Archinect
anchor

Internship Salary [Switzerland]

JAYWR

I've got the opportunity to do an internship at a medium-sized office in Switzerland but have no clue on what's the usual/fair salary for such position.

What would be a fair offer? Can somebody help me?

Cheers. ;)

Oct 22, 11 6:25 am
fokt

I wouldn't expect much. Interns in Japan don't get paid at all. In Denmark it seems there might be rules that require interns to be paid something, but in my experience it's only around €700 - €800 a month. There is guy on Archinect with a blog who interned at Herzog & DeMeuron in Basel. Maybe send him an email.

Oct 22, 11 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
JAYWR

I know it varies by country. I also know that in Japan interns work long, long hours for basically nothing and that some countries like Denmark set a minimum stipind for intern positions. But all of that tells me nothing about Switzerland or I wouldn't have opened this thread. ;) There must be a lot of Swiss interns/architects in here...

Who's the guy who interned at H&dM? Do you have his email?

Oct 22, 11 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
fokt

Sorry you didn't understand me. I'm saying that it doesn't matter which country you're in, if you get paid, it won't be much. If you're still in school and are taking 6-12 months off, and/or if it's a really good office, have fun and do the internship. If you're finished with school and need a salary, then find a permanent position.

Oct 22, 11 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
JAYWR

It doesn't matter which country you're in? Well the two examples you gave prove just the opposite. Or do you think it's the same working for free or getting paid 800Eur? Sure 800Eur in say Copenhagen isn't much, but c'mon there's a big difference!

I don't care if it's a really good office (it is, actually) or not. I value my work and would never do it for free or for a value that would make me feel like I was being exploited. It's about self-respect.

Anyway, that's not even the point, so let's stay ontopic. I just wanna know what are Switzerland's "standards/common practice".

Oct 22, 11 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

haha, yeah, what does intern pay in Japan have to do with this post? Friends that have done this, tell me 800-1200 euros /month is about right.

Oct 23, 11 3:37 am  · 
 · 
JAYWR

Thanks for your input intotheloop. ;)

But are you sure you mean EUR and not CHF?

Oct 23, 11 5:05 am  · 
 · 
JAYWR

Nobody else?

Oct 25, 11 5:03 am  · 
 · 
farougi

1200 euros a month. EUROS not CHF.. altho CHF has risen incredibly in value in the last months anyway. just about enough to get u a room in zurich.

Oct 25, 11 7:53 am  · 
 · 

in 2008-2009 pay was around 2000 chf/month for interns ("praktikant") and 3000+ chf/mo for junior architects. 

Oct 26, 11 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

cost-of-living in Switzerland is actually pretty good. Rent (shared apt), transport, and groceries are all reasonably priced (at least in Basel); but the restaurants and bars are painful....

Oct 26, 11 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
JAYWR

@Evan Chakroff

I see you've worked at H&dM so you definitely know what you're talking about. Thx! ;)

BTW, how much are you left with after taxes?

Oct 27, 11 7:14 am  · 
 · 

jaywr - taxes aren't bad, it's a sliding scale. I don't remember the exact numbers...

Oct 27, 11 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
r75!

Some one I went to school with worked a year in Switzerland not sure how much he made but he told me he paid no taxes

Oct 27, 11 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Hassanul mishab

i m too interested to join as intetrn in switzerland...can anyone help me out by giving architects name or their office..i prefer  simple small firms there

Nov 30, 15 6:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: