Archinect
anchor

Architecture Volunteer work Abroad. Any suggestions??

pacislander

21/BS Arch

With graduation around the corner I'm looking into alternatives to do something in architecture other than an internship before going to grad school. While internships are indeed valuable to gain professional exposure as well as fulfilling the IDP, the idea of volunteering abroad sounds very appealing. Although I don't have much hands on experience, I strongly value new cultural experiences and I am interested in traveling everywhere.

I have looked into Habitat for Humanity's Global Village program, but I'm interested in something more long term (1/2 year, Full year), preferably a program that provides housing and some sort of food stipend. Is there such thing as a program that provides those benefits?

If anyone has participated in something related or knows someone who has, I would love to hear some feedback. Thanks. 

Dec 1, 11 1:50 am
adobeisnotsoftware

What about the Peace Corps?  They even have some situations that will count towards IDP.

Dec 1, 11 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
byen01

I'm blanking on the name, but there's a public interest + design/build-y architecture/planning fellowship, possibly 1-2 years long, that's run through a university in the south (I thought it was LSU or Auburn, but a quick google search didn't turn up anything). I think it may qualify for IDP? Sorry if that's incredibly vague.

Aaaaaaand I just saw the *abroad* part. Whoops.

Dec 1, 11 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
kristinelv

Hello! I'm searching now also volunteering. So did u find anything in the end??

Has anyone had an affordable experience in africa or some other corner of world?

Jun 19, 15 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

byen01's oversight raises a good point- why not volunteer close to home?

Jun 19, 15 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: