Archinect
anchor

Interview tips?

JordantHarris

I have an interview this friday for a co-op position. Any tips on what employers like to hear? I'm pretty comfortable with interviewing, but any advice can always help.

Aug 24, 05 11:36 am

don't go in just trying to tell them what they want to hear. If you do that, you may end up in a job that you're really not a good fit for. Tell them the truth (but sometimes a slightly softer/vaguer version is acceptable).

Aug 24, 05 11:48 am  · 
 · 
JordantHarris

Well, of course.

Aug 24, 05 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

Be yourself, no compromises. From what you say to how you dress.

Aug 24, 05 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
JordantHarris

Ok, so that means I wear my best friend's little sisters jeans, a white belt and my favorite atreyu shirt, right?

Aug 24, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

well, you understanding that wasn't very obvious from your post... "Any tips on what employers like to hear?"

They like to hear that you're a team player, but also a go-getter.
They like to hear that you can multi-task, but still give your attention to every detail.
They like to hear that you'll work for free.
They like to hear that you've got a ton of previous experience, are well connected, and still keep in touch with your previous employers, who were of course wonderful, but you're willing to leave it all because you're so interested in working for them.

These things may or may not be true. I'm betting on the 'not'.

Aug 24, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

If that's what you're planning to wear to work, yes. Seriously, what they see in the interview should be what they get if they hire you.

Aug 24, 05 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

my thougts exactly rationalist, if thats how you're going to dress, then so be it.

but if you like Atreyu, I wouldn't exactly advertise that...

Aug 24, 05 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
job job

archimax, is this your new user name?

make sure to negotiate a parking space this time, 'jordan'.

Aug 24, 05 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

we've had two people in the last month who interviewed well, told the boss what he wanted to hear, etc, and both are gone because they couldn't accomplish what they were able to portray themselves as.

i'd worry more about what you can do vs what they want to hear.

Aug 24, 05 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Just one basic tip. If you interview with them, like the office, like the people, feel like it's a good tip, and decide you want the job - tell them so. Don't beg, don't kiss butt, just make it known that your are enthusiastic. Often employers can't tell if a prospective employee has any enthusiasm for their firm specifically, or is just looking for any job that comes along. If you like the firm, tell them you are impressed and eager to work there.

And yes, relax and be yourself.

Aug 24, 05 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
JG

I just finished interviewing a round of people for a design position at my firm. The people who I always call back for a second interview are those who can carry on a conversation and respond to what I am saying. Most people will simply nod thier heads at everything I say, mostly from nerves I guess, but don't do this. You will come across as vacant and distant rather then engaging and sharp. This, for myself, is the most important aspect of the interview; portfolio is a distant second.

Aug 24, 05 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Neha, this question is 9 years old... no need to resurrect dead horses.

Aug 2, 14 8:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: