Archinect
anchor

Salary Negotiation

Dapper Napper

I have a meeting today to discuss a potential job offer.  It's our third meeting so I assume numbers will be discussed this time.  Does anyone have any advice for face to face salary negotiation?  I've only done it via email so I'm having a bit of an "oh sh*t" moment.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 12, 11 2:12 pm
shellarchitect

let them give a number first and ask to think about it overnight.  no need to agree to anything then and there

Oct 12, 11 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

I recently went through the being hired process... I would say:

1)  Definately do your research and have a strong understanding of what the salary range is in your city for your job title.

2) Be honest with yourself, your experience/education and place yourself where you think you belong in the curve (salary.com will do this for you based on some basic info)

3) Go into it knowing what you want to get out of it and remember compensation is more than just salary and includes benefits and holidays...

4) I have heard mixed responses for who should throw out the number first. Usually you're told to make them tell you what their number is first, but I have also heard that this can actually reduce the final offer amount because you feel like you have to counter only a little above their initial number for fear of seeming greedy... so I say go with your gut.

Good luck!

Oct 12, 11 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Hey Dapper Dan! I don't know what your level of experience is, but eventually one starts having a very strong sense of what their financial contribution to the firm is.

I've been in situations where I have felt grosly underpaid, and then in situations where I was grosly overpaid. Both had all to do with volume of work and how much they were billing the client.

I don't think I'll ever be keen on seeking out a salaried position again, but if I did, I would demand for a 3 month (no longer than 6) probation period where the salary can be discussed again. In the meantime discuss the range (say 50-75k) where the value of services potentially falls under, and then revisit the topic once you understand how the firm operates.

You are not a single number. You are infinity on some days, and zero on others. Such is creative productivity.

Unless this is your first job out of school, in which case $32K is enough. :)

Oct 12, 11 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Whoa! Hello Amy. Why yes, I do want some fruit.

Oct 12, 11 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Thanks for the input.  I'm licensed with 7 years experience.

I got the number I wanted.  It's been a different process, pretty informal since it was more them convincing me to come work for them.  I guess I was actually the first one to mention a number since he asked me to send them an email with my demands.  I gave them a higher range, 5k over what I was actually looking for.

Oct 13, 11 10:06 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

"salary demands" -- and we wonder why salary negotiations devolve into an adversarial process.

Oct 13, 11 10:30 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

That was a figure of speech, but in my case I should probably do more demanding.  I'm unique in being millenium generation professional with no ego.  I consistently undervalue myself and this time I made sure to put my "salary requirements" at an appropriate range  for my experience and expertise. I'm going from massively underpaid to finally  a respectable number. 

Oct 13, 11 10:59 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

Well, I applaud your assertiveness and congratulate you on achieving what you need. My earlier post merely reflected my long observation that both employers and candidates tend to lapse into that unfortunate 'turn of phrase' which, in my view, tends to create unnecessary tension in a compensation dialogue.

Either "salary requirements" or "salary expectations" works just as well - without prompting the associated tension.

Oct 13, 11 11:16 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

If they ask YOU for a number, ask them politely what THEY would offer you. 

Long story short. Went to multiple meetings with a big firm in a big city. First meeting: 4 project managers interviewing me, and they were all raving and drooling over my portfolio / resume. Sparked up the conversation and had them smiling and laughing. I charmed them good!  So I figured I got this job in the bag. Company had excellent benefits, and reputably. Paid everything, 7 sick days, 2 week vacation. I was feeling good after the interview... and a bit cocky about myself (my mistake). Third meeting the money question comes up. They asked me how much I think I was worth. With about 4 years experience and project managed quite a few projects... I threw down $45k on the table... which I believe is what I should at least be getting with my experience. They didnt counter with a number but told me that they have excellent benefits, and to think about that... they never countered with a offer however. So I was just expecting a contract offering whatever that they can. A month later of patiently waiting... I didn't get the job, a friend from school who doesn't have ANY professional experience landed it. I am guessing he threw a low ball offer. I was currently working at the time... and still am... so I didnt get butt hurt to much. I currently have no benifits, and getting paid peanuts ... (I think a pound of peanuts might be worth more than what I am getting) I am however getting an amazing experience in return and wrapping up my IDP. When it is time to move on I will do so. 

Lesson Learned. Learn from it!

Oct 13, 11 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Remember that salary's only one thing you can negotiate.  You can also ask for thjings like more vacation time (many firms offer 2 weeks but are willing to go to 3 or even more), more education benefits and sponsorship, etc etc

This was from way before the recession, but there was a time when I felt that corporate architecture firms would routinely give people offers one full pay grade below where they felt that person was worth or had the experience for.  With minimal effort, those who challenged this could get that grade back.  For example, I was once offered a certain salary by one large West Coast firm.  I asked to see if that was flexible at all... thinking to negotiate another $5k or so, but they immediately raised the offer by $25k (turned out that was the difference between the grade they offered at and what they were actually prepared to hire me at).  I didn't end up taking the offer (their offer was still lower than my best offer and it was in the wrong city for me).  

But, in short, they never intended the low number to stick.  So it's always worth asking... 

Oct 13, 11 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

in large corporate firms I believe that negotiating additional vacation time will be almost impossible.  free parking and salary much more likely. 

Oct 13, 11 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

shuellmi, worked for me (for another more recent job.. not the one I wrote about above.. which is from a long way back).  Big corp firm I went to had a two week policy.  Big corp firm I came from had a three week policy.  The new firm readily agreed to the extra week.  I think they were happy that I thought their compensation package was fair and that I didn't want to try to negotiate that.

Oct 13, 11 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

The idea that PTO was negotiable had never occurred to me until I talked with one of my non-architect coworkers.  She's been in corporate america for decades and has come to value her time off more than a few extra dollars.   And another PM negotiated extra days since she had a toddler. 

I negotiated my vacation time too: 3 weeks instead of the standard 2 weeks.

Oct 14, 11 12:32 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

At one point, few years ago, I managed to negotiate myself to 52 weeks off, in exchange for no pay.

I think quite a few other architects pulled off this feat as well. Sure, it sucked. But it was an abstract performance piece we done did.

Oct 14, 11 1:09 am  · 
 · 

I was actually speaking to a firm last week and inquired about their benefits package.

Apparently, one of the principals of the firm is somewhat of a fitness buff and 4 lucky people in the office asked for and received paid gym memberships to Equinox.

That's about a good $2500.

Oct 14, 11 2:52 am  · 
 · 
lmnop15

I'm bumping this thread because I have a similar question.  I have a job interview coming up at a fairly large firm and am expecting the salary question.  This is my first job interview out of school, I have a B.A. in architecture & I am a recent M.Arch graduate.  I only have one internship that was about 6 months long under my belt.  I know I'm green experience wise but I don't want to sell myself short when it comes to salary.  Any one have any good tips on negotiating an entry level salary? Needless to say I'm pretty excited to have a chance to interview at all especially at a firm I actually want to work at so I don't want to let my excitement get in the way of trying to negotiate a salary that I can actually live on.  Any tips would be helpful!

Oct 19, 11 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: