Archinect
anchor

I got (fake) wood

garpike

My office just got some fake wood veneer samples from our project architect in Japan for a project we are now working on over there. I have to say, the stuff looks pretty believable, and versatile.

The samples came from [url=http://surfacequest.com/]Belbien[\url] and some other company written in Japanese.

So am I crazy for liking this? Is Louis Kahn rolling around in his grave right now?

Nov 30, 05 9:52 pm
garpike
Belbien

Forward slash forward slash...

Nov 30, 05 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
nicomachean

well we don't build buildings out of structural stone of brick anymore -- it's essentially a veneer. love the tread title.

Nov 30, 05 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Ha ha yeah...

It made me think of this board game called 'Settlers of Catan' which involved the use of resources to collect, trade, and use to build roads and cities. Well, long story short, two resources are wood and sheep and in most every game I've played, you would have some poor, soul say during his or her trading phase, "I've got wood for sheep!" and be the brunt of overly thought out and wordy nerdgasms, pig-snort laughs, and open-mouthed nasally gafaws...

Dec 1, 05 1:22 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

Ack, I was just relating that EXACT same story to a friend of mine not 4 days ago. Except I had the dubious joy of my little brother's company that evening and he, six years my junior, phrased it, "I have wood, I need sheep".
I watched the realization change his face as it left his mouth, it was beautiful.

Dec 1, 05 8:41 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I"ve got a ton of samples for that Parklex stuff - looks REALLY nice.

Is this cheaper than the 'real/fake' veneers? There are many that use real wood, but fake the species. UF visited a huge plant in Italy that did this. Impressive, guys in lab coats and all!

In the end, it just matters how well it'll look and last, at least for public spaces.

Dec 1, 05 8:41 am  · 
 · 
A

I've worked with surfacequest before. Very nice stuff but it isn't cheap. The best synthetic wood veneers are coming out of Japan and Asia since real wood is quite expensive there. The color pallet is amazing.

Dec 1, 05 8:49 am  · 
 · 
garpike

trace, that's crazy science: Wood standing in for wood! "Walnut" stains give me the willies, but it is a necessary evil. You can wipe a species onto the surface of another.

I have this Swamp Ash bass guitar that caused a bit of an argument. This girl insisted it was oak, which I can see why there would be confusion - similar grain, light color. I explained to her what it was, and since I guess ash wasn't in her vocab, she said "No. It's oak." We went back and forth until finally I blurted out "You can't use oak on guitars!*" Whoops. "Why not?" she asked. I explained tonewoods and what not, and she just shook it off as b.s. If only I could have swallowed my pride back then and just said "You're right. It's oak." I would have maybe added a few years to my life.

*Peavey made one oak guitar back in the late 70's. It never caught on.

Dec 1, 05 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

I think you should have just said, "would you like to pee in my mouth?"

conversation over.

Dec 1, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Hindsight is 20/20...

Dec 1, 05 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: