Archinect
anchor

project management

amanti

i know this is a totally boring question, but ...here goes.
i work for a small 'boutique' firm that is growing exponentially. i need office management software (and i vaguely remember something with graphs from the old firm i interned with)
i think that its called 'Microsoft Project' which looks fine.
But i wanted to know if that was sort of the standard in architectural practices. Anyone use this? anyone else managing projects? i am young and overwhelmed.

Feb 8, 06 11:48 am
quizzical

Dear "young and overwhelmed" -- MS-Project probably would be a good place for you to start -- project managers in our firm use it to good effect for scheduling resources and milestones on their projects -- we're a mid-sized firm doing mid-sized and largish work -- MS-Project is about all we ever need

however, MS-Project is scheduling software and not what i would call true "office management" software - if you need software to automate job-cost-accounting, you may want to look into Deltek Vision

Feb 8, 06 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

For project planning, MS Project or Asta PowerProject are both perfetly usable.

Asta's product has a lot of good features for tracking resource allocation (whether human resource, finance, plant etc), and produces much prettier pictures (which is what your boss wants to see).

While working for project management consultancy in the UK, Asta was prefered. Just be sure and make a protocol for labelling and naming your output (like your drawing sets), otherwise contractors will pretend not to have seen the one with the new start date...

I used both bits of software mainly for project management rather than office management: Great communication tools between client, consultants and (sub)contractors, allow tracking of delay, calculation of slack in the programme, projection of cost outlay, overlapping trades etc. It just depends how much time you (are allowed) to put into it.

Being good at it will make you indespensible to your firm, and it is rarely as boring as window details. Gives a good excuse to get in touch with pretty much anyone on the project too.

Feb 8, 06 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
amanti

Great. thanks.

Feb 8, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
kcsprojects

Really Nice This site help full for you. http://kcsprojects.co.za/

Sep 15, 12 8:13 am  · 
 · 
Dasarath

Nice information.Thank you.

May 7, 15 3:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: