Archinect
anchor

Deserthouses

snooker

skunst here is another one of Bruce Goffs former Students in Southern California around San Diego: http://www.hubbellandhubbell.com/

Feb 9, 06 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Feb 9, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hey I went to school with one of the Hubbells, too! What am i doing living in the midwest?!?!?

Feb 9, 06 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

have you forgotten so soon lb???

Feb 9, 06 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

In Bisbee Arizona you can stay at the Shady Dell RV Park which is a hotel where the rooms are all individual Airstream trailers.

Not exactly "desert architecture" but great for a road trip.

Feb 10, 06 12:00 am  · 
 · 
Metaphoracle

NEXT:

http://www.robpaulus.com/projects/res_multiple/bmet.html

Feb 10, 06 12:46 am  · 
 · 

not sure if deep desert enough for yall, but steve holl's turbulence house in new mexico is quite nice

Feb 10, 06 2:52 am  · 
 · 
skunst

Galipoli house Philip Jhnson . Alan richie

Feb 10, 06 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Strange that noone here is familiar with Hassan Fathy ? ( the egyptian architect ).
as far as I know he's acknowledged as the all time master of contemporary desert architecture .

Feb 10, 06 9:35 am  · 
 · 
skunst

Found this house by Fathy

Feb 10, 06 9:43 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

skunst here are a few of fathy's works

also we have a desert state in my country (India) called "rajasthan"

type "Rajasthan " in google image search.
you as a sculptor may like that kind of architecture

Feb 10, 06 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

skunst wrote :Maybe you share my fashination for houses in the desert, or wider : houses in remote areas , in lonely extreme conditions .

another spectrum....

Spiti Valley, a Buddhist mountain desert region (with a Tibetan culture) in the Indian Himalayan state of Himachal Pradesh .

talking abt extremes......The temperature here can fall from +5 deg Celcius to -50 degree celcius in less than 10 minutes. You can die of frostbite in bright daylight and even when there isnt a single flake of snow around.

Feb 10, 06 10:12 am  · 
 · 
skunst

Great building this
The old sculpture from India , I already appreciated very much .
Recent sculptures don't know much about.
nevermore ,maybe you cab post an image in "favourit sculpture" forum

Feb 10, 06 10:18 am  · 
 · 
skunst
Feb 10, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
skunst

anotherone , I try one more time

Feb 10, 06 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

skunst, its ok, just post the link here. ill copy paste to my browser

these are in Ladakh( another cold desert region ) in India
( Ladakh->north of Kashmir )

Feb 10, 06 10:43 am  · 
 · 
skunst

Found this strange building, astronimic observatory in Jaipur

Feb 10, 06 10:45 am  · 
 · 
skunst

pictures well protected these day's.
Thanks for the special pic's neverore

Feb 10, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Yea skunst..thats the "jantar-mantar" in jaipur..yes its an ancient astronomical observatory that was made by the Indian emperors to calculate the planetary movements

& you're very welcome.

Feb 10, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 
skunst

very special how the stairs

Feb 10, 06 10:56 am  · 
 · 
skunst

and these hemispherical sundial except functional , also very beautiful.

Feb 10, 06 11:02 am  · 
 · 
skunst

Indoor skiing in dubai

Feb 10, 06 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
skunst
skunst

realize nowthe title of this topic is far to narrow .
some people chose to go and live in the desert , if they can afford it .
Others were born there , it was not a matter of choice.
The sometimes tough climatical circomstances are the same , but the solutions and possibilitys completely different .
I have a limited mind , in that sense that I look to much in an way of beauty and esthetics to architecture, must be because I am spoiled by a more or less luxureus life , and I am a sculptor.
On the other hand look at the buildings in Inda , Tibet,iran, Egypt , which are all in the catagory " people who are born in the desert , most of them are very beautifull , in the form follows function concept . some added whith symbolic sculptural "additions which seems to be totaly part of the structure.
The Jones/hardin/Joy/ prince/chafee ,mentioned here I think are very special.
Robpaulus I like because its affordable for people whith lower incomes,
but not so briljant in design.
Earthship and comparable arch. , refers to the ecological and honest materials
and seems to , refer to the often beautifull form follows functionbuildings mentioned on top of this little story ,but for me lack the real quality because they seem to lack the roots where the other buildings came from, in that way it is a step back for me , the materials are natural and therefore very good for the envirement , but sometimes the use of them and the shapes look a bit childish to me .
the Idea for organic architecture , is at the moment a diffus thing and should be much more precisely defined in different sections.
I am an amator who's just starting to learn
But I am learning fast here thanks to all the links one finds on this , site.

Feb 10, 06 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

skunt: In these post, you must also acknowledge Frank Lloyd Wrights move to the Desert when he was in his 70's. I would post a site but I'm sure you can find more than one. I have been in one of his homes in the Biltmore Subdivision along with many of the public buildings he was involved with in the Phoenix Area. I must say they are all special. I would also acknowledge the work of Bruce Goff as he does have a special house in the Tucson Foothills. I spent half a year living across the street from it. Even had the owner invite me over for a Neighborhood Block Watch Party. When ever I can figure out the posting of pictures I will post one for you.

Feb 10, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Feb 10, 06 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
sharpie.

good call on hasan fathy works, nevermore.
to add more to the list- some works by abdel wahed el wakil and rasem badran? these guys are more popular in the middle east and mostly associated with islamic buildings- nubian architects with contemporary vernacular designs.

Feb 11, 06 9:36 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

just an fyi, my image post of hassan fathy appeared a day before nevermore's post. i dont know who designed the teepees...

Feb 11, 06 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

bruno house outside lubbock, texas (not exactly a desert, but damn close)

Feb 12, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe
Feb 12, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe
Feb 12, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

momentum these are spetacular spaces , I just wonder what such destint design will cost in bended steel. Realy such designs are fabular I just wonder what skilled craftsmen that requier, must be expensive hands.
Still when I see such architecture, I know that in 3D-H there would be plenty different way's to provide the basic structure, I could provide a 3D-H structure with walls and floors , all structure in plain sheet material, a core that will survive as 16 millimeter sheet steel --- provide longlive in a desert shuld we say 1000 years ?
So what will the cost of the plumbing and steel works for just the basic structure in rigid steel ?
Providing cheap housing is a splendid challance , I just wonder if you realised that such structure can be produced at a third the cost , even cheaper , now recently I seen people entering the fora saying "I am an architect" , now if _you are an architect why is it you complain about brilliant idears ?

Feb 12, 06 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I mean this ;

Feb 12, 06 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Such design can be refined from a matrix of overlapping planes , the square cubes in this kind of structure are all equal all boxes ; a 3D-H structure can be "bricked" from "bricks" that just fit into the honeycomb boxes. ----- when the assembly framework is assembled you can "plug" all the square holes with a standard "profile" ,after that the surface are there rough as steel edges and core filling, Well even with today's technology it is easy to realise a 3D robot carrying a torch to melt and harden a cheramic surface, covering both isolation as steel framework edges.
Just wonder ; would you know any pictures from the construction of the building you display, or do things such as how to do the actural thing, ever come in mind ?
You see you can make things in crome plated gold ,but this don't benefit architecture , Im'e just here to point to the fact that I been on to 3D-H for 12 years, ---- architects seem to have learned a criminal mind ,they rob you right away, likewise Romans, but it is my experience that in particular architects, seem to crowd to rob just for the fun of it.
Anyway just want to say that I find this a splendid design, real or not also it would be the perfect example to prove a 3D-H to be four times as strong, nicer in real than rendered. And maby it can be made for less than 700 pr sq.feet.

Feb 12, 06 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
momentum
http://www.robertbruno.com/

follow this link and explore away if you must vindpust formerly known as Per, but please don't bring up the 3D-Honeycomb system when it comes to this project.

My advice, design a project from the ground up using your "3d system". Detail everything from the way it hits the ground to the way it meets the sky. Show us how you skin it and keep water out, show us how it will be cheaper and last 1000 years, show us this "3D robot carrying a torch to melt and harden a cheramic surface"... but please, please do it in its own discussion.

Feb 12, 06 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

could be a fake per...

nearly 30 years to build is amazing, but bruno's house is really cool.

it would i think be not as nice if done with a honeycomb system anyway.

Feb 12, 06 8:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: