Archinect
anchor

English-speaking firms in Germany...

paranoid

I'm an upcoming M.Arch graduate wondering what the job prospects are for a non-German speaking ex-pat. I'm following my girlfriend to graduate school there, and while she does speak the language, she won't be available to trail me around the office as a translator.

Specifically, I'll be looking for work in Frankfurt, though Berlin might be an option if necessary. Can anyone here offer insight (empirical or anecdotal) as to how feasible such a gambit would be? Furthermore, if anybody has done this, are there specific firms to which I should be looking?

Jan 24, 06 7:43 pm
doberman

barkow leibinger/ bolles and wilson/ sauerbruck hutton. not sure if they're english speaking but you would expect so considering they're uk-us/german partnerships.

Jan 25, 06 5:00 am  · 
 · 
baker

i also would suggest behnisch+partner in stuttgart too, not far from frankfurt. they have completed work in the US and i believe have (or had) at least one american office.

i knew a german that worked at this office in stuttgart as well, nice work:
http://www.archlro.de/

also, you could visit www.detail.de for good firms - you can search by city for projects they've published.

most german professionals speak at least some english, and many are fluent. with a terminal degree (i.e. non-student) you might have more trouble obtaining work permission without an EU passport.

Jan 25, 06 10:09 am  · 
 · 
tempo01

i think we had the same discussion here some weeks ago, but beeing a german who´s working in shanghai right now i only can tell you that even for germans the chance of getting a job in germany is very tough....if you don´t got send out by an us office in the us, it will be quite hard for you finding anything, even not speaking the language...
WE are all struggling around there, so you will be another one....
but anyway good luck...

Jan 25, 06 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
annamaria

a friend of mine followed his g/f to Frankfurt as well...he actually just finished his Masters there...

i love the city itself but i understand it's been tough finding work...i'll refer him to this site and perhaps he can make suggestions?

good luck.

Jan 26, 06 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

yeah last i heard Germany is looking pretty bleak in the architecture field. I believe Ireland is kicking though, then you'll just have to learn how to drink as opposed to a language.

Jan 26, 06 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
alex_ian

since you´ll come here anyways, don´t be too pessimistic...of course you can´t expect much, but depending on your interests and qualifications you can find your niche... berlin´s niches are definitely hell of overcrowded, though... english-only limits your choices, but even in a german-speaking firm you might team with english-speakers... Lots of small firms do international competitions, so in any case you´ll find entertainment, and, "partners-of-graduate-students" have the most restricted visas anyways, as far as i know... the ones i know end up studying something more...

Jan 26, 06 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
five

sauerbruch is german speaking only--they're hiring german speaking interns for 7.51E/hr.

Libeskind in berlin is an english speaking office

Jan 26, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
sldjsg

Henn Architekten - http://www.henn.com

Henn Architeckten Studio B - http://www.studio-b.org

They hire someone who only can use English.

May 8, 12 12:10 am  · 
 · 
samruddhichitnis

please suggest me some good architectural firms in germany for freshers

Jun 11, 17 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
adbanh.obaid

Hi dear,  I'm searching for an internship ,  I'm studying interior Architecture  (Last Year) and I must get the internship before I graduate so if you can help me how to apply for an internship. Thanks in advance 

Aug 8, 17 11:35 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Hi dear, you apply by applying, not by posting here. Hope that helps! Cheers!

Aug 8, 17 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
sanjanamahesh

I'm a B.Arch fresher, I want to know what the job prospects are for a non-German speaking ex-pat. I moved to Germany as a dependent. I am learning German (completed A2).

Specifically, I'll be looking for work in Hamburg.

Can anyone here offer insights on what softwares and skills are required?  As I'm a fresher, I was wondering what kind of positions I can apply for? I will be greatful to any tips and suggestions.

Furthermore, are there specific firms to which I should be looking?

Looking forward for your valuable responses.

Feb 1, 20 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Barkow Leibinger has an American co-founder and quite a few GSD alumni have worked there, thanks to the two founders both having studied there.

Feb 1, 20 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
ankitasakpalkawade

hello , Being an Architect & having almost 5 years of experience in my country, I am searching for job here in Germany ,as we moved here last year.  But couldn't get any english speaking Architectural or interiors designing firms near Konstanz.  If anyone knows any firms in this area please let me know .

& one more thing will I be able to work on dependent visa and residence permit? 

thank you .

Please do let me know 

May 13, 20 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
basudebkumar

I have completed M. Arch ( in urban design) in Germany and possess a valid German Job seeker visa. I am searching suitable opening in German Architecture studio/company where English is also used. My German Language level is A1. I am also interested in 3D rendering jobs as well. Will anybody help?

Aug 7, 22 4:23 am  · 
 · 
Dhanesh

Hi ,I'm an architect by profession and I have more than four years of experience in the field of architecture and community development projects.  I have completed in  master's in smart city solutions at the University of Applied Sciences Stuttgart - HFT, Germany 2022 and   I worked as research assistant  at Fraunhofer IAO in the department of building culture innovation 2022.

Currently, I am looking for a job in the field of architecture, urban planning, or smart cities in Germany. I would greatly appreciate it if you could share any opportunities  with me. 

Aug 20, 22 9:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: