Archinect
pale shelter

if by underground they mean taking it (sustainable design) "to the grave" aka f^ck it! - then yeah! heck yeah!

i think the concept of sustainability is understood by 1% of the educated public - the inverted pyramid - underground yeahhh!! and so no relationship to the sky here - what about exiting requirements lol ? - all mechanical means to get people to safety at grade ABOVE?!  - natural ventilation, really? natural daylighting, you really think so? (no chance here)  - i thought these were sustainable precepts - i must be wrong, perhaps a droid designed this with some algorithmic idea of what sustainable design embodies

and the cultural response / design intent ? - as reflected in the article, talks about the unique quality of the stratified city layers thru time of the architecture in mexico city. this isn't anything special among cultural landmarks/cities - i found this to be my most interesting discovery while studying in rome -

but in Rome they celebrate, respond to, and maintain the history and beautiful architecture of the past - (i wish more of our american cities did this with early 1890-1920s work) .... THIS project does the opposite - ignores the significance of Mexico City's architecture (it's like saying, yes chopin, i can play an etude nearly as beautiful as yours, but i will put it on "mute"), ignores the city street where people EXIST -  responds with a "ehh f-k it, let's build a freakin inverted pyramid, maverick, and put this whole thing on it's head metaphorically AND physically.

don't get me wrong, cave-like / underground environments can be extremely inspiring when the hard,stone,sectional quality of the earth is experienced - think peter zumthor architecture - but i also think the 9/11 memorial will be a beautiful example of this underground architecture (granted it's a memorial and not a city in the ground)

Fun!

Dec 22, 11 1:06 am  · 
 · 
dia

Last time I looked, excavating and removing the required quantity of earth, and then building an inverted 775,000m2 structure underground wasn't particularly sustainable.

Dec 22, 11 3:18 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Does this strike anyone as, at long last, the anatomical "answer" (as it were) to the supposedly everpresent phallus in skyscraper design?  Rather pointy, yes, but finally a welcome opening for, say, the TransAmerica Pyramid...?

Dec 22, 11 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

evacuating upward in a fire seems dangerous.

Dec 22, 11 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

just plain dumb

Dec 22, 11 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

this would be incalculably expensive

Dec 22, 11 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

This is a idea that you have to admire for the stupidity of it -- not for the reality. No one really wants to live in a jackass movie -- they just want to see it. This is what your professors meant by paper architecture. To me, it looks like an attempt to call Smith+Gill copyists of Violet-le-Duc.

Dec 22, 11 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

underground buildings were the latest thinking back in the 1970s, but after a few attempts at subterranean living and working the idea was buried as a bad idea. so why are folks bothering to resurrect something better left for dead? what a waste of time and talent.  underground ain't sustainable or a good place to be.

Dec 22, 11 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

LOL citizen I like the way you think!

Dec 23, 11 12:28 am  · 
 · 
citizen

I'm just sayin'...

Dec 23, 11 1:56 am  · 
 · 
trace™

pretty model

Dec 23, 11 6:56 am  · 
 · 
TheMasterBuilder

http://youtu.be/i7900th4Ec8

Dec 26, 11 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: