Archinect
anchor

christian architects

micahkim

christian architects out there? is there interest in getting together? i am in new york

Jan 15, 06 11:35 pm
Living in Gin

Any particular type of Christian you have in mind? Quaker, Orthodox, Anabapitst, Roman Catholic, Coptic Orthodox, Calvinist, Lutheran, Anglican, Dutch Reformed are all okay? Or do you only mean evangelical born-again fundamentalists? Please clarify.

I'm a liberal Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian myself... Do I count as "Christian" enough?

Jan 16, 06 12:03 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra
are you by any chance..
Jan 16, 06 12:26 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore
Jan 16, 06 1:14 am  · 
 · 
TED

when someone calls themself a 'christian' i always associate them with born-again[and proud of it].

all else say greek orthidox, etc.

and generally bush supporters - so perhaps you should describe yourself a bit more

Jan 16, 06 2:31 am  · 
 · 
TED

and gin..... forget about meet up with other christian friends with a name like GIN. aint in the cards brother. how sinful!!

Jan 16, 06 2:34 am  · 
1  · 
Living in Gin

You obviously don't know us Episcopalians very well.

Q: How many Episcopalians does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Two. One to summon the butler to call the electrician, the other to mix the martinis while they wait.

Jan 16, 06 2:40 am  · 
 · 
dia

LIG, can I join?

Jan 16, 06 2:45 am  · 
 · 
TED

i'm just saying, those 'b-a christians' aint like'n those who take in drink. and with a name like LIG, its perhaps a clue that you like to have the odd drink once in a while [like drowning your sorrows with da loser bears] and probably if you took on a name like 'bush lover'- we'd sortof know where your coming from.

the meet up is probably at a church.

Jan 16, 06 3:11 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

guys, maybe this individual is just trying to meet up with some architects he/she has something in common with. let it go.

Jan 16, 06 8:53 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i'm non-denom. in atl. i was actually in NY all summer. want to go back soon.

Jan 16, 06 11:06 am  · 
 · 

quaker in the great SW

Jan 16, 06 11:12 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

where's evangelical bunny?

Jan 16, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 
ochona

"maybe there's a reason why I'm born again
there's something rare going on under my skies
you got to chill out, find a reason for your soul again
and judge the miracle by feel, not size
infinite the reasons why I'm born again
the modern innocents have soul on their side"

oh, sorry: born-again episcopalian in austin. another episcopalian joke: no matter what you believe, you'll find at least one episcopalian who agrees with you.

Jan 16, 06 11:49 am  · 
 · 
tagalong

I'm in new haven, not as cool as ny but not too far away...what did you have in mind?

Jan 16, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

burn some mosques, some abortion clinics...replacing them with temples! th e usual american christian fun.

Jan 16, 06 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The Salvation Army picks you up out of the gutter.
The Baptists get you saved.
The Methodists teach you how to sing.
The Presbyterians educate you.
The Episcopalians introduce you to high society.
Then the Salvation Army picks you up out of the gutter again.

Jan 16, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

I'm a Shaker...yep, the last one. And THAT'S why I haven't had sex in so long.

Jan 16, 06 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

beatledud, can't believe you missed the Badly Drawn Boy lyrics.

Jan 16, 06 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

result! thanks super.

Jan 16, 06 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
White T. Rash

my ex's step-cousin drew has snakes at his church.

Jan 16, 06 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

^ I like this guy's gimmick

Jan 16, 06 6:56 pm  · 
 · 

Gott im Himmel!

Katholisch bis dort nauß!

Jan 16, 06 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

looks like extra attendance on account of easter!

Jan 16, 06 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
rsteath

Amen micahkim. I've been praying for us out there. My e-mail is rsteath@yahoo.com

Jan 17, 06 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
rsteath

and Yes, I am relocating to NY this year...

Jan 17, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

how 'bout any anarchist athiest architects out there? AAA

Jan 17, 06 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
norm

i'm an atheist...but if i can wear one of those pointy hats i'm in.

Jan 17, 06 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

perhaps an inter-faith architect soccer league could settle this.

Jan 17, 06 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Nell Lime

I am proud to be a follower of Christ.
As to where I am... East Coast near water (at the moment)
There's a cool firm that does mission stuff. EMI I've had some friends who've worked for them. They provide architectural services for places in third world countries that normally can't afford to hire architects, like schools, churches, orphanges, etc. I believe one of my friends worked in Brazil.
Really Cool.

Jan 18, 06 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
aarondg

Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, 2 peter 3

Fellowship is necessary, and i'm glad you seek it out. i'd come hang out if i didn't live in SLO, CA

bless,

aaron

Dec 21, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Mocking and lusting.... These are a few of my favorite things.

Dec 21, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

LiG, that is so true, i spend most of my days doing those two things!

Dec 21, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i like mocking lust.

Dec 21, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

you guys are all nuts... freedom requires religion! just like religion requires freedom!

Dec 21, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

hmmmm....a very religious person might define morality as religion, or at least non-existant without it. perhaps freedom requires religion because without fear of government, one must have fear of god to keep themselves in check, so to speak.

Dec 21, 07 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

metamechanic: architect = natural atheist? FAIL.

Dec 21, 07 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

It does seem like 90% of architects are non-religious. Why is that? Why are architects more likely to be non-religious than everyone else?

Dec 21, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I don't know the religious beliefs of any contemporary starchitects (probably not something choose to make a public announcement about, anyway), but Ralph Adams Cram was a devout Anglo-Catholic. Maybe he was an exception, though.

Let's see...

Frank Lloyd Wright = Unitarian, I think
Mies Van Der Rohe = ??
LeCorbusier = Atheist (presumably)
Louis Kahn = Jewish, but I don't know if he was observant

Interesting question... Any others?

Dec 21, 07 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

when someone start a thread and called himself a christian architect, why do they have to re-register a new name??

is he/she too proud or shame to be called christian architect?

Dec 21, 07 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Chicken-Eatin' Methodist checking in. We're like the protestants who can drink, use tobacco, and dance. We even have gay members in the South *gasp*. Hell, our official slogan is Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.

Those are some pretty good Episcopalian jokes from last year (almost 2 years ago). Given I had always heard the one with the salvation army as the Methodists who would pick you up out of the gutter. We wrote most of the hymns in your protestant hymnals, but music's not really our thing.

Meta, I completely disagree with the whole architect=atheist. We're a lot more diverse profession than that.

aspect, I don't know about the person who started this thread, but I'm not too proud or ashamed to be called a Christian architect. I certainly don't use that to distinguish myself. I wouldn't put it on a business card. But I'm not ashamed of the fact that I am a Christian.

Dec 22, 07 12:10 am  · 
 · 
ryanj

Christian first, then architect (well, working on it).

Dec 22, 07 1:51 am  · 
 · 
pbednar

i think its more like

good architect = atheist

Dec 22, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

A good architect is somebody who wouldn't be prone to making stupid generalizations.

Dec 22, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 
pbednar

wrong.

you would be very hard pressed to mention a single good architect who is religious.

i repeat rule #1:

good architect = atheist.

Dec 22, 07 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Ah. You said it twice, so it must be true. Sounds like the sort of "logic" a fundie bible-thumper would employ.

Define "good architect."

Dec 22, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Ah. You said it twice, so it must be true. Sounds like the sort of "logic" a fundie bible-thumper would employ.

Define "good architect."

Dec 22, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
pbednar

no. you name a 'religious architect', and then we can argue if he is good or not.

Dec 22, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

No amount of anecdotal examples could satisfactorily demonstrate that there is something inherent in the practice of architecture (or good architecture) that implies atheism.

Dec 22, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

(and pbednar, do I understand your response to LiG properly: good architects are prone to stupid generalisations?)

Dec 22, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: