Archinect
anchor

Industrial Scars photography by J Henry Fair

LayingOutTheDots*

Artist quote:

"I have been concerned about environmental issues for a long time as well as being fascinated by the graphic beauty of machines and the importance of industrial decay. All of these interests combine in this body of work. They came together a few years ago with the realisation that this subject matter could move people to potentially have the power to change our direction for the better.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

Oct 28, 11 5:45 am
chatter of clouds

your succubus?

Oct 28, 11 6:19 am  · 
 · 

Thanks for sharing! There are several other photographers take similar aerial pics of industrial processes. Burtynsky, Alex MacLean, David Maisel, Emmitt Gowen, Gursky, Chris Jordan, Micheal Light, Toshio Shibata even the Bechers to name a few.

(okay, not an aerial - but my fav burtynsky pic.)

Oct 28, 11 9:45 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

wow, that's crazy. sure that's not processed?

Oct 28, 11 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

Most of these are probably not too processed but do have a fair amount of color saturation added to them.

Not the picture I was looking for. But there's a few pictures out there of a rainbow-colored Ganges river cause by when the textile industries empty out their dye ponds and flush them straight into the river. And these just aren't your regular clothing dyes that are usually non- to somewhat-toxic. Most of the dyeing practices revolve around the use of hexavalent chromium, various metallic salts and other things generally now banned in the U.S.

While chromium dye is illegal in the Western world, it's not illegal in India, Pakistan or Bangladesh. Most of you're "off-the-rack" cotton clothing from major retailers is grown, woven, dyed and sewn in India where there's very little regulation regarding contamination, toxic chemicals or environmental regulation.

Oct 28, 11 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

Knowing the aesthetics of burtynski and the chemistry of the pollution that is being documented - those are the real colors folks. Just because flickr has twisted photography, doesn't mean that all photographers photoshop or heavily manipulate stuff.

Oct 28, 11 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
miesian

Burtynski actually shoots with a large format, non-digital. At least in his documentary, manufactured landscapes, which was really good.

I didn't  know about J. Henry, thanks for sharing dots.

Oct 28, 11 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
mireio

Great article in the last issue of the New Left Review on the topic, Jacob Emery's "The Art of the Industrial Trace."

http://newleftreview.org/?page=article&view=2919

Oct 31, 11 11:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: