Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Sarah Hamilton

I'm being crushed by curriculum planning, too-fast students, parenting, oh, and the t-shirt I volunteered to design. Bah.

Sep 4, 12 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Sarah,

PROBLEM  in big letters. The fancier you get the harder it is to get someone to supply the material, cut the material, and bend the material.  Then you have to think about pre-aging the material, then Locking it into place once it has aged so the stuff does not  stain the crap out of everything underneath it.  It is a lot easier to toss up some vinyl siding and call it a day..but not in the heart and soul of an Architect.  We tackle the things which can't be done and try to do them. 

I was in the big apple yesterday and today....thinking about, " Chaos and Order" Had one of those high speed cab rides with a  mad man at the wheel.  But it was so much better than the  homeless guy sitting next to me on the wooden bench in the food court of  Grand Central Station who smelled like he had peed in his pants more than once.....then I was thinking if he does it while I'm sitting here I'm down hill....so I got up and stood , and keep shifting my weight from one leg to another so I would not feel the throbbing of my bad knee. 

I also found myself sitting at the base of one of the stairs from the upper level to the lower level.  I so wish I have my  video camera as it was just like...."Here Comes Miss America....but you would have to fill in the blank of MIss and America with two other words......I entertained myself for at least an hour and I didn't even have my video camera.

Summer is over folks....no more whites. 

Sep 4, 12 9:06 pm  · 
 · 

snook your description of the problem made me think of a recent short investigation Constructing a Facade Both Rugged and Rusty in NYT. It examines the challenges of using weathering steel for the Barclay's Center project and visits some other smaller projects in NYC region which have recently made use of Cor-Ten.

Sep 4, 12 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I haven't been around for awhile... just came across this.  I haven't read the comments yet... but at first blush, it seems a bit odd to apply a criticism of "unwholeness" to a deconstructivist project, no?  Anyway, there's too many comments for me to read tonight & respond after 3 glasses of wine... g'night all.

Sep 4, 12 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

Michelle Obama is like a freaking superhero.  I love every single thing about her completely.

Sep 4, 12 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

hadn't heard this from a politician before:

“The American dream is not a sprint, or even a marathon, but a relay.  Our families don’t always cross the finish line in the span of one generation, but each generation passes on to the next the fruits of their labor.”

Sep 5, 12 2:33 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Toast, I like that. It feels nice.

Sep 5, 12 10:01 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I don't like that.  I'm sick of being fed bullshit about the "american dream" while our basic social contract needs are going unmet.  I don't want to be fed some line about dreaming for supposed future benefit - meanwhile the rampant inequality in this country ensures that dreams are all most of us will ever have.  Give me basic economic security any day over dreams of something supposedly better for the future.  I miss living in France.  We work harder than any other country for a lower standard of living.  How is that a dream?!  

Besides, given that mine is the first generation that will be less well off than our parents', I say that line is a complete lie.

Sep 5, 12 10:59 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Although now that I've looked at the rest of the speech, otherwise I like what that guy said.  I'm just tired of everything slowly falling apart.

Sep 5, 12 11:27 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

@manta - what I took from this was the idea of the importance of multi-generational families, extremely long-term investment (i.e. both family estate planning and community building), and the long continual fight for social justice - which is a very different value than what we've been fed about the highly individualistic immediate/consumption-based me-first version of "the american dream."

IMHO - we're less well-off than our parents because not enough people were interested in investing in our generation's economic prosperity.  for example - before the crash lots of people were using their houses as piggy banks for vacations and new cars - this isn't something you do if you were concerned about what you were leaving to your children.

Sep 5, 12 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I always thought leaving a legacy for your children was a conservative value. I don't get it.

Sep 5, 12 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

from god's own facebook page

Sep 5, 12 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"I always thought leaving a legacy for your children was a conservative value. I don't get it"

Godless Libruls are too busy aborting the feetus. Rowlf the Jesus disapproves. 

Sep 5, 12 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

curtkram that is awesome.

Sep 5, 12 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I think this might be a turning point in Western Civilization...thanks for the preview curtkram!

Sep 5, 12 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

to you younger people - why are 20-something hipster-y men so frail?  is it all the ramen and bicycling?

Sep 8, 12 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

holy crap were there a lot of cyclists out this morning on my commute.  I've never seen anything like it before. 

2012 is turning out to be the year of the bicycle.

Sep 10, 12 10:00 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

btw toaster I read your last comment aloud to my S.O. and we had a good guffaw.  Hahaha frail... so true.

Yes my commute has gotten more crowded as well.  I think the lovely weather plays a part though... I bet in the winter I'll be nearly alone as usual.

Sep 10, 12 10:23 am  · 
 · 

heading to copenhagen day after tomorrow to see if i can look frail on a hipster rental bike.

hipsters have always looked frail no?  like audrey Hepburn but with more testosterone.  i thought that was the deal.   grizzly adams gets to be strong and manly but looks like a twit with the cool glasses that only a hipster can pull off.

or possibly its about wholeness. 

speaking of which....my god. it's like per got a blog.

Sep 10, 12 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

ha ha ha ha!  I don't even know how to respond.  There's no substance to which to respond.

Sep 10, 12 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

hipsters - at least when I was the appropriate hipster age (now I'm an aging or elderly hipster) - were built a little more solid - I was the token skinny bearded one who wore bespoke (i.e. thriftstore - bespoke was intentionally specious)  tweeds and knitted caps inappropriately suited to the weather, and pretentiously quoted goethe and depressing lines from french new-wave movies no matter the topic of conversation.  I now look like an ex-linebacker anthro prof next to this current generation.

before I had only caught fleeting glimpses of this new breed - but what confirmed my suspicions was that over the weekend I was at an event that draws hipsters like flies to a rotting corpse - free local music, locally grown food, local food trucks, locally-made bicycles that carted away local food scraps for use in local compost...  mind you, I still fit into my exquisitely tailored suits from my younger years, however I felt like a fat slob around all these tooth-pick skinny young moustachioed men in their cut-off skinny jeans.

I'm very concerned about their iron levels.  also - they're all so excruciatingly earnest!  no more cynics in this generation.

Sep 10, 12 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

the wholeness is the most interesting thing happening on archinect lately.  I do try my best to post nonsense that gets people all worked up, but I've been too busy.

Sep 10, 12 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

my god. it's like per got a blog. This is the best thing I've read today.

toaster, please! Get beyond your frailness and post nonsense that get wholeness all riled up!  PS Your stream of "locals: above made me laugh.

Sep 10, 12 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Am I the only one who thinks that post is devoid of any meaning?  It's not even clearly written.  I can't possibly be the only person who thinks this person is missing an opportunity to actually write something of substance.

Sep 10, 12 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

devoid of meaning?  you've just defined the entire period after Jencks declared the death of modern architecture.

Sep 10, 12 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
design

there is no meaning, unless you have jesus or want to save the whales or somthin.

perenial is the single biggest problem with humanity.

Sep 10, 12 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
design

I would add, perenial finds his/her "meaning" in traditional architecture.

But
there are plenty of architects that make sociopolitical statements without relying on traditionalist masquerades

Sep 10, 12 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

architecture died?  shit.  that sucks.  looked so good just a while ago.  should we hold a wake?

Sep 10, 12 10:42 pm  · 
 · 

No, Will, only modern architecture died.  So go out there and make some NOT-modern architecture, right now!

I see a semantics issue.

Sep 10, 12 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

editorial is incredibly pomo - yet would somehow be offended by my egregious spec-ing of fypon products.

someone needs to smack you upside the head with a corinthian dildo.

Sep 10, 12 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
design

It dies and comes back to life every season, subtly... every 10 years re-branded via academic politics. Some say it's PoMo/capitalism. I think it's just life.

toast, can't say I'm a fan of rote tasks like specing fypon, but if that's architecture for ya...

Sep 10, 12 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
design

add:
though, everyday architecture keeps on truckin in multiple ways, despite seasonal interruptions.

Sep 10, 12 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

how is spec-ing fypon a rote task? I already have the word doc - the rep already filled that shit in for me.  the intern prints that shit out.  only thing rote is teeing up with the client.  I mean - if you actually want to spend your entire day behind a computer writing code ... I'll be out at the country club getting slowly hammered.

Sep 11, 12 12:46 am  · 
 · 
design

cause it's fypon, you didn't build dat, barely designed it.
But if you want to be in architectural digest, ok.

Sep 11, 12 1:23 am  · 
 · 

the intentionally non-specific good old daze will always be a convenient fall-back position. i'm trying not to waste my time reading perennial's schtick, but it's oddly compelling - like the anonymous online comments about an obama article on a newspaper's website. 

Sep 11, 12 7:26 am  · 
 · 

not a big fan of modernism inasmuch as it still survives today.  but that sorta comes down to richard meier and a few others really.  everyone else is doing a different thing more in tune with our junk space times. 

Sep 11, 12 9:31 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

"i'm trying not to waste my time reading perennial's schtick, but it's oddly compelling - like the anonymous online comments about an obama article on a newspaper's website. "

There's something about it that makes me simply HAVE to write something.  I think it's because he almost has a valid position (one i'd disagree with i think), but he never clearly states what his position is... it's like a thesis that has some potential, but it's never fulfilled.  i could agree that some of the formalism of today's buildings seems as though it will look outdated in a few years time... similar to how Eisenmann's building at OSU looks now a few years later... but to simply throw up an image and say 'this is what i mean...see?' isn't an argument... it's just allowing/requiring the reader to make their own conclusions and seems kind of lazy or just unfinished.

Sep 11, 12 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

EXACTLY lars.  Exactly!!!  That's precisely why I can't not respond.  It's so lazy it is driving me nuts.  And to see people taking that dribble seriously...! 

Sep 11, 12 7:38 pm  · 
 · 

It's fun.  And funny.  And silly.

Nice to see Deborah Berke recognized.  She's a total class act and lovely person.

Sep 11, 12 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

The ADA has updated its requirements:

The miniature horse is not included in the definition of service animal, which is limited to dogs. However, the new ADA regulations contain a specific provision which covers miniature horses.  Businesses must make reasonable modifications in policies, practices, or procedures to permit the use of a miniature horse by an individual with a disability if the miniature horse has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of the individual with a disability. 

Factors to assist in determining whether miniature horses can be accommodated are whether:

- the miniature horse is housebroken
    -the miniature horse is under the owner’s control
   - the facility can accommodate the miniature horse’s type, size, and weight
   -the miniature horse’s presence will not compromise legitimate safety requirements necessary for the safe operation of the facility

This delights me.

Sep 12, 12 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

oh damn.  does that mean we have to change counter heights again?  they just started making dishwashers that fit under 34" counters at a reasonable price, too.

Sep 12, 12 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wait, what?! Horses? Hell.

Sep 12, 12 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

you have GOT to be freaking kidding me. This is going too far.

There are proposal deadlines, and people dying, and all sorts of things going on around here, and now we've got accomodate horses? I'm out. Eff this business.

Sep 12, 12 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

soon we'll be having to accommodate a service bull for china shops.

Sep 12, 12 9:31 pm  · 
 · 

Also:

No shoes, No shirt, No service? No Problem!

I so love this.

Sep 12, 12 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

That's really cute!

Sep 13, 12 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

I think those people relentlessly arguing wholesome architecture are the same ones I had a fistfight in UK/CoD student works feature few years ago. It just dawned on me... Names like CBone, joochill ring a bell? Very similar lingo.. They usually operate in packs of two or three. Partially reasonable ideas being cooked in fanatical kitchen.

Sep 14, 12 12:20 am  · 
 · 

Orhan, I think you're right.  I'm convinced ThayD and perrennialwhole are the same person, but I also thought - back during that discussion on the UKCoD Louisville project - that there were two screen names for one person making identical arguments. So now they are all back - how did perennial get a blog, anyway?!  Not that I don't think lots of opposing viewpoints should be available in the blogs, it's just that perennial isn't making any valid or interesting critiques.

I had a meeting and walk-thru today with a local architect (who I've never met before) to discuss a project happening here.  We both showed up wearing striped grey trousers (dressy trouser jeans, in my case), black belt, black shoes, crisp white quality shirt, and assertive glasses, with funky little notepad and black pen. I think we're going to get along very well!

Sep 14, 12 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

so... i hate to be a jerk, but i know all of you have seen hilarious scale figures in renderings and photo montages... i just had to share these with people who will appreciate it...   these come from an interesting source... The Codes Study

wow...

Sep 14, 12 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Lletdown, what am I missing? It just looks like someone took a photo of some sidewalk. Then again, I am looking at this on my phone.

Sep 14, 12 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: