Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

awaiting_deletion

French Toast, love it!

Sep 19, 16 9:14 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yum crepes. My husband made me banana pancakes yesterday, but I prefer crepes.

Sep 19, 16 9:16 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

crepes with Nutella!

Sep 19, 16 9:17 am  · 
 · 

Waaait.....there is something funky with the app vs. the computer interface.  My post to Olaf was supposed to look like this:

shuellmi I'd like to see that AIA pdf if you can find it.

Olaf: Do you like French toast? <silence>

Sep 19, 16 9:19 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Aren't "french-toast" renamed freedom toast?

Sep 19, 16 9:21 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

freedom toast with American Malple Syrup! looks like html code Donna....wait you know the youtube jam i am referencing? the kids love it

Sep 19, 16 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Crepes with sliced fresh strawberries and whipped cream!

Sep 19, 16 9:30 am  · 
 · 
situationist
I don't understand why the AIA is picking a fight with interior designers. Yeah, we can spend a week researching fabric and lounge furniture and carpet tile, but wouldn't you rather just hire an experienced interior designer to pull something together in a couple hours? Are they going to start going after door hardware consultants next? Oh uh.... Those door hardware people are stealing our work. I mean, those guys don't bother doing proper research on the latest silencer technology. The client really needs to see an extensive study on astragals and sweeps. Only architects can provide a full service for all your keying needs.
Sep 19, 16 9:30 am  · 
 · 
situationist
I don't understand why the AIA is picking a fight with interior designers. Yeah, we can spend a week researching fabric and lounge furniture and carpet tile, but wouldn't you rather just hire an experienced interior designer to pull something together in a couple hours? Are they going to start going after door hardware consultants next? Oh uh.... Those door hardware people are stealing our work. I mean, those guys don't bother doing proper research on the latest silencer technology. The client really needs to see an extensive study on astragals and sweeps. Only architects can provide a full service for all your keying needs.
Sep 19, 16 9:31 am  · 
 · 
I think Interior Designers are trying to move into the Tenant Buildout/Restaurant/Bar areas saying that they are qualified to do the entire scope of work for these types of projects. I could see Tenant Buildouts, but certainly not assembly areas.
Sep 19, 16 9:35 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

If anyone is to spend a week picking fabrics, paint colours and furniture, it's the int-des people. I swear, 5 of them will congregate and "discuss" the latest and greatest carpet patterns in my office before sending off options to our clients. I look at the 30 or so options and choose 2 immediately and move on. How more than 30mins can be spent going over finishes is strange to me.

Sep 19, 16 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Josh, I think you're right. Those in my office have become quite vocal lately as to why they are stuck with exempt residential and small commercial projects. They want a stamp equal to ours.  I had a project 6 years ago where we had to rescue the client from a professional int-des office they had hired for a building addition. They knew nothing about construction, scheduling, budget, structure, etc... Great learning experience but the move to int-des first cost the client millions more than what they expected.

There is just so much 4 semesters of college can teach you and most of it is spent on finishes boards.

Sep 19, 16 9:45 am  · 
 · 

Yes, I am guessing the pdf shuellmi references has to do with a state interior design organization seeking a licensing act.

Interior designers are juts like us in that there are excellent ones and crappy ones. They are *not* just like us in that life safety, weatherproofing and structural issues are not covered as deeply in their training, nor are they held to as high a standard of care in those areas, as are architects.

Sep 19, 16 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Yep. Illinois Interior Designers are trying to get a license act passed right now (good luck with our do-nothing legislature) that AIA Illinois is actively lobbying against.
Sep 19, 16 10:02 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

A license for what? 

Sep 19, 16 10:06 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

A license to limit competition, of course.

Sep 19, 16 10:15 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
After my latest experience with interior designers, they are definitely not capable of doing any construction detailing. Not one bit.
Sep 19, 16 10:31 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Trying to differentiate between Inferior Designers and Interior Desecraters is a serious thing.  One might steal work from the other.  

Sep 19, 16 10:42 am  · 
 · 
situationist
So what is the issue with an interiors license? It would seem to me that it would demand a higher level of training for interior designers which might be a good thing.
Sep 19, 16 11:00 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

NCIDQ sample question: Can existing columns be moved to make room for bookcases? Y/N. 

What's wrong with that? Ha ha. 

Sep 19, 16 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Answer: It depends on what's in the budget. To make sure we get enough money in the budget to move the columns we'll have to pick the most outrageously expensive bookcases we can find, then we'll VE it down to something less expensive and use the extra money in the budget to deal with the columns.
Sep 19, 16 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Tintt, that's a tricked question.  The answer is yes, but only if it allows the bookcase's chi to properly align itself with the space's chakras.

Sep 19, 16 11:17 am  · 
 · 
BTW, this Balkins crap is stupid. He was gone, then back. Now apparently gone again. If he comes back again, I'm out.
Sep 19, 16 11:22 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

He messaged me during the first absence.  Said he was busy, and not actually banned. 

I really hope Rick can take some time off and work on getting some perspective.  If this is the career field he wants to be in, he needs to make some moves that put him on the right track.  All of his moves seem sideways, with no forward progress.  I say, "Good luck Rick.  Stay away for a while.  It will be good for you."

Sep 19, 16 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Not a trick question. Answer: Yes, one can simply use the "erase tool" to get rid of columns while space planning interiors.

Next question: Are there invisible "things" that connect to toilets and other plumbing fixtures that you can't see? <- a version of that question is actually on the test, for real. 

I'm just kidding, I know some good interior designers, luv u guys/gals!

Sep 19, 16 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Next question:

When laying out interior partitions, do you dimension from:

A. gridlines, but only randomly

B. outside edge of furniture

C. inside edge of carpet tile pattern

D. in counter-clockwise alphabetical order using the finish board colours.

Sep 19, 16 11:41 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

its D. there are accredited degress for interior design and relevant state code im NYS at least that clearly indicates what an interior designer can and cannot do.

Sep 19, 16 11:48 am  · 
 · 
gruen
An interior designer who can detail a custom cabinet would be useful. Most can't.
Sep 19, 16 11:54 am  · 
 · 
situationist
Slightly off center line of partition and make sure it's down to the 1/128". Oh wait, that's the intern architect exam.
Sep 19, 16 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

yes, 1 to 35 is an acceptable scale.

Sep 19, 16 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Select colors and finishes. Research all model, product and stock numbers. Write these down by hand. Make sure no one can read your writing. Refuse to do any sort of schedule or specification, because "designers don't draw". Quit your job because, life changes.
Sep 19, 16 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

apparently the link is no longer available, i assume there were some angry emails....

(probably with spelling and grammar errors)

Sep 19, 16 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Found researching potential firms today. 

Dude is everywhere.

Sep 19, 16 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

lol- collaborating...

Sep 19, 16 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Maybe he really is banned this time.  The screen shot he posted in this thread last night of a million-word homophobic Reddit rant seems to have disappeared - so at least maybe a moderator has him on their radar.

Sep 19, 16 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

He's gone. Confirmed.

Sep 19, 16 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

so, can we go back to arguing over crepes?

Sep 19, 16 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Who is gone? Third base.
Sep 19, 16 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Crepes with lemon juice and powdered sugar are second best.

Sep 19, 16 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What about with a little Grand-Marnier?

Sep 19, 16 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I've not tried it. Is it good?

Sep 19, 16 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It is if it's early in the morning. ummmm....

my favorite is still ham and gruyère... but with ample (canadian)maple syrup.

Sep 19, 16 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
situationist
Poutine crepe?
Sep 19, 16 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^probably, but can't say I've seen one.
Sep 19, 16 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i love nutella and bananas on crepe.

Sep 19, 16 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I like my crepes savory.

Nutella + Banana is good on just about anything though.

Sep 19, 16 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

crepes with heavy dose of butter and cinammon and sugar.

Sep 19, 16 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

^ shit, olaf, you do that on wonderbread.

Sep 19, 16 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
Olaf, that combo on plain white bread is the absolute best. No need to fancy it up with a crepe.
Sep 19, 16 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

lmao. yes.

Sep 19, 16 9:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: