Archinect
anchor

The most beautiful definition I've ever read...

driftwood

It's hard to tell if this was written exclusively about the 'structural behavior' of a built structure or something more... human.

Couple: A system of forces composed of two equal forces of opposite direction, offset by a distance. A couple is statically equivalent to a moment whose magnitude equals the magnitude of the force times the offset distance.

Oct 11, 05 4:11 pm
WtfWtfWtf™
Irony

An Incongruity Between What Is Expected And What Actually Happens.

Sort of Like This Thread

Oct 11, 05 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Saint Pope Celestine V :

Unfitted for the papal office in ever respect except for his holiness.
--The Pelguin Dictionary of Saints

Oct 11, 05 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Nice one, quondam.

I'll botch this, as it was something I heard in a lecture not read, but Dan Hoffman referred to architecture as the intersection between the elliptical orbits of the bright star of science and the dark star of philosophy.

Oct 11, 05 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

IRONY
a dead clown

Oct 12, 05 12:21 am  · 
 · 

"So what then is architecture? Is it a hard, ‘simple’, ‘natural’ protective shell that engenders the continuation of life? Or is it a soft formlessness forever redesigning an applied shell it doesn’t naturally have?"
--QBVS 1, p. 148.

Oct 12, 05 8:01 am  · 
 · 
norm

liberty bell
with acknowledgement of botchiness...i guess i've been out of school for too long because i have no idea who Dan Hoffman is; but he's only 66.6667% correct - architecture lies at the nexus of art, science, and philosophy. i imagine that none of the three are never completely dark, nor bright, but are always some combination of the two.

Oct 12, 05 9:16 am  · 
 · 
norm

oops - none of the three are ever. sorry.

Oct 12, 05 9:16 am  · 
 · 
aeaa

was Dan Hoffman the chair or something at cranbrook? I feel like I saw him lecture about 6 years ago while in an all nighter mode/stupor yet, found the his work and that of his students to be truly powerful. This post is not really appropriate for the thread huh? oh well.....

Oct 12, 05 11:24 am  · 
 · 
rutger

The library, you know, where the books live.

Willow in Buffy the vampire slayer, season 1, episode 1

Oct 12, 05 11:35 am  · 
 · 
siggers

I am bus.

Oct 12, 05 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yes, aeaa, Hoffman was architect-in-residence at Cranbrook. I had a similar in-an-all-nighter-stupor-but-blown-away-by-amazing-images lecture event in school when I saw Will Bruder speak on Scarpa - I still hallucinate those things I was seeing.

Back to the thread, here are two more architecture-related definitions:

An architect is someone who can build a functional firepit while simultaneously discussing the poetics of fire. (from a fellow Cranbrook student)

and

An architect is an artist who wants to make his mother happy. (the brilliant Dave Hickey)

Though not really beautiful, more like painful, that second one has stuck with me. And yes, norm, art does need to be in there somewhere, but I think it lies more in the realm of philosophy.

Oct 12, 05 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
lamina

Architecture is the triumph of Human Imagination over materials, methods,
and men, to put man into possession of his own Earth. It is at least the
geometric pattern of things, of life, of the human and social world. It
is at best that magic framework of reality that we sometimes touch upon
when we use the word `order.'

- FLW

Oct 12, 05 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I am ten ninjas

Oct 12, 05 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
ret

INCEST: A game the whole family can play.
...........................................................by Mr.Red Nec

Oct 13, 05 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

lamina,

In regards to order; I often wonder what gives humans "more" order. Going to the moon, a television or architecture?

Oct 13, 05 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

neerajkumar that book sucks! archiwut8 i thought you were yelling at a bot but that archinector appears to have real comments....I am bot, therefore I exist!

Mar 2, 17 6:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: