Archinect
anchor

what defines a building?

Transparence

According to you, what defines a building?

Form

Function

or Both

Nov 27, 11 1:10 pm

Some variety of structure, natural or artificial, that resists gravity and provides shelter from at least one of the elements.

Nov 27, 11 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Form

Nov 28, 11 6:01 pm  · 
 · 

hey J James, you been around lately and I have just been missing you or?

as to the question, what do you think defines a building? structure, program or construction?

Nov 28, 11 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

Isn't it as simple as just the result of the act of 'building', i.e. construction? I'd argue that program or formal consideration may not be necessary.

Nov 28, 11 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
MountainBoy

I agree with FRaC, I believe a building is defined through form. Function is always interchangeable which is proven by many a starchitect that you can insert program into the most outlandish of forms.

I think a better question might be:

How do you define Architecture? 

Nov 28, 11 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Architecture? I would say that when the intended purpose of a building becomes secondary to something more fundamental to the human or natural condition with regard to culture, art, or science, it is Architecture.  When "nothing can be either added or subtracted without comprimising its nature" it is great Architecture

Nov 29, 11 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

the planning department.

Nov 30, 11 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
blueprintdesigns

I think a building is something that is constructed and provides useful space for its inhabitants.  A wheat silo is not a building and neither is a bridge, they are just structures

House designs are buildings and so are stadiums and libraries.

Dec 1, 11 4:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: