Archinect
anchor

How to make attractive renderings without really trying.

Hi all.

I have a dilemma.  I need to produce some renderings of models that I have built in Rhino.  I'm not married to the idea of renderings that look pseudo-realistic, in fact, I'm not interested in that approach at all.  The point is, my computer couldn't handle it anyway so I need alternatives.

I've seen renderings of projects which look to be largely just flat white surfaces with outlining in black.  Almost like a hand rendering (if I had that kind of time and remembered how to do 2-point perspective, I would).

Something like these renderings from Lot-Ek.  

That second image almost appears to be a Sketch Up screen shot with lots of Photoshop.  But can a screenshot be high quality enough?  Thanks, any input or advice would be a giant help.

Oct 13, 11 1:50 am
dia

You can do that in Rhino - I use Rhino for all of my renders, with some photoshopping. You just play around with materials and lighting. I spend 90% of my time in photoshopping layering and adjusting. You can render curves and surface edges for example...

Oct 13, 11 4:03 am  · 
 · 
technophobia

I see more clipping masks with textures than rendering in the images, especially the first and third images. The sky actually looks like a simple gradient fill done in Illustrator. The second might actually be a penguin render (a rendering plugin for Rhino that actually does the 'cartoon' look very well).

Oct 13, 11 6:10 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

alexhogrefe.com has some great fast tutorials

Oct 13, 11 9:23 am  · 
 · 
elinor

do a really quick, cheap, low-res rendering and use the 'make 2-d drawing' command in rhino to create a line overlay in really fine lines. then collage in cad/illustrator.

Oct 13, 11 9:37 am  · 
 · 
trace™

IMHO, those renderings look pretty horrible (even looking back 15 years I think they look pretty bad!).  That's not what you were asking, but I thought I had to pass that along ;-)

Really, you don't need any lighting for these shots.  There are no soft shadows, no real materials.  I'd look around, there are some examples of some pretty good renderings using nothing more than a screen shot (more or less) of the 3D.

Oct 13, 11 10:15 am  · 
 · 

Thanks yall.  These suggestions are a big help. 

nagooyen, That penguin render seems a bit interesting?  I've never heard of it before and I would try that out if it didn't cost $95.  

trace, these were just the first renderings that I could recall that were examples of what I meant.  You could suggest your own examples.  What do you mean by "screen shot (more or less)"?

Oct 13, 11 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Trace is right, rendering usually implies some sort of virtual camera taking a picture of your model. These really appear to be shopped screenshots at best. There is no actual "rendering" involved because there's no digital processing of the image itself. The examples above are even bad by corporate standards which always lag behind by 3-5 years as they import fresh graduates in cycles.  

If you want examples of strong images/drawings then to go any starchitect websites, I'd start with OMA, Morphosis, BIG, Zaha, UN Studio, etc.  

Just my 2 cents, my personal favorite for rendering is v-ray. There are plug-ins for any program and if you are so inclined you may be able to procure a copy off the black market. Everyone has their own preference but the majority of rendering software does the same thing with a different interface. It's only when you get into more involved lighting/environments that they begin to separate themselves.

Oct 13, 11 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

...an aside...

is there such thing as a conceptual rendering with images of actual people for scale reference and what not that looks good?  if so... ive never... ever...ever seen it... please please please... just use shilouttes or something... l

Oct 13, 11 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

I have Vray.  I also have 3ds.  I've used both in the past.  I'll restate that the entire impetus for this post is because I have discovered that my computer can't handle those programs anymore. The poor guy is nearly an ancient 4 years old. Thus, how to make attractive renderings without really trying, or rather, succumbing to the limitations of my resources.

Oct 13, 11 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Lackey

I don't think anything is wrong with these types of renderings.  DS+R has managed to "just get by" for years with similar technique....  

Screenshots, then some considerable work in PS should do the trick.  Arguably doesn't save you much time but if your computer is a relic than that is a major factor.

I like this style too, and its nice to be able to use fully saturated colors this way.

Oct 13, 11 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
induct

We had a french intern who did this pretty fast with screen shots from sketchup, site photos, some cutouts and photoshop.  I am sure some won't like them but I think they are pretty fun.

Oct 13, 11 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

keyshot

Oct 13, 11 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I work for CHEAP!  i work in Snooker-doodle!

Oct 13, 11 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Any of the above could easily have been done without GI.  95% of a good rendering (I am not saying these are good or bad) comes down to the artist creating it.  Interior renderings are a little different, but overall approach things that way (not thinking about software/hardware limitations - I promise you, many of us were making full presentations with a computer/software that would make yours look like a super computer!)

Oct 13, 11 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

trace, those renderings look like they are trying pretty hard...

[particularly the wheat and pebbles.]

Oct 13, 11 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Agreed.  Just showing examples that a lot is possible without VRay or some snazzy computer (really, my iPhone is a super computer compared to what I started rendering with!)

Oct 13, 11 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

what is that monstrosity eating the tate modern???

Oct 14, 11 9:36 am  · 
 · 
bothands

H&DeM do often ride the line pretty well between overly real renders & artful photoshopping (though the people's shadows seem to be optional at times).

jk3hl: that "monstrosity eating the tate" is the tate itself, though the second version of this addition by H&DeM now in construction is a slightly tamed monster, after I believe they were forced back to the drawing board after presenting that scheme above.

(btw, my first time back to an archinect discussion in a few years or so - really nice re-do of the whole site some months ago by the way).

Oct 14, 11 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
fokt

All you need is something like Rhino with Vray and just do a simple rendering. You don't need lots of materials. Then Photoshop and sometimes Illustrator.

Oct 22, 11 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: