Mar 2, 13 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I'm starting to wonder how any boys survived past the age of five!!
Mar 2, 13 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^  Why so?

Mar 2, 13 9:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: