Archinect
anchor

What is the best laptop for architecture students?

piero1910

I want to know this because many people tell me that apple MacBook is the best for architecture. But, is it worthy to buy a macbook? o I can buy another computer which can be really good. I was think on this one.  http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dndodv1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=xps-l502x

Is this laptop good? or which other you recommend? I would want a laptop which would be good for 3D. 

Nov 11, 11 10:11 pm
technophobia

Since when is a MacBook good for architecture? I use one myself, but my time is divided between 2D graphic art and architecture. The graphics cards in MacBooks just isn't up to snuff for heavy 3D work.

That laptop you're looking at seems solid. The only thing that gives me pause is the relatively low-resolution for a 15" screen, but the price of upgrading to a full HD screen is a little steep. For that money you could get a decent monitor to supplement your laptop. Also, you'll want to go see it in person if you can, especially since it's Dell. They can be very hit-or-miss with build quality.

Nov 11, 11 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
piero1910

So, what would you recommend me to buy?

Nov 11, 11 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
technophobia

What's your budget? If you can stretch what looks like a $1000 limit a little, I'd go for a Thinkpad. They're not the prettiest laptops around, but they're pretty damn reliable and built like tanks. Look at the T-series if you want something (relatively) thin and light and the W-series if you value performance over portability.

Nov 12, 11 12:51 am  · 
 · 
Lackey

HAHA!  Yes, Apple is not just a company, they're pieces of alien technology flown down to earth by the medium Steve Jobs.  RIP.

Best thing about the MacBook Pro is the super solid aluminum shell - that's it.  The OS is fine too, unless you're doing architecture, in which case 1/3 of the needed programs will require you to run Windows on it anyways.

For 1500 bucks my laptop blows away any Apple of the same price - you can argue the qualitative merits of design, OS, firm philosophy, etc... But that won't get your rendering done any quicker or let you run multiple programs seamlessly.

I've enjoyed building PC laptops through powernotebooks.com, they've helped me out a few times, and I've enjoyed the products immensely.

Lenovo's are a bit pricier but very good products regardless.

Nov 12, 11 12:59 am  · 
 · 
architortured

At my school, basically 90% of the architecture students have 15" Macbook Pros.  Macs will be the only computer that will last as long as you are in school, most other computers you will have to replace-so it is worth the investment.  The problem about Macs is that a majority of graphic programs- rhino for example, do not have mac versions yet.  So what ends up happening is that you will have to split your hard drive (there is a software called bootcamp that will do this for you), so that it is half mac and half pc.

I recommend that you call the person who runs the graphics/ computer part of your schools program- and ask them what they recommend for you.

Nov 12, 11 2:29 am  · 
 · 
Spackle

i have the dell xps 15, loaded with almost all the goodies. $1300.  It's great.

I use Revit, Max, SketchUp, Maya, Rhino, Arc GIS, Arc Scene, Adobe CS5... Sometimes when I have a lot of heavy programs open/rendering it can get a little slow but not too bad.  

Don't skip on your processor or ram. Get the 1080i and black lit keys. the speakers are great too.

I also have an Imac partitioned with windows. I love it too but you need mobility and power. For the price, you can't beat the dell xps.  

Nov 12, 11 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
Riz91

I've been reading everybody's comments and iv'e learnt a lot, but its really hard choosing a laptop that would not bring me down. I'm starting my Diploma in Architecture, i don't know much about laptop or anything about upgrading, and i'd be really appreciative if you would let me know if this specs are good for an acer laptop?

Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor (2.2GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz)
6GB system memory
1TB HDD
15.6" display
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Dual Boot – French or English
8X DVD-Super Multi Double-Layer Drive
Intel HD 3000 graphics
Acer Crystal Eye high-definition webcam with built-in microphone
Built-in stereo speakers
Connectivity options include 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet and Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n
Ports include 1 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0 and 1 x HDMI
Black finish
Bilingual keyboard
Dimensions: 0.24"(H) x 15"(W) x 10"(D)
Weight: 5.7 lb.
1-Year limited warranty

Aug 5, 12 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

The best laptop for architecture is the one sitting on your desk when it's time to get to work.

Aug 5, 12 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
mbilski

If you go the windows route check out newegg.com and tigerdirect.com they're great price wise and they have a lot of variety. most of it won't be customize-able but it's good for just researching what's out there

Aug 6, 12 9:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: