Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

mantaray

Ahhh, now THIS is what I come to archinect for. Bashing on interior designers. COSIGN

Don't forget this part of the job description: Decide on stone slabs for the bathroom flooring.........AFTER framing is completed.

Sep 19, 16 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

I've worked with some interior designers who are truly worth their weight in gold.

I've also worked for a few whose only apparent purpose was so product reps for furniture companies would bring nice food into the office.

Sep 19, 16 10:00 pm  · 
 · 

First time I had a crepe was in Rhode Island near Brown.

Hi TC!

Sep 20, 16 12:13 am  · 
 · 

10:47am - I refuse to believe the Pitt-Jolie divorce rumor. If it's true, though, and he instigated it, he drops completely off my list of sexiest humans of all time.

Stay tuned. My workday is shot.

Sep 20, 16 10:48 am  · 
 · 

Gif yanked from Chappell Ellison's twitter feed and it's perfect. Me today:

Sep 20, 16 11:04 am  · 
 · 

Looks like it is confirmed. Donna my condolences to you...

Sep 20, 16 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

this just popped up in my google news feed

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/abandoned-stadium-reuse-indianapolis_us_57dfaf6fe4b08cb140968f46?google_editors_picks=true

isn't that your thing donna?

Sep 20, 16 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

Yes curt

(wipes tears from eyes)

yes People for Urban Progress is the non-profit I'm on the board for

(inhales jerkily)

I'm so proud

(brief sob)

of the work we do in our city.

(turns head away and cries hard)

Sep 20, 16 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

(blows nose into handkerchief, swallows...)

We were also covered on City Lab this week.

(wipes tears again)

Thank you for trying to...

(sobs, sobs, sobs)

..make me feel better!

(ugly crying, neverending...)

Sep 20, 16 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
situationist

Ugh. Too much work. We really need people in the 5-10 year range of experience. I wonder why there is a dearth of candidates in this particular cohort. It's almost as if something catastrophic happened to the field about 7 or 8 years ago. 

Sep 20, 16 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

donna, congrats - that PUP project is so coooooool!

situationist - somehow this particular situation defies economic laws of supply, demand, and pricing.

I am in that range and I have to say the salaries offered during my most recent search were pretty disappointing. I keep hearing I am in high demand (and continue to get calls and e-mails from other firms + headhunters after starting my current job), but they are all about what I would expect to be paid with this much experience. Put a 25-50% premium on salary in this age range and you'll get many more people accepting the jobs. 

Sep 20, 16 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Situationist, that's my range too (8years). There are a few of us like this in my office but I'd say the skill set is not the same.

Nice PUP project Donna.

Sep 20, 16 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Situationist: I don't suppose you're in Oregon?

Sep 20, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
situationist
I guess that's not terribly far from Siberia. You interested in prison architecture? We mostly need someone with 5-10 years experience in Soviet-era concrete restoration. pay very good. Two reindeer and yugo in good condition. Even get morning potato. Daily vodka. Minimal calisthenics.
Sep 20, 16 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
situationist
Our stateside office focuses on industrial scale meat raising and processing facilities. Mostly just need someone with an iron gullet to do as-builts. We've had high turnover in this position, so it is offered as a two-month trial unpaid internship where at the end we will evaluate your performance. Since people have asked, yes, the regional manager is bipolar and an alcoholic, but since he gets results it is clearly not the work environment or the nature of the job, but the poor quality of candidate that architecture schools these days produce.
Sep 20, 16 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞
Where do I sign, I love potatoes; fifty ways.
Sep 20, 16 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Ok, you all may find this incredible, but I have only recently (knowingly) heard my first Fleetwood Mac song: Never Going Back Again.  (I grew up in an immigrant household without cable; totally missed out on most 70s-80s american pop culture.)  This particular song wholly entrances me.  Are there others like it I should listen to?  I poked around Fleetwood Mac's catelogue on spotify but the other songs I dipped into didn't grab me.  Given their large catalogue I thought it might be better to throw the question to the crowd... and this crowd, I know, has at least a few Stevie Nicks fans in it (never heard her music either).  Educate me, please!

Sep 20, 16 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

Might be a bit heretical among fans of Nicks, but I am a big fan of Bare Trees....

Also, might want to check out this 

Sep 21, 16 12:22 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Jesus Man! Taray! Listen to the whole rumors album. Never Goin Back again was written and penned by lindsay buckingham. Its capoed fairly high up there and rather intricate on the fingerwork. Leather n lace with don henley has kinda the same poppy feel without the amazing guitarwork. Landslide could be another you'd enjoy.

Sep 21, 16 1:07 am  · 
 · 
Archanonymous, I'm also in that range but the salaries I'm being offered/told are the range by recruiters seem reasonable to me. Maybe my sights aren't high enough, but none of the recruiters has matched what I currently make when adding my profit sharing, bonuses, and paid overtime to my base.
Sep 21, 16 2:23 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Silver Springs

Amazing and wonderful.

Sep 21, 16 3:02 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Landslide was written in Aspen.

Big Love - acoustic, live. I've always loved Fleetwood Mac, but never noticed this song until I heard it in concert. It was about 1,000 times better in person, the video can't do it justice.

I like Second Hand News too. 

Sep 21, 16 6:53 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I am in the 8-10 year experience range too albeit older because I took a hiatus. Lots and lots of potatoes...

Sep 21, 16 7:27 am  · 
 · 

Yes, ALL of Rumors, also all of Tusk. My favorite Stevie Nicks song is Angel, the Tusk version.  Mirage is also good with Gypsy being the standout.

Christine McVie wrote fun poppy catchy songs,. but I think Stevie Nicks' songs are more complex and thus interesting.

Following on what tintt said, I have to say I prefer studio Fleetwood Mac recordings to live recordings of them. They deviate quite a bit from the recordings, and with all the drugs and whatnot their live performances seem pretty erratic. I imagine actually *attending* the live concert would be great, but as recordings they don't sound very good.

Sep 21, 16 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Fleetwood Mac's Dreams

Sep 21, 16 10:37 am  · 
 · 

An excellent group of musicians has put together a FM tribute band and are touring around playing Rumours back to front. What becomes clear 1) because these guys are GOOD and 2) because they're not all drugged out, is that those songs, in addition to being super catchy and lyrically sophisticated, are really complex. Good players really reveal the depth of that album. 

I haven't seen FM live but this show made me want to. 

Sep 21, 16 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Gold Dust Woman

See Fleetwood Mac live, it was amazing. I'll go again. 

Sep 21, 16 11:01 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I wasnt in the car, but I'm told my 4yr old heard "stairway to heaven" for the first time this morning. Mind blown

Sep 21, 16 11:11 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Camper Von Beethoven

Sep 21, 16 11:32 am  · 
 · 
I'm on a boat right now headed to the Lofoten Islands and it's going through some of the most sublime landscape I've seen. Blowing up my Instagram when I get to my cabin.
Sep 21, 16 11:47 am  · 
 · 

Yay Josh so glad you're getting a break!

Sep 21, 16 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Guess I'm listening to Fleetwood Mac today.

Sep 21, 16 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I was in college the first time I ever heard a single Billy Joel song. "What's THIS?!" My roommate was from Long Island. Looked at me like I was a pod person

Sep 21, 16 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

My hunting for Fleetwood Mac tunes today led me to Ben Harper, who I have heard of but never listened to. OMG. I loved every song I heard by him! Where has he been all my life?!

Sep 21, 16 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

septembre - la femme

for the all songs considered listeners 

https://play.spotify.com/track/5ca3CSIRraIjuBO5LrG5Kb

Sep 21, 16 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My freshman roommate owned one CD - Boston's Greatest Hits!

While looking for FM songs, I saw this. Yessss!

Sep 21, 16 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Boston's Greatest Hits album is only topped by Chicago's Greatest Hits! Was it a thing to name bands after cities? Just realized that. 

Sep 21, 16 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

In my opinion both Boston's and Chicago's greatest hits are both good but are topped by ELO's greatest hits. 

Sep 21, 16 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Where does Three Dog Night's Greatest Hits rank? 

Sep 21, 16 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

@ Donna: I knew I liked you.  But go deeper than ELO's greatest hits.  Even more classical-rock fusion goodness in there.

@ tintt:  More than bands.  My great-uncle's first name was Denver.  After he died, my great-aunt dated a guy named Houston.

Sep 21, 16 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I was in a band in high school. we named ourselves after the water fountain at school, Halsey Taylor. We covered Three Dog Night songs among other things. 

Sep 21, 16 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Some ear worms for you; .38 Special - "Hold On Loosely" and The Outlaws - "Green Grass and High Tides'"

Sep 21, 16 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

God, .38 Special sucks. And whenever I hear a Bob Seger song I run.

Sep 21, 16 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

what, no, Donna, there's a thread for this ya know....

totally not this link

Sep 21, 16 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I have Bob Seger on a continuos loop, in my car.  Im sad hes not on Spotify...

Sep 21, 16 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Hold On there Donna, Don't Go Breaking My Heart!

Sep 21, 16 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

SMASH!

Sep 21, 16 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Hold On Loosely - Donna.......no Kix or Krokus!?!

Sep 22, 16 7:24 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Midnite Dynamite (Kix) and Midnite Maniac (Krokus).....see how I did that! the mid 80's metal scene. balls. i was like 7 but I'm 38 today (fuck that)

Sep 22, 16 7:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Old as balls Olaf.
I raise you a toasty pint to you soon to become aggressive degradation into old man territory.
Sep 22, 16 7:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: