Thread Central

exactly!

May 14, 15 11:32 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

ripbbk

May 15, 15 10:15 am  · 
 · 

Did Donna say she was getting banged at AIA?

May 15, 15 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

^ I think she did.

May 15, 15 10:38 am  · 
 · 

Maybe there are some benefits to membership.

May 15, 15 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

^Naw, I don't think so, you don't need to be a member of anything to get screwed in this business.

May 15, 15 10:53 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

great... and I just put in an aia membership app this afternoon

May 15, 15 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Rip BB King...Saw him play the warm up set for U2 in the Arizona State University Stadium when they did their first American Tour.  They started in Phoenix and ended in Phoenix with free concerts.  It was hot as hell and so was he and U2..

May 15, 15 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Not banged, but interrobanged - that's a new word I learned at the convention!

Sorry I've been neglecting Archinect/TC while I was there - it was exhaustingly busy and fun! (<not an interrobang)

May 17, 15 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

can someone fill me in with the ongoing arch for humanity saga?  just saw some tweets from cameron via nam about fishy accounting.

May 17, 15 10:59 pm  · 
 · 

@toasteroven i was looking for more regarding myself, but couldn't find anything else... any luck?

May 18, 15 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

also for those who are curious see here and here

May 18, 15 7:23 pm  · 
 · 

@Donna who used interrobang at AIA National and/or what was context?

May 18, 15 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
9/11 truthers‽
May 18, 15 8:37 pm  · 
 · 

I cannot say who interrobanged me. Because then the 9/11 truthers would kill me.

May 18, 15 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

But what does this !? look like in Wingdings font?

May 18, 15 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

Sounds like a gang interrobang to me. 

May 19, 15 12:18 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Miles, but that's just what they want you to believe. My dousing guru's sister's in law saw something in a church flyer one time that might have said that.

Was there seriously a group of trooothers at the convention?
May 19, 15 3:55 am  · 
 · 

Non Sequitur, yes!! They rented a double booth to push their proposed Resolution 15-6, which would state that the AIA supports re-opening the investigation into the collapse of WTC7 because the initial report was "fatally flawed" - their words. God, such BS. Their resolution failed - 4% vote yes, 96% voted no. Epic failure, which of course means they're just going to try that much harder.

May 19, 15 7:27 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

4%?  That`s a bit high.  Too many looney toons 

May 19, 15 7:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna... 4%?

eugh. I'm Happy my association has steered clear of this nonsense.

May 19, 15 8:29 am  · 
 · 

I'm not quite clear on how the voting works, it's not a direct vote it's some sort of electoral college-type deal, where each state gets a certain number of delegates and votes etc. So I think if one representative is a looney s/he can cast all of their votes, even against the will of the 60-600 individuals they represent, which is why it came out so high. 

Also I think the supporters skew older (I can't recall where I read that, it might even have been on the 9/11 Truth website) so I like to think of it as a bunch of old men giggling "WTH, let's stir up the pot a little for fun, I'm outta here anyway!". That way I don't have to think they actually believe the truthers. Or, maybe, senility.

May 19, 15 8:51 am  · 
 · 

4%?  That`s a bit high.  Too many looney toons 

It is the AIA ...

May 19, 15 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Senility sounds like a good bet or perhaps a bad hangover.

May 19, 15 9:04 am  · 
 · 

I don't know, I had the second-worst hangover of my entire 48 years on this planet at the convention and I was still smart enough not to fall for the truthers' BS!

May 19, 15 9:09 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ah, I was sloshed at one convention a few years back. The bar tender was poring scotch like it was wine. "sure, i'll take another 4ounces of that 14y single-malt".

I think the booze intake required for the trooothers's jive to get to me is the exact same level that would instantly kill me and set me on fire. Coincidence? perhaps... let's get Alex Jones on this.

May 19, 15 9:40 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I blame ayn rand for that 4%.

This is what that texas house should aspire to be... that interior is something else...

May 19, 15 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Oh. Wow. That's down right Wonderlandian.
May 19, 15 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

god i want that bath... i miss my old clawfoot tub...and the ability to fully soak.

May 19, 15 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

Anyone finding the A'nect server a bit slow?

May 20, 15 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
No, but I don't know what you're using it for. TC sure is slow, though.
May 20, 15 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Texas, what a place...  Been a crazy first 8 or so months living here after moving to Dallas from the Pacific Northwest.  First Ebola, then earthquakes (still earthquakes) then massive rainstorms, then isis (a few miles from my office no less) and then the biker gang battle just down the road.  What is it about this place that attracts these occurrences?  Coming from a place where nothing happens to here has been a bit of a shock, the good thing, I'm swamped at work...

May 21, 15 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Mr Wiggin, the rain is NOT normal, and I'm trying my best to start a conspiracy theory that the Garland ISIS shooting mess was just a hit man hired by the cartoon contest lady herself, to further justify her hatred of Muslims. No one around here is biting, though.

As for those earthquakes, well, how do you like that new ban on baning fracking?
May 21, 15 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Texas sure is strange.

May 21, 15 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Yeah, that ban...  How is that in any way constitutional?  Are they going to attempt to play it as a defense of the free speech of oil companies?  First they rule that corporations are individuals, then next it's gonna be that fracking is speech...  What an age we live in!

May 21, 15 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

only Kinky Friedman can straighten out Texas.....

May 21, 15 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
led signal light

Did Dwell hired bunch of people post comments here?

http://archinect.com/news/article/127587227/win-two-3-day-passes-to-dwell-on-design-los-angeles-may-29-31

May 25, 15 6:36 pm  · 
 · 

^ Good catch. The entire article should be deleted as spam.

May 25, 15 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

It is an "orwellian plot"

May 25, 15 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

It's labelled as sponsor content. It's not spam.

May 25, 15 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

The comments are planted though.  Does that count as spam?

Some of them are year old accounts and this is their first post too.  They must have been planning this for a while

May 26, 15 7:25 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The comments do appear quite contrived in the Dwell post.

May 26, 15 7:28 am  · 
 · 

The comments may be planted, but it's also a competition to win tickets to something; some people may not feel the need to comment unless there is something in it for them e.g. a prize.

Have you guys listened to our Archinect Sessions podcast Ep.28 with Ned Cramer? He talks about the media world and the use of sponsored content, and he's a super-smart guy and delightful to listen to. <-------Note: this statement is not sponsored, but yes it's somewhat self-serving. But it's also one of our most fun podcasts!

May 26, 15 8:33 am  · 
 · 
gruen

funny how all the commenters on the dwell thing are excited. so excited. 

I spent some time on the HOUZZ forums. It's sickening. A bunch of homeowners with crap houses congratulating each other on their horrid choices in decor. 

Have to come back here for a dose of reality. Pass the bottle. 

May 26, 15 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ I've got a cold one for you right here.

Just read the Dwell thing... and I'm happy Houzz is blocked by my office's webfilter.

May 26, 15 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

I enjoy looking at images on Houzz but the comments tend to be pretty congratulatory, and I've never ventured into the forums.  To go back to the Ned Cramer interview, he does say that Archinect is above and beyond the best architecture discussion forum on the web. He's right, of course.

May 26, 15 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Gruen, Houzz is reality; we're the ones living in fantasy:)

All, Is it just my computer…this site seems to have become a little unstable?

May 26, 15 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

Good job curtkram - looks like you derailed that link-dump DWELL piece with a single pointed question. Wonder if the new member(s) also got the axe ...

Sponsored content usually comes with a notice to that effect. Helps keep things honest. 

May 27, 15 9:07 am  · 
 · 

This particular piece was labeled, Miles. It said clearly that it was posted by a sponsor.

If you don't like the content you find - for free - on Archinect you're free to go hang at another site. Sorry to lay it out so plainly but you do understand the need to make income, yes? Archinect has never done a pop-up commercial that I have to wait 5 seconds to load before I can close the window, as does practically every Gawker article I ever read. A few ads and sponsor articles is not, in the scheme of things, a hardship.

For  heavens sake. So privileged.

May 27, 15 9:23 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

me?  i didn't post over there.  i have no responsibility for people who are excited about whatever it is they're posting for, or for donna's opinion on advertising, i didn't read the article, still think they're plants, etc.

May 27, 15 9:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: