Archinect
anchor

Hill side single family housing

Someone recently asked me to suggest a precedent for single family housing on hill sides, and I drew a blank...of course I could think of a few..but none that did it well - integrating the landscape with the house, both visually and spatially.

Oct 16, 05 3:54 pm
sameolddoctor

check out the rokko (i think am spelling the name right) housing by ando...its an apartment complex, as i recall, but the layouts,views and construction are really cool

Oct 16, 05 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Dragger House - Frank Israel
Douglas House - Richard Meier

Numerous FLW and Schindler homes. The Sturges residence in LA is incredible (amazing in person, also amazing it's only like 900 sqft).

Oct 16, 05 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

schindler - wolfe house
schindler - elliot house

Oct 16, 05 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

jersey devils- hill house

Oct 17, 05 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
TSCOMG

like trace and silverlake already mentioned:

schindler made a career out of building houses that respond innovatively to their difficult sites. the wolfe house in particular is interesting, as it is likely the direct antecedent of wright's usonian houses- which are good case studies themselves.

maybe look at "building the slope", by dominique rouillard. it deals with houses built in california from 1920 to 1960 and uses many schindler precedents. at times kind of simplistic, but useful nonetheless in its straight forward presentation of a number of site strategies.

Oct 17, 05 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

Alejandro Aptilon is doing a gfreat one in Mexico city...

Oct 17, 05 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

Peter Stutchbury of Stutchbury and Pape....not bad for an Aussie :)

Oct 19, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

although i couldn't name any specific projects, i would assume that john lautner has done a few of these...try looking him up.

Oct 19, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

and i'm pretty sure that there is a richard meier house in northern michigan (the douglas house in harbor springs, maybe??) that is adjacent a hill and consequently the entry is on the top level instead of the bottom.

Oct 19, 05 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Johnston Marklee - Hill House

Oct 19, 05 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

how could I forget Lautner...another great

Oct 19, 05 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i'll do it for $12,500.00!

Mar 14, 16 1:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: