Archinect
anchor

Gre Scores? For Grad Sch

jumpy

Just curious about these. I know everyone says they aren't the most important part of you package but what is the lowest you can score and still have a shot at being admitted with strong recommendations and portfolio. Anyone admitted with low scores. I haven't actually taken it yet but I haven't been doing to well on practice test.

Oct 6, 05 9:32 am
meta

yeah somebody answer to that please..

i got somewhere around the 40th percentile in verbal and around 70th percentile in quans in a practice test. would i have a chance?

i`m planning to apply to SCI-arc, UCLA... what should the min. score be? anyone?

Oct 6, 05 9:52 am  · 
 · 
meta

GRE is`nt important, PORTFOLIO is.the reflections from previous archinect posts regarding GRE. someone even mentioned a friend got accepted to the ivies with the least scores. how much could he have got?

i`ve got a pretty decent portfolio done, but don`t think i could get someone really famous to write a recommendation for me.*sigh

i guess i`m gettin worked up now.

Oct 6, 05 9:57 am  · 
 · 
jumpy

I've noticed that most schools don't seem to ever state a minimum but there has got to be a point were most schools will not consider you anymore.

Oct 6, 05 10:05 am  · 
 · 
meta

for all i know a few schools don`t need a gre score.

Oct 6, 05 10:11 am  · 
 · 
jumpy

What schools besides Columbia don't require GRE scores

Oct 6, 05 10:16 am  · 
 · 
jumpy

Anyone?

Oct 6, 05 10:49 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

it seems to me that the selection of a grad school (for architecture) should have nothing to do with GRE score policies; aside from questioning if you want to attend a program that places a high value on scores.

Oct 6, 05 11:50 am  · 
 · 
meta

speaking of univs that place a high value on scores, what are they?

i`ve heard univ of arlington, umich, uiuc, ncsu don`t need gre scores if you are applying for a 2 year professional degree.

Oct 6, 05 11:59 am  · 
 · 
meta

columbia requires a gre btw.

Oct 6, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

According to their website a GRE is not required:

Applications are due February 15. All applicants for admission to the program must have a B.Arch. or M.Arch. degree or the equivalent. In addition to the application form and required supporting documents, applicants must submit a portfolio containing examples of their architectural designs, particularly from the last two years of undergraduate training. The portfolio should not exceed 8 1/2 by 11 inches, should not measure more than 1/2 inch in thickness, and should be submitted with the application. The portfolio will be returned by mail only if sufficient postage and packaging are included and if the return address is indicated on the portfolio. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required.

Applicants for this program enter in the summer term; they must attend on a full-time basis for three consecutive semesters

Oct 6, 05 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
eureka

Does an 840 eliminate me even with good rec's and portfolio????
I'm not a good test taker and frankly I think the test is irrelevant just as many other test. Oh well I'm going to try agian and see but I just don't see being accepted anywhere with those scores if other have please share your experience.

Oct 6, 05 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
meta

jumpy could you attach the link please?

Oct 6, 05 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

Heres a link
http://www.arch.columbia.edu/

An 840 seems pretty low but if scores truely don't matter then I guess it's possible

Oct 6, 05 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

if scores didn't matter, why would they ask for them?

Oct 6, 05 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

Well, I'm just going by what others have said on here in the past.

Oct 6, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

From Columbia University:
Applicants to the M.Arch, Urban Planning and Historic Preservation programs must submit the results of the General (Aptitude) test of the GRE.
Test scores should arrive by the program deadline.
dont get caught with your pants down...

Oct 6, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

Let me see, not applying to the M.arch there but to the Master of Science Degree in Advanced Architectural Design http://www.arch.columbia.edu/gsap/44524
There for no GRE.

Oct 6, 05 1:22 pm  · 
 · 

oh i guess i missed that, yeah i dont think many people ask for GRE's for MS's.

Oct 6, 05 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

I'll have a five year degree so I'm going for a post-professional degree

Oct 6, 05 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

I didn't get into a few "top" schools and I doubt it was because I had an average GRE score-it had more to do with where I went to undergrad, portfolio and recommendations. I had the portfolio to get into regional programs, but as far as top schools...I think what people have said is correct-portfolio is key. The committee isn't necessarily looking for people who have already arrived, but for people who have the potential to do great things...

Oct 6, 05 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

I had one of the lowest....I'm not kidding....very low. GRE holds more weight for people without a design background...

I think the more important components are grades, port, letters and personal statement. those are key.

Oct 6, 05 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

If anything focus on the written section (it's the easiest score to improve)....also certain schools focus on GREs more than others so just take the test and apply to as many schools as you can afford.

Oct 6, 05 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

Threads, just curious but were accepted into your top the school. What school did you get into

Oct 7, 05 9:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: