GRE scores; too high or too low?

Nov 23 '05 10 Last Comment
Nov 23, 05 3:09 am

People have mentioned that GRE scores don't matter much unless they're really high or low. What are high and low scores? (1400 and above?, 1000 and below?).

Nov 23, 05 7:17 am

My scores were high.

Nov 23, 05 8:09 am

high are probably above 85th percentile

anything in the 30th percentile and below is low

these are just my opinion based on how these scores look on paper. don't use a combined score, look at the percentiles for each section.

Nov 23, 05 8:11 am

Some schools list there low-end cut off at 1000 or 1100 I think.

Nov 23, 05 10:03 am

Q.1. What do you mean TOO HIGH? do they refuse admission quoting scores that are too HIGH?
Q.2. For what kind of masters courses do you need the GRE? I thought architecture/design courses didn't require a GRE score.

Nov 23, 05 10:23 am

'too high' was written in error. I don't think schools refuse anyone with score that are high. I just wonder if there's a point at which one's score is high enough that it makes a big difference to your application.

Most M.Arch programs require GRE scores.

Nov 26, 05 3:57 pm

how much do they weight in being accepted?

Nov 26, 05 4:21 pm

rsteath, on the main page of the discussion forum there's a "search" feature at the very bottom. Use it. That topic has been covered dozens of times.

Montaigne, it would take a very extreme score for it to make an impact either way. 30th percentile is probably a good estimate for a score that would raise a red flag. Too high won't make a huge impact at most places. Good test takers and good designers are different. Bad test takers, however, raise red flags.

Just my 2 cents having gone through it last year.

Nov 26, 05 6:10 pm

would anyone know what the 30th percentile is?

Nov 26, 05 6:25 pm

thanks MMatt.

Nov 26, 05 7:35 pm

its'a all there

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading