Archinect
anchor

PDF Question?

jumpy

Anyone know if there is any print quality difference in a PDF verse a PSD or Tiff file. Thanks

Nov 14, 05 9:18 am
tagalong

not unless you are printing at a huge scale looking at it with a magnifying glass.

Nov 14, 05 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

When you save, look at the save options and under compression you can see how the images will be compressed. If you set the resolution of your images to be higher than the actual Tiffs, the Tiffs in the pdf will remain unchanged.

Nov 14, 05 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

in addition to what garpike said, if you're coming from an application that can handle vectors (cad, indesign, illustrator), and you have something other than pictures in your document, the print quality will actually be better (especially if you uncheck the "compress vector art" box in the same panel garpike mentioned)

Nov 14, 05 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

for raster images, PDFs use jpeg compression. so it IS a bit lossy.

side note: i really don't mind JPGs for images, but i hate mp3s for their lack of quality. i haven't noticed a significant detriment in JPGs. can someone show/tell me why i should be using tiffs?

Nov 15, 05 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

The only reason I would consider a tif is that it can maintain photoshop layers within it, thereby negating the need for an additional .psd file.

Nov 15, 05 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Our IT guy hates JPEGs hard. He tells us to save our PDFs with ZIP compression, never JPEG. Apprently JPEGs tend to crash plotters.

Nov 15, 05 11:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: